• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

joeplicate

Smash Master
something else i've always wondered

is just dropping your shield a good response to shield pressure?
how fast can you do it, how fast can you crouch cancel afterwards??

could you drop shield and cc nair/sdi drill and get out?

Kanelol

Smash Lord
It probably depends on the Fox you're playing. If this particular Fox Nairs within a few frames of leaving ground, you wouldn't be able to CC the Nair. Some people don't input the Nair until the peak of the jump, in which case you might have a chance at CC'ing it.

You'd have to be pretty much frame perfect though, and it's probably not worth risking it.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
It probably depends on the Fox you're playing. If this particular Fox Nairs within a few frames of leaving ground, you wouldn't be able to CC the Nair. Some people don't input the Nair until the peak of the jump, in which case you might have a chance at CC'ing it.

You'd have to be pretty much frame perfect though, and it's probably not worth risking it.
wouldnt it be easy to input frame perfectly? If you let go of the shield and start pressing down both at any point while you're in hitlag - like, say, right as the shine hits - the only thing you're capable of inputting is the shield drop and the CC, both of which should occur on the first possible frame. so if you're prepared for it it should be easy enough to do frame perfectly, if it works.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
You should still be able to get the ASDI CC.

but thats not as good as actually crouching.

I think ppl are really gettin into smashDI to survive and get out of combos.

The next step imo is massive shield DI. ppl will start SDI with the shield out to get space to punish oos.

Also using a lighter shield to get away from the pressure

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
yeah you'd definitely get the ASDI down; I'm saying, unless I'm mistaken, if full CCing is possible, you'll get that too, and if it's not, you wont accidentally input anything dumb like a sidedodge, you'll just get hit before you get the chance or stay locked in your shield.

Hadster

Smash Cadet
I know this is a real nooby question and all, so don't rip me to shreds please :)

Up tilt. The one where fox brings one of his feet from 6 o'clock to 12 o'clock....I have real troubles performing it consistently. Its obviously very easy straight after landing if I keep the up direction held down...but other than that, he ends up on some occassions either jabbing, or jumping.

What technique would you advise me to use? Should I flick the control stick up with a? Or move it up really fast? Or just tap it as light as possible?

Any other ways to practise it so I can do it consistently?

I also have problems doing marths up tilt, which from videos I can see is very useful under platforms.

Sorry for such a basic question :(

Thanks in advance for any help guys

Tomacawk

Smash Master
utilts gave me problems for a long time. The way that I do them is by slightly aiming the control stick up and hitting A.

joeplicate

Smash Master
or if you could even use a spotdodge to dodge the shine, then cc the nair??

there are a lot of variables

i think one of the best though is lightshield/slowly moving your shield up
mango does that last one and it ****s you up so bad

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
or if you could even use a spotdodge to dodge the shine, then cc the nair??

there are a lot of variables

i think one of the best though is lightshield/slowly moving your shield up
mango does that last one and it ****s you up so bad
Three main ones I know are:

Aiming shield to throw off timing.

Shield grabbing after the shine to get hit with the nair and immediately cc/asdi down shieldgrabbing the nair (this works great if your at really low % with Marth and Fox tries to cross up nair shine bair you and doesn't bair away from you, since you can just shield grab to drop the shield and immediately CC grab the bair).

Shield DI'ing to follow ups. Shield DI'ing isn't that hard really, what's hard about it is getting in the habit of doing it a lot.

Kanelol

Smash Lord
I know this is a real nooby question and all, so don't rip me to shreds please :)

Up tilt. The one where fox brings one of his feet from 6 o'clock to 12 o'clock....I have real troubles performing it consistently. Its obviously very easy straight after landing if I keep the up direction held down...but other than that, he ends up on some occassions either jabbing, or jumping.

What technique would you advise me to use? Should I flick the control stick up with a? Or move it up really fast? Or just tap it as light as possible?

Any other ways to practise it so I can do it consistently?

I also have problems doing marths up tilt, which from videos I can see is very useful under platforms.

Sorry for such a basic question :(

Thanks in advance for any help guys
Ah, the old U-Tilt. This was more confusing than L-Cancelling to me when I started playing. Eventually, what I learned to do is just feel when I'm in the lag from my last attack, and push the Control stick all the up then. Since you're already in lag from whatever attack you previously performed, the game doesn't read the stick going up as a jump input, and you're free to U-Tilt.

I'm probably not explaining this very well, so here's a real life "combo" I used on a scrub friend when I first started incorporating U-Tilt. Dash attack -> U-tilt. That's it. It's as easy as it sounds, just roll the control stick up during the dash attack, hit A, and SHIZZAM.

Eventually you'll learn to do it after aerials, out of Shine, whenever. Just practice.

Please note, however, that if you really need to U-Tilt and you have no leeway for dropping at attack beforehand, very slightly tilting the control stick up, not so much that it jumps, but enough so the game reads it as an upward input, is ok.

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
george you ready to get ****ed up in fox AND falcon dittoes?

also, lovage have you come up with something that you're gonna call the love wave?

PK Webb

Smash Champion
How do u deal with dd campy falcons and foxes......should I just out wait them with lasers or should I stay grounded and overshoot my shine or grab because when I nair I get punished hard

PK Webb

Smash Champion
My thing is when I Nair he dashes away and grabs or he throws out a retreating Nair same with fox

fLoAtiN

Smash Cadet
My thing is when I Nair he dashes away and grabs or he throws out a retreating Nair same with fox
you can:
-DD camp yourself/shoot lasers
-do a nair but then spot dodge right after to avoid a grab if you know you are going to miss. just don't do this everytime because then he'll catch on.
-or just run at him and waveshine forwards to suprise him.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Shield DI'ing to follow ups. Shield DI'ing isn't that hard really, what's hard about it is getting in the habit of doing it a lot.
YEa, The other thing about it is that if you are too early or late it causes you to roll, or sidestep. Which is generally undesirable, since if you are shield DI you are usually trying to punish shield pressure.

Thats unlike SDI cuz you get the good ones in when you are already doing something and prepared to get hit. you cant move in the middle of the attack and prob have some hitstun after.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
the simplest answer to a campy falcon is just to blast him with your layzarz until he gives up.

if you're down a stock, hop in your delorean and mess with the sapce time continuem.

Tomacawk

Smash Master
yeah that adventure run is amazing
george, your sig is also amazing
also I made a tech skill video to submit to waffle
it's gunna suck though I sat down for about 6 minutes. I think I did some cool stuff however

JPOBS

Smash Hero

i dotn understand how superboom didnt get hit by the firebreathe of Gigabowser right at the start. seems like it should have hit to me. IM CALLING SHENANIGANS!

more damage. they can di the first jab away to avoid the second one, but youll still be able to catch them with a grab if they roll/stand up.

Top Bottom