• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
How do you get discouraged by placing 9th at a huge tournament right after coming out of retirement ... <_<

*Edit*
Maybe it wasn't huge
whatever

unknown522

Some guy
It's not supposed to go above 18. 18 is the highest amount you can influence your trajectory by. t - t0 is trajectory - your DI
For example, let's say you're DIing a move that sends straight up (90) to the right (0).
I'll use a more accurate formula that uses absolute value bars in the sin² argument and takes into account that a 45 degree angle input is 0.707, not 1.
the cos(t0) changes to sin(t0) in cases where the input angle is between 45 and 90. (or any comparable angle on the unit circle)
18cos(t0)sin²(|t-t0|)
18cos(t0)sin²(|original trajectory - trajectory DI|)
18cos(0)sin²(|90-0|)
18*1*1
18 is the resulting difference from the original trajectory. Your new trajectory is 90-18 = 72

Or Falco's dair, where you DI at 20 degrees.
18cos(t0)sin²(|290-380|)
18cos(380)sin²(|-90|)
18cos(20)sin²(90)
18*0.93969262078590838405410927732473*1
~16.91
~17
290 + 17 = 307

Some other things come into play with DI though, like the fact that the place where the control stick is isn't perfectly circular. Sometimes, going into one of the notches even though it's not perpendicular is better because you have more absolute distance from original trajectory that way.

Toph: falcon's knee is indeed 32, and Sheik's fair is 25. Falco's dsmash is 25, his Dair is 290, Doc's bair is 28, Falco's shine is 84, Fox's shine is 0.
Link's ending hitboxes on his Up-B are 0, Pika's tail spike is 0. Anything else anyone want to know?

It's important to realize that forward is considered 0.
YES! I ****ing love math!

also, we had to make space on my friend's laptop (Riddlebox), so I uploaded these matches so that he could delete them off of his hard drive:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnI5pvOMo4o

chillindude829

Smash Master
oh yea, def works, i know raynex was saying you have frame disadvantage in that situation but i rarely get punished for any aerial on shield to full hop falling uair

u got like 40+ damage off the ensuing combo right?? rofl, so good

Fernandez

Smash Journeyman
It's not supposed to go above 18. 18 is the highest amount you can influence your trajectory by. t - t0 is trajectory - your DI
For example, let's say you're DIing a move that sends straight up (90) to the right (0).
I'll use a more accurate formula that uses absolute value bars in the sin² argument and takes into account that a 45 degree angle input is 0.707, not 1.
the cos(t0) changes to sin(t0) in cases where the input angle is between 45 and 90. (or any comparable angle on the unit circle)
18cos(t0)sin²(|t-t0|)
18cos(t0)sin²(|original trajectory - trajectory DI|)
18cos(0)sin²(|90-0|)
18*1*1
18 is the resulting difference from the original trajectory. Your new trajectory is 90-18 = 72

Or Falco's dair, where you DI at 20 degrees.
18cos(t0)sin²(|290-380|)
18cos(380)sin²(|-90|)
18cos(20)sin²(90)
18*0.93969262078590838405410927732473*1
~16.91
~17
290 + 17 = 307

Some other things come into play with DI though, like the fact that the place where the control stick is isn't perfectly circular. Sometimes, going into one of the notches even though it's not perpendicular is better because you have more absolute distance from original trajectory that way.

Toph: falcon's knee is indeed 32, and Sheik's fair is 25. Falco's dsmash is 25, his Dair is 290, Doc's bair is 28, Falco's shine is 84, Fox's shine is 0.
Link's ending hitboxes on his Up-B are 0, Pika's tail spike is 0. Anything else anyone want to know?

It's important to realize that forward is considered 0.
What the hell are you talking about

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
How much frames does foxes JC grab take up?

Im thinking grabbing fox after the jab during thunders combo.

Im thinking about uairing falco after the jab during thunders combo.

Btw, Happy belated Unknown.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
8 frames. 1 frame to enter jumpsquat, then 7 frames of grab.

Fernandez: Do you want to ask an actual question the answer to which could help you understand, or are you just trying to be funny?

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
grabs are 7 frames. u cancel your jump during knee bend. u will add 1 to 4 frames on your grab depending on how fast u do it.

I was told that "thunders" was nair shine jab reset to sh u air, not just a simple jab reset. but yes that works, and grab works too. low percents I like sh uair into up tilts and then some aerial combo...cg on fd vs falco.

against other characters if u get a jab reset id probably grab.

:phone:

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
standard toaster or stratocaster has been working on hit boxes, there is a thread in about half of the character specific boards that have hit boxes. u can also find some on youtube.

Lovage

Smash Hero
i prefer to just think of a thunders' combo as waveshine -> jab, because an experienced player will choose between uair/usmash/grab/late nair etc. depending on their percent and stage position.

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
i prefer to just think of a thunders' combo as waveshine -> jab, because an experienced player will choose between uair/usmash/grab/late nair etc. depending on their percent and stage position.
fair enough

but, late nair?

I'd have to imagine that uair, usmash, and grab are all much better options than a late nair, being that they have guaranteed follow-ups...

how would a late nair work in that situation?

also, it is fun to chain thunders' (waveshine -> jabreset -> waveshine -> jab reset), but it's just a mix-up, not totally reliable

Lovage

Smash Hero
lol i mostly thru late nair in there for my own ego. i think it can be a good option at lower percent right by the edge (yoshi's story comes to mind,) because it usually combos into doubleshine. and this opportunity to edge guard at a really low percent often trumps the advantage you could have gotten from grab -> uthrowing and attempting to continue your combo on the platform.

in general though, i think that thinking about combo variants like that is an important exercise in making you a more versatile and adaptable player, and this variance and creativity in movement and punishment is what makes melee so interesting to me.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I like to just stand there. It's very satisfying.
Jab reset -> nothing.
Like "naw ***** I didn't need to do anything else."
your opponent will be like "...what?" and start questioning himself

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
If you do that to my DK, I will grab you while you're still in your grab release animation and then combo you into death.
It will be hilarious.

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
lol i mostly thru late nair in there for my own ego. i think it can be a good option at lower percent right by the edge (yoshi's story comes to mind,) because it usually combos into doubleshine. and this opportunity to edge guard at a really low percent often trumps the advantage you could have gotten from grab -> uthrowing and attempting to continue your combo on the platform.

in general though, i think that thinking about combo variants like that is an important exercise in making you a more versatile and adaptable player, and this variance and creativity in movement and punishment is what makes melee so interesting to me.
Low risk, good reward, situational, nice

Thanks lovage, my versatile variations involve ftilts in combos lol

Top Bottom