• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

unknown522

Some guy
Chu just needs to wobble. Then he'll never lose to them for a while.

I know that he hates wobbling, but if he's gonna only do it when he's losing, then why not do it all the time?

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
I know that you start up the nair train when peach floats. what about usmash? i see a lot of fox ppl usmash after a ledgehop>waveland when peach is floating. Any adVice?

Brookman

Smash Hero
If peach is at kill percent I will just trade up smash with floated fairs. it's easy enough to react to just don't jump the gun. Recognize that the float has a limited duration. Test their patience and punish accordingly.

Lovage

Smash Hero
If peach is at kill percent I will just trade up smash with floated fairs. it's easy enough to react to just don't jump the gun. Recognize that the float has a limited duration. Test their patience and punish accordingly.

ya this is a good strategy against a lot of characters, peach is probably the easiest to do it against cuz of how her fair is, but if you're super precise you can do it vs. stuff like fox's nair and falco's dair (if u hit him at a very specific angle)

i think i did it a couple times vs. macd this weekend so when those vids go up u might be able to see some of the situations it's good in.

edit: hmm the more i think about how peach's fair works the more i would recommend caution to anyone trying this technique, the spacing you need to trade is really specific. in my mind it feels like you have to hit the tip of her hand during the fair, if she hits you deep you won't trade.

it's definitely a sick way to get rid of stocks tho, if you can figure out the timing of it it's super good

Brookman

Smash Hero
I love using it vs. fox/falco's shffl nair approach. The best part is, after you land it once or twice people will start trying to bait it out and then you can just run in on them and get free grabs/up smashes.

edit: hmm the more i think about how peach's fair works the more i would recommend caution to anyone trying this technique, the spacing you need to trade is really specific. in my mind it feels like you have to hit the tip of her hand during the fair, if she hits you deep you won't trade.

it's definitely a sick way to get rid of stocks tho, if you can figure out the timing of it it's super good

Spawn basically showed this trade to me, he called it "time" basically, once peach is at 70~80 (her percent is easy enough to manipulate with lasers) you just commit your focus to trading with up smash. forward and down tilt also become much better spacing tools at higher percents. Her dash attack still eats pretty much everything tho.

Of course, Drill into shine is great, and shine into anything is also nice but it may be easier just to trade hits.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
Yo im glad we're talking about trading upsmash lmfao thats my straight up favortie way to kill someone haha. them at high percent and me at low percent means all I do is fish for trades or CC->upsmash I love it. makes me feel like such a :troll:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiI2WnQNkHk&feature=feedf
this is very similar to something I talked about awhile ago that was inevitably ignored

Remember when I said you can uthrow waveshine fox/falco backwards into another shine? Well, why not do this into a doubleshine at the edge? It's much better than that shine bair and puts you in far more advantageous of a position
cuz that s*** never f***in works in real matches.

I try it all the time and its baller as hell but soooo unreliable cuz they have to have some cocaine DI to get it to work.

I saw Lucky do it once in doubles tho and all i could say was like "daaammn, don't stop Joey" :awesome:

edit: LMFAO unknown's such a hater

Tomacawk

Smash Master
jpobs, all I'm saying is that if you're going to go for **** like that (like the video guy did), might as well go hard in the paint and doubleshine rather than low percent shine bair

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
sometimes when I play this game I have this sudden urge to have fun and I try stuff like that.
when it works it's just like "ahahahahaha"

JPOBS

Smash Hero
tru i feel u tomacawk.

ftr, my use of language was more me wishing it would work, and not actually at you for suggesting it lol

Brookman

Smash Hero
nair like sheik
Against fox/falco/falcon/ganon I will do this ^ or down air or shine, fsmash that down angled sweet spot or short hop to apply edge hog pressure and force them to go up/straight forward. Against peach I will do random things to put them at awkward spacing so i can back air/shine. Against marth/sheik I will edge hog, down smash can work against marth if you have that timing/spacing down.

Against. . . puff I will either shine spike if they side b or be really careful with back airs. Otherwise I won't both cause I can probably just kill with up smash.

Nobody plays pika or samus around here. Against marios, down smash or edge hog. against luigi I just run off the stage and mash down and b into his up and b. works like a charm, just watch out for double jump fair ;].

DK, see f/f/f/g,

shine spiking double jumps works vs. every character. Wavedash back off stage into double jump back air works on every character.

The trick is catching the player off guard, really. There's no exact science to edge guarding. Just getting those easy/guaranteed edge hogs and also forcing situations into easy/guaranteed edge hogs or shine spikes is what it comes down to. When in doubt, back air. That's pretty much my philosophy.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
I feel like f-tilt is so good though because it puts Falco under the stage for free shine spikes. And it's easier to react to illusions with f-tilts because of the super fast startup.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I feel like f-tilt is so good though because it puts Falco under the stage for free shine spikes. And it's easier to react to illusions with f-tilts because of the super fast startup.
But if you run off, fast fall, dj nair back on stage, you can catch falco out of his DJ if he tries to go for the edge and it also covers the sideb option if he tries to go into you back on stage. Often times it will leave you with enough time to ftilt afterwards if they went for the edge.

Tomacawk

Smash Master
I like to put them in a position for ledge hop dair and then shine them afterwards.

or just jump out with the nutch then dj shine.
ledge hop dair to shine spike or regrab ledgehop bair is REALLY good. I've been trying to incorporate it into my game as much as possible

JPOBS

Smash Hero
vs Pika, Fsmash the ledge or ledgehop bair. Pika has no hitbox in front of them and can't sweetspot from below which means they will always upB to the ledge from an upward angle so just stick a hitbox over the top of it.

YMMV depending on move you chose tho. Bair for instance may sometimes only hit with the weak part depending on their angle which would give them another chance to recover (and make them closer to the stage in general) so its more worthwhile to Fsmash dat hoe.

Assuming they don't try to sweetspot and go directly overyou/onto a platform or something and you miss 9 times/10 you still have time to recover from lag and punish, especially if you baird.

you can also just grab the ledge and force them onstage sheik-style but you have to be a lot faster cuz pika's lag isn't that terrible and you may not reach in time.

tl:dr throw a hitbox over the ledge, rinse repeat.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Why roll? just dont noob it up and stand up/getup attack. You still "occupy" the ledge, but you have less lag on the back side.

Not to mention, pikachu does have ways of reducing the quick attack landing lag.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
actually roll is better because of the spacing it puts you on the stage. Pikachu has many options to go deep into the stage and rolling puts you in the center of his available options.

Top Bottom