• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

Brookman

Smash Hero
you need to learn more options then.
^^ this!

unhelpful aphorisms ftw

It is absolutely helpful. I'm telling Sinji to look deeper into his own playing in the hopes of encouraging him to develop as a player.

My general style when I feel pinned by lasers is to force the falco player to FULL JUMP and COMMIT to LASERING. It is in this instant that you will be able to close the most ground on him and, if you are close enough, may be able to connect a shine (assuming he's @ the edge).

You need to really observe and reconsider your play style. There is absolutely NO WAY this player is covering every option. It is far more likely that he is covering your obvious decision making.

ultimately, powershielding is your best friend. Against less-experienced laser spammers, powershielding will discourage them lasering altogether. Trick is to have a follow up to your powershields like zoso.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
yo. i understand. but it's only abstractly helpful. like the way he actually phrased the question you were addressing it appropriately, but i could imagine myself asking the same question the same way but really meaning, "i am getting locked down because I don't know what my valid options are; can someone help me understand what things I should be trying?" and that, the more useful question, you did not answer.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
These boards suck because people like me are too lazy to actually make detailed, edifying posts.

Oh, and in response to Palpi: even though Falco can't cover every option 100% of the time, he can still limit options severely and force his opponent into disadvantageous positions.

iamjason8

Smash Journeyman
Is it completely necessary to follow up grounded shines with a wavedash? Because I see it quite a bit but I'm really inconsistent at doing it. Will I be considerably worse than others if I don't?

If I absolutely have to learn it then what's the best way? Practise in training mode? >.> tips please!

Doser

Smash Ace
Is it completely necessary to follow up grounded shines with a wavedash? Because I see it quite a bit but I'm really inconsistent at doing it. Will I be considerably worse than others if I don't?

If I absolutely have to learn it then what's the best way? Practise in training mode? >.> tips please!
I'm no expert fox, but wavedashing right after a shine can give you a free up-smash or grab on a lot of characters. Regardless of getting free damage/grabs it allows you to quickly move horizontally after a shine where otherwise you would be forced into the air if you simply jump canceled it.

Tomacawk

Smash Master
you are significantly worse off than all other fox players if you can't waveshine.
just practice. practice practice practice.

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
learning to wavedash out of shine will DRAMATICALLY increase your fox's potential.

like... by an immeasurable amount...

it's well worth the time spent learning it.

Palpi

Smash Hero
These boards suck because people like me are too lazy to actually make detailed, edifying posts.

Oh, and in response to Palpi: even though Falco can't cover every option 100% of the time, he can still limit options severely and force his opponent into disadvantageous positions.
I wasn't expecting a reply...i was obviously just joking <3

unknown522

Some guy
new vids of GTA (ontario) smashers such as myself, raynex, Kirbykaze, Idea <_<:

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/11679118

- KK (fox) vs sauc3 (jiggs/sheik/fox) @ 00:04:49

- KK (fox) vs Idea (jiggs) [LSF] @ 00:52:36 (Kels, take notes!!!)

- Myself (default fox) vs RaynEX (blue fox) [WF] @ 01:23:00

- KK (green fox) vs RaynEX (blue fox) [LF] @ 01:40:15, right after WF

- GFs were not played out.

- Raynex (blue fox?) vs KK (green fox) [WSF] was not recorded

quality is not the greatest, but watchable.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
i find it significantly more difficult to drill shine than to nair shine.

could someone explain to me how this is possible? Thanks.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
new vids of GTA (ontario) smashers such as myself, raynex, Kirbykaze, Idea <_<:

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/11679118

- KK (fox) vs sauc3 (jiggs/sheik/fox) @ 00:04:49

- KK (fox) vs Idea (jiggs) [LSF] @ 00:52:36 (Kels, take notes!!!)

- Myself (default fox) vs RaynEX (blue fox) [WF] @ 01:23:00

- KK (green fox) vs RaynEX (blue fox) [LF] @ 01:40:15, right after WF

- GFs were not played out.

