• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falco+ ~Hands Off My Prey!~ Under Construction! Upgrading to 7.0

Nybb

Smash Journeyman
hahahaha, that would just look weird, what with Falco's shine blinking out of existence and not returning to his hand upon JCing. But it's a fun concept either way...just not necessarily one I'd want to see implemented, if only due to the mostly likely glitchy-looking animation :psycho:.

Also I believe it's x1.5 speedup on return.

At this rate though, we're gonna turn that **** shine into a swiss army knife. Next we're going to see someone requesting the shine shooting lasers, activating Falco's Final Smash, and playing this during the duration of the move.

...Hum....that last one would give me reason to spam the shine I guess...>_>.
Personally I think JC'ing it would be super awesome, and way more useful than the double-hitbox thing. Although it would probably be so awesome as to be broken. Imagine, you are pulling them towards you while they are in hitstun and you are in a jump state. You could do things like shine > jump cancel > JC usmash. Or imagine, Falco jumps backwards off of a stage, shines just as he is at stage height, pulling the opponent off the stage towards him, then he JCs the shine with his doublejump and dair spikes the opponent. :lick:

Also, I think I like this one better.

Dan_X

Smash Lord
Alright, I think I have a working version of the lasers fully made (not positive). Could one of you hop on the IRC and test?
I wish I was around when you posted this. I would love to test it! Thunderhorse, did you end up testing it? Did it work properly? Any comments?

@Glick, yeah, I agree. Once a Falco mastered SHDL it made too many matchup EZ-Mode. His laser game was too straight forward. Why would you SHSL when you can SHDL (pre changes)? Either way, I agree that Melee lasers are the way to go. Falco's laser game will be enriched, take more skill, and will provide a good Falco with a higher fidelity of control.

@Shanus, that JC Shine upon hit sounds so cool! I'd love to see what that's like! It'd be pretty punishable upon miss, or shieldhit, so I can see that as a huge balancing factor... So long as the lag is restored to 100% upon miss. Is it possible we could toy with this in the next build?

@others: I agree that Falco should recieve some nerfs for tweaking his shine, but nothing ridiculous. A perfectly suitable tweak could be nerfing his illusion slightly so that it's a tad bit easier to knock him out of it. I am strongly against any nerf aside from his illusion, as with the ledge changes, such as smaller grabbing range and no auto sweet side-Bs, Falco's recovery game is going to be hit hard (well maybe not too hard... But it will definately be a nerf). There's no reason to change and nerf something as trivial as his jab game. Heck, call me crazy but his good jab game gives him reason to stop pew pew pewing and get close once in a while. He needs some sort of counter to characers who combo him, a fast faller, hard. Oftentimes this "counter" is his jab game be Jase it is his only close range perk that can keep the enemy at bay. This is very important in making it difficult for characters to start a combo by getting close to you. I strongly believe that nerfing his jab game would be terrible for Falco, furthermore, doing so would probably more strongly encourage camping as close encounters are far more dangerous.

P.S. Sorry for any blatant spelling errors and typos... I typed this message via my iTouch, and it's really easy for what you type to get jumbled because you can't see everything you write on screen at once.

Marufuji Ryo

Smash Apprentice
I religiously play Falco on melee, I don't know about you but I am pretty excited about melee style Lazers

shanus

Smash Hero
making it work has proven more challenging than anticipated.

Dan_X

Smash Lord
making it work has proven more challenging than anticipated.
hmmm. I really hope we can figure it out!

Anyway, I just took a nice long warm shower, and as such, found it the perfect time to go into deep thought about the potential reworkings of Falco's shine. So Shanus, you mentioned a unique idea regarding a JC shine. Here's how I understand that this would work.

JC Shine:

If you successfully land the shine on the enemy they are pulled in (as always), the end frames are reduced so you can follow up (as always) and you have the added option to JC your shine, mixing up the shine game quite a bit. If however you miss the Shine, or hit the enemy's shield, then your VERY punishable as your endlag is no longer the sped up version that we all know, but the original endlag of the unaltered vBrawl shine. This means that you're very susceptible to attack if you miss.

