• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fourth and final community vote about Meta Knight.

Should Meta Knight be banned from competitive Brawl?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
I have answered this question, so many times. SO MANY TIMES. It's seriously starting to hurt. Okay Chibo, are you going to read my answer this time? Are you going to pay attention since you've asked this question before and I responded to it IN THIS VERY THREAD? So are you ready this time? You sure? Here we go:

We have already said that, through the combination of characters and match-ups, Metaknight has no bad matchups at all. We've already gotten through that. You want to know why this happens?

Because Metaknight is the best character in the game. He is better than everyone else.

Now this is why that this is the case, but Metaknight is still not worthy of being banned: because Metaknight does not invalidate enough of the cast, nor does he overcentralize the metagame enough that the only reasonable way to counter Metaknight is to use Metaknight. Even when Metaknight has no disadvantages, there are enough characters that provide a reasonable chance of winning that Metaknight does not overcentralize the metagame.
Clai, do the anti-ban side a favor and stop representing them so strongly in this thread. The argument would be a lot better without someone like you being so active in it.

You got pissed at me for posing a very serious question which to me, your answer does no justice to. You can't blame me for not seeing your reasoning in this thread before, as not only is this the first time I have asked this question in this thread, you can't expect me to read almost all 5500 posts. I have a life, and frankly there are other better threads to worry about on the subject for me, such as the SBR version of this.

MetaKnight does over-centralize the game. And if you don't consider at this point that he does, then wait a little longer and check it out again. It's inevitable. There is no reason beyond favoritism or play-style that anyone would not play MetaKnight if EVERY SINGLE CHARACTER other than MetaKnight has a bad matchup.

If MetaKnight was removed from the game, there would still be a best character. What would be different about this character though is that they would have a bad matchup somehow. Tournaments would consistently have varied results, as any character could potentially run into their bad matchup at some point in the bracket. If the said player learns a secondary to cover this bad matchup, then their secondary as well would have a bad matchup (and if they were playing the best character in the game, then they would be secondarying a worse character).

In the current situation anyone who loves their character, whether it be Ganondorf or ROB, can pick up MetaKnight as an easy secondary which 100% covers every single bad matchup they have.

At the top of every tournament scene in every region there will always be a MetaKnight lingering up there, in the very rare case that the skill of the best MetaKnight is far inferior to other players (such as PA, though it's not a full region (so I can use an example you can relate to), you can see that the only MetaKnight main we have is Xzax, whose skill is inferior to those like Vex and Rogue Pit, however when either of those two players pick up MetaKnight (which they both have), they both instantly have more success than Xzax). In the East there's M2k (and Spammer when he played), in the Midwest there's Judge, in the Southwest there's Dojo, and in the West there is Tyrant. Of course there are some grey areas such as Ally whether he is Midwest or Canada, though it's been shown that Canada has lately had such a MetaKnight problem that they are on the verge of banning him. Even if Ally is this shining hope of glory, outside maybe 3 Snakes in the whole country, there is no other that has proven to be so successful amongst the number of MetaKnights.

SiegKnight

Smash Journeyman
I just want to see him banned for the fun of it, not due to any validity I find in the choice. He's far from bannable, but I feel personally it'd shape up the game and cause an outroar in a manner you could coin as 'amusing.'

Ganonsburg

Smash Lord
I think because we are having such an arguement, and such a close one at that, it shows that Meta Knight isn't ban-worthy. Granted, it would be nice, but if he really was ban worthy we would know it and it would be clear. On the flip side, if he was obviously not ban worthy, we also would know it. But he's in this awkward middle ground. I voted Anti-ban. Who cares? When SSB4 comes out it won't matter. If it doesn't come out the game will grow old and/or become obsolete. On top of that SSBB is a game. Just roll with it and have fun. If your fun includes an almost-broken-but-not-quite-there-yet character, cool. If not, awesome. To each his own.

