• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Heres the ledge hops i know. please tell me if theres any more.

shine>turn around Bair
drill
ledge hop grab.
ledge hop nair
ledge hop waveland
ledge hop side b
ledge hop >waveland>turn around utilt
fox can ledge hop all his aerial
ledge hop shine> aerials
can also turn around in his shine

u can wave land into anything, or (or turnaround) shine wave land into anything.

same exact thing for all his special moves, follow the pattern.

I recommend wave land empty unless an opportunity presents it self, then shine, grab, d smash, or up smash after the wave land.

:phone:

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
If people start saying that everyone has a pocket Falco now, I'm not touching Falco ever again lol.
hey captain unique, literally everyone plays falco because he's so ****in different/exciting . there is way more pocket falcos than foxes.

..sorry i just hate it when people say things like 'oh if everyone does/likes this, i don't anymore' ..hipsters.

the falco part is still true tho

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
not really that weird, falco is in essence a slower version of fox, same exact moveset, your just getting the rhythm down at a more relaxed pace. I tend to do this also.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
hey captain unique, literally everyone plays falco because he's so ****in different/exciting . there is way more pocket falcos than foxes.

..sorry i just hate it when people say things like 'oh if everyone does/likes this, i don't anymore' ..hipsters.

the falco part is still true tho
Oh I didn't know Falco was different and exciting... wait so does every other character!!! It depends on the person! So ya I'm not touching Falco ever again, **** him, I'm going to be different!

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
Oh I didn't know Falco was different and exciting... wait so does every other character!!! It depends on the person! So ya I'm not touching Falco ever again, **** him, I'm going to be different!
i know it generally depends on the person, but it's not very easy to say that the majority of people would have as much fun playing, say pichu, or zelda, or any slow crappy character over a fast paced character with a wide variety moveset, EASY lengthy combos, with fast projectiles etcetc. He has alot of excitement going on with him as a character.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Who cares about the majority or anything like that, this isn't really a democracy as to why Falco should be more exciting. Fortunately, it doesn't work like that.. lol.

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
Who cares about the majority or anything like that, this isn't really a democracy as to why Falco should be more exciting. Fortunately, it doesn't work like that.. lol.
Who cares about the majority? Clearly you do if you're attempting to be so unique!

I'm just stating that alot of people have a pocket falco for the reasons i've listed, besides the obvious of him being good. He is an exciting character to many and that contributes to the large scale of people playing falco. i'm not trying to convince you that Falco is more exciting than whoever you[obviously] main.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
I personally prefer warming up with fox. Falco feels janky as hell when not warm and his lasers feel stupid.
anti conformity is also a kind of conformity in itself. In fact, not doing something purely because others are doing it, is probably even dumber than doing something because ppl are.

food for thought

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I personally prefer warming up with fox. Falco feels janky as hell when not warm and his lasers feel stupid.

anti conformity is also a kind of conformity in itself. In fact, not doing something purely because others are doing it, is probably even dumber than doing something because ppl are.

food for thought
It's a good thing I live in the heart then.. I'm not bound by stupid duality like this. =)

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Ya I want too but.. not sure about my chances though.. it's like 1k to go or something, it's a bit much, I would need to somehow find cheaper tickets..

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
If anybody wants to be unique...There are a few spots left in the Shadow League

On a more serious note, ppl dont come here to read this worthless banter, does nobody have anything to say about Fox McCloud? This board has a reputation to uphold.

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
Why do you guys always go for reads in situations you don't need to? Example: fox dittos on FD. When landing a solid combo hit, you can pretty much literally react to almost every single thing your opponent can do. What confuses me even more is when there's only 1 option you *can't* easily react to, but then people try to read something that you could have reacted to (aka there's only one situation you should have bothered trying to read). It's not just lower level players, but lots of the higher level foxes as well.

Lots of people reading this might do "duh" but I very rarely see fox players try to fully implement the extent to which you can combo off reaction vs spacies. I personally try to do this as much as possible, but oh well.

/random foxmccloud discussion since kaostar asked

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
@DF because a charged usmash tech read pays off way more highly than a reactionary shine/grab techchase? Because the psychological power of reading your opponents tech, going to punish it, and them still rolling into it is likely to win you whole sets whereas a mechanical techchase isn't?

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
@DF because a charged usmash tech read pays off way more highly than a reactionary shine/grab techchase? Because the psychological power of reading your opponents tech, going to punish it, and them still rolling into it is likely to win you whole sets whereas a mechanical techchase isn't?
You can react with upsmash as easily as you can with grab (they both come out in 7 frames). Additionally, while that is true to an extent, I think there's a certain psychological advantage to your opponent feeling literally helpless (when they realize you react perfectly to everything). On top of that, if you predict/guess wrong you've lost something guaranteed; alternatively, if you go for something guaranteed it can lead to more guaranteed things.

For example on FD:

Upthrow --> upsmash. No tech = jab/upsmash, anything else = regrab/upsmash. Rinse repeat until upsmash doesn't lead to tech chasing. At that point upthrow--> nair. After nair follow the same process described earlier, but try to regrab more for tech chases. Also, if you realize they haven't teched before you're close enough to actually hit, I like dair resets (idk for sure, but I think its probably harder to SDI one hit of a dair into a standing position vs a jab). This eventually leads to an upthrow weak nair upsmash, or something of the like.

Without chaingrabbing (which I know many people prefer not to do on FD) you've effectively done something guaranteed, which paid off as well as if not more than a charged upsmash. Obviously I don't expect people to do this exact string consistently, but often a charged upsmash isn't even that great for punishment besides the initial damage. As I said, I think the psychological aspect of "no escape", if you can pull it off for an extended period of time, is just as scary as getting read.

Edit: I just see this everywhere. I saw a colbol shiz fox ditto from one of their recent big tournies and that was ALL over the place (the reads/guesses). I watched a set of redd vs chillin that *just* got put up? Same thing. So annoying >_>

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
you can't argue with losing stocks, mechanical tech chasing pays off way more. its more reliable and u end up doing more damage than a charged up smash.

id be much more fearful of an opponent who reacted to my techs than one who is just guessing.

I think that people go for the big bang to end their combos. often times its unnecessary, fox has too many options.

:phone:

unknown522

Some guy
awww, that sucks.

I hope you find a way there though. That'd be awesome.

edit: "The maximum amount of posts on this page can display has been reached. Posts will now start to disappear from oldest to newest."

wow.

Lovage

Smash Hero
reads can make you more confident in your reactions, if you feel like they have a tendency to do something specific, when that situation comes again your fingers are gonna react faster to it. at least that's how i feel it works for me.

while making your combos reliant on reaction as much as possible is a good policy to strive for, prediction and reaction will always go hand in hand as u get better at the game, so it's not like you should lose confidence in your prediction just cuz ur trying to tech chase better lol.

aaaaand @ unknown i don't think that means the beginning of this thread is gonna get deleted, i think it's just posts on this thread are gonna fade away and get replaced until you refresh cuz of the new live-posting ****

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
^Yeah of course; I usually expect something when doing mechanical tech chasing, which greatly aids me in reacting to the more difficult to react to stuff. That said, I don't really think something like wavedashing backwards and charging an upsmash is something that people should be doing in fox dittos on FD in a serious set.

Top Bottom