This is very interesting, in that, despite adding options, it actually seems to further balance the shine to a very fine degree. It will make using the shine a ton more technical, and a lot more risky. It'll take more skill to utilize the shine efficiently as on the occasion that you become too predictable, and the enemy reads an incoming shine, you're going to have to pay, dearly.

*Note: It might be a good idea to make the shine come out as fast as it did in vBrawl, 2 frames earlier (if I'm not mistaken) as it'll be a ton more difficult to land and get away with effectively. So long as it's not spammable a speed up won't be a problem, and, as I've mentioned, spamming this JC shine would = death.

Current Shine:

Due to the sped up ending animation/frames, the move is now fairly difficult to punish. However, a speed up at the end is very much necessary as without it the fact that the shine pulls in would be useless as the endlag would persist as the enemy passes overhead, as such you wouldn't be able to follow up at all. This means that without a speedup at the end, the fact that the shine pulls the enemy in would mean nothing at all.

The thing is, as awesome as this shine is, it's safe to say that in comparison to the JC Shine idea it's EZ-Mode. You can spam the shine all day, not worrying if the shine actually connects with the enemy or not on the basis that the ending animation is so fast that you can avoid punishment in most if not all cases.

Conclusion:

I strongly think that we should try a JC shine in the next beta, to see how it plays out in practice. JC Shine would promote a higher level of play, more technical skill, and more mindgames to use efficiently, but it may be worth it. It's FAR more punishable than the current shine, and no where near as EZ-Mode spammable.

Shanus: Please correct me if my understanding of the JC Shine is off or inconsistent. At the very least, if I did misunderstand what Shanus said, I think the JC Shine would be best implemented in the fashion I mentioned.

What do you guys think? Also, Shanis, what do you think of the comparison?

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
I've gotta admit... jcshine on hit sounds pretty sweet, and would definitely make the move more interesting.

Anyway, this is a post by another WBR member (who I won't disclose unless they want me to) talking about some possible falco changes. It doesn't include any shine stuff atm, but I was wondering what some of you thought of it.

New gravity allows for faster vertical movement and SHFFL'd attacks at the cost of recovery power.

U-tilt would be IASA straight into jump on 22ish, but would otherwise wait until 37 for all other actions. I'll have to actually test that 22 value, this is a rough guess.

Now the dair currently spikes 5-7, flubs 8-21. Replace the flub with a meteor with the same BKB as the strong hit, but very low growth.

Additionally, raise the angle of D-throw and raise its base -- we want to remove his D-throw-Jab-D-throw CG on heavies, a strategy that skewed an already favorable matchup. Hopefully it will preserve DACUS followups.

Just to update the changelist:

*Neutral / Tweak
+ Buff
- Nerf

(*) SHL @ current 2% Damage

(+) Higher Grav for better aerial movement, faster SHFFL'd attacks
(+) U-tilt IASA into Jump on 22, otherwise vBrawl 36 for anything
(+) Dair flub becomes meteor with extremely low growth (think Lucas Dair)

(-) Illusion moves slower at beginning to discourage fleeing the camp-site / slightly nerf recovery
(-) Gravity hurts recovery
(-) Remove D-throw/Jab/D-throw CG

Overall, the SHL and tweak Illusion will still certainly allow for camping, but won't be as effective as before especially against tall characters over short characters. Furthermore, the loss of the CG also helps to smooth out these matchups.

The illusion and gravity settings should worsen his recovery, obviously.

Finally, we promote offensive action via the introduction of a psuedo/situational-pillar crafted from U-tilt and weak Dair and the better approach options provided by SHL.

It's difficult to predict how effective that will all turn out, but if he needs nerfs, I'd suggest either setting Illusion landing lag to 0.80x or trimming away damage on a few moves, or putting a charge-timer on Lazorz akin to Bowser's Flame Breath.

Rudra

Smash Ace
Wow, thats quite a bit to think about.

