• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

Wake

Smash Master
It seems like whenever the main of a top/high tier messes around with one of the other top/high tiers, they react like "oh wow this character is so good like oh me gosh golly gee." And then they start running into the flaws or annoyances of using X character.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
It seems like whenever the main of a top/high tier messes around with one of the other top/high tiers, they react like "oh wow this character is so good like oh me gosh golly gee." And then they start running into the flaws or annoyances of using X character.
Fox has flaws?

PK Webb

Smash Champion
been watchin alot of vids and see sooo many styles of fox that work its hard to model ur fox after them.......ill eventually figure it out

twizzlerj

Smash Journeyman
been watchin alot of vids and see sooo many styles of fox that work its hard to model ur fox after them.......ill eventually figure it out
i feel the same way i want to copy some styles but i think i should copy a few if capable so i can always mix it up against an opponent. plus i need more practice partners. I'm trying to stay fox because i make mistakes at times and his recovery is better then falco's but i think when i get better i might swap to falco decisions decisions.

PK Webb

Smash Champion
well i feel like u take notes from different foxes and try to incorporate it into ur natural playstyle. just watched sw vs sion and noticed sw doesnt shine alot but then ill watch lovage vs amsah and its a shinefest. sw what inspired u to play like u do and whats ur take in shield pressure? like when u hit a shield do u prefer to move away from the shield or nair shine options???

idk. i wouldnt judge my style off of one set honestly. a lot of the time ill play in a weird way and forget to do key things in match ups. using shine a lot is def good, esp vs falco. idk what situations youre referring to exactly tho.

uhh i used to think if i could do the things pros did id be as good as them, so i practice tech. then i got ***** by m2k and started playing a lot more defensive. now im kind of in between styles and inconsistent with it. i think my set from apex vs wesballz best represents how i normally play vs falco.

as for shield pressure idk. i seem to go thru different phases of shield pressure lol. i like doing late nair shine repeat. i dont use enough shine grabs. vs characters like falcon i usually dont use aerial into shine pressure. i really like empty land -> shine -> move pressure.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I could give you some strategy advice, but its not as important as being able to execute. Work on your tech skill, I can tell you are full hopping sometimes when you intend to short hop and this is causing you to do things like land on the platform and spotdodge.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
FJ bair w/ momentum is better than FJ nair w/ momentum for comboing Marth out of up throw at low percents in a general sense. The AC + greater stun gives you a better chance of an illegitimate follow than nair does.

You also just up air after like 10% and then do generic 'opposing character is above me' traps.

After you got gimped your spacing became horrible. It kind of looked like Marth was more open to the idea of constantly running away at that point too. How comfortable are you against that style of play normally?

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
i don't play against marths ever, this was the first time in awhile. the running away got kinda old, i definitely could've just laser'd to force more approaches but idk i just didn't expect the keepaway, im not super used to keepaway

lmao lovage, i dont even know

Bones0

Smash Legend
0:01 - Learn to shai drop. :awesome:
0:05 - If Marth slides off far like that grab the ledge like you did, but watch for that side B or DJ fair to hit you off the ledge. It's a free shine spike. Just shine into an up-B stall so even if you miss the spike you still have the ledge and can maneuver quickly.
0:55 - Any time Marths attack significantly out of range like that they are baiting an approach. If you do approach, stay grounded with something like a running shine so you can be sure you will hit him.
2:08 - Nair into utilt would combo better there than the shine. Also make sure you don't get above the ledge when Marth is hanging. LH uair/utilt covers all options and will lead to easy utilt dairs a lot.

FluxWolf

Smash Lord
I stopped watching half-way thru (cuz i gtg :p) but I actually saw some good things too.. no one ever tells ppl what they did right XD

I like how when u were shield pressured with Fox how u full jumped and daired onto the marth 2 punish it. I feel like this is a good strat vs Peach especially, also shiek and marth situationally as they have pretty good up tilts

also yeah i saw u miss a shine spike when the marth over + B'ed.. u will get used to doing it on time but it really is free l0l

and good oos shine when the marth forgot to sweet spot the edge!

I always feel like Fox players only post matches of them on PS tho >.> zzz

EDIT: I'd really like to see more ppl using run up -> wd in place, and triangle jump/waveland mind games and such *(for example: i see falcos do it a lot for baiting something then they f smash them for the kill)

What are ppls thoughts on that and how it can be used in specific match ups? maybe it could be a good mind game to get a grab or near the edge a double shine or something! l0l

Bones0

Smash Legend
I've started using that SH into waveland back. It is so convincing, especially if most of the game you are using aerial approaches. I think a big reason it's more useful with Falco than with Fox is because Fox isn't slow as **** so he can just DD and usually get similar results with less risk. It's definitely mad useful though.

mesa23

Smash Journeyman
I've started using that SH into waveland back. It is so convincing, especially if most of the game you are using aerial approaches. I think a big reason it's more useful with Falco than with Fox is because Fox isn't slow as **** so he can just DD and usually get similar results with less risk. It's definitely mad useful though.
and it looks cool

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
I think it's more useful with Fox (at least for baiting DD grabs, which is probably its primary purpose) than with Falco because when people see Fox short hopping they expect an aerial move, whereas Falco might SHL so people are less hasty to try to DD grab.

FluxWolf

Smash Lord
Anyone got some general advice on fighting Peach? Her trades/punishment games is > Me... :(

Thats why I lose to decent Ganon players too I think... And Samus, hlep D:

FluxWolf

Smash Lord
Yeahh I feel like my BEST stage against them is DL64 compared to any other neutral cuz I can run away easier O_o.. just gotta work on it more.. GTFO WAKE :awesome:

FluxWolf

Smash Lord
***** next time we ****ing play ****ty ur gonna feel like im goin all yoda from star wars 2 on ur *** LOL

couldnt censor dodge this 1 -_-

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
i don't play against marths ever, this was the first time in awhile. the running away got kinda old, i definitely could've just laser'd to force more approaches but idk i just didn't expect the keepaway, im not super used to keepaway

lmao lovage, i dont even know
you basically have 3 options vs constant runaway

1) laser
2) corner them
3) overshoot

they all have their ups and downs

i think overshoot is the weakest strat of the three because of the nature of how overshooting works but it's still a decent strat

i think cornering them and then cutting off options is probably the strongest

lasering properly is really hard

Meneks

Smash Lord
EDIT: I'd really like to see more ppl using run up -> wd in place, and triangle jump/waveland mind games and such *(for example: i see falcos do it a lot for baiting something then they f smash them for the kill)
I feel like those are underused as well, probably lack of techskill? or it just might be something people don't tend to think about.. But it does work efficiently.

I try to implement wavelanding into a lot of my mindgames.

Or baiting preferably

Top Bottom