• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

Jethrotex

Smash Journeyman
Against level 1 computers. Usually just practice normal combos and some tech skill stuff too (FC stuff). But also stuff like monewalk (just in case if I need it in tournament). But like I said mostly Im working on my combos. It feels like it gives me more consistent skills.

But I do play other chars too when Im playing alone cause like you said they help your tech skill. But I also play other chars a lot in friendlis and I love playing them so ofc I wanna be good with them =).

And I think learning more chars is really good when you face those chars. It gives you more knowledge about how thigs works and why it works.
I love playing the other characters as well. And yeah, I might want to practice on level 1s, I don't want to condition myself towards computers. Feels more complete if I fight someone attacking me though and I can take it a bit more seriously. Wish there was online for this game :S I would never leave my house though lol.

And lol, I can't wait to see you moonwalking over someone in tourney.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I love playing the other characters as well. And yeah, I might want to practice on level 1s, I don't want to condition myself towards computers. Feels more complete if I fight someone attacking me though and I can take it a bit more seriously. Wish there was online for this game :S I would never leave my house though lol.

And lol, I can't wait to see you moonwalking over someone in tourney.
Online melee is looking likely in the future.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
I got my controller August of last year. my B button is kind of weird so I tend to shorten the illusion when I don't want to at times.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
I've been using the same controller since '01, and the stick is in prime form. Suck it people with controller johns!
Is it a purple one? Those first generation purple controllers are the best controller line EVER for gamecube. I still have a controller from 01 as well. I wouldn't use it competitively but damn, those things never say die.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
Is it a purple one? Those first generation purple controllers are the best controller line EVER for gamecube. I still have a controller from 01 as well. I wouldn't use it competitively but damn, those things never say die.
They still sell those? I would love to buy a purple one.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Purple and clear. It's one of the controllers that lets you just pull the control stick out as opposed to others which have the box the stick is in welded onto the controller circuit board. I think that may have something to do with why they are so beastly.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
All control sticks can just be pulled out... I've pulled my white ones out and put wii nunchuck sticks in there (same grip rule)

:phone:

Bones0

Smash Legend
Some are welded to the circuit board, and others you can just pull right out without any tools or hassle. I know they aren't all like that because I have 4 controllers + 2 Wavebirds, and only my purple and clear controller and one of the original styles of Wavebirds have removable sticks.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Bones: the control stick box is soldered to the PCB, but the actual control stick itself can be pulled out regardless.

buddy

Smash Cadet
Online melee? What? I need details. I need to know more about this. How? Who? When?

unknown522

Some guy
I only watched the first vid.

It looks like you do very little and then over-commit randomly (dash attack). You also get hit by almost every grounded laser he shoots because you keep trying to DD for some reason. Shield it, or jump over or something.

There are also a lot of times where he shoots or throws aerials too close but then you either don't punish, or get hit by them because of the way you're DDing. Try doing it faster sometimes so that you're not moving so far.

You can definitely rush this guy down because he does do little and barely uses d-air, or well-spaced lasers (shooting too close to you).

Also more punishment. Grab more. Use u-tilt and u-air.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Bones: the control stick box is soldered to the PCB, but the actual control stick itself can be pulled out regardless.
Well yeah, I know you can just pull the gray stick off. I am saying I can slide my control stick box in and out of the other part of the box that is soldered on to the base.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
omg omg omg

I was practicing dair > grab the other day, and after a few, I was like, "WOW. This is SO fricking broken. It's so dumb and guaranteed. Why would you ever do anything else?"

Dair > grab raaapes.

unknown522

Some guy
Lol. I did a combo in fox vs falco at 100% completely by accident thanks to controller

U-throw -> pivot high angle f-tilt -> shine. The hit offstage below ledge height so no chance for falco to recover

chillindude829

Smash Master
someone actually already set up melee online years and years ago (some kind of ghetto rig version i think, you could probably google it)

itll be a while before the internet in the US is fast enough to make it reasonably playable online though lol

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Yeah you need phantasy star online (rare these days) and a gc ethernet thing. Then after that you had to download some stuff to make ur gc connect to another one.