U-tilt would be IASA straight into jump on 22ish, but would otherwise wait until 37 for all other actions. I'll have to actually test that 22 value, this is a rough guess.
This sounds fine. It'd prevent Utilt>Utilt combos I guess. This alone would also be a form of damage reduction imo since he may not be able to Utilt>Utilt>Aerial.

Additionally, raise the angle of D-throw and raise its base -- we want to remove his D-throw-Jab-D-throw CG on heavies, a strategy that skewed an already favorable matchup. Hopefully it will preserve DACUS followups.
So even adding a little more hitlag wouldnt make it easier to escape the Jab>Regrab for heavies? Also, while it may not affect DACUS followups at low percents, I wonder if it will continue to be a possible kill option on lighter characters at higher %?

Dair flub becomes meteor with extremely low growth (think Lucas Dair)
I really dont know about this. Spiking with Falco required skill in that the sweetspot was the only way to do it. Its not really something I'm personally against or anything, but I always thought his Dair was fine. (btw, will the Meteor Cancel still be tweaked to be a bit more difficult?)

Illusion moves slower at beginning to discourage fleeing the camp-site / slightly nerf recovery
Wow, Falco's recovery was already pretty bad, now with no ASL for the Phantasm, it'll be easier to interrupt it with an onstage edgeguard too. I'd rather have more vulnerability during the move than having it slowed down.

I'd suggest either setting Illusion landing lag to 0.80x or trimming away damage on a few moves, or putting a charge-timer on Lazorz akin to Bowser's Flame Breath.
Illusion Land lag I can agree with if it cant be made more vulnerable during the move. I'd rather have afterlag from using it than having it slowed.

If it comes down to having his damage output trimmed down a bit, what moves would be reduced?

Finally, a charge timer? Really? =/

I wouldnt mind testing those changes, but I dont feel like some of those things(most notably Dair) are all that necessary...

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
Perhaps you didn't notice the bit about extremely low KB growth on the dair -- if you're a Lucas player, you might understand that the uber low KB dair is useful for combos, but an exceptionally situational (read: terrible) spike.

For all intents and purposes on the majority of the cast, if you want to spike them off the edge, the new Falco weak Dair would still be a flub. I mean, you can MC the strong hit surprisingly easy even at 80-100%.

Don't dwell too much on the last bit, that was just brainstorming in case it's imbalanced. And for now, don't assume that ASL will be fixed up -- it'd be really nice, but no one's actively working on it.

I'll have a prototype of those changes together here sometime in the next day or so.

Rudra

Smash Ace
Okay, if the spike's that weak, I guess it wouldnt be so bad. (Never fought/used Lucas, so I've only really seen his Bair Spike) I really hope something can be done about the meteor cancel's difficulty level though. It shouldnt be so easy to do it at mid/high percentages.

bob-e

Smash Journeyman
Sounds fine, it's always nice to see ******** up tilt -> up tilt -> up tilt combos go

Now the dair currently spikes 5-7, flubs 8-21. Replace the flub with a meteor with the same BKB as the strong hit, but very low growth.
DO WANT

Sounds good. It removes a gay strategy, and f-throw should still set up into either reflector or a tech chase.

(-) Illusion moves slower at beginning to discourage fleeing the camp-site / slightly nerf recovery
This really worries me. Falco already falls like a rock, gets comboed super easily, and has a predictable recovery. By themselves, I think these nerfs would be fare. But if some of the stuff that's been discussed in the nightly build thread goes through (no auto sweet spot on side b, smaller ledge snap range), it could combine to make Falco's recovery horrible, like...Olimar horrible. And with a character who can gets comboed off stage so quickly, it would be downright devastating.

If the changes would make Falco die as quickly as I'm imagining, I'd be even more inclined to camp than I am now.

Of course I'd really would need to play with the changes to get a real opinion on it.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
Actually, the grav doesn't really hurt his recovery at all. All I did for the new physics was put all dgrav into fgrav. He should actually fall slightly slower with the current setting (I'd have to use PSA to get it exactly like it was before), although he'll reach the peak of his jumps faster.