:034:

Shadowblazen

Smash Cadet

Can someone please answer me this -

How is it appropriate that every single character in the game has at least one bad matchup except for MetaKnight? And no, Snake does not count as a bad matchup for MetaKnight. That has been debated to death so much that I refuse to believe it's anything worse than even.
The answer is that it is not appropriate at all. This characteristic, unique to Meta Knight alone, makes him banworthy because he is always a safe option. One of the main reasons Meta Knight is considered the best character is due to this property. Safe options are contrary to the nature of the counterpick system, and the counterpick system is an irrefutably fundamental establishment in the realm of competitive smash. Therefore, Meta Knight should be banned from tournament play.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
The answer is that it is not appropriate at all. This characteristic, unique to Meta Knight alone, makes him banworthy because he is always a safe option. One of the main reasons Meta Knight is considered the best character is due to this property. Safe options are contrary to the nature of the counterpick system, and the counterpick system is an irrefutably fundamental establishment in the realm of competitive smash. Therefore, Meta Knight should be banned from tournament play.
Thank you. Someone understands!

TK Wolf

Smash Ace
I voted ban because MK matches are boring to watch. I also stopped playing the game competitively 8-ish months ago. Isn't it awesome how people who aren't in the competitive scene are allowed to vote here?
:D

(I didn't vote to be a jerk, just to make a point that this poll is pointless)

SiegKnight

Smash Journeyman
I think because we are having such an arguement, and such a close one at that, it shows that Meta Knight isn't ban-worthy. Granted, it would be nice, but if he really was ban worthy we would know it and it would be clear.
This is very respectable logic if you look at it from a political point of view. Results show themselves as unbiased in their own free time really and assuming he was such a monster, it would visibly skew the game in such a manner that no ban happy and confirmation bias addictive back room, in any community, could not ban.

I still greatly question the validity of that opening post, I feel its proof the back room is scared of letting people make their own unbiased decisions. Just give us the bloody question.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Clai, do the anti-ban side a favor and stop representing them so strongly in this thread. The argument would be a lot better without someone like you being so active in it.

You got pissed at me for posing a very serious question which to me, your answer does no justice to. You can't blame me for not seeing your reasoning in this thread before, as not only is this the first time I have asked this question in this thread, you can't expect me to read almost all 5500 posts. I have a life, and frankly there are other better threads to worry about on the subject for me, such as the SBR version of this.

MetaKnight does over-centralize the game. And if you don't consider at this point that he does, then wait a little longer and check it out again. It's inevitable. There is no reason beyond favoritism or play-style that anyone would not play MetaKnight if EVERY SINGLE CHARACTER other than MetaKnight has a bad matchup.

If MetaKnight was removed from the game, there would still be a best character. What would be different about this character though is that they would have a bad matchup somehow. Tournaments would consistently have varied results, as any character could potentially run into their bad matchup at some point in the bracket. If the said player learns a secondary to cover this bad matchup, then their secondary as well would have a bad matchup (and if they were playing the best character in the game, then they would be secondarying a worse character).

In the current situation anyone who loves their character, whether it be Ganondorf or ROB, can pick up MetaKnight as an easy secondary which 100% covers every single bad matchup they have.

At the top of every tournament scene in every region there will always be a MetaKnight lingering up there, in the very rare case that the skill of the best MetaKnight is far inferior to other players (such as PA, though it's not a full region (so I can use an example you can relate to), you can see that the only MetaKnight main we have is Xzax, whose skill is inferior to those like Vex and Rogue Pit, however when either of those two players pick up MetaKnight (which they both have), they both instantly have more success than Xzax). In the East there's M2k (and Spammer when he played), in the Midwest there's Judge, in the Southwest there's Dojo, and in the West there is Tyrant. Of course there are some grey areas such as Ally whether he is Midwest or Canada, though it's been shown that Canada has lately had such a MetaKnight problem that they are on the verge of banning him. Even if Ally is this shining hope of glory, outside maybe 3 Snakes in the whole country, there is no other that has proven to be so successful amongst the number of MetaKnights.
Spacies over-centralizes the game in melee.. everyone has to know how to play against them or else you will definitely lose. Whether it's Canada/EC/WC.. there are an insane amount of them but none of them are able to win anymore.. because most high-end players know how to beat them completely. I think MK is the exact same thing it's just there are not enough high-level players yet to make a difference.

