• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
thanks Raynex =D

using this technique, I beat a really good marth player tink, and almost ALMOST the best marth player in the midwest, dam right it helped

GIVE MORE ADVICE
dude what the hell... good ****. I just saw the results/videos... you did better than I would have probably...

I feel like I'm getting trolled or something; did the advice really make that much of a difference? You looked like you know how to play...

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
I felt like I did a little better today, after reading/trying to internalize what you said, Winston. So I can at least say that you aren't getting trolled.

sanchaz

Smash Lord
thanks Raynex =D

dude what the hell... good ****. I just saw the results/videos... you did better than I would have probably...

I feel like I'm getting trolled or something; did the advice really make that much of a difference? You looked like you know how to play...
I only troll when I'm hammered.

seriously, I read some of the **** thats on here, analyze it, and then put it into my gameplay. I'm not a very technical player, but I try to outsmart my opponent whenever possible. I should of won vs dart, but Igotta a little nervous goingtowards the edge game 3

and I want to kick *** in midwest and someday be on top, :). but then there's people like unknown, and hax, :(. so baby steps for now.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I only troll when I'm hammered.

seriously, I read some of the **** thats on here, analyze it, and then put it into my gameplay. I'm not a very technical player, but I try to outsmart my opponent whenever possible. I should of won vs dart, but Igotta a little nervous goingtowards the edge game 3

and I want to kick *** in midwest and someday be on top, :). but then there's people like unknown, and hax, :(. so baby steps for now.
Eventually, you are going to need everything in your gameplay. You won't be able to win if there's a weakness in your play since there will be certain players that will be able to abuse it. But if you are looking to fight the strongest players then that's what it will take to win. Just like Master Roshi says: "You'll always find someone stronger." lol.

Palpi

Smash Hero
I disagree, but I feel like it varies greatly from player to player. Like with falcon, some falcons hate FD against fox, and some love it. Personally I love fighting falco's and falcons on FD, because I feel like even though falco has his auto combos, fox has a lot of room to move around, and ofcourse..chain grab the falco.

sanchaz

Smash Lord
fd is the dumbest stage in singles. I feel like it's not neutral. it should be banned.

Winston

Smash Master
I disagree, but I feel like it varies greatly from player to player. Like with falcon, some falcons hate FD against fox, and some love it. Personally I love fighting falco's and falcons on FD, because I feel like even though falco has his auto combos, fox has a lot of room to move around, and ofcourse..chain grab the falco.
I think not having platforms hurts Fox's mobility more than the size helps.

The increase in comboing effectiveness is about equal for both characters

Winston

Smash Master
Speaking of Falco's combos on FD...

If they combo optimally (within human reaction time limits of course), do you guys think it's better to try and DI offstage, or to just take the damage and go to the center so you are at less risk of outright dying?

JPOBS

Smash Hero
the risk with DI'ing towards the edge is that you risk them copping out or doing something or unorthodox, like throwing in a random fsmash or something and you get trashed for DI'ing it away. Plus falco edgeguards fox really well imo.

I usually try to stay more in the middle and try to escape with ticks like sdi'ing the dair and if that doesnt work, make sure to hit the tech on the third down air so atleast i have a shot of getting out alive. If they mix you up with fair/nair/uptilt or something at tech percents, then god help you.

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
If you tech falco's downair and he expects you to tech, he gets a guaranteed followup; fox's techs suck *** so falco can just react to whatever you do.

It's sort of a 50/50; if they predict that you won't tech, they can uptilt --> stuff. The safer option for falco is to just try to react, and if you don't tech he can still try to follow you using lasers to keep you in a bad position.

All that to say... don't always tech.

Edit: Also, if the shine isn't stale, falco can just shine after the dair (at %s where you can tech) and just react to stuff. So that's a pretty cool trap... not much to be done about it, but I felt like mentioning it.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
You're telling me falco can consistently followup on fox's tech rolls off his dairs purely on reaction? I don't buy it.

Especially if, for example, you DI hard away (lets say left), he has to chase you then dair, if you tech back right, his momentum is carrying left, so he has to land, then come back right and follow you up? I'm not seeing it. This is just one example.

Can you link me to a vid of falco doing reaction tech chases consistently out of Dair combos? I've never heard this before. I mean, tech reads are one thing, but if what you're saying is true, either falcos aren't doing it because its too hard, or I must be woefully ignorant

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I think Druggedfox meant rather that Falco can continue to apply pressure with lasers even if he can't actually get there in time, so even though it isn't a true combo Fox is still in a really bad position.

Roboturner

Smash Journeyman
Whenever I play fox I like to dd or just dash straight ahead and then press down + upsmash. But sometimes I'll just stay crouched and look stupid. Whats the actual timing for this?

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Actually, that's a Cactuar thing (to my knowledge) but yeah it's actually just better / easier if you can get used to switching your hands. I tried it a few nights ago and dashing after the shine into up smash on Doc/Marth/whatever is now a lot easier.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Yeah it definitely is better :p

m2k/jman were the first people i knew to do it, when they came to a SMYM a few years ago. MW gets info like that at a different rate from the rest of the world

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
^

I use clawing for Peach. And this is my first time hearing of this. So I thought, "Well it's a method I use already, lemme try it out for a little bit and see how it works." Went to VS mode for about 30 seconds, and now I feel like I've found the holy grail of running upsmashes. =D

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I claw like all the time. too many instant aerials i need to do. also useful for u-throw u-air

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
i could never running usmash consistently with normal grip. i switched to claw grip for other reasons and i love it, gives me way more consistency on a lot of things. still miss my running upsmashes.....

sanchaz

Smash Lord
I tried practicing this today, and just kept failing, :(. I guess it takes time to learn this. sort of like wave dashing. I'm going to try to learn this technique before a really big midwest tournament happens two weeks from now. Will I be able to learn this by then? and I mean against another human player, and be able to feel conident enough in tourney to use this skill?

Top Bottom