• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Finally, a ban on children in a restaurant!

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I saw the reason for the law exemplified last night with my wife.

We went to a Tex-Mex place in Atlanta where it has a pretty loud and casual atmosphere. Throughout our dinner (which started at 10PM), a small child of about 2 or 3 ran around the restaurant. Every time he came back, he had more food with him. At one point, he ran into the kitchen. The family he was with was just laughing and awwing at him, but even in the casual atmosphere he was being a nuisance. He ran up to workers, and it was just a danger. At one point, I saw him dart off in a different direction, then I saw no one at the table even saw him leave. Again, this is 10PM in a dimly lit restaurant in a big city. The kid could have been kidnapped before anyone would have noticed he was gone. Luckily for them he was not, but I think this restaurant rule NEEDS to become a law. Kids should not be in a restaurant running amok period.

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
As someone who has worked in the environment CK describes I can tell you how much of a nightmare unsupervised children are. I've seen staff trip over them while carry plates, I've seen them getting knees to the face because staff were paying attention to what they were doing and not at lumps moving around beneath eye view. They're a nightmare to try to work around.

frotaz37

Smash Lord
Evil Eye it's completely nonsensical that you can call my posting arrogant when all you've done is show up and re-word arguments I've already addressed and then act like you've totally defeated me with your superior logic and reasoning, especially when I've already explained that the analogy is not perfect and that I only used it to describe the similarities between the frame of mind that leads to such a ban. Also, I wasn't even the one who brought up the comparison in the first place, so what the hell? It's not even my analogy, why are you getting so mad?

The way I post is no different than the way anyone else in this thread has posted. The reality is, you simply don't like my view so you're acting like I'm somehow doing something wrong by arguing it. If anyone here is guilty of arrogance and self righteousness, it's you. So get off your high horse and grow up...there's absolutely no reason for you to be behaving in such a hostile manner.

Let's switch tracks, though. I really don't want this thread to carry on as "frotaz gets flamed by childish and passive aggressive moderators for having an opinion that's different from the majority" until it gets locked.
Agreed.

I wish people would be more willing to discuss things openly. Crimson King, did anyone at the diner approach the family and let them know their kids were disturbing the peace? Sometimes parents get caught up in thinking that their kids are so adorable they forget that other people might not feel the same way. I wonder how many of these situations could be avoided with better communication.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I wish people would be more willing to discuss things openly. Crimson King, did anyone at the diner approach the family and let them know their kids were disturbing the peace? Sometimes parents get caught up in thinking that their kids are so adorable they forget that other people might not feel the same way. I wonder how many of these situations could be avoided with better communication.
This is bull. The parents are supposed to be doing this on their own, who gives a **** if they are too charmed by their kid to actually watch them? What kind of rationalization is that? The onus is not on THE OTHER PATRONS OF THE RESTAURANT to babysit. It shouldn't even be up to the staff of the restaurant. They shouldn't have to tell you how to raise and watch your kids in public.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I think they have, actually. It's in the media everywhere, people telling parents should watch their children, teaching them how to be respectful of others, how to stay out of the way when people are at work... It has never really worked, from what I can see, if that ban happened on that restaurant. A single law forbidding children under whatever age is agreed upon to attend certain public places would do the same thing as personnel telling every family to control their children a hundred times a day.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Man this guy is a worse troll than I am

The restaurant shouldn't tell the parents that they're being ****ty parents, it should be their responsibility

And anyways, I think this should be implemented everywhere. I'm wondering what kind of restaurant would be the limit to ban kids. I mean, fast food joints wouldn't be doing this sort of thing everywhere right?

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Honestly, I'm more than happy that someone finally gets it. There's nothing worse than a snot-nosed 7-year-old crying up a storm when trying to enjoy a peaceful, quiet dinner with friends. Now this may be a bit biased, since I detest kids to begin with, but I still am in favor of banning children until they're maybe 14 at youngest.

"Oh, but you were a baby and a kid once, so you can't hate kids, since you were a kid, herp derp!"

My answer to the quote is obvious: No I wasn't! I was born the way I currently am; all 5'9" of me, WITH body hair included. My mother never gave birth more than I actually punched my way out of the womb like the man I am, so there... I was never a kid. :p

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Man this guy is a worse troll than I am

The restaurant shouldn't tell the parents that they're being ****ty parents, it should be their responsibility

And anyways, I think this should be implemented everywhere. I'm wondering what kind of restaurant would be the limit to ban kids. I mean, fast food joints wouldn't be doing this sort of thing everywhere right?
I think a fast food place doing this would be a little over the top and unnecessary. Does anyone go to Burger King for the ambience/atmosphere?

