• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Finally, a ban on children in a restaurant!

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
Children should just be banned in general.

Banned from ALL restaurants? YEAH!
Banned from movie theaters? YEAAAAH!
Planes? OH **** YEAH!
Any sort of activity that takes place outside the house? I'd just be so.....happy.

Takumaru

Smash Lord
If only there were some sort of place we could send children that would keep them out of hair for the majority of the day. . . I think a place like that would be cool.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
It believe children should only be banned based on their behavior, if a child is acting rowdy and is loud then I have no problem but if another child were to show and isn't guilty of such a thing, should they ban him harshly as well? I think not, that would be stereotyping.

That's like saying everybody who joins SWF whose 12yrs. and under should be banned just because of others who were immature and obnoxious, it shouldn't apply to everyone, just to those who deserve it.

:phone:

Alien Vision

Smash Ace
Are you guys actually serious about this ignorant respect towards what we once were? Do you have any idea the psychological damages kids go through being stuffed in a daycare like they were just some kind of object being stored?

Honestly, the decency of this thread's responses are horrible. I believe the young kids being banned from restaurants is a great thing, but as far as some of you go against children, it's really appalling. You're a disgrace to your younger self, and as an overall being to say such things.

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
Actually... studies by Purdue University (and many other places, I just have personally spoken with the researchers in the study at Purdue and the head of the Child Psychology there) show that high quality childcare has no negative effects on children and is just as beneficial to their growth and development as a parent staying home all day and looking after them.

I think banning them is fine ethically, and we'll just have to see how it works out business wise.

and btw, I'm pretty sure you simply missed the sarcasm in their posts, I just thought people might find this interesting.

Brightside6382

Smash Lord
Are you guys actually serious about this ignorant respect towards what we once were? Do you have any idea the psychological damages kids go through being stuffed in a daycare like they were just some kind of object being stored?

Honestly, the decency of this thread's responses are horrible. I believe the young kids being banned from restaurants is a great thing, but as far as some of you go against children, it's really appalling. You're a disgrace to your younger self, and as an overall being to say such things.
You and your 20th century notions of morality.

Alien Vision

Smash Ace
You and your 20th century notions of morality.
What morality? I'm stating the obvious. Acting like kids should only be kept in their houses is ignorant. If anything, the parents are to blame for the way their kids behave. If you treat a dog bad, it will become a stubborn git. If you treat a dog good, it will grow up to be a dog people could love. Same goes for kids. Everything we say, or do, affects them in the longrun.

Sometimes though. Parents just don't know what is good, and what is bad for their child. It's not always their fault. That, or they are forced to be away from the house alot. I can understand things like this.

Takumaru

Smash Lord
Here is the restaurant's website: http://www.mcdains.com/

Young children have no place in a more grown up setting like McDains. They advertise themselves as "upscale, quiet and casual", which is no place to take a volatile kid. Yeah, people who get drunk can be loud and rowdy but at least you can legally kick them out. It just becomes a little more complicated with loud kids because the whole family gets in involved. Kids are fine in places that are more family oriented, but parents should be aware that just because kids are allowed some place doesn't mean that should be there. It's like taking a young kid to see an R rated horror flick. You just shouldn't do it.

Alien Vision

Smash Ace
Here is the restaurant's website: http://www.mcdains.com/

Young children have no place in a more grown up setting like McDains. They advertise themselves as "upscale, quiet and casual", which is no place to take a volatile kid. Yeah, people who get drunk can be loud and rowdy but at least you can legally kick them out. It just becomes a little more complicated with loud kids because the whole family gets in involved. Kids are fine in places that are more family oriented, but parents should be aware that just because kids are allowed some place doesn't mean that should be there. It's like taking a young kid to see an R rated horror flick. You just shouldn't do it.
^ ^ ^ This

DTP

L o s t - in reality~

Sorry you're incapable of taking a joke?

Yeah, I could give a **** about all the little kiddies out there, but of course I wouldn't want them banned from everything.
Just most things :troll:

I wonder what daycare he went to that made him think like that.