- Raynex (blue fox?) vs KK (green fox) [WSF] was not recorded

quality is not the greatest, but watchable.
cool stuff

Lovage

Smash Hero
tip of the week

in a thunders' combo, you can use fox's double-jab to force them to stand up exactly where you jabbed them. you can do this when your single jab would have let them slide off an edge.

only problem is the % threshold is bit lower cuz double-jab has more knockback

Brookman

Smash Hero
Lovage. . . you're kidding >_>

connect shine in whatever wave you fancy (drill is nice) wavedash out quick and Dash JC c^

bust that **** out next time you play.

(*Jman*)

Smash Champion
tip of the week

in a thunders' combo, you can use fox's double-jab to force them to stand up exactly where you jabbed them. you can do this when your single jab would have let them slide off an edge.

only problem is the % threshold is bit lower cuz double-jab has more knockback
LOL deff learned this at cali from lovage

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
that doesnt work on ppl that fall from shine
it works sometimes but the timing is really strict i guess. it's pretty easy if you run into the shine. i see eggm doing it in videos sometimes though, and otto does it sometimes too

I GUESS idk

good tip on the double jab thunders though, ty

and hey uhhh i played SS a bunch this weekend and wooow it's like, HARDER than I remember it being, even though I got better since the last time I played him. <.< I'm starting to feel like Fox vs Falcon is one of these matchups like Marth vs Peach, where, if you don't find a way to kill the other character at a low %, then he is going to survive until like 150% LOL. I feel like SS makes certain things that should work against Falcon not work, like drillshine upsmashes. Like, I seriously think I shined him, and he immediately went into his shield somehow (even though he was grounded when I shined him) so the usmash didn't connect. I also suck at edgeguarding Falcon aka edgeguarding SS >_> can anyone from cali - or anyone who knows what I am talking about and how ***ken gay it is fighting beast falcon - please help? (no videos atm sorry - so just general realizations you've made about the matchup, and fighting SS in particular, etc. would be gladly appreciated) T____T

Brookman

Smash Hero
I think SS was probably buffering a jump into your shine. I sasume you know what happens when a player does this so I'm not gonna go into any farther. If you notice that he does this just up smash him LOL

edit: I can't tell you about fighting SS in particular but I did find proof of my above statement:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yorqQFWuR-g&t=0m50s

he executes the trick @ about 58 seconds. You'll see it ;]

PK Webb

Smash Champion
i noticed in alot of fox vids vs ppl like sheik y dont fox try to keep their invincibility frames at the ledge to force them onto the stage. what i see foxes doing is they grab the ledge the sheik up b and then the fox jumps on to the stage and trys to either dsmash or a angled ftilt the edge and more than not they dont get the hit. now do foxes dont firefox stall or simply fall and grab the ledge because they r scared to mess up or has the current meta just abolished doing this cuz there is sumthing better???

Brookman

Smash Hero
Against sheik top players will just edge hog. Sheik is forced to the stage/platforms and at this point you can punish.

People may leave the edge early if they believe the sheik has no intention of sweet spotting to the edge.

Stand up, don't roll.

mers

Smash Ace
So, on FD, setting up a Doraki walljump is really easy. Is there any practical application for this? Neat edgeguarding tricks or mixups to get back onstage?

One nifty thing about it is that if you set one up, you can still choose whether or not to use it or just do the regular drop from ledge. If your reactions are good enough, that probably gives you more edgeguarding options, right? Maybe?

silentSWAG

Smash Lord
How do u shine out of marths chaingrab, is there a certain way to di or something. Ive seen this done alot lately, i figure this would be very helpful in the match up

Brookman

Smash Hero
slight DI to his back side. press down and b. not sure on percents, this can be circumvented with a pivot.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
you have an opportunity to shine out of marths chaingrab around 30%. Just hope marth does not use utilt. one utilt can lead to another grab.

Top Bottom