• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

L__

Smash Master
I like shining Falco players

repeatedly

until they die

again and again

until I win

there's no stopping me

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
i like it when fox players laser camp me, too.

also i love how many like low level tournament players i see in vids these days using bairs as shield pressure in horrible situations. like, they see the top level players using it well, spacing out with it and going for shield stabs, and then they just hit shields right in the middle with the weak part of their bairs. it's cute.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
RaynEX: utilt does in fact beat dair but it's pretty rough to time it in my experience. If the falco's on a platform above you and can drop through at any time I wouldn't rely on it. Trading usmash is good though, especially at high percents. If you can do it consistently then hell yes go for it but it seems like a risky strat to recommend in general.
RaynEX said:
No platforms:

-Utilt has the potential to cleanly beat dairs coming from above, if timed correctly.

-Usmash isn't as reliable, but combos well off of traded hits so don't count it out. Utilt should be your primary choice if you ever plan on beating it clean. Less lag = not much risk if you miss.
At first they were talking about platforms, then about dair being better to come down with as Falco. So I wanted to touch on both scenarios; Falco on a platform above you, and without a platform above you.

I wanted to say that you can use utilt / smash when there are NO platforms involved. As in, he's coming from high above, unobstructed. Standing under a platform and trying to beat his dair is obviously a bad idea lol

I love laser camping vs. falco players.
Camping him can be effective, but not with lasers. What's your reasoning?

Brookman

Smash Hero
When I see bad falco players all I do is shine them. I will finish a game having dealt 30-50 damage routinely.

@Rainex: Assuming they are literally trying to camp, just out maneuver them and deal more damage by shooting lasers faster. I usually will just take a platform and wait for them do full jump/double jump and run in on that. If they full jump/double jump and commit to lasering a shine spike is mandatory.

otherwise I just shine and up smash the **** out of them cause they're playing falco.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
At first they were talking about platforms, then about dair being better to come down with as Falco. So I wanted to touch on both scenarios; Falco on a platform above you, and without a platform above you.

I wanted to say that you can use utilt / smash when there are NO platforms involved. As in, he's coming from high above, unobstructed. Standing under a platform and trying to beat his dair is obviously a bad idea lol
oh, lol, sorry. didn't pay close enough attention to the structure of your post. i still maintain that utilt is too hard to time to try to beat out a FH/DJ dair cold, but it's definitely a valid option if you can pull it off.

L__

Smash Master
I played a 99 stock match against a falco player and dealt less than half the damage he dealt me

Tomacawk

Smash Master
I usually will just take a platform and wait for them do full jump/double jump and run in on that. If they full jump/double jump and commit to lasering a shine spike is mandatory.

otherwise I just shine and up smash the **** out of them cause they're playing falco.
None of which is laser camping. "Shooting lasers faster" is really broad. Any falco with a brain isn't going to mindlessly shoot lasers, they will be analyzing your movements and shoot lasers accordingly. You hit them, they take damage. They hit you, they **** up your inputs, stop you cold, and force you to quickly readdress where you are, the animation you're in, and plan your next movement accordingly. It's really rare that you're going to out maneuver a falco while lasering them on any map other than dreamland or kongo.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sf6132dcZjg
lots of laser camping here, oh and tons of usmash. You did a great job platform camping, too.

Don't you feel bad when you give people poor advice? You have an incredible amount of posts here, videos that are four years old, and you still have so much about this game wrong.

Speaking of which, I'm really considering quitting. I don't have the money to travel to tournaments in the midwest, and I've really lost my desire to read/post anything worthwhile on the forums. The only thing keeping me close to this game is the friends I have made through it.
Honestly, how many of you see yourselves playing smash a few years in the future? I cannot place myself there, still being a gamecube warrior. I just can't see it.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
ive spent the last 5 years assuming the community would fall apart or i'd lose interest and i still love smash and hope it keeps going... quit if it's nto fun anymore, but don't quit because you're growing up or some stupid ****.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
The community itself is enough for me to stick around. I've been playing it for years and the scene we have in Toronto is comprised of some really awesome people. It comes down to how much you really enjoy playing the game. All the people I've have met, places I've been, and times I've shared with the people that enjoy Melee have been indescribable.

This game shouldn't be the focal point of a person's life, but the release it provides from our frenetic schedules is hard to reproduce. Chilling and playing smash, going to tournaments...that **** feels like I'm on a another planet sometimes. My town and everything familiar is left behind and everyone is literally doing and talking about something I find insanely addictive.

Right now I've found a way to make my life work where smash fits, without taking too much time from my other priorities. Toma, I can't see Melee adding anything particular negative to your life , so why rid yourself of it? Its hard to imaging tossing away years of hard work, too.

