• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
yea for real

btw you guys got any other good recommendations for foxes who are really good against ic's? (vids to watch etc)

for some reason I remember Connor's fox being pretty beast against IC's but I might be having him mixed up with like... sfat or something??

Lovage

Smash Hero
yea for real

btw you guys got any other good recommendations for foxes who are really good against ic's? (vids to watch etc)

for some reason I remember Connor's fox being pretty beast against IC's but I might be having him mixed up with like... sfat or something??
chillindude my dood

he's got a great style vs. climbers, there's a lotta things he does i still try to emulate

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
ohhh man i remember his set with chu dat from evo... 2007? well, one of those

it was sooo good. I'm gonna go watch it again, thanks for the tip :D

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
also probably the biggest reason it's good for punishing missed techs is because shine starts up so fast, it gives you more time to think "ok did they really miss the tech, ok they did, ok now i shine usmash.) right before they hit the ground you can start running at them, wait for them to miss the tech, wait another second so ur totally sure they missed it, and THEN shine usmash. if you were just using usmash you'd have to be a bit more confident in your reactions.
Does this let you react to the techroll towards you? Since you have to be in the full run to do this

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
I generally find that when you think the opponent is going to miss a tech and you're running toward them getting ready to usmash or shine-usmash, you're not going to be able to perfectly cover a tech towards you.

Something I do at lower percents is when I knock them away and they're going to hit the ground, I'll short hop a drill or uair where they land, which lets me cover the no-tech and tech in place options, and run to hit tech away. it's analogous how falcon players will like, stomp a location and still have enough time to grab a tech in the direction they were running. so i think this is another situation where you can't cover every option perfectly

that said, i think you still generally have the advantage in that situation - and waiting to react for the shine-usmash would seem to indicate that you'd have time to, i dunno, wavedash back and start pressuring them after their techroll or something.

edit: speaking of which, lovage, i tried doing that fair thing you were talking about at high percents to space animal/falcon. I wasn't playing against an amazing player, but it seems to work really good, even though I was just doing normal jc usmashes, not shine usmashes, to hit the missed tech

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I have been doing soemthing similar to tech chase, toph. I really like dair's properties since it combos and resets, however after playing against tec0's SDI i have realized that if the opponent can SDI it is much better to not dair lol. I like the uair option, but i love nair and bair too much to do anything else. The important thing is the form of attacking the to cover the in place or missed tech, and reacting to tech rolls.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
In general, whether or not you can cover most or all options in a tech-chase depends on what character you're against. Different characters have different length techs, so you might be able to cover a tech-roll toward you with just a Dash-Cancel fsmash or something.
I usually prefer to study my opponent and learn their teching habits than attempt to cover all or most tech-options, though I might do that while studying.

buddy

Smash Cadet
Watching the SITB grand finals....
lovage, I hope you're nicer to your own wife than you are to Popo's.
That was some serious abuse.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I have been doing soemthing similar to tech chase, toph. I really like dair's properties since it combos and resets, however after playing against tec0's SDI i have realized that if the opponent can SDI it is much better to not dair lol. I like the uair option, but i love nair and bair too much to do anything else. The important thing is the form of attacking the to cover the in place or missed tech, and reacting to tech rolls.
That's why you can do a late dair instead to catch people off-guard so they dont sdi it. =)

JPOBS

Smash Hero
dair reset is my ****! i love doing it

i've pretty bad at tech chasing perfectly on reaction tho, i mess up all the time esp vs spacies

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
Anyone have a good sense of how to practice the timing for tech animations? I find a lot of the times I'll predict/react to certain techs and even though I'm right I often whiff due to invincibility.

Has anyone else had this problem and found a way around it? Can I stare at their feet or something as a visual cue?

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Fox/Falco - the handstand for tech stand. Tech rolls are easymode.

Falcon - he's easymode.

Puff - if you're d-throwing Puff, it's when you can see her eyes for tech stand I think (not 100% on this one). Tech rolls are easymode.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Looks like everyone's (I checked like half the cast, I don't feel like checking the rest... pretty sure it doesn't change) techroll invincibilities end after 20 frames. So just time it based on that, and change your spacing accordingly based on their animation/movement.

EDIT: Tech-stand: Everyone except Pichu/Pikachu have 20 frames of invincibility. Pichu/Pikachu have 24 frames (??? why?)

JPOBS

Smash Hero
its so hard to cover spacies tech in place on reaction. i always get tech in placed-> shined unless i straight up read it :(

JPOBS

Smash Hero
ya I know to expect tech in place. idk i just find it hard to play purely on reaction, which would be most efficient since it can be done.

but i don't play often enough to practice consistently so im just emo -_-

unknown522

Some guy
its so hard to cover spacies tech in place on reaction. i always get tech in placed-> shined unless i straight up read it :(
if you're having problems with that, try spacing an u-smash so that they miss the shine even if you're too slow. Instead of trying to grab.

Or yeah, like the other suggestions you could try to tech chase with a shine. I do it if I feel unsure about the grab.

Alternatively, if you don't feel confident then try DDing to bait the shine/sidestep/roll/w/e (marth players love to do it especially. But they have more range and a better DD, so it's easier).

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
Fox Boards, if you have a free 50 mins - 1 hour to spare, then check out these friendlies with me and KirbyKaze:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=12414153#post12414153
from vid1;

IMO you make a few too many risky choices while on the offense. this includes sometimes iffy shield pressure[mostly after you sh dair attempt]. i noticed you like to drop off the side of plats with aerials, regardless of how close they are, and it usually seems to get you punsihed. you also jab shiek decently enough[seems like you do it when your too close and dont wanna get hit/grabbed], which is still not a great idea vs shiek as u no dis :p

i also notice you attempt to finish combo strings that don't have the greatest chance of being succesful, usually kk would trade hits with you as you attempt to get that 2nd or 3rd combo hit in. alot of the times i'll just see you jump in to go for something, and he'll either hit you first or trade at the worst.

overall i feel you just put yourself in risky situations too often and play too close to shiek, and you don't seem to leave a bad situation enough, but instead choose to go through with it anyway.

hope none of this came off bad or rude, you're obviously really good regardless =)

battousai555

Smash Ace
I usually prefer to study my opponent and learn their teching habits than attempt to cover all or most tech-options, though I might do that while studying.
Having the ability to do both is important in case your opponent does the random-ish tech (spinning control stick around), right?

Top Bottom