Edit: If you are unhappy about a certain matchup, change characters.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
If I have to explain my points multiple times to multiple people, I'm fine with that. Yes, they should have read the thread and found the responses there, but I'm not going to hold that against them. It is a very, very, long thread, and answers get lost.

If someone asks me a question and then asks that very same question again, though, especially when I go through the trouble of detailing it out to them, I get irked. I don't know how I keep my sanity. I don't have sanity when it comes to this game. I main Ganon.
there is absolutely nothing wrong with the concept of maining the king of evil

but u cant rly blame peeps for the thread moving so fast...plus i dont think the guy was rly directing that statement at u bb

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=8005815&postcount=5458

deep breaths now

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Some of the best characters in many games have low learning curves.

i.e. - Sagat
... thanks for taking the one line out of context and then proceeding to ignore everything else I said... For starters, yes, Metaknight has the lowest learning curve. He has no true legal techs. He has no counterpicks both stage and character. He has no noteable weaknesses. Mr. Game and Watch has all four so naturally, it gives Mr. Game and Watch players more to learn in order to be successful. If you ask me, Metaknight ---> Mr. Game and Watch ---> ROB ---> Olimar, when it comes to the lowest learning curves in the game. Going back to the point that you ignored, it would be borderline impossible for Metaknight to fall too far behind if there was a temp ban for him. To avoid my words being twisted (again), we already know the results of a temp ban because Metakight banned tournaments, on average, show more character diversity in people that place and higher attendance so it's pointless to temporarily ban Metaknight.

Also, why do we keep comparing Brawl to Street Fighter? You're comparing a game who's main goal was to appease people who like Nintendo in general to a game where David Sirlin was actually on the development staff and was build from the ground up for the competitive community. With that being said, there's an enormous difference and further highlights how you can't truely compare Brawl to other fighting games. This is a point I've made three times now that has conveinently been ignored. We can't keep pretending that this game is something that it's not and treat it accordingly. Honestly, didn't the Melee vs Brawl debates teach anyone anything? You'd figure that with people like Yuna on the anti-ban side that people would stop comparing Brawl with "superior" competitive games.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Are you kidding me on the Sonic stalling. The opponent can control the Sonic stalling by just moving left and right, even if it is considered stalling people don't use it unless they make an error and have to use it to recover because it isn't practical otherwise.
um no you don't at all.
Sonic's homing atack des not require an opponent to be anywhere within the homing attacks range.

As such as soon as he bounces off the bottom of the stage, you can then move to the left or right in order to counter the movement of the HA.

Also infinites on walls are legal with the current stage ruleset. Hence why you see metaknights dtilt locking on Delfino, DDD chaingrab in PS1 etc.
Wrong. Infinites against walls is illegal. The reason it is allowed is because of the fact that those walls disappear and thus, it cannot last forever, otherwise, Shadow moses would be legal.

etecoon

Smash Hero
so like I was playing this meta knight and he kept down smashing my shield and I couldn't grab him or punish him ban plx

gm jack

Smash Lord
Thank you. Someone understands!
However, MK is rarely the best option. While he generally has solid advantages, the matchup ratios are not set in stone. Those with a slight disadvantage can easily make it even if they know the match inside out, and those that are regarded as even can easily be swung either way. Just depends on how you play. That matchup ratios are taken as an average.

For example, when I play as Zelda, I find Ice Climbers really hard to play against. On the other hand, I can do very well against them in a ditto, and I win far more than I lose despite not training my Ice Climbers just because of the change in play the other person needs to deal with (i.e. no massive chain grabs so long as both IC's are there) and I have a decent knowledge of spacing with them.