Thunderhorse+

Smash Ace
I wish I was around when you posted this. I would love to test it! Thunderhorse, did you end up testing it? Did it work properly? Any comments?
I did in fact end up testing it, or at least the initial demonstrations of it. However, as you could infer, it didn't work completely properly. The first and most obviously glaring issue was that Falco had the lasers coming out of his eyes instead of his gun lol. That was quickly fixed, however a bit later on, the blaster shots were a bit out of sync again, though in the last incarnation I tried out, it was fixed.

Anywho, I was mainly focused on trying to get it to work, but the first incarnation was extremely impossible. The 2nd one I actually performed it a few times, however correctly doing so resulted in Falco 'warping' to the ground and firing a grounded laser. The rest of the incarnations had it mechanically functioning at least, which was what I was immediately concerned about over anything else. The latest one I tried even had a fire explosion/spark cues indicating when to FF. However, in a small oversight....the effects...well...they covered the entire screen :laugh:. I was joking around to keep them in, cause it looked hilarious, but I read some other people were interested in keeping it in as well. I had to laugh.

Anyway, that belied a utility problem. Though I didn't have time to point this out in my initial test runs, while I could FF the lasers at the right time, the laser blast would not follow the gunshot, resulting in the lasers simply going over the heads of most opponents. Checking the IRC logs, it appears I wasn't the only one experiencing this. However, before I got to mention it, I had guests over and was unable to voice that concern or to try it further.

I suppose shanus' most recent post means they're still having some issues with it.

In regards to the proposed changes, I would be very willing to try them out, the dair and physics changes exciting me the most, and the IASA frames on the utilt exciting me a bit less so than the others (come on guys, we just got the utilt to look non-ridiculous after we changed it to 1.5x speedup over 2x. IASA frames IMO generally make animations look very choppy and unnatural...at least it won't look as wonky as JC shines though, no matter the usefulness of either).

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
It is mostly functional as of the 27th iteration, completed at 11:30 this evening. The FF window has been mostly fixed up, the lasers hit Squirtle, the debug-explosion effects removed, and the momentum bugs ironed out. We'll put a test version up when it's ready.

Dan_X

Smash Lord
Okay, now for my input. I'm warning you, I'll have some lame questions as there are some things I'm simply not too familiar with.

New gravity allows for faster vertical movement and SHFFL'd attacks at the cost of recovery power.
I like the idea of faster vertical movement, as quick SHFFL's would be great. I don't mind if it affects his recovery, so long as it doesn't wreck it. Once the ledges have been fixed, I feel Falco's recovery game will be in a dangerous place. We have to act carefully to preserve his illusion, at least enough for it to be a dependable recovery.

IASA is one thing I'm not entirely familiar with. I looked it up and found that it stands for "Interruptible As Soon As Frames..." I'd assume that then means at the determined frame, the move can be canceled. So, if I am reading this correctly, his Utilt will be cancellable into a jump upon frame 22? If that's the case, that's a pretty cool idea, as it would negate Utilt spam, by way of other options. For example, you'd be able to cancel the Utilt on say, frame 22, into a jump then an aerial? Is that right?

I don't know what a flub hit is. Also, I'm unfamiliar with Lucas so I don't really know how his dair works. What would this change mean for Falco's Dair? Would it be comboable? Would it still spike? I'm sorry, but can this be explained a tad bit more vividly. :D

I'm fine with removing this, as it's overkill for Heavies. I'd like to preserve the Dacus followups, if possible, however.

Just to update the changelist:

*Neutral / Tweak
+ Buff
- Nerf

(*) SHL @ current 2% Damage

(+) Higher Grav for better aerial movement, faster SHFFL'd attacks
(+) U-tilt IASA into Jump on 22, otherwise vBrawl 36 for anything
(+) Dair flub becomes meteor with extremely low growth (think Lucas Dair)

(-) Remove D-throw/Jab/D-throw CG
With all of the changes in the distant to near future of Brawl+ pertaining the ledge game, the last thing Falco needs is to literally move SLOWER during the illusion. I think having a slightly more leniant window whereby to knock him out of the phantasm is fine, but to actually move more slowly is entirely nonsensical. It'll be difficult enough to recover when the edges don't auto sweetspot, and when the window is more lenient.

