• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
can someone please explain when it's appropriate to nair over bair or visa versa in combos?

also SW said wait for the phantasm and do a ledgehop nair. why would this be a better choice over bair? because it's out longer?

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
bair is good when they're at relatively high percentages when you can't combo off a nair. like against a jiggs at like... 60%, if you bair while moving forward you can usually combo into an up smash. things like that.

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
can someone explain how you buffer a roll or a spot dodge?
i need some reassurance.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
i just spent the last 30 mins or so reading the posts i've missed in this thread while i was away.
this thread is good and full of great advice.

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
hold L/R. rest your cstick in the direction you wish to roll (down for spotdodge).
oooh, i try it with control stick because i'm stupid.

idk why either because i know cstick is better for rolling because it doesn't affect the way you're tilting your shield. (anti shield pressure. YAYUHZZ)
yeah if every character specific was like this the metagames in all characters would deffffff improve
i was just thinking this about the peach boards the other day.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
the reason c-stick is good for rolling is because it works on the first actionable frame.
silly things happen when you use D-stick to roll, such as accidental sheild tilts which good players can see and react too.

i've switched to rolling exclusively with c-stick now. even when not rolling out of pressure.

Tomacawk

Smash Master
the reason c-stick is good for rolling is because it works on the first actionable frame.
silly things happen when you use D-stick to roll, such as accidental sheild tilts which good players can see and react too.

i've switched to rolling exclusively with c-stick now. even when not rolling out of pressure.
I'm pretty positive buffering a roll is 1 frame slower than a perfect roll. That is, buffered rolls happen 1 frame after the earliest possible point you can roll

JPOBS

Smash Hero
I'm pretty positive buffering a roll is 1 frame slower than a perfect roll. That is, buffered rolls happen 1 frame after the earliest possible point you can roll
hmm...i've never heard this. i've always heard it as the way i mentioned.

EWC

Smash Ace
It's true. If you watch closely, you can see your shield flash up when you buffer a roll out of some lag. But you can do a normal roll without ever seeing your shield.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Oh there is this guy Shadowball2. His name is Huan, he is an aspiring m2 player. Give him some time and if he sticks with it he could be ****.

most ppl just come in to tell taj how tight his m2 is, or ask a random question that benefits them in no way. I saw ICG in there once lol.

joeplicate

Smash Master
i've always thought that spot-dodging with c-stick down would be a really good practice

that way if you got fsmashed out of it (or something) you'd be less likely to miss your DI
(only 1 frame of ASDI down instead of ruining your trajectory)

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Are you sure? I thought when you buffered a roll it inputs [L/R/Z+right/left] on every frame. Is a "perfect roll" just holding shield then inputting a direction on the last frame of shield stun?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
^ no, it puts up 1 frame of your shield then starts your roll animation. yes a perfect roll is inputting it with the control stick on the same frame you press shield.

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
perfect roll is not high on my priority list of things to learn in this game. lol

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
yeah it really isn't that important. Rolling with your control stick is a good thing to learn tho :/

JPOBS

Smash Hero
i honestly hate rolling with the stick .

gay stuff happens like all the time. Like, peah Dsmashs your sheild and you try to roll but then it registers as a sheild tilt, then you get poked by the late hits of the dsmash, and then u get *****.

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
I need help. I don't know if anyone here would bother but I'm posting this anyway.

I've really been struggling to narrow down the characters I use in tournament, etc. (a main in general really) I simply can't decide who to play. I enjoy playing them all and have been successful in MMs and tourneys with each of them so none of that has cleared this up for me or been an issue, I just simply don't know who to stick with so even use random often.

If anyone cares about having 1 more Fox player, or wants me to stick with him if you know me or anything, please vote. :\

Any input is good but meaningless votes are completely welcome too if you don't know me/don't care but would still want me to play Fox or something. :)
I just need help. :(

Thanks. hahah
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=10468126#post10468126

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
i honestly hate rolling with the stick .

gay stuff happens like all the time. Like, peah Dsmashs your sheild and you try to roll but then it registers as a sheild tilt, then you get poked by the late hits of the dsmash, and then u get *****.
you know you can CC the first hit of peach's dsmash then powershield the 2nd and regular shield the rest of them?

JPOBS

Smash Hero
i've done it on accident before but its definitely not something i think is possible to perfect to the point where you do it consistently

edit: lol basically what lumpy said. **** that.

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
fox summarized.

everything is really difficult and/or risky to pull off but "it's so good when you get it tho :D"

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
I completely stopped rolling a few weeks ago

I know I should, but I just dunno when
same here. before i always assumed rolling is badbadbad and doing so will get you punished. but i still see top level players do it, so i'm sure if it was that bad they'd stay away from it completely.

one simple case i saw was when i watched chops vs jman, i watched how chops rolled in certain situations. one case was, he was near the edge, if jman was coming in to attempt to get chops off stage, he'd just roll through jman to the opposite side so that now jman would be near the edge instead, which seems completely legit as long as it's unexpected

obviously that was from falcos side but it should easily work just as well for fox

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
same here. before i always assumed rolling is badbadbad and doing so will get you punished. but i still see top level players do it, so i'm sure if it was that bad they'd stay away from it completely.

one simple case i saw was when i watched chops vs jman, i watched how chops rolled in certain situations. one case was, he was near the edge, if jman was coming in to attempt to get chops off stage, he'd just roll through jman to the opposite side so that now jman would be near the edge instead, which seems completely legit as long as it's unexpected

obviously that was from falcos side but it should easily work just as well for fox
didn't really read your post, but cool sig dude

Top Bottom