• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

Brookman

Smash Hero
It functions as an alternative to wavedashing because the dash away (first of all, is faster) creates space and then turning inherently creates more.

not needing to shield would be a bonus, but generating that slight space more rapidly using the dash (as opposed to the wavedash) is a lot more impressive. Of course, people often take into account that you're going to create that space and etc. etc. etc.

I use this a lot to get really tight cross up nairs/bairs. Running behind someone is usually a pretty good way to get them to short hop out with an attack so holding shield can also be an option.

Tomacawk

Smash Master
pivot utilt is god mode kaostar lol
also, I highly suggest people put brookman on their ignore list, I haven't seen his posts in days and I already feel smarter

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
brookman, I broke that habit a long time ago. dashing is an alternative to wavedashing, both have uses. but on the fox boards we dash away because as u seem to understand, its faster. idealy u would pivot if u wanted to stop momentum and turn around, if u are low on tech skill u can replace that with a shield stop.

to kage, yes timing timing timing. if u can throw off your opponents timing its **** mode. but that doesn't change the purpose of the move, attack, or technique. if I want to start a combo im not going to d smash just cuz the timing is different than dash attack.

I don't see how shield STOPPING replaces techniques that create movement lol. yes they fall under spacing/movement category, but they serve entirely different purposes.

one thing about shield stopping that it has over a pivot....u can stop all momentum without having to change directions.

lets argue about how jc shine is used in place of wave dashing. it does the same thing as shield stopping...except defend from physical attacks (but it is an attack), and u can choose to turn around or not.

my ***** fox just has options 4 dayz.

@tomacawk-**** yea it is. I can't do it consistently yet tho. dashing at somebody then spacing up tilt in their grill is boss mode. COMBO! ! !
:phone:

Harbinger

Smash Apprentice
Would you guys understand me if I say I can do soft pivots but I am not so good at hard pivots?? I am not going to lie, Ftilt is my favorite move.

Harbinger

Smash Apprentice
if u are low on tech skill u can replace that with a shield stop.

lets argue about how jc shine is used in place of wave dashing.

it does the same thing as shield stopping...

except defend from physical attacks (but it is an attack),

and u can choose to turn around or not.
if only JC shine was not such a chore. Although, I suppose if you make it appear you are stuck in your shine. . . this could be a good trick too. Nair is really fast out of shine; down air can be useful too in this sort of situation. As for having or lacking tech skill. Even tho I am pretty good at JC shine I will only rely on it as an out of shield counter vs. falco. I occassionally use it vs. poorly spaced falcon/marth/sheik/peach moves but this goes back to consistency. When it comes down to it if I'm not feeling up the the task (of being overly technical) i will probably just try to up smash.

triple post? i't sa tarp

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
harbinger-I would assume those soft pivots were just turnarounds out of the walking animation.
the hard ones are out of dash and are actually pivots.

kage-im not saying anything about what u have to do. im only trying to fix a misconception before it occurs. practice things in the way that you would use them keep bad habits from developing.

practicing shield stopping without wave dashing is pointless. the lack of wave dashing doesn't add to your training it only takes away from it.

as far as smash theory....its whatever bro, I got all day. mind games stacked on top of mind games is great, just make it happen. u don't have to run jump attack whatever, just when its time to move away, however that may be, don't just tap the R button.

jpobs-u cannot up tilt out of dash. u cannot pivot out of walk or run. dashing them pivot up tilt is the new fox meta game once people can do it. offensive up tilting bro. but to answer your question...fastest way to cover a small distance and then up tilt hit box facing your opponent. its literally jesus christ himself.