Overall, the SHL and tweak Illusion will still certainly allow for camping, but won't be as effective as before especially against tall characters over short characters. Furthermore, the loss of the CG also helps to smooth out these matchups.

The illusion and gravity settings should worsen his recovery, obviously.
I'd absolutely love to have quicker vertical movement, thus allowing for nice speedy SHFFLS, however, I really hope it doesn't effect his recover much.

Finally, we promote offensive action via the introduction of a psuedo/situational-pillar crafted from U-tilt and weak Dair and the better approach options provided by SHL.

It's difficult to predict how effective that will all turn out, but if he needs nerfs, I'd suggest either setting Illusion landing lag to 0.80x or trimming away damage on a few moves, or putting a charge-timer on Lazorz akin to Bowser's Flame Breath.
A charge time on lasers? Eww. No way.

I'd love to see, in addition to any of the above changes, a JC Shine, as described in my previous post. Oh yeah, if the JC Shine connects with, and reflects projectiles, that should count as the fast, cancellable version as opposed to the lag you'd experience on a miss or shield hit. I'm actually afraid that a JC Shine would be too much of a nerf to the current shine... As it is, the current shine is spammable and safe. A JC Shine would be risky, but rewarding upon hit. Either way, I'd love to experiment with a JC Shine. The fact that it would take more skill, wouldn't be an EZ-Mode shine, and has more depth, is probably more than worth it. As I pointed out, seeing as how it's so much more punishable, and we all know it's easy enough to block a shine, the shine should start as fast as it did in vBrawl, which, if I'm not mistaken, is 2 or so frames faster.

It is mostly functional as of the 27th iteration, completed at 11:30 this evening. The FF window has been mostly fixed up, the lasers hit Squirtle, the debug-explosion effects removed, and the momentum bugs ironed out. We'll put a test version up when it's ready.
I'm pretty happy to hear that. Namely the part about hitting Squirtle. lol.

timothyung

Smash Ace
Flub hit means a non-sweetspot hit. In Falco's dair, it's the hitbox after the spike hitbox, which sends upwards. It will become a meteor after the change, which means you don't have to hit with the initial part of the move in order to spike.

Thunderhorse+

Smash Ace
To answer Orca's terms questions about terms:

1). you're pretty much spot on for the definition of IASA frames.

2). Flub hits are the opposite of sweetspot hits. Most of the time (though there are a very small number of exceptions, but usually it will follow this general rule) the sweetspot hit is the 'strong' hit of a move; the flub hit, then, is the 'weak' hit. There are two types of sweetspot/flubs: those based on time (most sex kicks, Zelda's f/bair, Captain Falcon's knee - the latter two in particular have easy to recognize sweetspot hits, that is those parts of the move where they electrocute and kill the opponent. The flub hit is the rest of the move), and those based on positioning (Marth's and Ike's swords).

In this case, the dair is one of the former timer-based sweetspots: the sweetspot is obviously the meteor smash that we all know, love, and used to combo our chaingrabs into in vBrawl. The flub hit for Falco's dair is the hit that smacks the opponent away, rather than down.

Hope that helps a little bit. I think you can piece the rest of it together yourself.

Dan_X

Smash Lord
To answer Orca's terms questions about terms:

1). you're pretty much spot on for the definition of IASA frames.

2). Flub hits are the opposite of sweetspot hits. Most of the time (though there are a very small number of exceptions, but usually it will follow this general rule) the sweetspot hit is the 'strong' hit of a move; the flub hit, then, is the 'weak' hit. There are two types of sweetspot/flubs: those based on time (most sex kicks, Zelda's f/bair, Captain Falcon's knee - the latter two in particular have easy to recognize sweetspot hits, that is those parts of the move where they electrocute and kill the opponent. The flub hit is the rest of the move), and those based on positioning (Marth's and Ike's swords).