Tomacawk

Smash Master
Well, sunk costs won't factor into my decision to play or quit, so throwing away all my hard work doesn't really mean much to me. I play the game because it's fun; I get better because I try to master things by nature. If I spend my time doing something, I'm also spending my time improving at what I'm doing. I can't help but push myself in this way.
I'm a cashier at Kohl's. I HATE work more than many of you can probably realize--the prospect of selling my time (which is invaluable) for something as ridiculous as <$9 an hour is a travesty. Nobody should have to do that. But since I'm there anyway, I use the time to practice my game--I literally hit on hot girls, their moms, and (yes) even their grandmothers. Why? I can use these skills in my life. I socialize with the guys and become their "bro". It's all great practice and relevant to my life. I also calculate people's change in my head without relying on the computer, and I calculate their percentage off coupons--it's fun to me, and it's good practice. I like staying sharp.

Smash and I just seem distant right now. The last tournament I didn't go to was only a 45 minute drive away--I chose to sleep rather than to go. And this is after so many sleepless/3 hour slumber tournaments...

Brookman

Smash Hero
congrats for ripping a friendly match out of my youtube channel.

Yes, the majority of my matches are exceedingly old because I decided to go to college, have a 3+ year relationship with a woman, earn >$20.00 an hour, run my own business in my off hours, and gamble away all my earnings in the stock market instead of playing smash tournaments. Even now, when I do attend tournaments, I can still beat and compete with the majority of players out there anyway.

Why are you mad tho?

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
I see myself playing at least 2 more years.I LOVE the game, I enjoy practicing tech skill to do new flashier and more effective things, and I enjoy the scene we have in WA. Our tourneys are fairly small but we do have a scene tho, just an inconvenient location and somehow very few ppl drive lol.

I think the only thing that would pull me away from the game would be an immature community. Every now and again I take a look from the outside and shake my ****ing head. I went to a Marvel tourney up in seattle and everybody there seemed wayyY ****ing tighter than the average smasher. But Im down to play pretty much as long as my friends keep playing and the good of the community outways the bad.

I kinda have a feeling that Ill probably practice my tech skill even after I officially quit tho

Tomacawk

Smash Master
I feel that Kaostar. It always bugs me to see so many anime avatars, references, and sigs. A lot of the community is very immature, rich and spoiled, materialistic, in it for the money, etc. But then again, this describes the average person pretty accurately.
congrats for ripping a friendly match out of my youtube channel.
congrats for showing that the way I play is not at all representative to the way I tell people to play, although it is equally bad.

irrelevant johns that you think mean something to people [me? very wrong if that is aimed at me] and use to boast as a way to support your ego and somehow validate/qualify yourself
Why are you mad tho?
Not mad, I just dislike you and love picking at you. You make it too easy.
Adding brookman to my block list :)
wow this is actually pretty sweet, his posts are invisible now. Ignorance is bliss!

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
I loved the competitive play since 06. Im sad to say that im the last Jamaican smash player.
I wont give up.
I dont plan on leaving at any point.
I remember after Genesis me and my friends started a community at a local gameshop. then it got closed down cause of $ issues. then the leader of the Jamaican smash community decided to have it at his house. the room was pretty small but we had two t.v.s in there. smash all night just friendly rivalry pushing each other to the limit. then in september, we started hosting tourneys. straight hype all night.
We where expanding our community from 5 people to 12 people. then people stopped showing up. Some would change there interest from smash to street fighter then MVC 3 came out and everyones playing that right now. Its just me left. I would go over there and play against cpu. so i decided not to go there any more.

I want competition but no one cares about smash in Jamaica any more,

unknown522

Some guy
i like it when fox players laser camp me, too.

also i love how many like low level tournament players i see in vids these days using bairs as shield pressure in horrible situations. like, they see the top level players using it well, spacing out with it and going for shield stabs, and then they just hit shields right in the middle with the weak part of their bairs. it's cute.
yeah, it's so true

JPOBS

Smash Hero
I feel that Kaostar. It always bugs me to see so many anime avatars, references, and sigs. A lot of the community is very immature, rich and spoiled, materialistic, in it for the money, etc. But then again, this describes the average person pretty accurately.
we definitely have very different communities and experiences then.

"materialistic" is probably the last word i'd use to decribe a group of people willing to travel hundreds of miles, cram into cars/hotel rooms with 5-10 other guys, often without much sleep, food, or comfort.

rich and spolied smashers are rare. most of the smashers i know are broke as hell. and really, who could be in it for the money? in any given community theres really only 3-5 people even capable of making money from this game, so I find money to be a unrealistic motive for most of the community.

maybe our experiences are just vastly different.....

agreed about anime tho. I don't care for it.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
spoiled smashers dont exist in Jamaica.