I suspect there are many who are not certain on MK's match ups, and that he may have a disadvantage in there.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Spacies over-centralizes the game in melee.. everyone has to know how to play against them or else you will definitely lose. Whether it's Canada/EC/WC.. there are an insane amount of them but none of them are able to win anymore.. because most high-end players know how to beat them completely. I think MK is the exact same thing it's just there are not enough high-level players yet to make a difference.
I disagree. In two parts:
1) Spacies in Melee can easily be debated to have bad matchups in Melee. They are both some of the fastest fallers in the game, making them combo'ed easily. Both can easily lose to Marth, and in the case of a mid tier character Samus, Samus beats Falco and goes even with Fox. Because of how easily combo'ed they are, so many other characters have such tricks on them that make the matchup not that bad. Also generally for a spacy to have a good advantage in Melee, a great amount of tech skill is needed, when the threshold of skill needed to be good with MetaKnight is laughable.

2) Melee is a game of where combos can excel (especially with the fact that spacies are fastfallers). In the small chance in either game you land a hit on these dominant characters (Fox or MK), in Melee you can actually follow up that hit into dealing massive damage and potentially a death combo when in Brawl... you hit each other, go back to the ledge, and laugh. There is so much room for error in Brawl that someone who is MetaKnight with lesser skill will have so many more open opportunities to attack their opponent and win these mini confrontations that happen during each stock when in Melee more is on the line as combos can be disastrous. Let's also not forget edgeguarding, where it is impossible to truly edgeguard MetaKnight where in Melee with no ledge snapping and in the case of space animals - sort of predictable recovery, edgeguarding is more important.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657

"Everything that makes MK broken is banned!"

OK, but they're still broken and we still had to change the rules just for him. Plus, that's not true, he's too good for a lot of other reasons.

"The Counterpicking System is not mandatory"

You're right. Let's change the game and add rules, or pretend rules don't exist, rules that have been fine and worked great up until now -- again -- so that MK appears less ridiculous than he is.

"MK gets beaten a lot."

And yet MK players have won 30% of the community's tournament money.

swordgard

Smash Hero

"Everything that makes MK broken is banned!"

OK, but they're still broken and we still had to change the rules just for him. Plus, that's not true, he's too good for a lot of other reasons.

"The Counterpicking System is not mandatory"

You're right. Let's change the game and add rules, or pretend rules don't exist, rules that have been fine and worked great up until now -- again -- so that MK appears less ridiculous than he is.

"MK gets beaten a lot."

Bandwagon effect >.>

gm jack

Smash Lord
"MK gets beaten a lot."

Means nothing until we know how many who entered mained MK. On top of that, the bias for more top players to pick good characters, rather than bottom tiers (who tend to have a small handful of dedicated and very talented pros) needs to be taken into account. It has to be in proportion.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
For the record, Sagat does not have an easy learning curve. He just seems easy because the people who play Sagat have been playing Sagat since forever, and for the most part, he has maintained the same basic strategy.

Carry on.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
(Sorry if this is a double post but I expect someone to reply before I'm done typing this)

That was a waste of what could have easily been said here on the forums...

If counterpicking isn't mandatory, can you please explain to me why instead of just stating it with no facts? Your flash animation can't do everything for you.

In the case of planking, stalling, and IDC being banned:
Planking: There is no real way to ban this outside of the edge grab rules. They started at 70. Still a problem. Went to 50, still a problem. TOs are now considering to bring it down to as low as 25! This is to the point where it greatly hampers other character's styles of play that aren't playing "unfair." As for a judges rule, that is completely opinionated and invalid.
Stalling: The only real way stalling can be banned is as said in most rules, doing infinites past 300%. MetaKnight does not have a method of doing this anyway, except in the off chance of getting a tilt lock against a wall. So this doesn't really help.
IDC: It's been proven that even after banning it MK's have been able to use it a little bit to get them out of tough situations with no problem. Not enough to really realize it the moment of, but enough so that while watching a replay carefully it's dead obvious. It's happened time and time again and even players like m2k are abusing it. Let's also not forget EDC, which currently isn't banned due to the different circumstances.
Instead of making 20 different rules to keep this character in line, and that you're saying they are NEEDED, it is far more appropriate to ban the character instead.

