• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

E3 2011

D

Deleted member

You guys are ****ing pathetic. Impossible to please spoiled *******es... Seriously.
It's not pathetic to criticize the way Nintendo handled their unveiling of the Wii-U, neither are we spoiled.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
You guys are ****ing pathetic. Impossible to please spoiled *******es... Seriously.
>_>

I'm not allowed to have my doubts until I get my hands on the console now?

If anything, barring people from being wary about something that they consider an investment is ****ing pathetic imo.

Back off, fanboy.

Edit:

What Super Smash. Bros. Fan said, too. The former part of it anyway.

Smooth Criminal

Glöwworm

Smash Lord
I was thinking if you didn't like any of the controllers for Smash 4 on the Wii U, you can always get the 3DS version :awesome:

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
It's not like I'm actively shooting this down or anything. I was simply unimpressed with the presentation and I harbor some doubts about the console itself.

That may change when I actually get my hands on the console. Until then, I remain unmoved.

Smooth Criminal

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
This isn't fanboyism so much as it is just being outright disappointed in you guys for the way you're reacting about this. I'm not asking you guys to bow at Nintendo's feet or anything. Hell, I'm not. Satisfied with the Smash Bros. series as I am, the news was cool enough for now. I'm waiting and then when info comes out, I'll judge as I please.

And if I recall correctly, how many people laughed at the Nintendo Wii when it was revealed? Or were cautious? Whaddya know. Look how THAT one turned out! I'm optimistic on the Wii-U for a very good reason; because despite doubts in innovation, it WORKED and SOARED. That, and I don't lose my **** if I'm disappointed (when it comes to games, that is lol). I rather lose my **** when people jump to so many conclusions on something when we hardly KNOW anything about it.

All I'm saying is that at times, you guys come off as impossible to please. Pass the time with the other stuff Nintendo unveiled and is coming out soon. Or Microsoft. Or Sony. Just whatever. It just gets tiring to see all the negativity when neutrality would at least be tolerable. My fault for reading through it all I guess.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
And if I recall correctly, how many people laughed at the Nintendo Wii when it was revealed? Or were cautious? Whaddya know. Look how THAT one turned out!
Like ****.

Sorry, Kuraudo. It may have been successful in netting a huge profit margin with mewling tykes, prepubescent adolescents and clueless thirty/forty/fifty/sixty somethings, but on the whole, the Wii was a failure as a system. Very few solid third party games, and the only real gems emanated from first party Nintendo games, all of which I can count on just over half of all the fingers on each hand when you add up the total for each. The Wii quickly devolved into what PS2 became at the end of its lifecycle: A trash bin for the worst games conceivable. Take that as just opinion if you like, but it is opinion that is substantiated by many sources, of least which includes the very same third party companies lauding the Wii-U's innovation and superior tech.

And they're building on top of gimmicks that failure of a console (the Wii) introduced...? I'm not going to just blithely throw my money away on that. I'll keep myself guarded in that respect, thank you very much.

Smooth Criminal

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Optimism FTW!!

Good speech rant, lol I had the same thoughts about the Wii back in 06 until a friend of mine introduced it to me, quite exciting it was.

..and yea it's Meta

:phone:

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Also the fact that it may not work as effectively a second time.
It could be like stale moves where doing it in succession results in diminishing returns.

We'll see.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Like ****.

Sorry, Kuraudo. It may have been successful in netting a huge profit margin with mewling tykes, prepubescent adolescents and clueless thirty/forty/fifty/sixty somethings, but on the whole, the Wii was a failure as a system. Very few solid third party games, and the only real gems emanated from first party Nintendo games, all of which I can count on just over half of all the fingers on each hand when you add up the total for each.

And they're building on top of gimmicks that failure of a console (the Wii) introduced...? I'm not going to just blithely throw my money away on that. I'll keep myself guarded in that respect, thank you very much.

Smooth Criminal
... Have fun with that. The Wii was the most successful console of this generation beating out the PS3 and 360 in sales (as a advocate player of all three, I have no preference to which is the best). It's only a failure to you because you're not getting enough hardcore games. Hard to say that it failed as it did or was **** when it cranked out the massive success that it did.

I refuse to believe the Wii was a failure when you hardly even gave valid reasons. If it was truly a failure it would have fallen into obscurity long ago. And yet Nintendo still drew in some of the hardcore crowd over time and gave them great games. You can't exactly ignore the good they've done beyond the casual appeal. I think it's going too far when someone says the Wii failed outright.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I'm not even talking about "hardcore" games, Kuraudo.

I'm talking about "games" period.

Tell me that one of those stupid kiddie games had good quality. Tell me. Tell me that those games didn't out-saturate the quality titles.

Smooth Criminal

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Combinining the wiimote with the controller screen thing should really make things even more immersive. It's up to game developers to see if this becomes a gimmick or a true gaming revolution.