In this case, the dair is one of the former timer-based sweetspots: the sweetspot is obviously the meteor smash that we all know, love, and used to combo our chaingrabs into in vBrawl. The flub hit for Falco's dair is the hit that smacks the opponent away, rather than down.

Hope that helps a little bit. I think you can piece the rest of it together yourself.
thanks very much for the detailed response! I get it now. ;)

I'd like to try out this dair change!!!

@timo thanks for your response as well!

shanus

Smash Hero
Yeah after 27 iterations, it mostly works, just needs polishing up heh

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
I just want to remind you guys, Melee Falco had much harsher gravity, a much worse side-B, and no side-B auto-snap, and he was still easily top tier. Granted, they are very different characters, but just keep in mind that a ****ty recovery is not a death sentence.

The Cape

Smash Master
If we do this D throw change what do you all think of possibly adjusting the angle backwards a bit more on his U throw? When the lasers hit they push the opponent more forward and will therefore setup the opponent a bit more in front of falco instead of how far in front it does now. I was running some tests with it a month or so ago, but it might be something worth considering. It gives him a decent throw to use for an attempted uair followup.

Nybb

Smash Journeyman
I just want to remind you guys, Melee Falco had much harsher gravity, a much worse side-B, and no side-B auto-snap, and he was still easily top tier. Granted, they are very different characters, but just keep in mind that a ****ty recovery is not a death sentence.
Yes, Melee Falco had a worse recovery, but so did everybody else in Melee. He also had his "LOL I SPIEK U" dair, a better nair, and a better shine that could actually outprioritize literally everything else in the game if used perfectly. And that harsher gravity also served to bolster his combo game.

Dan_X

Smash Lord
If we do this D throw change what do you all think of possibly adjusting the angle backwards a bit more on his U throw? When the lasers hit they push the opponent more forward and will therefore setup the opponent a bit more in front of falco instead of how far in front it does now. I was running some tests with it a month or so ago, but it might be something worth considering. It gives him a decent throw to use for an attempted uair followup.
I'm fine with you giving a throw aside from Falco's usual D-throw utility. As it is now, I almost never use a throw other than D-throw as following up his other throws in any way is generally a joke.

God, I can't wait to try all of the mentioned changes: JC Shine, SHL SHFFLs (with FFable DIable lasers), the Utilt with IASA frames, D-air with no flubb and weak growth, an altered D-throw with tweak that removes jab reset grab combos (which greatly hurts heavies), and perhaps a U-throw that can actually be followed up. I'm also fine with his recover bring nerfed, namely, as many have said, making Falco more vulnerable during the illusion.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
I'm fine with you giving a throw aside from Falco's usual D-throw utility. As it is now, I almost never use a throw other than D-throw as following up his other throws in any way is generally a joke.

God, I can't wait to try all of the mentioned changes: JC Shine, SHL SHFFLs (with FFable DIable lasers), the Utilt with IASA frames, D-air with no flubb and weak growth, an altered D-throw with tweak that removes jab reset grab combos (which greatly hurts heavies), and perhaps a U-throw that can actually be followed up. I'm also fine with his recover bring nerfed, namely, as many have said, making Falco more vulnerable during the illusion.
Just wanted to note that there'd still be a flub hit on dair, it's just that it would now be useful, acting as a weaker version of the first hit instead of being a completely different move. This flub hit would be useful for continuing combos at mid-high percents, perhaps even being able to combo into it from a dthrow (although you always have the dacus anyway, so perhaps that wouldn't be quite so useful). Basically, it'd be used for grounding a foe around sh height and then leading into something else.

Dan_X

Smash Lord
Just wanted to note that there'd still be a flub hit on dair, it's just that it would now be useful, acting as a weaker version of the first hit instead of being a completely different move. This flub hit would be useful for continuing combos at mid-high percents, perhaps even being able to combo into it from a dthrow (although you always have the dacus anyway, so perhaps that wouldn't be quite so useful). Basically, it'd be used for grounding a foe around sh height and then leading into something else.
Oooh okay! Thanks for the clarification, as always, Leaf!

