• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Well, then it'd depend on where Pikachu is recovering from. If he doesn't have options for going far into the stage then you might as well just ledge stand.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
i like dairing at the ledge to cover missed sweetspots then grabbing ledge and shine spiking/LH bairing.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
actually roll is better because of the spacing it puts you on the stage. Pikachu has many options to go deep into the stage and rolling puts you in the center of his available options.
I have a feeling that you could place yourself in the same spot in less time without being committed to a roll. Thats almost like saying Id rather roll away from my opponent instead of WD back because rolling puts marth at perfect tipper range.

Also note, im not saying rolling up isnt a viable option, I just dont understand how you would classify rolling as better. Easier maybe, but Im trying to understand how its better ie does the same thing in a more effective manner.

unknown522

Some guy
actually roll is better because of the spacing it puts you on the stage. Pikachu has many options to go deep into the stage and rolling puts you in the center of his available options.
I taught Jman to just get up at Apex, amongst other things while he was playing friendlies with Axe. He then asked me: "Why the hell do you know how to fight pikachu?"

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Cool story unknown.

@ Kaostar, if you start the roll and the standard getup at the same time, yes you can probably run to the middle faster. But if you talk about positioning at the last frame of "holding the edge", you are further in when you are done rolling. Start your roll sooner than if you tried to do stand up. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6LD2QY3ZRE#t=32

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Thats more coincidence than anything else. What if pikachu lands right at the ledge. You have already committed to that roll. Seems like you are setting yourself up for failure imo.

You may be further in on the stage at the last point of holding the edge....but its not like you can do anything else other than finish your roll. If you stand up you have taken away the ledge option but im sure fox could run to that same position as the roll by the time it finishes. Not to mention, once u react to the fact that pikachu is not going to the ledge you can even ledge hop up for an even faster approach. holding the ledge u still have ledge hop bairs and shines available as well. Standing just allows you to cover more options.

Roll seems like the best option if pikachu lands right in front of where fox rolls lol. youtube wars.

Edit: oh look standing up being successful in the same situation- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sclzH9-FrTU&feature=related#t=3m33s

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
I was focused more on being an ******* than anything else. But yea his initial up B to the ledge would probably not have grabbed(fox still occupies the ledge for a lil when he stands), but if he did a 2nd one he could have definitely grabbed the edge. It most likely wouldnt have been sweet spotted tho, and lovage coulda downsmashed making pika eat foot.

And thats not even considering the fact that lovage could have timed his stand a little better.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
i figured out how to beat axe.
if he nairs your shield, he will either upair or dd grab depending on how far away he lands.

so all u have to do is not try to act oos if he lands close cuz his upair will beat you, or if he lands far away, wavedash forward oos then dd and upsmash his grab attempt.

foolproof.

just combine this simple strategy with fsmashing his upb and foxes will never lose to ash again.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
i figured out how to beat axe.
if he nairs your shield, he will either upair or dd grab depending on how far away he lands.

so all u have to do is not try to act oos if he lands close cuz his upair will beat you, or if he lands far away, wavedash forward oos then dd and upsmash his grab attempt.

foolproof.

just combine this simple strategy with fsmashing his upb and foxes will never lose to ash again.
LOL two words. Full proof.

Well said. I'm going try that against axe if i get a chance at him at Apex 2012. The strategy sounds reasonable.

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
Honestly? While obviously thats oversimplified, I think people would be surprised by just *how* much better players would do if they just waited instead of doing something OoS and letting pikachu do something laggy. His pressure game is only good if you let it be....

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Waiting is a very viable option in a lot of situations. People don't do it enough.

unknown522

Some guy
damn, that peach got *****.

Also, you spam way too many moves, but he's bad at dealing with it so you never get punished.

If he held down at almost any point that you attacked him, you should've taken like 50 damage.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
you just need to be more patient. you start out every stock playing the matchup pretty well, looking ofr openings and running aruond on platforms, and then as soon as you get like a stray dair, you play the rest of the stock like a maniac and just try to pressure.

also your bairs on his shield are generally spaced pretty poorly, you should work on that. your combo game is quite good though

on ps you laser way too long while she's running at you. you realize it and then just sit in shield while she has her way with you. only shoot lasers until she starts coming at you, then you have to get your positioning game on again.

FH nair is not a good strategy against peach... esp. when she's grounded. she can CC dsmash that super easily.

your shield pressure game is solid technically, but now you need to start working on spacing your moves correctly. you're right in the middle of him a lot of the time, which is a good way to get nair OoS'd. you hit his shield with the front of your bair a lot, which is super not a good idea, because it puts you in an uncomfortable spacing with very little shieldstun. also i saw you nair-jab at least once. this is only the least bit safe if you land such that the tip of your jab will hit the shield, but you did it while you were basically inside her.

linkoninja

Smash Journeyman
I always get happy when I see Smooth Crimminal post
that dude is hilarious.

Kage has a point, let's not be campy and just Destroy things, that's the Ganon way.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Waiting isn't inherently camping. It's simply not committing to anything, preferring to obtain more information before making a decision.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
It's often inherently difficult for more than one person to do something the most.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
It's often inherently difficult for more than one person to do something the most.
hmm, the more you kno

LMAO 2 funny.

Edit: did anybody notice that they changed the background color of the Revolution Skin? The black borders on my avatar werent visible b4, or am I just seeing things and the color is exactly the same?

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
you just need to be more patient. you start out every stock playing the matchup pretty well, looking ofr openings and running aruond on platforms, and then as soon as you get like a stray dair, you play the rest of the stock like a maniac and just try to pressure.

also your bairs on his shield are generally spaced pretty poorly, you should work on that. your combo game is quite good though

on ps you laser way too long while she's running at you. you realize it and then just sit in shield while she has her way with you. only shoot lasers until she starts coming at you, then you have to get your positioning game on again.

FH nair is not a good strategy against peach... esp. when she's grounded. she can CC dsmash that super easily.

your shield pressure game is solid technically, but now you need to start working on spacing your moves correctly. you're right in the middle of him a lot of the time, which is a good way to get nair OoS'd. you hit his shield with the front of your bair a lot, which is super not a good idea, because it puts you in an uncomfortable spacing with very little shieldstun. also i saw you nair-jab at least once. this is only the least bit safe if you land such that the tip of your jab will hit the shield, but you did it while you were basically inside her.
good stuff, thanks.
lol i just love playing an agressive game i try and fit it in my play as often as possible without straying from playing safe enough :D

Brookman

Smash Hero
not a lot of time at the moment, but one thing I did notice was the peach player grabbing your shine a lot. You could try aerial > aerial rather than aerial to shine. Most likely what he's doing is waiting for your shine to come out and then grabbing. Since he's so good vs. the shine I wouldn't recommend jabbing his shield (edit: you just jabbed his shield and shined, I take that back- partially).

More drilling and shining. I'll look into it more later tonight or tomorrow

Top Bottom