Like chillin said, its not reasonably playable due to lag. Also, random things such as luigi's sideb, peach's downb, and random stage elements make the games desync... I'll stick to melee the way itt is

rokimomi

Smash Lord
This time around, online is being worked with using the dolphin emulator. So instead of relying on another online system and tricking it into thinking it's melee, they are manipulating actual code within the emulation of the game to ensure certain things like desyncs due to random events dont occur. Also, they are in full control of what data they send and how much at a time, which may have had something to do with the high lag on the PSO implementation of Melee online (it may have been sending really unnecessary things at unnecessary times).

TL;DR, this is much different from the old way of doing melee online, and is more likely to work out, they claim to have a working semi-beta that they have already been playing online together with, so we'll wait and see

rokimomi

Smash Lord
It wont be like 10 frames or anything, it'll be more on the lines of ssb64, depending on certain factors of course. But definitely no tournament replacement (though no current online fighting game claims to be).

Bones0

Smash Legend
Yeah you need phantasy star online (rare these days) and a gc ethernet thing. Then after that you had to download some stuff to make ur gc connect to another one.

Like chillin said, its not reasonably playable due to lag. Also, random things such as luigi's sideb, peach's downb, and random stage elements make the games desync... I'll stick to melee the way itt is

They eliminated randomness, and they said it should be about 1-2 frames of lag when you play people within your region. Obviously any kind of lag with Melee sucks, but it'll still be playable to the point that you can improve online and then carry it over to real-world smash fests and tournaments.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
omg omg omg

I was practicing dair > grab the other day, and after a few, I was like, "WOW. This is SO fricking broken. It's so dumb and guaranteed. Why would you ever do anything else?"

Dair > grab raaapes.
Its not guaranteed. They can spot dodge it almost all the time unless you're really tight with the ratio of hits landed to l-canel-grab window. If that makes any sense?

Anyway, its not perfect. But yea it's really, really good.

Lovage

Smash Hero
as someone who played 64 online seriously for like a year, even playing p2p with people in california with 2 frames of lag the game still sucks **** cuz it's online. melee will be exactly the same, even if in 6 years people's computers are good enough to run dolphin at 60fps and everyone has 3gb internet, melee online will still have lag and it will still suck lol.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
They eliminated randomness, and they said it should be about 1-2 frames of lag when you play people within your region. Obviously any kind of lag with Melee sucks, but it'll still be playable to the point that you can improve online and then carry it over to real-world smash fests and tournaments.
What I would do is sync the random seeds, instead of eliminating the randomness. As for the lag, I seriously doubt you can consistently keep it below 2 frames. Most gaming servers HOPE to keep ping below 100ms, which is around 6 frames.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Its not guaranteed. They can spot dodge it almost all the time unless you're really tight with the ratio of hits landed to l-canel-grab window. If that makes any sense?

Anyway, its not perfect. But yea it's really, really good.
Yeah, that makes sense. So you can spotdodge right in between dair > grab. Ok, then. But if your only option is spotdoding, then....wow. That's pretty good.

Bones0

Smash Legend
What I would do is sync the random seeds, instead of eliminating the randomness. As for the lag, I seriously doubt you can consistently keep it below 2 frames. Most gaming servers HOPE to keep ping below 100ms, which is around 6 frames.

Well yeah, that's what I meant. They found the random seed, and they replaced it with their own random seed generator so the random events are the same on both ends. Just check the THREAD or WEBSITE.

Drill -> grab true combos. They can't spot dodge... We had like 5 pages discussing that. lol

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Yeah drill->grab true combos and if they try to spotdodge/roll your grab will still get them in the frames before they are invincible. Also if they just hold shield you'll get them. Its pretty relaiable.

Lovage

Smash Hero
i was able to get 2-3 frame times when playing p2p kaillera with ppl 6 hours driving distance away (isai) and this is with optimum conditions. i can't imagine melee netplay being better than 5 frame delay unless the dolphin netcode advances a lot.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Post it in the thread then, and maybe they can explain. Idk why Chillin randomly brought up online Melee in this thread in the first place. XD

chillindude829

Smash Master
actually kage randomly brought it up, get yo facts straight

edit: oh yea i didnt actually read the post kage quoted lol i guess its been a topic for a while now, point still stands that bones needs to get his facts straight

rokimomi

Smash Lord
It was brought up the page before.

Anyways, I'm still hopeful for melee online, of course it wont be like playing in person, but many people cant play in person even on a weekly basis.

Top Bottom