• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

Bones0

Smash Legend
I use Y and A for nairs and have no trouble. I also get full mobility with my control stick, and I have never had an issue getting the aerial out quickly enough because my thumb rests on both Y and A. I keep the tip of my thumb on Y and the first joint on A, which lets me do any combination of Y -> A or A -> Y presses with varying timing. I could see how Z would be even better for nairs though (as long as you use L to L-cancel).

X button is horrible. I feel bad for anyone who plays spacies and got into the habit of using X. LOL

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
im with v00rhese on this one, i dont think the [potential] frame or two lost from going from x/y to C/A is comparable to the spacing potential lost. But i also agree with strong bad to do w/e the **** is best for you

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
All you guys that are having issues with the sensitivity can *probably* just learn to SH with the new sensitivity. I've had that issue with I think 3 different controllers, but I decided to just keep practicing with them until I could SH consistently even with the most sensitive of them. Of course, its certainly possible that some of these are way too sensitive to be practical for SH'ing, but I'd like to think otherwise.
mine was way past that threshold of being practical.

I hadn't realized how easy it was to sh with up until I tried several other controllers. I had both shane and otto try it and they suggested I just use buttons lol. which is why I shdl with x or y.

mine requires something like a quarter of the norm or else it full hops. maybe less. however, my c stick disconnected and I have to saunter the wires to the board..its worth it tho.

:phone:

Brookman

Smash Hero
im with v00rhese on this one, i dont think the [potential] frame or two lost from going from x/y to C/A is comparable to the spacing potential lost. But i also agree with strong bad to do w/e the **** is best for you
Well then, I think you and voorhese are NOOBS D8<

T9??

X button is horrible. I feel bad for anyone who plays spacies and got into the habit of using X. LOL
mofo

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
saunter is such legit vocabulary
but it is not the same thing as solder

Brookman

Smash Hero
saunter is almost as good as dangle.

Description of saunter - American Heritage® Dictionary

To walk at a leisurely pace; stroll. A leisurely pace. A leisurely walk or stroll
Description of dangle - American Heritage® Dictionary

To hang loosely and swing or sway to and fro. To be a hanger-on. To cause to hang loosely or swing. To cause (one's expectations or hopes) to hang uncertainly or remain unresolved. ...

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
All you guys that are having issues with the sensitivity can *probably* just learn to SH with the new sensitivity.
yeah I had otto try short hopping with it and he couldn't do it consistently so **** that LOL

edit: oh LOL kline beat me to the namedrop. 2 shay

JPOBS

Smash Hero
drill->waveshine with the intentions of grabbing presents its own problems like them SDI'ing it (on purpose or accidentally) and then the shine misses then you get *****.

Drill->grab is actually legit and basically true combo's on everyone anyway. If you're endgame is to get a grab, you might as well drill->grab and save yourself the hassle/techskill of waveshining, especially if against Sheik and Samus cuz they have those janky body contortions.

IMO.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
I agree with jpobs. I was foghting cpu sheik last night and sheik tended to sdi a lot. So drill grab.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
This is slightly off topic but I think i should post it. Against someone who SDIs drill so that you don't know which direction the shine will hit them, you can shine and WD in place and dash for a grab before they leave hitstun. Might not work on marth, but it definitely works on falcon, sheik, peach, ect

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
it's not hard to SDI drill lol, it isn't even hard to SDI sheik's needles while recovering.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
Yeah, I know. That's not my point. My point is that sinji is essentially saying "i tried playing a level 9 for the first time, and i am going to extrapolate that experience to put into practice against human players"... which is a very sinji thing to say.

Lovage

Smash Hero
drill is easier to sdi the more hits actually connect. this is why those big ledgehop drills have really fallen out of style for me, because ppl like s2j have a really easy time sdi'ing away so that the shine misses and he can grab me for free.

when doing a ledgehop drill, first of all you should only do it when it's guaranteed to hit because they did something laggy or messed up their spacing. when you know it's guaranteed to hit, you should fastfall as soon as possible (while still being able to be inside them when the drill hits) and use as little kicks as possible to decrease their chances of sdi'ing it away.

this strategy can be applied to all of your drills, but you'll find that it comes more naturally to some drills rather than others. tbh, sdi really isn't as common/easy as people make it out to be, and it's not something you're gonna struggle with against most people. 90% of the time if you think people are "sdi'ing your drills," in reality you just ****ed up and didn't hold forward during the move so you ended up too far away from them lol.

even then, keeping this in mind will make your drill combos more consistent

❀W.E.M.P.❀

Mote Of Dust
Does anyone else feel like they play fox differently depending on the color? I feel like I am more technically sound when playing green, play more aggressive with red, and play smartest with blue. Not sure if I am just making myself play that way, or if the color effects my mood.

