• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
sveet's right tho. it has no place in the forums, name calling doesn't make your post any righter than it already is, and it discourages people from asking questions. I remember when I was new/bad, im just lucky I was able to ask shane/otto in person.

I will say that if u are on the newer side of the game you can hold off on some of the advice given, or try to make sure u really put some thought into what u are saying.

:phone:

Divinokage

Smash Legend
My my.. do we have to be all wishy washy all the time? It gets boring after a while. Truth is most people suck, and well.. of course some people are looking to improve but.. there's limits after a while.. lol.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
but when somebody says something wrong, just correct them or help guide their thinking.

telling them that they suck doesn't add anything constructive. I will say there are times u gotta call people out, but in general just empty insults don't get anybody anywhere.

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration
Kline, you might as well go tell the 3298928928 other Smashboards members to not call names anymore. I support your post completely, but this is the internet. Him calling people names should be irrelevant. The last time name calling hurt me was during secondary school.

Name calling, in this situation, is just another way of expressing one's opinion. Simply in a more aggressive and uncalled for manner.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
I just think that it's hilarious how basically every single item he listed is wrong
My stomach hurts from laughing

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
I can only ask, im not an enforcer. and im only talking about this board specifically. I like the fox boards, and id like at least this thread to be as constructive as possible and I feel that im not alone in sharing that thinking. im aware that its the internet, but that doesn't mean people can't stop making excuses and be responsible for their own actions.

if people want to call names then they will, what harm does it do for people to ask that they don't? im not planning on being the name calling police. but there is nothing wrong with having higher standards for discussion and respecting everyone who posts here.

edit: not to mention that if all your post says is sinji is awful, its a terrible post to begin with. so im doing you a favor palpi. step yo game up pimp lol.

Brookman

Smash Hero
vs ganon what do u do against aerial jab. even after they jab it feels like they can move immediately afterward
Let them move immediately afterwards and wait for something you are comfortable punishing.

You can punish the jab if your dash dancing (read: spacing) is tight enough.

;]

try down tilt under jab, watch for ftilt/forward b. if you're spacing out the jab you are probably spacing out the grab. if he jumps, dash attack/up smash. if he rolls. . . LOL.

just play faster but with control (over your self and your surroundings)

Webb dude you coming to the next hog?? I might bring my wii so you can mod it for me but if I do I'm gona need some collateral (your wii, for example)

You can sort of translate this style to vs. sheik but she's a little faster and has longer ground moves that are actually useful.

Alternatively, watch Jman and try to apply the **** you see him doing into your own game. Part of this comes back to my line about

just play faster but with control

Palpi

Smash Hero
I wasn't trying to be a ****, though what I said was pretty mean, and I understand that. It is just...every single one of his posts is either something that doesn't work, doesn't make sense, or doesn't apply.

I will try to not say mean things ever again, my apologies sinji

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
While his stuff doesn't work, its good that he is enjoying the game, exploring options and learning. I think he would benefit from the practice partners many of us take for granted.

Palpi

Smash Hero
Hm, I agree. I was out of line...even after I posted it I was like "wow, im a ****" haha

On a more productive note!!! :awesome:

Sveet, you play against Rat right? Have any advice for the samus match up? I feel like whenever I try to approach I get DD ->punish or CC dsmash/dtilted. Should I just camp with lasers/bairs?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Playing against Rat has taught me lots of things about the game on a whole. Specifically, key things to remember is samus can hold ground well but has a hard time taking ground. One of her main weaknesses is that her air options are limited so samus can be put in many difficult situations if you can force her to retreat to the edge. Remember that lots of characters like to dash/wavedash backwards against your approach to punish, and samus is no exception. Overshooting with dairs is quite effective against this since she can't CC and it racks up damage fast. You also have to learn to space her zone precisely as giving too much room and she will WD away and defend herself and too little room will make you eat an upb OoS. If you manage to break past the outer spacing (generally the ftilt/utilt zone) you can space bairs in the middle zone between that and the range of her Upb. Also i like to grab since i think samus players are generally not used to being thrown and it makes them (at least rat) think carefully about shielding. The punishment isn't exactly great but you can use it to force space with fthrow/bthrow or attempt a followup with uthrow or dthrow (neither are guaranteed but can lead to stuff if you make a correct call)

Lol blocks of text/

edit- tbh id like to know what sort of a commit samus would have to do to punish the overshoot dair. Im thinking the only realy options are pivot ftilt (bait the overshoot with a dash and stuffing it) or maybe something a little more elegant like dashing into shield and using fox's crossup to his disadvantage to take the middle.

