• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

chillindude829

Smash Master
well, examples of players that drill to nothing to falling uair strategy has worked on consistently are m2ks marth and haxs falcon... so i think its pretty legit. and idk if falcons grab is just really slow but i know for a fact hax attempted grabs as soon as he could after a drill and i still falling uaired him. as far as shine OOS, i def wasnt trying to say uair is nearly as good of a "get off me" type move, just that its useable in a lot of similar situations as where you'd shine OOS and will definitely lead to more damage

did u see how often i was using it vs jman? i think its more reliable than ur makin it out to be

u do make a good point about its hitbox, but in my experience basically everyone i play has trouble hitting it consistently, even fox/falco players that know its coming

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Haha Raynex, Marth and Peach hardly have broken edge games in my opinion if you're talking about making it back from the ledge

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Going to bed now, so I'll reply to your post tmr Chillin : )

Wenbob: Notice I said TWO of those characters had broken edge games. I was referring to Marth and Sheik, and no, not their recoveries.

Their ability to take stocks by simply hovering by the edge and gimping you over and over again. Camping the edge and luring people into their space is such an insanely good strategy that nowadays the best idea is to just not approach them at all and give them that space to work with. That breathing room alone is such a good advantage against spacies. Most characters have the hardest time simply keeping them out and have no answer to their move spam. Against good Marth / Sheiks its in our best interest to not run in and get thrown into oblivion. The draw of such power and stage control usually tilts the minds of Marths and Sheiks descending from above, and they d.i. towards the edge OR onto it in an attempt to get their space back. But again, predictability = weakness.

Night guys.

edit: HAPPY B-DAY RYAN!

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
I read that a little incorrectly
Whoops

I was just thinking about how I totally retreat to the ledge all the time when I play Fox and can ledgedash well
S2J would probably call me wimpy

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Happy bday unknown

Gotta say, after watching the zenith vids, chillin might be my favorite fox player. I haven't said that in a long time.

I really like how u use the uair. I'm sorta understanding the situations you use it in, its a very strong offensive tool when used correctly.

Cyrain

Smash Ace
Chillin has been practicing his *** off with me, Azen and Tope to get good again as fast as possible. He's finally legit again and sometime soon, I suspect he will be placing regularly in the top at nationals.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
I like to call missed techs with SHFFL uair (or drill sometimes haha) and then you can cover tech away with re-grab. It's kinda like Falcon's stomp/grab techchase.

FoxoF

Smash Cadet
Chillin has been practicing his *** off with me, Azen and Tope to get good again as fast as possible. He's finally legit again and sometime soon, I suspect he will be placing regularly in the top at nationals.

Assuming he actually carries on playing after getting to the top...

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
dair>shine is legit combo right? Do you HAVE TO fastfall the dair? Cause sometimes I see foxes dair>shine but it doesn't look like they're fastfalling.

Palpi

Smash Hero
Chillin. I tried nair to full hop FF uair and it works..I naired the shield and during his shield grab I got the full hop FF uair in.....i love it!

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
can i just mention briefly how much fun it is to spam uair (falling and just regulary sh uair) against players worse than you? 'cause it's super fun. you get the stupidest combos off of it and they're really bad at stopping you from abusing it.

Brookman

Smash Hero
I like to spam shffl up air > nair/bair/dair/uair on the back of ganon players shield's (and chase the roll/stuff the attempt to jump out. )

<_<

Cyrain

Smash Ace
I think he will keep playing for a while. He said he was retiring, but now he's the best he's ever been and so am I. I keep saying I'm going to retire, but as long as I'm doing better and better I guess I'll keep playing.

Also, my falco experiment is failing horribly. I'm so frustrated by it. Think I'll be going back to Fox for Genesis.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Just holding a direction with the control stick moves you pretty far
It just takes one or two (probably 1) smash DI inputs to get out of a full drill

Brookman

Smash Hero
c-stick = asdi, but asdi is not as significant as sdi by the control stick.

it should be noted that you can't input sdi (or asdi) in the same direction, frame by frame. If you've every seen TAS smash di you'll have noticed that the players go in a 'zig-zag' motion. In other words, if you are trying to SDI and ASDI out of the drill or up air you should not tilt the c stick in the same direction as the control stick.

you could also consider rotating the control/ C sticks in whichever direction over 45 degrees.