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
I'm sure these arguements have happened on this thread already, but new people are bringing them up to debate with other new people. (I've even said that sentence before)

I think it's better to hear someone's PERSONAL opinion with this than trying to bring up theories and facts (?) Cause I'm sure I'll more to say from there.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
wow 30% that's like more than half! what a broken character
A perfectly balanced game with all 37 characters winning would mean each character would win 2.7% of money. I'm not saying this is a great point to bring up, but you saying 30% isn't much is extremely false, especially considering the large amount of scrub tourneys out there, and all the tourneys that aren't reported into Ankokou's data.
Also, I'm not sure if doubles was included in it, which would rise the % even more.

etecoon

Smash Hero
30% of the winnings going to one of thirty-seven characters? You don't think that's a bit absurd?
No, only like 15, maybe 20 characters matter that much, low tiers ever doing anything of significance is an extreme anomaly that nearly never happens, the bottom rung characters like ganon/link/samus are totally irrelevant, they are awful and shouldn't be expected to win with or without meta knight, because they wouldn't. one character winning 30% or even higher of tournaments is not unusual for a fighting game at all, the only reason it is an issue is this community.

OFY

Sonic main since 08'
Wrong. Infinites against walls is illegal. The reason it is allowed is because of the fact that those walls disappear and thus, it cannot last forever, otherwise, Shadow moses would be legal.
IN THIS CURRENT STAGE RULESET.

Go **** yourself ******, don't try to correct me when I was originally correct.

swordgard

Smash Hero
(Sorry if this is a double post but I expect someone to reply before I'm done typing this)

That was a waste of what could have easily been said here on the forums...

If counterpicking isn't mandatory, can you please explain to me why instead of just stating it with no facts? Your flash animation can't do everything for you.

In the case of planking, stalling, and IDC being banned:
Planking: There is no real way to ban this outside of the edge grab rules. They started at 70. Still a problem. Went to 50, still a problem. TOs are now considering to bring it down to as low as 25! This is to the point where it greatly hampers other character's styles of play that aren't playing "unfair." As for a judges rule, that is completely opinionated and invalid.
Stalling: The only real way stalling can be banned is as said in most rules, doing infinites past 300%. MetaKnight does not have a method of doing this anyway, except in the off chance of getting a tilt lock against a wall. So this doesn't really help.
IDC: It's been proven that even after banning it MK's have been able to use it a little bit to get them out of tough situations with no problem. Not enough to really realize it the moment of, but enough so that while watching a replay carefully it's dead obvious. It's happened time and time again and even players like m2k are abusing it. Let's also not forget EDC, which currently isn't banned due to the different circumstances.
Instead of making 20 different rules to keep this character in line, and that you're saying they are NEEDED, it is far more appropriate to ban the character instead.
How many times must i explain this to people who are supposed to know stuff.

Dtilt infinites do NOT exist. I am losing faith in alot of SBR members.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I disagree. In two parts:
1) Spacies in Melee can easily be debated to have bad matchups in Melee. They are both some of the fastest fallers in the game, making them combo'ed easily. Both can easily lose to Marth, and in the case of a mid tier character Samus, Samus beats Falco and goes even with Fox. Because of how easily combo'ed they are, so many other characters have such tricks on them that make the matchup not that bad. Also generally for a spacy to have a good advantage in Melee, a great amount of tech skill is needed, when the threshold of skill needed to be good with MetaKnight is laughable.

