• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

If I respect the opponent as a player and human being and they suicide within 5 seconds or so, then I would reset because I am a huge scrub and actually care about winning my way (and have an ounce of 'fair play' inside me). If I don't (on either grounds) then I wouldn't.
yea me too. but only if they ask lol. if i sd like that i deal with it tho. unless theyre nice like sion and reset for me

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I learned the gentlemen's rule from PKM when I was a new player (he told me that all good players know of that rule. But I guess it died out at some point). It has always stuck with me since though.

But yeah, arguing the warrior's honor thing was pretty funny. Back at pound 3.

I am aware that SDing is your own fault. Pretty much the same as messing up execution and getting killed for it (story of my life). Like if he SD'd mid-way through the match then I wouldn't reset it obviously.

Still, if you guys are that opposed to what I did, then I won't do it anymore -_-
Still, if you guys are that opposed to what I did, then I won't do it anymore -_-
you stick to ur ****ing guns ryan don't let these bad players tell u what to do

Divinokage

Smash Legend
They wanted you to chaingrab and stuff because they wanted to test themselves against you at the best of your ability. They to see exactly where they stack up against you when you're playing your best. So obviously they don't want you to hold back.
Oh really? Well if that's what they thought, then they don't know me very well. They just brought out the darkness even more by saying that. What they think is not what I think, hehe.

I learned the gentlemen's rule from PKM when I was a new player (he told me that all good players know of that rule. But I guess it died out at some point). It has always stuck with me since though.

But yeah, arguing the warrior's honor thing was pretty funny. Back at pound 3.

I am aware that SDing is your own fault. Pretty much the same as messing up execution and getting killed for it (story of my life). Like if he SD'd mid-way through the match then I wouldn't reset it obviously.

Lolll, well.. that's how it is now, I don't think I'll change because having no mercy is much better well at least for me. =P

Edit: I mean letting a Fox recover is just another chance for me to get ***** as Ganon. I can't let that happen.

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
Yeah unknown, don't change that if it's not in your nature. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it; I was simply saying that if winning is your priority it's obviously not the right decision. If winning on your own terms if your priority, that's an entirely different story of course :)

Also, thanks foxlisk ^_^

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
Yeah unknown, don't change that if it's not in your nature. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it; I was simply saying that if winning is your priority it's obviously not the right decision. If winning on your own terms if your priority, that's an entirely different story of course :)

Also, thanks foxlisk ^_^
anytime. you have quite the history of agreeing with me on most things and it's nice of you to save me the trouble of typing them out :)

Aefice

Smash Apprentice
someone at a tournament yesterday told me i don't make the most of everytime i get hit in. they said i need to go for longer combos and learn combos that gurantee big damage.

what are the bread and butter combos on each of the top characters that i should perfect?

Aefice

Smash Apprentice
when is it best to tech chase with..

a) u smash
b) u air
c) regrab
d) dash attack

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Grab is almost always good. Up smash is sometimes better near the edge (and sometimes the immediate 18% is just tempting to hit). Dash attack is easy to hit and can't really be DIed through Fox, so it can be used as a positional tool or DI trap (although it's vulnerable to ground tech and non-tech shenanigans).

Aerials are mostly if they tech in a position where throwing the aerial at tech stand won't compromise your ability to follow them. So if they bulk of their tech roll away will be absorbed by the edge, or they're on a platform, then aerials are great. Otherwise, I think the other stuff is more consistent and reliable (particularly grab).

D

Deleted member

Otherwise, I think the other stuff is more consistent and reliable (particularly grab).
for fox specifically, i can't really think of a time when combo > grab isn't his best option given that he has an opportunity to do it. there might be a few fringe cases at the edge when dsmash/shine would be better?

but yeah i think it's safe to say at this point that we should encourage regrab whenever possible for this character. upthrow is just too stupid.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I think up smash is pretty good if you can make the DI trap near the edge because it's better at low percents (down smash sends NOWHERE). Otherwise, yeah, I'd probably almost always grab.

The sad part is that grab is still very good at the edge, but most Foxes don't really know how to work f-throw.