Also, if you haven't read this already, I recommend you find Doraki's guide to DI, since its pretty much the best guide ever.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Im considering giving up fox as my main. I've had a lot of fun with him, and I think he is a really strong character, but I'm too inconsistent with him and I find I like sheik, marth and falco more. I'll probably keep fox as one of my secondaries though (especially because he is still flat out my best character)

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
o

it should be noted that you can't input sdi (or asdi) in the same direction, frame by frame. If you've every seen TAS smash di you'll have noticed that the players go in a 'zig-zag' motion. In other words, if you are trying to SDI and ASDI out of the drill or up air you should not tilt the c stick in the same direction as the control stick.

you could also consider rotating the control/ C sticks in whichever direction over 45 degrees.

Also, if you haven't read this already, I recommend you find Doraki's guide to DI, since its pretty much the best guide ever.
thats not true. the only reason u cannot frame by frame sdi in the same direction is because the game reads that as holding that direction. ASDI is whatever direction u are holding the frame after hitlag and its value is half any single SDI input. c stick however has priority in ASDI over the control stick. the only reason TAS zig zag is because u can get farther inputting on every frame....HUMANS CAN'T DI LIKE THAT. u should smash in the direction u want to sdi and rotate a quarter circle. depending on the attack there are more optimal places to smash and rotate from simply based on the fact that there are only 4 rotational points that register sdi in any given direction aka 4 rotating left, 4 rotating right.

what this means for fox's multi hit drill....hold c stick away and mash the control stick away for the duration of u getting hit. they should be held/mashed directly left or right. it works because you get asdi on each hit, so holding the c stick alone (or control stick) on a full drill is fine...but rapidly mashing the control stick as well may get u a sdi input which u might need if u get hit with a partial drill.

tldr; hold c stick directly right or left and rapidly mash the control stick in the same direction.

:phone:

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
Well, it's not so much that there are "8 points that register SDI" so much that there are 8 points where, if you're rotating the control stick and pass those points, the game sees your stick as being in a "new position" and therefore you get a fresh SDI input.

Semantics, I know.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
yes, you can press the control stick in any direction to cause a SDI. There are 8 points on the stick that will register an input of SDI if they are passed over during hitlag

JPOBS

Smash Hero
Cyrain your falco is very unique and i really like the stuff you do with him. But your fox is clearly more battle hardened and tourny tested and better overall.

Brookman

Smash Hero

o
thats not true. the only reason u cannot frame by frame sdi in the same direction is because the game reads that as holding that direction. ASDI is whatever direction u are holding the frame after hitlag and its value is half any single SDI input. c stick however has priority in ASDI over the control stick. the only reason TAS zig zag is because u can get farther inputting on every frame....HUMANS CAN'T DI LIKE THAT. u should smash in the direction u want to sdi and rotate a quarter circle. depending on the attack there are more optimal places to smash and rotate from simply based on the fact that there are only 4 rotational points that register sdi in any given direction aka 4 rotating left, 4 rotating right.

what this means for fox's multi hit drill....hold c stick away and mash the control stick away for the duration of u getting hit. they should be held/mashed directly left or right. it works because you get asdi on each hit, so holding the c stick alone (or control stick) on a full drill is fine...but rapidly mashing the control stick as well may get u a sdi input which u might need if u get hit with a partial drill.

tldr; hold c stick directly right or left and rapidly mash the control stick in the same direction.

:phone:

wait, which part is not true?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
it should be noted that you can't input sdi (or asdi) in the same direction
In other words, if you are trying to SDI and ASDI out of the drill or up air you should not tilt the c stick in the same direction as the control stick.
Those. ASDI will happen in the direction of your cstick (or control stick, if the cstick is neutral) at the end of hitlag regardless of your SDI.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Sveet is correct. ASDI will happen at the end of hitlag, SDI will occur during hitlag.

EWC

Smash Ace
Brookman recommends doraki's DI guide, says it's "best ever".

Demonstrates a failure to understand one of the key distinctions from said guide.

>mfw

never change

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
just like how JC shine cancel's jump, but shine JC means canceling the shine with a jump

Top Bottom