I also find it hilarious that people consider Wii a failure in any sense outside of their own personal expectations. Nintendo completely dominated last gen. I understand where people are coming from when they say they aren't Wii fans. It has tons of flaws, and to me, it seems like Nintendo is working to fix that with this WiiU. The third party support already shown has given me a ton of hope.

T-block

B2B TST
... Have fun with that. The Wii was the most successful console of this generation beating out the PS3 and 360 in sales (as a advocate player of all three, I have no preference to which is the best). It's only a failure to you because you're not getting enough hardcore games. Hard to say that it failed as it did or was **** when it cranked out the massive success that it did.

I refuse to believe the Wii was a failure when you hardly even gave valid reasons. If it was truly a failure it would have fallen into obscurity long ago. And yet Nintendo still drew in some of the hardcore crowd over time and gave them great games. You can't exactly ignore the good they've done beyond the casual appeal. I think it's going too far when someone says the Wii failed outright.
You're talking about two very different markets. How about we don't get too hung up on his use of the word "failure"? It's unreasonable to say that the more hardcore gamers should respect the Wii's success.

That said, Smooth Criminal is clearly being influenced by a lot of personal bias.

D

Deleted member

The controller looks great and if it's exactly what IGN described, it should be very interesting to see what they have up in store.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
I'm not even talking about "hardcore" games, Kuraudo.

I'm talking about "games" period.

Tell me that one of those stupid kiddie games had good quality. Tell me. Tell me that those games didn't out-saturated the quality titles.

Smooth Criminal
Did we even PLAY those "stupid kiddie games" in past generations when we got them? Be it on GBA or GameCube or whatever?? Even when those games had quality?

I dunno about you but I've seen plenty a game come out that caught my eye. I definitely see where some people are coming from on this, as I acknowledged with saying how Nintendo realized they needed to appeal to the more hardcore gamer as well later on.

I just think it's a little silly to be so bold to claim that the Wii was a massive failure. Clearly it's not when it lives on through Wii-U. Wii started out as something that "everyone can play" and judging by the titles and demonstrations, as well as what they've talked about now, they wanna catch EVERYONE this time. Make the end of the Wii's run with more games we liked with challenge and the like, more common in this new generation.

It's a promise that we'll just have to wait and see if it comes true. Stay cautious all you want to, but I'm keeping my eye on this stuff with great excitement myself. For me, it's a great way to pass the time. Better then throwing myself into doubting, I say. I don't wanna change the way people think though, so in the end my optimistic side of things is as pointless as the pessimism from the other end of the spectrum.

Enjoy the rest of E3 guys. Don't be too disappointed when it's over.

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
wait just one second

was anybody else watching the tech demo after the conference ended?

if so, did anybody else notice they had MORE THAN FOUR PEOPLE PLAYING AT ONCE in one of them?

i just noticed that now, but one demo had five people playing...how high can they go? eight?

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I also find it hilarious that people consider Wii a failure in any sense outside of their own personal expectations. Nintendo completely dominated last gen. I understand where people are coming from when they say they aren't Wii fans. It has tons of flaws, and to me, it seems like Nintendo is working to fix that. The third party support already shown has given me a ton of hope.
I'm not disagreeing with the fact that Nintendo virtually gobbled up the market for the past year and a half. They outstripped Microsoft and Sony in sales. I'm just pointing out that there were actually few "good" games; not "hardcore" or any stupid appellation like that, but just games. I felt that it failed in that regard.

I am hopeful, though. Despite being guarded about all of this. Probably the biggest reason why I'm going to give the console a shot when it comes out rather than bar it entirely.

Edit: Well, T-Block, that is true. Not everything is hidebound by the strictures of the Debate Hall.

Smooth Criminal

T-block

B2B TST
wait just one second

if so, did anybody else notice they had MORE THAN FOUR PEOPLE PLAYING AT ONCE in one of them?

i just noticed that now, but one demo had five people playing...how high can they go? eight?
I'll be excited when there's more than 5.

Catch Mii is 5 players... four using the TV and one using the WiiU controller. It was probably that?

D

Deleted member

wait just one second

Hopefully that. I heard the PS3 had up to seven players locally. It would be nice to have you and seven friends playing SSB4 or a great sports game.

Technically, you could do five players in a few Virtual Console games.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
For the record, Kuraudo, I did play some of those kiddie games. Laugh if you want, but while I have my preferences, I like to play all kinds of games. I've been doing this since my days of owning a NES.

I don't know why I can't be doubtful until I get my hands on the damn thing.

Smooth Criminal

OmegaXXII

Wii was successful in it's own way where ps3/360 weren't, the same can be said about the other two.

And karaudo, while the Wii was successful in different ways, it was lacking behind ps3/360, marketing wise of course.

