• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Well there's 2 things that really liked that Chillin did.. He did Drill.. do nothing jump behind bair.. that was smart lol. And the Nair into dash shine when Falcon was still in the air into shinespike was sexy as hell too. lol. The creativity is being revived, I like. =D **** robotic foxes.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
It's just the hardest part with Fox is recognizing what to do when. Like if you dair, will the opponent SDI? If he does, now you can't just shine mindlessly like I see a lot of people do... You gotta mix it up, recognizing that mix up is probably the most important part of Fox's play because you need that split reaction to determine what to do next. Throwing a move when you don't hit the opponent is risky as hell. Make sure you hit him all the time. =P

Lovage

Smash Hero
full hop drill-> full hop falling up air

get at the kid's 2011 metagame.

i hate to be that guy lol, but that **** really only works on noobs

vs. the people i play, there's absolutely no situation where they'd try to shieldgrab when i full hop after a dair

edit: i mean when the uair actually hits, using full hop uair/bair after they shield a dair is actually really good vs. falcon

Cyrain

Smash Ace
I'm a huge advocate of nair or dair on falcon's shield into immediate jump over their shield with a bair. I love the back of Falcon's shield =D

FoxoF

Smash Cadet
So I have a question, a nooby one at that, but you were all noobs one day.
I’m getting good with approaching a shielded dude with shffled nair to shine, but if the guy is still in shield, then my fingers don’t seem to know what to do next. It would be awesome to do another nair, but I use x to jump. I see a lot of foxes manage to pull out that second nair after their second short hop REALLY fast, and I guess they use the control stick to jump instead.
So, what do you guys reckon?
Would it be pretty useful to learn to do that shorthop with the control stick (/y button)?

Thanks

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
I dunno, plenty of people use X/Y to shine SH nair. I do it. You just gotta practice, it comes with time. It's definitely difficult, lol. Just keep working at it.

Brookman

Smash Hero
So I have a question, a nooby one at that, but you were all noobs one day.
I’m getting good with approaching a shielded dude with shffled nair to shine, but if the guy is still in shield, then my fingers don’t seem to know what to do next. It would be awesome to do another nair, but I use x to jump. I see a lot of foxes manage to pull out that second nair after their second short hop REALLY fast, and I guess they use the control stick to jump instead.
So, what do you guys reckon?
Would it be pretty useful to learn to do that shorthop with the control stick (/y button)?

Thanks
Shining, short hopping, (x)-air'ing, and fast falling vs. nothing, a hitbox, and a shield all have very different timings.

If you can easily short hop out of shine without hitting anything you need to recognize there is a degree of difference between timings (due to lag in-game)

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
Yeah, different timings for all of those different targets. Try shining a shield and jumping out of it as soon as you possibly can, if you do it fast enough, you shouldn't move at all. This is because shields cause the most hitlag, and if pressed too fast, the input for the jump is pressed while you are still in hitlag from shining. Thusly, the input does not register, and you don't jump. Coming in second for hitlag is hitting your opponent. And whiffed moves, of course, have no hitlag.

I use Z to Nair, and Y to shorthop. Use whatever method is most comfortable for you.

Just spend time practicing the timings for all three.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Thinking about something regarding follow up a shine semiclose to ledge. Everyone knows there is a option to hold down into the stage (not sure lol) to get the ledge after getting shined, "preventing to get shinespiked".
Is it possible(by frame data, on any char) to be able to take them in their fallanimation before they get the ledge when holding the correct get ledge way?

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
my controller doesn't let me short hop with up anymore lol. I used to, but now it's too sensitive on the vertical axis haha

voorhese

Smash Master
well wouldnt it be better to jump with x/y anyway? so you can hold a direction right away with out having to go from up to like right or left?

voorhese

Smash Master
but ur not free to be holding right or left to move your character right away. I just assume everyone uses c-stick.

but then again i guess you would be trading the time to be able to throw out an aerial in return for instant aerial mobility. and oos options i guess you would want the aerial out asap.

Lovage

Smash Hero
using up to jump has the advantage of being able to do aerials faster and easier, but you're disadvantaged because you get slightly shorter distance on your aerials (a much bigger deal than i used to think)

i've been using up for everything for years but if someone brand new asked me how to jump i'd tell them to use y or x

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
All you guys that are having issues with the sensitivity can *probably* just learn to SH with the new sensitivity. I've had that issue with I think 3 different controllers, but I decided to just keep practicing with them until I could SH consistently even with the most sensitive of them. Of course, its certainly possible that some of these are way too sensitive to be practical for SH'ing, but I'd like to think otherwise.

Top Bottom