Palpi

Smash Hero
thanks for the tips, I will try to utilize them next time I play samus. My friend is worse than me, so it will be hard to do some of these things, since he doesn't always punish me for my mistakes, but I have found that wavedash oos -> shine/upsmash is a good way to punish samus on your shield...atleast to punish smashes or tilts on your shield.

Can I get away with a nair->shine->fadeaway nair on samus's shield to avoid up-b oos?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
no samus' upb has invincibility in the startup so it will beat any move you do after the shine. I believe she could also upb after a non-late aerial and have it come out before the shine or be invincible during the shine (in which case her upb will win because of duration). Late aerials and spacing on the shield are the safest options at the top level.

Im all for doing something until you are actually punished for it tho. At least youre a step ahead in case this starts happening :D

Brookman

Smash Hero
probably can't get away with that, since she won't be in shield long enough for you to jump out of your shine. . . unless their timing is bad.

HOWEVER, if they are trying to time it vs. your shines specifically you can get away with not shining, since they won't have their cue.

Just food for thought.

NOW, Probably the most food for though. . . if you space the first nair you won't have to worry about spacing for the up b since you will already be spacing. . .

Palpi

Smash Hero
Oh lol. Well it was 2 posts ago, which made it confusing. LOL truth about spacing the first one and not worrying about anything, but if I do **** up atleast I know I could have...soome options..possibly.

Palpi

Smash Hero
neat :awesome:

I remember toph saying something about practicing tech skill when edgeguarding samus since it takes forever for her to recover. Obviously a joke, but I do it for the lulz :)

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
one of the best things you can do vs samus is bait their up B. when can successfully do that you get more leeway in terms of pressure.

samus players mash trying to get off as soon as possible.

try things like nair into shield, u can easily dodge a shield grab so only worry about up b. punish that **** with uair as much as u can.

LASER. when u reflect missile make sure you jump, less lag in the air.

as far as over shooting dair, sveet is pretty solid about what happens, they can use it against u, but only adjust if they do.

I find that things like circle jumping with alot of dash dancing are pretty good for making samus a little jittery, where u can try to punish a lagier move with a grab.

ive been using down throw and trying to get off an up smash, but anything that gets samus into the air will at minimum put you in a better position.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
i assume circle jumping is just another term for triangle jumping. sounds familiar to me.

FireFly

Smash Lord
Moonwalk towards left, initially jump up and right, momentum towards left, waveland right, moonwalk towards left... And that's how you perform the Ω moonwalk, or circle jump.

Brookman

Smash Hero
Triangle jumping is very situationally useful. . . I will stand by this. Also, circle jerking around samus is only useful when she's not in her chozo suit.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
IMO triangle jumping has lots of applicability

compromise, conformity, assimilation, submission, ignorance, hypocrisy, brutality, the elite

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
toph-***** ill circle jump around the crack of yo *** lol.
no homo

LOL, just because u haven't heard of it, then it doesn't exist; I feel it-and that the first place you looked was youtube, try searching smashboards next time.

strong bad-like I said, I got hit stop directly from toph. I exclusively said hitlag before then. only terms I ever made up are ascenshining and two stompin lmao.

LOL brookman. but yea I think triangle jumps are useful. ive never seen good use as fox, but ive found some use as mewtwo and I was impressed at the way Ka-master used them to wave dash through things like marth fairs and f smashes. im sure fox players could find a way to make use of it. maybe we are wrong but I still think its under used atm.

Top Bottom