Harbinger

Smash Apprentice
harbinger-I would assume those soft pivots were just turnarounds out of the walking animation.
the hard ones are out of dash and are actually pivots.
pattin yerself on the back there ay? No, I do the 'soft' pivot out dash. I didn't mean hard as in. . . let me put it this way. You dash hard with the control stick you get the fastest dash, but if you only kinda. . . input the dash a little you get a softer dash. The same pressure can be applied to pivots.

practice things in the way that you would use them keep bad habits from developing.
who is to say?

practicing shield stopping without wave dashing is pointless. the lack of wave dashing doesn't add to your training it only takes away from it.
I would imagine . . just because you are unable to take any sort of knowledge away from such an idea doesn't mean it has no merit. Think of it as patient observation. Haste makes waste, as the cliche goes.

as far as smash theory....its whatever bro, I got all day. mind games stacked on top of mind games is great, just make it happen. u don't have to run jump attack whatever, just when its time to move away, however that may be, don't just tap the R button.
unless they are dash attacking you, then you should press r.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
the rest of your post I don't care about.

lightly pressing the stick gives u a softer dash?

can anybody else confirm this allegation? sounds a **** load like walking to me. which would confirm my theory.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
there's only one dash subaction. there are three walk subactions, with speeds in betwen.

essentially, no, there's only one dash.

Harbinger

Smash Apprentice
There is only one dash, I'm not claiming anything else. All I am talking about is how you can control it and relating that same concept to pivoting.

I guess, a word you people may be more comfortable with is "flicking" the control stick to generate a less explosive dash animation that you would get by pressing and holding for a longer duration.

I suppose it would be easier just to show you what I am talking about but alas, i am without the ability to. Maybe what I am saying will make sense to someone?

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
its aight homie. I thought about it. I know exactly what ur talking about. pivoting requires u to cancel your dash at some point, u mean pivoting at the end vs the beginning for more or less distance.

yea I usually pivot at the beginning, but that requires a much more violent stick movement because u have to fight with your own momentum.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
wtf guys

im pretty sure he means

if you're dashing
and you turn around but dont go into another dash

then you've pivoted, effectively, but if you act on the 3rd frame instead of like the 1st or 2nd or however long the window is, your move still comes out and you're not committed to a dash the other way. which is ****.

also im really good at pivot fsmashes but never learned the timing for pivot other moves... pivot fsmash makes **** techchases though.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
wtf guys

im pretty sure he means

if you're dashing
and you turn around but dont go into another dash

then you've pivoted, effectively, but if you act on the 3rd frame instead of like the 1st or 2nd or however long the window is, your move still comes out and you're not committed to a dash the other way. which is ****.
this is completely different than the implications of a "soft" dash.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
this is completely different than the implications of a "soft" dash.
i agree that he wasn't using the best possible terminology, but it wasn't hard to figure out what he meant

what strong bad said....also we figured that **** out like 5 posts ago. why bother posting when u clearly don't read the thread.

missing one post doesnt mean i dont read the thread, no reason to be an *******.

linkoninja

Smash Journeyman
Like Wife
What the **** is a pivot?
From my understanding a pivot is when you dash, turn around and then attack
for example: You dash right, dash left (like DD) then F-Smash.
Anyone clarify?

Harbinger

Smash Apprentice
technically, the pivot is turning around inside ofthe dashing animation into a stationary position.

If you dash dance really fast you will be able to see more clearly that, while turning in the dash dance the character has a single frame whree they are standing still. If the control stick is neutrual at this point the character will break momentum into a stationary position where you can use any standard action.

If you time a command for that one frame the stick doesn't need to be neutral, IIRC.

Brookman

Smash Hero
piv·ot (pvt)
n.
1. A short rod or shaft on which a related part rotates or swings.
2. A person or thing on which something depends or turns; the central or crucial factor.
3. The act of turning on or as if on a pivot.
4. Basketball
a. A position taken by an offensive player usually facing away from the basket near the foul line to relay passes, attempt a shot, or set screens.
b. The stationary foot around which the ball handler is allowed to pivot without dribbling. <----

QUOTE=Tomacawk;12654994]also, I highly suggest people put brookman on their ignore list, I haven't seen his posts in days and I already feel smarter[/QUOTE

How very high school of you. ^_^

Harbinger

Smash Apprentice
QUOTE=Tomacawk;12654994]also, I highly suggest people put brookman on their ignore list, I haven't seen his posts in days and I already feel smarter[/QUOTE

How very high school of you. ^_^
we have very many of these people where i am from. but everyone has a purpose in society.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Yeah i never block anyone. While 95% of brookman's posts are useless and ignore worthy, those 5% are sometimes good information

Top Bottom