• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Falco Q&A

S l o X

Smash Champion
Why does shine>bair = ****? It's just so nice.

Oh and how useful is that shxt Zhu does? Wavedash off ledge (dont grab/hold downwards) > b-air for edge guarding? It's really fancy but does it pay off? Sounds REALLY easily punishable if a mistake is made.

how2shine oos ?

AvengerAngel

Smash Journeyman
aight W/e .

I dont see why you asked

Its still a bad tactic to rely on in a spacie ditto
I was asking if spot dodging actually works as a counter to different kind of pillars, not just for the standard one (in which case it does, because I've been using it successfully)
I don't get why it's a bad tactic if it actually works vs. opponents that rely on standard Dair > shine shield pressure :O

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
I was asking if spot dodging actually works as a counter to different kind of pillars, not just for the standard one (in which case it does, because I've been using it successfully)
I don't get why it's a bad tactic if it actually works vs. opponents that rely on standard Dair > shine shield pressure :O
Standard pillaring is like 07-08. When somebody inquires as to if something works, I always assume that the opponent is top level.

Its just a waste of time and develops bad habits to assume any thing else because when you play better people you will have to re-ask that same question and learn something new.

Although spot dodging is used/useful, you can get ***** soooooo hard for doing it. I dont recommend relying on that tactic in spacie dittos. To easy to punish! Just because it works on your friend doesnt mean its good.

Unless of course if your friend happens to be Da Shizwiz or mango.

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
Yes.

If you time it wrong and they put a shield up your only option is to dj out of there or be shield grabbed, and now you're just above them without a double jump...

S l o X

Smash Champion
I mean, you've seen him do it successfully more than once. Soooo....
Is that a yes? because I've only seen it like 3 times and 3/3 successful attempts made by a pro level player doesn't mean its necessarily a good habit/thing to pick up.

how exactly do you shine OOS?

TresChikon

Smash Lord
Yes.

If you time it wrong and they put a shield up your only option is to dj out of there or be shield grabbed, and now you're just above them without a double jump...
I'd so much rather just get grabbed than risk getting *****. Besides, Falco's throws suck anyways.

Is that a yes? because I've only seen it like 3 times and 3/3 successful attempts made by a pro level player doesn't mean its necessarily a good habit/thing to pick up.

The angle is really good for an edgeguard, so that was an affirmative.

And that allows you to react quickly from a neutral position onstage.

Method #:

1: Shield -> C-stick up -> Down+B

2: Shield -> D-stick up -> Down+B

3: Shield -> Y/X -> Down+B

Which way is best?

None. Everything is based on preference and how comfortable you are.

I personally use method #1.
I'm starting to prefer method #3 currently since it's so similar to multishining.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One

While holding down the shield, you jump-whether it be up, x, y-and then shine immediately. As falco you can easily stop pressure and then start a combo from the shine.

Yes that Zhu thing is pretty good but its not end all be all of course. Its just an edgeguard. Its good because while running to the edge you can turn around while still having momentum. and its pretty fast.

+sexy lookin.
He's really good, that's why I was asking :x
Lol, I cant really attest to his skill level, nor can I attest to yours. I dont know what really good actually means on a comparative scale.

I wouldnt rely on it. There are other methods that are better.

AvengerAngel

Smash Journeyman
Well, he's probably Zhu-Shiz level, so he's actually REALLY good xP

Of course I wouldn't rely on spot dodges only, but it looks like they could work from time to time

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
I'd so much rather just get grabbed than risk getting *****. Besides, Falco's throws suck anyways.
Because grabs don't lead to **** or tech chases or anything like that.

Falco has great throws, you just don't know how to use them.

Every attack for Falco is viable.

S l o X

Smash Champion
Ah I guess I thought the cstick method was completely different. Thanks guys.

Oh and Calle W is more so Zhu-Shiz level than Aldwyn, I'd say...but he definitely doesn't disappoint and I haven't seen many matches of him.
-
Falco grabs = ****. Just watch Mango play and look at his use for grabs.

bolt.

Smash Ace
Is there anything on the falco boards on when to use a certain kind of shield pressure? I usually do shine dair, but I need to mix it up and was wondering when the best times to do certain types of shield pressure were if there are any.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
do your shine dair. they will either escape, attempt to escape and get hit, or get shield poked/broken.

remember what they did last time and use moves to counter their escape plan.

for example, you dair shine dair, but they shield grab before your last dair comes out.

so next time do something that beats a shield grab.

like dair shine fast nair DI away fsmash (aka the mango)

mixing it up isn't about being unpredictable as much as its about thinking about what you're doing and not mindlessly spamming the same thing.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
What beats dairshine -> retreating nair?

nothing. but it also doesnt garuntee a follow up. if you do it and they arent baited into grabbing, and instead just wd back oos and escape then you've lost your advantage (pressuring their sheild). I do this ALL the time when they are sheilding on the edge though. its the best way to avoid getting sheildgrabbed->back throw->gimp.

unless they are marth, know you're going to do it, and WD oos in place to Fsmash. that would be pretty awesome on their part.

X1-12

Smash Champion
how often/when should you jab between the spike and a shine in shinespike combos? i used to never do it and now i do it almost all the time but i heard it means they can SDI out of it if you jab

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
I jab a lot, but I don't think it's typically a good idea.

spacing it on shields is ok and using it to reset has it's places, but meh... I think you can almost always do better.

oh yea, and sometimes I try to jab -> usmash to kill Jiggs/Peach in the 100-120ish area.

but if you're talking strictly about mid-combo uses... I'd say only use it to reset at super close distance (further away, laser reset is jawesome).

Top Bottom