• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Falco Q&A

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
yea, I'll upload RaynEX Runs Train on Mogwai pt 1-2.

but I'm also going to upload Mogwai starts coming back before Pakman pulls the plug and ruins everything :p.
I won that 2nd money match and owned both of you.

<p style="font-size:4pt;" >sorry again</p>

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Mogwai, I know you're only "almost-gay" but would you be willing to assist my efforts in pouring warm honey down Cactuar's pants at Pound? You don't have to help with the clean-up or anything.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
**** that's some **** advice

hopefully rubyiris will TAKE IT FOR ONCE

and not be like "NO WHAT I DO IS RIGHT AND MY TECH SKILL IS THE ONLY THING WRONG WITH ME"

falco sucks
I find it insulting that you're still calling me out on this, when I stopped months, and months ago.

And my techskill sucks lol, but whatever. People just set the bar way too low.

Just because I can do alot of things, doesn't mean I'm consistent, and therefore my techskill sucks.

@Mogwai

I know I should change up my shield pressure, but it's REALLY hard to remember this in-game. Especially since most of my shield pressure is automatic, it's REALLY hard to attempt to consciously fix this, and I usually end up cursing myself when I try.

As for getting shield grabbed, it's mostly because I have problems l-canceling against shield, and there's nothing I can really do about that except play more, and I don't really get to play more than like twice a month at the moment.

I made a thread a while ago about having problems with the mental aspect of the game, and these videos show alot of it, and you pointed alot of it out.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
yea, I'll upload RaynEX Runs Train on Mogwai pt 1-2.

but I'm also going to upload Mogwai starts coming back before Pakman pulls the plug and ruins everything :p.
You probably would have taken that match. The drive you found set 2 was quickly stolen by Pakman. Stupid floaties stealing our combo dreams and our momentum.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
I find it insulting that you're still calling me out on this, when I stopped months, and months ago.

And my techskill sucks lol, but whatever. People just set the bar way too low.

Just because I can do alot of things, doesn't mean I'm consistent, and therefore my techskill sucks.

@Mogwai

I know I should change up my shield pressure, but it's REALLY hard to remember this in-game. Especially since most of my shield pressure is automatic, it's REALLY hard to attempt to consciously fix this, and I usually end up cursing myself when I try.

As for getting shield grabbed, it's mostly because I have problems l-canceling against shield, and there's nothing I can really do about that except play more, and I don't really get to play more than like twice a month at the moment.

I made a thread a while ago about having problems with the mental aspect of the game, and these videos show alot of it, and you pointed alot of it out.
bowser, 0.5 damage ratio, max handicap for him. just practice doing different shield pressure mixups so that you have the muscle memory for it in game when it seems appropriate.

and a number of the times you got grabbed out of shield pressure, it was a couple shines into your pressure and he just grabbed you because it was predictable. and standard pillar always leaves you open for grab at some point.

aquanesia

Smash Cadet
hey I have a bunch of newb questions, soorrry. Appreciate any help given. especially sorry if these are answered in easily found places.

Is the combo counter in training mode a reliable way to tell if you l-canceled your nair if you shine after it?
What are the mechanics behind sweetspotting? Sometimes it seems like I should be sweetspotting when I just end up serenely rocketing against the ledge to death.

Is the reason nair/dair to shine combo at lower percents cause it's really hard to tech? What about comboing with multiple dairs to shines repeatedly? Is that very good for your aspiring pool player?

Is there any trick to shine to dair or does it just require very fast hands?

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
hey I have a bunch of newb questions, soorrry. Appreciate any help given. especially sorry if these are answered in easily found places.

Is the combo counter in training mode a reliable way to tell if you l-canceled your nair if you shine after it?
What are the mechanics behind sweetspotting? Sometimes it seems like I should be sweetspotting when I just end up serenely rocketing against the ledge to death.

Is the reason nair/dair to shine combo at lower percents cause it's really hard to tech? What about comboing with multiple dairs to shines repeatedly? Is that very good for your aspiring pool player?

The combo counter will only tell you if you did two consecutive hits that were inescapable. You pretty much can tell that you l canceled if the shine comes out just after you land without a noticeable delay.

Sweet is pretty easy. For firebird, you have to judge the distance from where you up B to the ledge. It should be the same length as falcos firebird. Some stages you can aim for slightly below the ledge and you will ride up the wall a bit.

For side B the distance thing is the same but its a little more difficult to aim the side B perfectly at ledge height. Also if you are just a little off you may still grab but it wont be a sweet spot. My advice is aim a bit higher if you just arent grabbing the ledge(make sure you are not holding away or down).

You usually dair shine to combo because it combos. nair shine is really really good for shield pressure. Dair shining is hard to tech and usually has to be DIed out of reach.

Ocho(*8*)

Smash Ace
Hey, with falco if I just had to get across the stage as fast as possible would it be faster to run or use side-b? Also, does side-b have any less lag if you use it slightly off the ground as opposed to grounded?

Its cuz the other day I was fighting fox and he firefoxed over me towards the center of the stage and I ran after him and barely didn't get there...

JPOBS

Smash Hero
the Side B is faster if you happen to be on platforms such as Pokestadium or Battlefield and can ledge cancel it

if you have to do it on the ground, running is probbaly faster do side-B's startup and ending lag.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
firefox has almost no lag when landing. sideb has quite a bit of lag. idk if there is any difference between grounded and aerial lag, though i know you get more distance from aerial.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
the landing lag is the same from grounded and aerial until the point where you regain control of Falco after the side B (you have to be pretty high up for this, but you notice it if you recover really high and then DI somewhere and land, you don't have the same 20 frame landing lag as when you do it close to the gound).