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Does anyone go to Burger King for the ambience/atmosphere?
Ok, this replaces the previous best post in the thread. ha! Totally, man., There's nothing like greasy seats, salt-strewn tables and 5-inch-long-finger-nail-having cashiers talkin' like there's glue sticking their tongues to their cheeks all

"um, whatchu wan smaw meedeeum or lawge"

frotaz37

Smash Lord
This is bull. The parents are supposed to be doing this on their own, who gives a **** if they are too charmed by their kid to actually watch them? What kind of rationalization is that? The onus is not on THE OTHER PATRONS OF THE RESTAURANT to babysit. It shouldn't even be up to the staff of the restaurant. They shouldn't have to tell you how to raise and watch your kids in public.
Obviously the parents should be doing it but it's pretty clear that sometimes they don't. Of course it's easy to say IT'S NOT THE PATRONS OF THE RESTAURANTS RESPONSIBILITY but that doesn't really matter...if a kid is constantly being and *** and nobody ever says anything, they'll never know. Fact is, even with this ban there will still be kids in places annoying people and people who would rather sit there miserable and complain about it later than be assertive and try to improve the problem as it's happening.

By the way, I sense a serious disdain and lack of empathy towards kids in this thread...makes me wonder if anyone here has spent any significant time around kids at all (smash tournaments don't count <_<).

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Hey! let's talk positive about it!

This could be good news for nanny's and babysitters!
And the Daddys will be soooo happy taking care of those looney kids like we were before while
mommys and her friends goes to a girls night out at a five star restaurant! Isn't that wonderful? :bee:

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Obviously the parents should be doing it but it's pretty clear that sometimes they don't. Of course it's easy to say IT'S NOT THE PATRONS OF THE RESTAURANTS RESPONSIBILITY but that doesn't really matter...if a kid is constantly being and *** and nobody ever says anything, they'll never know. Fact is, even with this ban there will still be kids in places annoying people and people who would rather sit there miserable and complain about it later than be assertive and try to improve the problem as it's happening.

By the way, I sense a serious disdain and lack of empathy towards kids in this thread...makes me wonder if anyone here has spent any significant time around kids at all (smash tournaments don't count <_<).
I avoid being around children because after 17, when I would be in a room with a kid and their parent wasn't able to give them attention, I was expected to do so, and I don't want that responsibility. That kid hurts himself, and I would be responsible. No thanks.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
The only thing I hate more than children are their ****ing stupid and annoying parents.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Yea, kids can be a drag sometimes, wanting attention and often disrupting with what I have to do, at least it has happened to me, it would be a hassle to raise kids IMO.

:phone:

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
^ That's just dumb.
But spelt, It might have one of those clothing designs that lets air get in. Or maybe it just like that. This can be over with when you get the hang of it.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Welp, if your goal is to look like a giant grey mutated penis, then you're doing a pretty bang-up job imo.

Raidex

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Raaidex
It's about time something like this happened. I've been annoyed so many times by crying and whining little kids running around pissing everyone off.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
It's not the children that are the problem, it's their ****ing stupid parents who haven't taught them a lick of discipline and let their cute little angels climb on **** and piss people off.

TL OWNS U

Smash Apprentice
Kids are going to be rowdy and noisy and sometimes it's not under control. While I agree on banning rowdy children, we shouldn't ban children who are respectful.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Kids are going to be rowdy and noisy and sometimes it's not under control. While I agree on banning rowdy children, we shouldn't ban children who are respectful.

Thing is, how is one to determine that?

"Oh, this kid looks pretty respectful and mild-mannered, let him in.....but THIS kid, **** this kid he looks like a punk!"

really, that kind of system would probably lead to racist exclusion.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
This is a terrible idea.

TL OWNS U

Smash Apprentice
Alright then let me ask you this? What if you're 6 years old and you're a very good person and very respectful and your favorite place to eat suddenly says "sorry we can't let you eat here because you're a spoiled brat". How would you feel?

Plus you can usually tell if a kid is a brat or not within the 1st 10 seconds of the kid entering the place.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
A kid is a kid. You can be the most mature respectful kid you can be but you're still going to blow up for absolutely no reason eventually.

Even the smartest kids are prone to temper tantrums.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Alright then let me ask you this? What if you're 6 years old and you're a very good person and very respectful and your favorite place to eat suddenly says "sorry we can't let you eat here because you're a spoiled brat". How would you feel?

Plus you can usually tell if a kid is a brat or not within the 1st 10 seconds of the kid entering the place.

This is no better than any other type of profiling.

TL OWNS U

Smash Apprentice
Still it's important for kids to get out of the house and go to places early in their lives. How long until they start doing this with other places? Why should good children suffer because of bad children?

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yeah, and fine restaurants are the only place they can go to get out of the house.

Not like, a park, or anything like that....

TL OWNS U

Smash Apprentice
Like I said how long until they ban places like parks for kids 6 and under? They also do this with a lot of other things. I can't buy dust removal (I have to dust off my game systems every 2 weeks) without ID because ******* kids tried to get high on that stuff.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Ok, seriously? Now you're going with slippery slope arguments? Just stop.

Top Bottom