• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

unknown522

Some guy
Do you just dash away after you land to bait bair/stomp/roll OoS, or do you just utilt/bair immediately to beat them out directly?
Whichever that I think he's gonna do. I don't u-tilt much either. Mostly n-air.

As Long as I'm behind him, then they'll either try to sto, roll, shield longer, or WD oos. Well a lot of falcons will still try to grab even when facing the wrong way

:phone:

Tero.

Smash Champion
Is there any updated Fox video archive with videos of the last 2-3 years?
Jman, Mango, Zgetto, w/e

Lovage

Smash Hero
knowing when not to shine after aerials is the #1 thing that gives medium level foxes trouble. falcon is the easiest character to practice it on, his oos options are really bad overall, you can just cross up his shield with a nair/bair and then continue bairing the back of his shield with the correct timing and he is forced to roll in most spots.

the thing i'm solidifying now is how much you can do with tiny tiny waits during shield pressure. you start to realize the spots during shield pressure where they are forced to make a decision, and then you start to understand you can beat most of their oos options pretty easily if you react in time.

Grape Ape

Smash Apprentice
Aww Yeah got a Pinkie Pie band-aid on my bleeding thumb. Chyea :D
hell yea. I feel you on the ****ed up thumb, ive got a wierd callous thats half under my nail, which is also mad thicker than the other thumbnail now.

on topic...

how do i know when to continue shield pressure vs just grabbing them out of it? grabbing never seems like a bad option for fox.

Bing

Smash Master
I've always based that on what my tech skill will allow me to do + the size of their shield = My Response.

So if there shield is small, I might dair then shine it a few times and do some other things.

If its full.

Their getting up-throw(Or maybe back-thrown if I feel like being cheeky)

Grape Ape

Smash Apprentice
I always feel like a throw is a good option: i get complete control over them briefly and put them in the direction of my choosing. if i keep shield pressuring, its harder to ensure i hit them with what i want via a poke.

rokimomi

Smash Lord
Shield pressure is good if u are consistent long term. A smaller shield in its own right is a sort of pressure but you gotta stick with it. If you make it that much smaller, even running up to them and doing nothing looks like the scariest thing in the world and they may or may not roll more often in that situation. But applying shield pressure and then backing off into nothing and giving them time to run around is pretty useless imo. You impressed em, but so what?

Brookman

Smash Hero
I do so enjoy this game I can't help but return.

Shield pressure. . . . What an ambiguous and oft' misunderstood concept. If we could come to terms with what really applies pressure in-game at higher level (bracket) play. Then we might see a larger chunk of the fox players in the community taking bracket spots back. Not that I've given a **** about tournaments in years myself.. .

My friend confessed that he thinks the goal is to be able to break an opponents shield. *face-palm*

Fundamental game-play concepts need to come into question if you desire to really attain higher-level play.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
knowing when not to shine after aerials is the #1 thing that gives medium level foxes trouble. falcon is the easiest character to practice it on, his oos options are really bad overall, you can just cross up his shield with a nair/bair and then continue bairing the back of his shield with the correct timing and he is forced to roll in most spots.

the thing i'm solidifying now is how much you can do with tiny tiny waits during shield pressure. you start to realize the spots during shield pressure where they are forced to make a decision, and then you start to understand you can beat most of their oos options pretty easily if you react in time.
Lucky is really good at those small waits, and I've noticed that Falcon can't really do much about it, if you do them even semi-intelligently. I think it's a solid sort of mix up, but something of an important staple in the Falcon MU, cause he blows out of shield.

Grape Ape

Smash Apprentice
so what i gather is that the goal of shield pressure is to make them less inclined to use their shield and forcing them to make poor decisions?

Lovage

Smash Hero
@shield pressure topic

the point of shield pressure is to make their shield small so your aerials will shield poke. people play different when their shield gets really small, if you put them in a corner with a small shield (aka you just executed good pressure,) they're way more likely to attack you recklessly because they can't get pressured any longer. it's like guard break in guilty gear (my fav fighting game after SMASH)

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
I practice solo pretty often LOL but usually with a very specific goal in mind. I actually think it's helped my game a LOT.

My goal for practicing solo, btw, is to program a hack of melee that sets CPU's to tech randomly in a direction (or not tech). Currently CPU's just miss the tech, then roll away from you like 99% of the time it seems, and I wanna make a hack of melee that would let people practice reaction techchasing.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
the problem is finding time to start on that sort of project LOL

I think it'd look good on my computer science resume tooooo

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
I heard they found/can edit the AI script in brawl, but haven't heard anything about it in melee, not that I follow melee hacks at all though. Maybe it would make falcons realize how bad dthrow -> guess stomp 100% of the time is.

Lovage

Smash Hero
i can't be asked to practice solos anymore, cpus got too boring. i still might turn the cube on once a week or so.

Top Bottom