D

Deleted member

So how bout that E3, guys?
I found it to be a generally good conference. Lots of great games were announced with a couple nice surprises to throw in. Wii-U (The console's name, ick) was also shown with a nice batch of upcoming third-party games, plus Smash 4 was confirmed. However, Pokedex 3D was totally unnecessary and presentation of Wii-U wasn't exactly great.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I'm not disagreeing with the fact that Nintendo virtually gobbled up the market for the past year and a half. They outstripped Microsoft and Sony in sales. I'm just pointing out that there were actually few "good" games; not "hardcore" or any stupid appellation like that, but just games. I felt that it failed in that regard.

I am hopeful, though. Despite being guarded about all of this. Probably the biggest reason why I'm going to give the console a shot when it comes out rather than bar it entirely.

Edit: Well, T-Block, that is true. Not everything is hidebound by the strictures of the Debate Hall.

Smooth Criminal
I dunno what to tell you. I loved all these games:

Mario Galaxy 1/2
No More Heroes 1/2
Silent Hill Shattered Memories
Wario Ware
Mario Kart
Smash Bros
Excite Truck
New Mario Bros Wii
Zack and Wiki
Donkey Kong Returns
Endless Ocean
Sonic Colors
Boom Blox
Metroid Prime Trilogy
World of Goo
Goldeneye

I think all of those are good, even great games. Is Mario Galaxy "not a game"? That's more good exclusive games I can think of from the Gamecube or the PS3.

What you are talking about is Wii's weak power has put it in a lame position as far as third party development goes. Nobody wants to port their games over to Wii because it can't handle them, and the wii's library has been flooded with shovelware because some developers know that these stupid kid games will sell. Even better, they don't have to actually put any effort into them.

So don't get me wrong. I get upset as you probably do whenever I go to a game store and see the Wii aisle is 90% "WII PARTYZ" "WII COOKING" "WII PET MASTURBATION SIMULATOR FUN TIME". However, Nintendo's first and second party games have more than justified my purchase of the system.

and, yeah, I like the wiimote. I like IR pointers.

OmegaXXII

Well we can't jump to conclusions yet, a new Fox might be announced after the Wii-u's launch, heck it might even be in development as we speak.

At this point the Wii-U and Vita are definetly must haves.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Basically this... While reading through around 20+ pages I missed, It was mostly complaining about the new Console Name, No Pikmin 3, or just the controller in general.

Also give me all the info of this Nintendo conference.

Gamewise.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
I've got no problem with the Wii-U thing. I'm just more pissed I rushed back home to be able to see the Mass Effect 3 conference that was supposed to start at 4 EST, and have been waiting the past 35 minutes to see anything on it.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I dunno what to tell you. I loved all these games:

Mario Galaxy 1/2
No More Heroes 1/2
Silent Hill Shattered Memories
Wario Ware
Mario Kart
Smash Bros
Excite Truck
New Mario Bros Wii
Zack and Wiki
Donkey Kong Returns
Endless Ocean
Sonic Colors
Boom Blox
Metroid Prime Trilogy
World of Goo
Goldeneye

I think all of those are good, even great games. Is Mario Galaxy "not a game"? That's more good exclusive games I can think of from the Gamecube or the PS3.

What you are talking about is Wii's weak power has put it in a lame position as far as third party development goes. Nobody wants to port their games over to Wii because it can't handle them, and the wii's library has been flooded with shovelware because some developers know that these stupid kid games will sell. Even better, they don't have to actually put any effort into them.

So don't get me wrong. I get upset as you probably do whenever I go to a game store and see the Wii aisle is 90% "WII PARTYZ" "WII COOKING" "WII PET MASTURBATION SIMULATOR FUN TIME". However, Nintendo's first and second party games have more than justified my purchase of the system.

and, yeah, I like the wiimote. I like IR pointers.
I need to add my toes to count then. lol

I liked most of the games you put up there, too. Those were the ones that I was mostly talking about (never got around to playing World of Goo, No More Heroes or Zack and Wiki, though. Really wanted to play Zack and Wiki; looked interesting).

I guess the divide here is in the fact that third party support was little more than shovelware (a point you and I seem to agree on) and that I didn't like the control scheme (I'm not a big fan of motion controls; to be fair, though, I wouldn't mind playing an FPS with the smooth motion controls of the Metroid Prime series), two things I really didn't like about the Wii.

I can compromise, however, and respect why you like the system, and that your money was well-spent. It's your tastes; it's your money. It's all preference. I hope you don't see that my posts are attacks directed at that because they're not.

I apologize for coming off as I did. Like T-Block said, it's just personal bias on my end. I would love to be proven wrong, however, and I will agree that Nintendo is definitely moving in the right direction with this new console. I just don't want to regard it with blind optimism because of the model that the Wii-U was based off of, factors I didn't really like all that much.

Smooth Criminal

Top Bottom