Also I am having a hard time keeping momentum with fox. How do you guys just keep moving around all sexy like???

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
I'd like to add that ledgehop drill seems to work better on some characters than others - for example I have more success using it against Peach than against Falcon or Samus (because those characters go into that weird flinch animation when they get hit by drills etc. I guess)

speaking of drill into stuff, isn't drill to jab a real combo? I mean, if drill utilt and drill grab both combo then drill jab should as well. I was thinking of maybe using this to combo into usmash against like Peach at around 90% or so, since even if she CC's the jab she'd get grounded; anyone ever try this sort of thing?

edit: @W.E.M.P. I don't think you should make "constantly moving around" a GOAL. You can keep momentum as fox without running around a lot. You don't want, for example, to overextend and put yourself in the corner just because you're on the offensive.

❀W.E.M.P.❀

Mote Of Dust
Good advice, I am hoping to record some matches this week, if I upload them can i post them here for critiques? I think the most realistic character for me to settle down with (been jumping from character to character for the last year or so ) with is fox, since I can only go to tournaments/fests, etc. one every month at the most ,so I can at least practice tech stuff.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
If that's your reasoning for playing Fox, then go with Falco instead. Fox is too high-maintenance of a character to see any success in tournament without a lot of experience imo. Also too susceptible to shakiness in the form of bad tech skill days or tournament jitters. Falco, you can get gimmick wins off of just about anybody. Or, if you plan on practicing that much between fests/tourneys then just pick up both, lol.

I'd like to add that ledgehop drill seems to work better on some characters than others - for example I have more success using it against Peach than against Falcon or Samus (because those characters go into that weird flinch animation when they get hit by drills etc. I guess)

speaking of drill into stuff, isn't drill to jab a real combo? I mean, if drill utilt and drill grab both combo then drill jab should as well. I was thinking of maybe using this to combo into usmash against like Peach at around 90% or so, since even if she CC's the jab she'd get grounded; anyone ever try this sort of thing?

edit: @W.E.M.P. I don't think you should make "constantly moving around" a GOAL. You can keep momentum as fox without running around a lot. You don't want, for example, to overextend and put yourself in the corner just because you're on the offensive.
drill jab combos. im pretty sure drill grab doesnt combo, but its still really reliable.
drill usmash combos tho. you gotta hit with the 3rd hit of the dair as the last hit tho. maybe some other hits too after 3

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
hmm. grab is the same number of frames as usmash, so if drill usmash does indeed combo, then drill grab can be a true combo too

edit: oh yeah, and for this reason, anytime waveshine into grab is possible, waveshine into usmash is possible as a rule (both moves are 7 frames). but grab is often easier to connect with/more reliable since it goes through shields obviously

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
drill grab is a true combo in the sense that the opponent can possibly leave hitstun before your grab connects, but a buffer spotdodge has 2 more frames before you are invincible so it will still connect even if they try to escape.

edit- also yes, drill->usmash does true combo under certain conditions.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
yeah the best thing they can do is time a dash away to get out of drill grab. Additionally it depends on your opponent's weight on whether or not drill -> something other than shine/jab will combo. for example, drill -> usmash/grab/sh nair/sh dair combos against pichu, but not against Bowser.
good **** on drill jab tho Otto

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
So I watched KDJ's vids from the recent MM. Still mad jealous at his combos. I wish I knew a way to come up with combos for myself. I only really know cookie cutter stuff. I understand that a lot of combos are "on the fly" so to speak. But everyone seems to have those specific % combos that they try to do and if they connect look awesome. I need more of those.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
It depends on your opponents weight class.

Ganon> drill grab
Falcon> drill grab or nair grab
Marth> nair grab
Peach>nair grab ( if she di's down after canceling her float with nair).

Btw What do you guys think about nair>dtilt against ices?

BigWenz

Smash Ace
I use Y and A for nairs and have no trouble. I also get full mobility with my control stick, and I have never had an issue getting the aerial out quickly enough because my thumb rests on both Y and A. I keep the tip of my thumb on Y and the first joint on A, which lets me do any combination of Y -> A or A -> Y presses with varying timing. I could see how Z would be even better for nairs though (as long as you use L to L-cancel).

blasphemy. x button is only bad for like shdl (i honestly dont think its possible but im probs wrong) i find x button fine for everything else.

Beat!

Smash Master
blasphemy. x button is only bad for like shdl (i honestly dont think its possible but im probs wrong) i find x button fine for everything else.
I can shdl with X. Only semi-consistently, but still.

I never understood the "X works bad for spacies" notion. The only useful technique I've really had a little trouble with is LDDL with Falco, but I've got that down as well now.

:phone:

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
X kinda sucks for waveshining, too. You can do it, it's just that most if not all things spacies rely on can be done more easily with Y than X.

Then there are those of you who short hop with the control stick.

I envy you.

Top Bottom