Lovage

Smash Hero
when choosing which move to tech chase with (grab vs. usmash vs. nair) you need to visualize what is likely going to happen if they have optimal/pro DI. for instance, if you tech chase with a grab, and they're right below a platform at mid-percent where uthrow bair won't combo, it might be better to just tech chase with usmash because it will have a guaranteed follow up.

edit: in the situation i'm trying to describe, imagine doing a tech chase grab into uthrow on the platform, and then platform tech chase with bair. imagine where they end up (at mid percent, they wont get sent that far, can easily sweetspot ledge with a doublejump.) but if you did usmash -> bair/nair, they would probably be sent a lot farther/be forced to recover

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
fthrow on marth is so silly. He has like a 50/50 guess to live or get shine spiked. Attack in and get hit by shine OoS or go for the edge and get shine spiked for not attacking

Niko45

Smash Master
I just do a timely air dodge against fox fthrow and tend to get back ok every time.

You can also DI in and get the ledge without needing a DJ a lot of the time, tho they can shine you immediately out of this, but you still have your DJ if this happens.

You can also drop super low and up B without using your jump at all.

Basically just don't jump back fair or try to DJ sweetspot ever.

Lovage

Smash Hero
i said it after apex, but i really want to reiterate -- javi is legit as ****. he's actually really really good.

having said that
1) he's not better than pp
2) not calling him the best fox main until after NWM (if he goes)

earla

Smash Lord
fox ditto.

what are the best options to counter the following:

a) sh nair shine
b) wavedashingback/dash dancing baiting anything to look for a grab

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I just do a timely air dodge against fox fthrow and tend to get back ok every time.

You can also DI in and get the ledge without needing a DJ a lot of the time, tho they can shine you immediately out of this, but you still have your DJ if this happens.

You can also drop super low and up B without using your jump at all.

Basically just don't jump back fair or try to DJ sweetspot ever.
Yeah most Foxes are really bad at observing when it's appropriate to grab the edge during gimps like that, or to toss out a bair (or similar) and combo it to shine (super low percents only).

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
I can never figure out the safest option out of a single waveshine, i usually nair or dair or continue are these good options?
On characters that don't fall over: Seth, the best thing you should be doing out of a waveshine is either a grab -> upthrow (uair), or upsmash (not on Marth though won't hit unless they DI in, just grab him, though mix up nair/dair shines). Dair isn't bad And you can get another waveshine in after or a grab even, but people can sdi, and nair will most likely get cc'd. If its like a falcon peach sheik, just infinite waveshine to like a dsmash at the edge or an upsmash or even a grab.

Characters that fall over you should learn2thunders if you can't already, but if they fall over they can tech it so you may need to chase them

Find me at state

Supposing I go

:phone:

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
i'm sure everyone's already aware of the strategy, but javi focuses on getting falco off stage better than any fox main i've seen. i'm sure most attempt the strategy, but most also seem to just attempt to rack up damage naturally instead, while javi is attemtping throws off stage when his opponent is at like 5%..

Niko45

Smash Master
You can still damage rack off some recovery options if it comes down to it while covering other options fully with gimping so I don't know why you wouldn't throw people off stage at 0 if the opportunity is there. It doesn't have to be an all or nothing play. Marth and Sheik do it so why not Fox?

EWC

Smash Ace
Reward/consistency.

If youre better than your opponent there is no need to be going for that type of stuff.

And if you're not then you'd be stupid to cripple yourself by not exploiting the one major weakness in your opponents character.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
fox ditto.

what are the best options to counter the following:

a) sh nair shine
b) wavedashingback/dash dancing baiting anything to look for a grab
a) dash dance grab, up tilt through it, bair through it, dash dance dash attack, up smash through it, d-tilt under it, shield > shine oos

b) out-wait them, corner them at the edge, overshoot some kind of attack, running shine > some kind of action to bait them, dash cancel into their space and do something, etc.

There's a ton more stuff you can do, especially with 'b'. Just experiment with your movement options and attacks. You'll figure something out.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
Reward/consistency.

If youre better than your opponent there is no need to be going for that type of stuff.

absolutely disagree. the only difference between getting falco off stage at low percent and getting him offstage after a combo is that he's at low percent. you have a shine either way. 60% guaranteed damage probably doesn't have a better EV than getting falco offstage and guessing.

Top Bottom