2) Melee is a game of where combos can excel (especially with the fact that spacies are fastfallers). In the small chance in either game you land a hit on these dominant characters (Fox or MK), in Melee you can actually follow up that hit into dealing massive damage and potentially a death combo when in Brawl... you hit each other, go back to the ledge, and laugh. There is so much room for error in Brawl that someone who is MetaKnight with lesser skill will have so many more open opportunities to attack their opponent and win these mini confrontations that happen during each stock when in Melee more is on the line as combos can be disastrous. Let's also not forget edgeguarding, where it is impossible to truly edgeguard MetaKnight where in Melee with no ledge snapping and in the case of space animals - sort of predictable recovery, edgeguarding is more important.
That's not true, players such as Jman or Cactuar have merely the basic tech skill needed with Fox to win and both perform extremely with that. You only need to wait for the moment to try an attack.. and since Fox has extreme priority well it's hard to punish. Fox has only even matchups depending on the stage, of course that is the same thing with MK, MK does have bad stages as well. And of course again, Brawl works differently as defensive gameplay is way more important and there's no advantage to approach so it's all baiting and making the other guy do something. It's true that MK has more priority but it's never a lost cause, you are making it seem as if MK is impossible to win against. There is always a way to punish with a certain character and I saw with Holy's Rob against M2k at one point.. M2k could NOT approach at all and he took 90% damage and then he even died because he got punished properly.. (Just an example)

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
I am actually going to say something in this godforsaken thread.

SFP, if you think MK is easy mode pick him up. Start winning tourneys if it's soooooooooo easy.

Smooth Criminal
Great Idea.

Here's a question for everyone:
Would Brawl be more balanced without MetaKnight?
I don't think so. Doesn't really solve THAT much problems. We still have a whole lot to deal with.

Anyway, he is here to stay. So, can I assume that rule sets will be updated so that all forms of Infinite Dimensional Cape and Extended Dimensional Cape are banned? I hope so.

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
Here's a question for everyone:
Would Brawl be more balanced without MetaKnight?
Meta Knight is not the main reason for Brawl being unbalanced. Nearly every fighting game is unbalanced.

Let me explain something, banning Meta Knight would not be worth it just to make the viable character list better and more diverse. There are characters like Yoshi and Jiggs that do better than half the cast against Meta Knight, but they're match-ups with other top and high tiers are alot worse. And there are higher tier characters like that. If Meta Knight is banned, those characters will be used LESS because with MK out of the way, more top tiers that **** the lower tiers will be used.

Clai

Smash Lord
Where men are born and champions are raised
I feel very, very strongly against the ban, so I'm going to argue for the anti-ban side until my brain explodes. And how exactly is the anti-ban side going to be better without me? I respond to everyone's points, detail by detail, using the criteria that have existed for decades. I've been giving points that are clearly evidenced by the performance of the other players. If you're discrediting me because I'm not following your delusion that Metaknight is ban-worthy, you are full of yourself.

You got pissed at me for posing a very serious question
I got pissed because you asked the exact same question in this thread and I already answered it, and then, without giving any type of remark about my previous answer, you ask the question again; you either completely ignored my last remark or just thrown it out all together. That's why I'm pissed.

which to me, your answer does no justice to. You can't blame me for not seeing your reasoning in this thread before, as not only is this the first time I have asked this question in this thread, you can't expect me to read almost all 5500 posts.
If you give me a few minutes, I'll search up the thread and find the post where've you asked the question and the post I used to answer it.

I have a life, and frankly there are other better threads to worry about on the subject for me, such as the SBR version of this.
Okay, so you go do that and leave me to argue my points on this thread without you being on your high-horse about that, 'kay?

Metaknight is centralizing the metagame, we agree that much. Metaknight's the best character in the game, he deserves to centralize the metagame. We agree, that, in a vacuum, Metaknight would be the best choice because he has no bad matchups.

Where we disagree, though, is that you think Metaknight is worthy of being banned because you are completely theorizing in a vacuum. As for my theories, they come from reality, where tournaments are proving again and again that Metaknight is not centralizing the game enough to be considered overcentralizing. It would be considered overcentalizing if Metaknight's presence forced players to either counterpick MK with MK or lose, not just in a vacuum, but in reality. However, many characters have reasonable, and I repeat, reasonable (just because you don't have an advantage on Metaknight doesn't mean you don't have a reasonable chance of winning) changes of beating Metaknight, and tournaments and the performances of players prove that to be the case.