Ben-Teezee

Smash Apprentice

sweetspotting with falco is all about where u start your recovery move.

firebird- its actually pretty dumb to try to sweetspot this move at sweetspot range because of its long start up lag, most ppl will just take the ledge, also because of its extremely specific range for sweetspot u will probably end up stalling against the wall for a millisecond anyways b4 u grab edge and consequently get hit or edge-hogged. however the secret to firebirds usefulness is that it will ALWAYS 100% of the time sweetspot if u are moving at a downwards angle. so your best bet (but the most usually predicted) is to start diagonally above the ledge and then fly at an angle down towards the ledge. this way whenever u hit the ledge u will auto-sweetspot.

phantasm- the phantasm actually never sweetspots even if ur at the exact height needed unless you are at max distance away from the edge (this is using sweetspot as a means of saying u grab the edge without getting hit) so as to grab the edge with falco magnetizing to the edge from a lil away than from ramming into it with phantasm. the best way to sweetspot the phantasm therefore without commiting suicide is to learn how to do the different shortens for the phantasm. this way u stop b4 u ram into the ledge and are able to magnet to the ledge and thus achieve a sweetspot.

sweetspotting is important if u want to live but its almost as important as mixing up your recovery, keep your opponent guessing and falco is very difficult to edgeguard. be predictable and ull see urself getting 3-4 stocked by any gimpy char because the ease of punishing falco's recovery.

hope this helps some ppl not just the guy who asked.

also p.s. the reason dair to shine combos at low% is because dair does not knockdown your opponent at low percents therefore they have no way of teching. the dair just gives them a decent bit of hitstun which allows you to follow up with shine. some things that i tell ppl when theyre trying to learn to shine dair is to remember that the shine knocks the person away from u 98% of the time, it will not knock them through u, so instead of jumping out of your shine, wavedash towards where they should be going, and then jump dair them for a much easier dair shine and the option of using different moves at will.

Devil Ray

Smash Lord
i gave up falco back in late '08, but now i'm considering using him again. i still think he's only 3rd on the tier list, but the potential for being a "smart" player is a lot higher in the present day.

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
I'm 100% convinced that Falco is #1 in singles.
AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGHHHHHHH

that's my way of requesting an aim argument that lasts until you're not dumb anymore.
lmfao @ my own post

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
my reaction was a bit exaggerated but i really don't see it.
ha i don't want to ruin this thread with tier arguments.

moving on.
my friend makes falco's grab game seem better than i thought it was against my fox.
he gets away with some interesting things that i couldn't predict.
(i never expect falco to grab me in the first place)

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
the landing lag is the same from grounded and aerial until the point where you regain control of Falco after the side B (you have to be pretty high up for this, but you notice it if you recover really high and then DI somewhere and land, you don't have the same 20 frame landing lag as when you do it close to the gound).
Isnt just having to be in the falling animation, ie where falco flashes as he falls because he cannot go on any further, really just has to wait till he lands?

T-Cash

Smash Apprentice
i need help with my wave shining can someone explain timing to me when i wave dash he always shoots the laser and never seems to shine

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
you didnt hold the control stick far enough in the down direction to activate the shine.

Practice hitting down B first. Then learn to Waveshine.

AvengerAngel

Smash Journeyman
Does spot dodge > shine work as a counter for pillar? I know shield shining is good, but I was wondering if that works as well and what's the best way to counter a spot dodge. I've been playing with a friend of mine who's really good at shield shining, therefore I couldn't pillar his shield. I started using lots of grabs to avoid this and at first it was working wonders, but then he noticed it and he started to punish me using spot dodge > shine and stopping my approaches with lasers out of shield (wtf).
So... what's the best way to deal with good timed spot dodges during pillar/when approaching with a grab and to punish SHL when at close range? Are Fsmash/Dash attack useful? :O

JPOBS

Smash Hero
mixups are key.

shl out of sheild is slow, if you think he's going to do that, use your own laser to cut him off and since you have momentum punich him.

if you manage to get in on him and expect a shine OoS, pillar then shine grab. or double shine i think beats it too.

you expect a spot dodge to shine, then pillar once, but on the second one, do a retreating nair, and when he spot dodges, fsmash him in the face.

he always has options vs pillar, pillar isnt perfect, the key is to make him afraid to do any of them by showing him that you have counters to his counters. mixups will keep him guessing, and you can pressure him more effectively once he knows he cant rely on the same old trick.

AvengerAngel

Smash Journeyman
Uhm, one thing I should add to my gameplay is retreating Nair/Dair during pillar, thanks :D

I dunno about multishines. Sometimes I managed to shine him, some other times I got shined x(
I think they work quite well against shines OoS but they get screwed up by spot dodge > shine unless you can do 5-6 almost frame perfect >_>

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
You prob wont be able to spot dodge a dair and a shine soooo

That pretty much makes it a bad Idea if they are pillaring.

If they aerial early and you can dodge b4 they hit the ground you prob can shine.

but shine oos is most reliable.

AvengerAngel

Smash Journeyman
Nope, spot dodge works pretty well on standard pillar (Dair > shine), I'm pretty sure of this
You just need very good timing xP

But yeah, shine OoS is better of course

Top Bottom