:phone:
haha no kidding.

RATED

Smash Lord
Now, lets ban them from Movie theaters. At least from a LOT of movies, except from Little kids oriented movies. I mean, I want to watch a movie without kids being annoying at it.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Said restrictions aren't fair to the kids who do behave and have some level of maturity.
It's still never safe. There is always a chance that a child under the age of 6 will act up. I don't care how mature the kid is, it's going to happen eventually.

Alien Vision

Smash Ace
It's still never safe. There is always a chance that a child under the age of 6 will act up. I don't care how mature the kid is, it's going to happen eventually.
It's funny, because when you were at that age, and your parents told you that ''No you cannot go in there'' you would feel just like any other mature 6 year old like you were helpless. They feel abandoned, left out, when you question their maturity.

Anyways, your post makes no sense really. ''I don't care how mature the kid is''. Sounds like this is just a petty opinion of yours because you want your peace. So you rather lock out kids who can have the potential to behave inorder to restore order to the places you go to?

Preposterous! Kids have feelings too for god's sake. Stop acting like they are just ''there''.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Said restrictions aren't fair to the kids who do behave and have some level of maturity.
AI highly agree with this! There's no sense of punishing the good and innocent just because someone else committed such a thing.

For a second there, I thought you were actually being a moron.

Life

Smash Hero
Can we ban kids from this site? :troll:

Although in response to the daycare thing: "high-quality" daycare ~= average parenting? kk

(don't mind the post color, I'm just trolling Tesh with it)

Alien Vision

Smash Ace
Although in response to the daycare thing: "high-quality" daycare ~= average parenting? kk
Are you serious? Are you really going to O.K a place just because it's known to be High Quality? What about the kids in this ''High Quality'' daycare? What about the atmosphere? What about not being with their very own parent in the first place?

Seriously?

You, of all people.

Children should be used for unpaid manual labor from ages 4-18. The US economy would skyrocket.
I lol'd.

Takumaru

Smash Lord
AI highly agree with this! There's no sense of punishing the good and innocent just because someone else committed such a thing.
It happens all the time. That's just part of life and living with other people. All it takes is one person to do something out of line and blow it for everyone else. One kid stabs another over a poke'mon card and suddenly poke'mon cards are banned. It's how we, as a society, maintain some semblance of order. If something has the potential to cause trouble we strike it down. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, it's just how it is.

Doser

Smash Ace
It's funny, because when you were at that age, and your parents told you that ''No you cannot go in there'' you would feel just like any other mature 6 year old like you were helpless. They feel abandoned, left out, when you question their maturity.

Anyways, your post makes no sense really. ''I don't care how mature the kid is''. Sounds like this is just a petty opinion of yours because you want your peace. So you rather lock out kids who can have the potential to behave inorder to restore order to the places you go to?

Preposterous! Kids have feelings too for god's sake. Stop acting like they are just ''there''.
I'm not sure if you're just autistic or trolling.

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
I can never tell if I'm being trolled or not if I'm not in the debate hall, but...
Are you serious? Are you really going to O.K a place just because it's known to be High Quality?
There are national (United States) rating measures using in-depth criteria for assessment of level of quality. I have used these models myself as a student, but obviously the daycare center in question would be assessed by a professional. These ratings are about as objective as I can imagine, and leave little room for personal judgement and are largely a multi-faceted hierarchical model easily interpreted after adding the individual components together.

What about the kids in this ''High Quality'' daycare?
Of course we speak of the majority of individuals the majority of the time, and most studies of the sort have at least a p value of less than .05 if they are to be published, although I don't recall the specific significance level of this one. Other than assuring you this information applies to the large majority of "kids" I don't know to what you make reference. There will be individual variance, but that's why we look at the p-value.

What about the atmosphere?
Accounted for in the assessment model.

What about not being with their very own parent in the first place?
Again, the study suggested, and it was the conclusion of the researchers that there is no significant difference in child outcomes between those who were watched by a parent and those placed in high quality childcare, as determined by the assessment model.

