• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

unknown522

Some guy
My question is, then, is it better (in general) to camp Sheik or not?

I'm trying to figure out if you think it's better for her to play offense or not in this matchup if given the choice between either.

I also would like to know your opinion on the following. If Fox approaches is it better to play offense or defense as Sheik?
basically:

defensive fox > defensive sheik
defensive fox < offensive sheik
offensive fox < offensive sheik
offensive fox < defensive sheik

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
i agree with even. i'm glad sheiks don't QQ about their character too much anymore like falcon players.

(i would QQ if i mained falcon too... lol)

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
basically:

defensive fox > defensive sheik
defensive fox < offensive sheik
offensive fox < offensive sheik
offensive fox < defensive sheik
This is way too straightforward xD

I think both characters have to play a combination of both defense and offense. And its just not gonna boil down to this simply.

That being said I still think Fox has a slight advantagh imo. He has more control of how the match up flows and therefore more freedom to play however he feels like.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
The problem is mobility. Sheik can approach and pressure with dash attack, grab, dash cancel ftilt and dash cancel utilt, but it can't compete with fox's defensive game. In her dash, sheik has few quick attack options, and all of them lose to fox's bair.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
i just wanna chime in and say:

When joe said "Roll OOS," it made me realize the difference between good rolls and stupid rolls.

Stupid rolls are just "rolls"
Good rolls are "rolls OOS."

LOL

joeplicate

Smash Master
haha i guess i said that because roll OOS is a way to get out a situation

the wording implies that it's a solution, instead of "rolling" which is either random or habitual

=P

also thanks for the feedback, raynex. i wasn't really talking about fox using downsmash on sheik's shield, lol. i'll keep trying to do [wd oos > shine] to punish.

i meant more like the amsah, just smacking the hell out of your shield with no remorse. i think that if you feel like they're abusing it, then rolling away is still a pretty good option. the problem is that i think fox just doesn't have a lot of options in this situation! what else could you do, wavedash out, and watch for the dash grab/dash attack? could they hold towards you during the short hop so they could follow and slap you again? maybe you should just drop your shield and CC a slap at low percents, so it sends you away, and then run.

just throwin out ideas here i guess

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
Autocancel means the move ends before you land, not that you have enough time to waveland. Not every autocanceled aerial permits the time to perform another action before you hit the ground.

Most, like Fox's, only provide the benefit of a lagless aerial upon landing.
Marth's Fair and Mario/Doc's Bair, on the other hand, both autocancel and give you the time to do something else (waveland, aerial again, double jump, airdodge)
That's a bit off

Autocancel means that the move does NOT end before you land, but there's no lag on landing if you land after a certain point during the aerial.

If you think about it, it makes sense. If you FH FF bair with Fox then you land with no lag, but if you FF FH bair with Fox and go offstage you can't do anything until after you are below ground level. This is even more obvious with Marth's nair. It has like a million years of lag, so it obviously doesn't complete before you land in a SH FF, but it autocancels.

If a move truly ends before you hit the ground, you can always waveland or jump or aerial. I don't think there's a special term for a move just ending before you land, though.

WD oos Shine/Usmash both work to punish Sheik's dsmash. Learn it, love it.
So one of the two will always work, no matter how many hits of the dsmash connect?

and do you mean usmash oos or wd oos into usmash?

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Sheik's D-smash and you! How to punish it on block:

1st hit of Sheik D-smash only - WD oos almost anything you want
D-smash stops hitting shield at 2nd hit - WD oos Shine is easiest and probably best/most consistent
D-smash stops hitting shield at 3rd hit - Shield grab, aerial OOS, U-smash OOS

This assumes hard shielding

For the shield grab you need to hold into Sheik when she's D-smashing and shield DI a teensy weensy bit

Usually you can shield grab it though, or U-smash / aerial OOS

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Wavedash out of shield -> up-smash/grab is quite hard to do framewise against Sheik's/Peach's d-smash. Wavedash out of shield -> waveshine is easy to do consistently.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
Wavedash out of shield -> up-smash/grab is quite hard to do framewise against Sheik's/Peach's d-smash. Wavedash out of shield -> waveshine is easy to do consistently.
and leads directly to the aforementioned anyway.

i dont see a reason to NOT always just do the wd shine oos and then w/e you want.

but in my experience, when all 3 hits hit your shield, the timing for the waveshine stricker cuz by that point their dsmash is almost done so its hard to reach them before they shield. in this case i just sh dair->shine etc

joeplicate

Smash Master
Sheik's D-smash and you! How to punish it on block:

1st hit of Sheik D-smash only - WD oos almost anything you want
D-smash stops hitting shield at 2nd hit - WD oos Shine is easiest and probably best/most consistent
D-smash stops hitting shield at 3rd hit - Shield grab, aerial OOS, U-smash OOS

This assumes hard shielding

For the shield grab you need to hold into Sheik when she's D-smashing and shield DI a teensy weensy bit

Usually you can shield grab it though, or U-smash / aerial OOS
thanks, that was actually exactly the kind of thing i was looking for

did anyone try that thing that i said a page back

i guess its not that good =(
i haven't played a human since you posted it! :0

did anyone try that thing that i said a page back

i guess its not that good =(
its just a back throw isnt it?

if you do a nair after, they can shine stall until its about done and side b to the ledge. it just turns into a regular edge guard. you could sh nair on the stage near the ledge and be ready to dsmash the ledge if they side B. then if they up b just get on the ledge, then bair -> follow up. if they di the backthrow in you can combo a shine or aerial tho.

(*Jman*)

Smash Champion
i mean but if nair turn around in your shine then you are in a spot so u can wave dash back take ledge or bair if they try to forward -b at u

your way is good too tho

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
The info on Sheik's dsmash was great David. Thanks for teaching us how to punish each individual hit. That's going to go a long away against the Sheik players that think it's free to throw out.

That's a bit off

Autocancel means that the move does NOT end before you land, but there's no lag on landing if you land after a certain point during the aerial.

If you think about it, it makes sense. If you FH FF bair with Fox then you land with no lag, but if you FF FH bair with Fox and go offstage you can't do anything until after you are below ground level. This is even more obvious with Marth's nair. It has like a million years of lag, so it obviously doesn't complete before you land in a SH FF, but it autocancels.

If a move truly ends before you hit the ground, you can always waveland or jump or aerial. I don't think there's a special term for a move just ending before you land, though.
That's a REALLY good point. I never thought about it like that. We're sharing this definition from now on.

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
waveshining only seems right to me because it's automatic.

it's not great in terms of percentage but it's still free and guaranteed.
i just grab or Usmash because i don't trust myself to waveshine 20 times in a row.

i think waveshining him across the stage is way more worth it if you can react accordingly to smash DI. you can just start a combo at the other end of the stage. or if hes above like 60 just dmsash edge guard. if he ends up in the right position you can shine him down. waveshines, then drill, then grab/turn around grab *****. i always waveshine falcon sheik and peach across.

Top Bottom