Nybb

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure why this hasn't been posted here yet. It was only put in the Nightly thread for some reason. I gotta say, I'm pretty stoked to see Falco have his lasers back.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
I'm not sure why this hasn't been posted here yet. It was only put in the Nightly thread for some reason. I gotta say, I'm pretty stoked to see Falco have his lasers back.
****... I don't know... I feel kinda dissapointed about this. Well, at least Falco will take more skill to use, but I liked SHDL.

Marufuji Ryo

Smash Apprentice
Looks harder to do than on melee (maybe its because I haven't played in a long time xd) X_X.

shanus

Smash Hero
My 34th generation (more like 50 lol) finally got it working well :-)

It is harder than melee, but after a bit of practice, very manageable.

Dan_X

Smash Lord
My 34th generation (more like 50 lol) finally got it working well :-)

It is harder than melee, but after a bit of practice, very manageable.
Shanus, thank you so much for the effort you're putting in to get this to work! I feel bad there's nothing I can do to help, I know nothing about PSA, and stuff like that.

I can't wait! ;)

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
if melee lasers will permit laser to grab this will **** so hard
Well, I know laser -> jab is legit. Jab comes out frame 4 iirc, and I know most grabs come out frame 6 (although falco's may be later... dunno). So... at worst, it should be 2 frames away from being a true combo, meaning you'll only get beat out by 1 frame jabs or invincibility, since most spotdodges start invinc frame 3 iirc. So at the least, it's a good string that's probably unavoidable for some chars.

Thunderhorse+

Smash Ace
I thought Falco's jab comes out on frame 2, and most grabs come out on frame 5.

I'm not a frame expert though, but I'll take your word for it. Though I have heard multiple sources cite Falco's jab being 2 frames (supposedly tested against Peach's 2 frame jab).

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
I thought Falco's jab comes out on frame 2, and most grabs come out on frame 5.

I'm not a frame expert though, but I'll take your word for it. Though I have heard multiple sources cite Falco's jab being 2 frames (supposedly tested against Peach's 2 frame jab).
Well, in that case, I'm probably wrong about falco's jab.

That means laser -> grab could be anywhere between an easily escapable string and a combo. Probably somewhere in the middle.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
So why don't you just laser > jab > grab?

Like when I play Falcon, first hit Nair can combo into a grab or jab, so I go for Nair, jab, grab for that extra few percent.
Same logic applies to when I play DDD; Nair combos into jab and grab, so I do Nair jab grab when I want to grab from Nair.

Thunderhorse+

Smash Ace
So why don't you just laser > jab > grab?

Like when I play Falcon, first hit Nair can combo into a grab or jab, so I go for Nair, jab, grab for that extra few percent.
Same logic applies to when I play DDD; Nair combos into jab and grab, so I do Nair jab grab when I want to grab from Nair.
Because most smart players that I've played (hell, in fact I haven't found anyone who DOESN'T do this, not even lol thesage) will always jab after Falco's jab 1.

That's why more times than not I just continue the jab combo :p.

Theoretically jab -> grab is supposed to be a mixup, however it's used so much that it's become the norm, and continuing the jab combo is the mixup.

Either that or MD/VA is too goodz.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Because most smart players that I've played (hell, in fact I haven't found anyone who DOESN'T do this, not even lol thesage) will always jab after Falco's jab 1.

That's why more times than not I just continue the jab combo :p.

Theoretically jab -> grab is supposed to be a mixup, however it's used so much that it's become the norm, and continuing the jab combo is the mixup.

Either that or MD/VA is too goodz.
Well I don't play Falco, or even against any good Falco's so I wouldn't know...
I just assumed that an amazing frame 2 jab could pull off a jab grab combo :p

It would be so sexy if Falco's second hit of jab popped you up slightly ala DDD's jab to guarantee a grab :p

Top Bottom