I think people tend to generally over estimate the role of environment in non-extreme scenarios. Statistically, your parents are large predictors of your political perspective, religion, and socioeconomic class (I actually haven't seen a study of the third, merely heard it from a reliable source), that's about it. Whether you are or aren't a "good" of "bad" child has little to do with your upbringing, unless your notion of "good" or "bad" has relies on one of the aforementioned factors. Kids will largely become who they are independent of the environment, assuming we call "evocative" environment/individual relationships merely and extension of the individual component, which I think we can reasonably do. I think this individual component is more or less a genetic predetermination, although if you want to call it something else like a "soul" or "essence" or "personality" (all things I think would manifest themselves as mere extensions of one's genetics, at least as I see them used generally one is free to assign different semantic value to any of these words.) you have the liberty to do so since my suspicion has not (yet) been proven.

And finally, don't act as though a mature child not being let into an institution will have some sort of lasting effect on them. They won't be traumatized and the social conditioning to support pro-social maturity will be present at their school if for some reason no where else exists.

Seriously?
I might ask the same question.

Alien Vision

Smash Ace
I can never tell if I'm being trolled or not if I'm not in the debate hall, but...

There are national (United States) rating measures using in-depth criteria for assessment of level of quality. I have used these models myself as a student, but obviously the daycare center in question would be assessed by a professional. These ratings are about as objective as I can imagine, and leave little room for personal judgement and are largely a multi-faceted hierarchical model easily interpreted after adding the individual components together.

Of course we speak of the majority of individuals the majority of the time, and most studies of the sort have at least a p value of less than .05 if they are to be published, although I don't recall the specific significance level of this one. Other than assuring you this information applies to the large majority of "kids" I don't know to what you make reference. There will be individual variance, but that's why we look at the p-value.

Accounted for in the assessment model.

Again, the study suggested, and it was the conclusion of the researchers that there is no significant difference in child outcomes between those who were watched by a parent and those placed in high quality childcare, as determined by the assessment model.

I think people tend to generally over estimate the role of environment in non-extreme scenarios. Statistically, your parents are large predictors of your political perspective, religion, and socioeconomic class (I actually haven't seen a study of the third, merely heard it from a reliable source), that's about it. Whether you are or aren't a "good" of "bad" child has little to do with your upbringing, unless your notion of "good" or "bad" has relies on one of the aforementioned factors. Kids will largely become who they are independent of the environment, assuming we call "evocative" environment/individual relationships merely and extension of the individual component, which I think we can reasonably do. I think this individual component is more or less a genetic predetermination, although if you want to call it something else like a "soul" or "essence" or "personality" (all things I think would manifest themselves as mere extensions of one's genetics) you have the liberty to do so since my suspicion has not (yet) been proven.

And finally, don't act as though a mature child not being let into an institution will have some sort of lasting effect on them. They won't be traumatized and the social conditioning to support pro-social maturity will be present at their school if for some reason no where else exists.

I might ask the same question.
Fair enough. I only said ''seriously'' based off what I originally thought of the idea. Now that you've explained it, I can understand it.

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
I noticed as I typed the second post there were a couple of things I should have clarified initially.

#HBC | Dancer

The nicest of the damned.
I wish more places were more willing to place in rules like this tbh.

Also relax AV, it's not like kids being placed in day cares are there 24/7. I'm sure that almost all kids are still getiing a good deal of parent time (I think (and hope)).

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
At first I was all "Hmmm...maybe this isn't right"

...And then a horrible woman brought her horrible children into the restaurant I work at....and now I support them.

Smash Master
One time this kid on a plane spent the whole flight jumping on the back of my seat and screaming in my ear. At first I was going to say to the parents "hey, you've spent what, 6 years on this one tops? Maybe break its neck and start over." but I settled for telling the kid that Santa is his parents, which is what I usually do when kids cross boundaries and their parents don't try to reel them in.

I think ******* should be seen and not heard. It's just there's so many ****** children.

Top Bottom