I never met a smasher thats in it for the money. The people i hang out with are broke.

The only thing thats on there minds is progression. Wanting to improve on there gameplay. To have a sense of pride in themselves when they win a match.

Heck, I dont even think about how much prize $ the grand Champions getting after a tourney.

battousai555

Smash Ace
It always bugs me to see so many anime avatars, references, and sigs. A lot of the community is very immature, rich and spoiled, materialistic, in it for the money, etc. But then again, this describes the average person pretty accurately.
I fail to see what anime has to do with anything. Elaborate, please.

Tomacawk

Smash Master
It's all a matter of perspective. People I consider rich are probably not people you consider rich.
And materialistic was the wrong word. I don't really want to talk about it now--I was being too judgmental. The community as a whole is fantastic in my experience. I simply hold people to unrealistic standards.

As far as anime is concerned, I'll expound as politely as I can:
I think that anime is childish, distracting from important things, and a waste of time (I think the same about the vast majority of television programs). I realize that it is an art, form of media, and culture that I cannot appreciate. It's just annoying to see it all over the forums, with people talking about it all the time, displaying banners of their various anime allegiances (what they watch) , etc. You could probably say the same about some of the rants I've had and various drug related exchanges with people.

tl;dr haters gunna hate on a public forum where you can say pretty much anything you want

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
You have a point their Tomahawk. This is smashboards. Not facebook or twitter. The purpose for smashboards is to improve your gameplay whether it be SSB64 Melee or Brawl. I guess having alternative forums on the site like anime e.t.c. is annoying.

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
Eh, it shouldn't be annoying if you just don't browse the specific forum you dislike..as that's where those things are generally discussed.

I agree that alot of anime is/can be very childish, and I rarely watch any ever, but I do know that not all of it is that way, and it can be very deep/complex if you find the right ones. it all depends on the age group the anime is intended for. I personally thought Death Note was pretty ****ing smart/mature, it's the only full anime series i've stuck through, as it's not cliche for anime. That's just one.

As for waste of time, I think that's pretty judgey, since youre basically calling a form of entertainment a waste of time, which is what I know you do on a daily basis, whether it be smoke, smash, go to the movies, game, or anything that isn't "productive". Waste of time is all subjective and personal opinion!

I know you kinda called it out already, but jus' sayin.

Lovage

Smash Hero
LOL this thread is ***n funny sometimes

-laser camping falco is a ****in dumb idea imo

-brookman plays pretty much exactly how i imagined LOL

-don't see myself quitting ne time soon, this game's still hella fun to me

edit:

-anime sux (cept berserk)

battousai555

Smash Ace
Saying that any art "sux" is just...sad. I understand if you dislike anime, but if you can't appreciate the fact that it exists then I feel sorry for you.

Maybe some of you haven't seen any "good" anime. A good place to start: pretty much anything by Hayao Miyazaki ("Nausicaa of the Valley of The Wind" and "Princess Mononoke" are ****in' amazing).

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
Chillens a great fox main. I liked the combo flow in the last match.

I think he placed ninth or thirteenth place at Pound V. Correct me if im wrong.

In the first match Redd side b Chillen while he was light shielding and Chillen got caught in it twice and droped down. Im working on the Marth matchup, (its my worst matchup).

I thought that the light shield would protect fox and force him to touch the ledge. This is an interesting thing to talk about because theirs times when a lot of fox mains mess up their edge guard against Marth.

linkoninja

Smash Journeyman
Saying that any art "sux" is just...sad. I understand if you dislike anime, but if you can't appreciate the fact that it exists then I feel sorry for you.

Maybe some of you haven't seen any "good" anime. A good place to start: pretty much anything by Hayao Miyazaki ("Nausicaa of the Valley of The Wind" and "Princess Mononoke" are ****in' amazing).
That's like saying people are "sad" for not liking rap or religion.
The things exist but some people just don't like them. Why? I dunno, but to each his own I say. Anime just isn't for some people, so let them be.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
Heres the ledge hops i know. please tell me if theres any more.

shine>turn around Bair
drill
ledge hop grab.
ledge hop nair
ledge hop waveland
ledge hop side b
ledge hop >waveland>turn around utilt

TemPesT-

Smash Lord
for some reason i find it hilarious that the first option from the edge you put it shine turn around bair lol

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
If the character is near to edge you can jump over them turn around and grab. Its kind of like a mind game.

Top Bottom