If MetaKnight was removed from the game, there would still be a best character. What would be different about this character though is that they would have a bad matchup somehow.
Just because Metaknight banned would create the ideal situation where even the best character can be counterpicked, doesn't mean we have to do it. Games aren't ideal, and we can't force them to be if it violates the principles of fighting games that have existed for years.

Tournaments would consistently have varied results, as any character could potentially run into their bad matchup at some point in the bracket. If the said player learns a secondary to cover this bad matchup, then their secondary as well would have a bad matchup (and if they were playing the best character in the game, then they would be secondarying a worse character).
You're imagining an ideal situation. Guess what? Games don't have to be ideal. Brawl isn't balanced. Brawl has one best character instead of several. As long as he's not dominating the game (and tournaments have proven again and again that Metaknight is not dominating the game), then we have to deal with it.

Again, you're talking about in a vacuum. If they love Ganondorf or R.O.B. put end up using Metaknight because of matchup problems, then they're playing to win. A character's ease of matchups does not equal ban when that character is not overcentralizing the metagame (which I've discussed) or dominating the tournament scene (which tournaments, again, have proven)

At the top of every tournament scene in every region there will always be a MetaKnight lingering up there
Ally and whatever region of Canada and the Midwest he's in say hi.

in the very rare case that the skill of the best MetaKnight is far inferior to other players (such as PA, though it's not a full region (so I can use an example you can relate to), you can see that the only MetaKnight main we have is Xzax, whose skill is inferior to those like Vex and Rogue Pit, however when either of those two players pick up MetaKnight (which they both have), they both instantly have more success than Xzax).
Vex and Rogue Pit are far better players than Xzax. They understand the principles of spacing, when to be aggressive, when to be defensive, etc. etc. better than Xzax. So when Vex and Rogue Pit pick up Metaknight, of course they're going to have more success than Xzax, even when Xzax has practiced Metaknight more than them, because those two are simply superior players. This game is about a lot more than just character selection, or else you can just pick a character on the selection screen and the game would just skip to the results and say the better character won.

In the East there's M2k (and Spammer when he played), in the Midwest there's Judge, in the Southwest there's Dojo, and in the West there is Tyrant.
So top players from different regions all main Metaknight. Big whoop. If all of those players moved to Florida, and the new top players for those regions main characters who aren't Metaknight, would you be still complain? M2K, Dojo, Judge and Tyrant would still be doing really good and placing high at national tournaments, but we'd remove this silly assumption that since one player who's on top of his region just happens to main Metaknight, that it's somehow a measurement of the character and not the player.

Of course there are some grey areas such as Ally whether he is Midwest or Canada, though it's been shown that Canada has lately had such a MetaKnight problem that they are on the verge of banning him.
Ontario is a region full of scrubs. How dare you associate Ally with that region. That's like saying because a bunch of hicks from Montana banned Metaknight, then that somehow takes away from everything the top non-Meta mains from this country do .

Even if Ally is this shining hope of glory, outside maybe 3 Snakes in the whole country, there is no other that has proven to be so successful amongst the number of MetaKnights.
Okay, here's where I'm going to slow down and repeat points that I've stated about a thousand times before:

When the best character is also the most overused character, that character is going to have better tournament placings than all the other characters.
When the best character is also the most overused character, there are going to be more top players using Metaknight than all the other characters.
Metaknight is still not over-centralizing the metagame,
Metaknight is not forcing top, or even high-level players to either counterpick Metaknight with Metaknight or lose.
We do not live in a vacuum; many players are able to place high and even win regional/national tournaments without having to use Metaknight, even when every time they fight a Metaknight, they risk being in a slight disadvantage.
Metaknight is not dominating the tournament scene.
Metaknight has nothing that makes him any more than the best and most overused character in the game,
Metaknight does not deserve to be banned.

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
Brawl's Worst Nightmare:

Just tryin' to lighten the mood in here. So much arguing and hate and not enough love and happiness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom