• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

E3 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
Secret of Monkey Island Remake on PC, and a WiiWare new Monkey Island?!

:bee:

*won't be on Smash Boards for a while once they're released*

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
Final Fantasy 13 is really the only thing motivating my purchase of an Xbox 360. I may sound like a noob, but I seriously did not plan on buying the thing. I never did like Microsoft as a game dev.

DrakeRowan

Just call me "Rowan"
3DS FC
3668-9905-1901
I admit the graphics for Splinter Cell looks AMAZING!

P.S: Square show'd nothing besides a slightly altered Combat System and Odin. Big whoop.. =/

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
L4D2 is stupid. Unless the game does something to seriously shake up the format of L4D, I think it'll be a waste and kill the longevity that L4D has.

So, what was the big announcement that MS had? That the remaining Beatles were there?

Spire

III
BRoomer
So, what was the big announcement that MS had? That the remaining Beatles were there?
As it seems. Unless of course, they bumped it 5 minutes so they could announce something extra at the end. Very disappointing if it was the appearance of Paul and Ringo.

So... Halo Reach?

Nasty_Nate

Smash Lord
Secret of Monkey Island Remake on PC, and a WiiWare new Monkey Island?!

:bee:

*won't be on Smash Boards for a while once they're released*
HOLY **** WTF im at school so I cant watch the vids yet but if this is true ima die

if its not ill come after you. srsly

Spire

III
BRoomer
Don't you guys love the collision glitch seen in Shadow Complex that caused them to pause the screen, try and play it off, and call it quits?

Also, Alan Wake looks awesome. I'll definitely be playing that.

Scott!

Smash Lord
"How many push-ups can Chuck Norris do?" Trick question.

Controller-free gaming... we'll have to see how it works in reality, but it could be interesting.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Looks like what Wii wanted to do, but actually fun

Spire

III
BRoomer
So, Project: Natal is their next console, eh? The Wii is looking dimmer and dimmer.

Nevermind, it's for 360.

Still, Wii Motion+ might not hold a candle to this.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Um, is it just me, or does this seem quite similar to the Eyetoy, but a little more sophisticated?

Spire

III
BRoomer
Um, is it just me, or does this seem quite similar to the Eyetoy, but a little more sophisticated?
Yargh, about to post that! The eyetoy bombed hard, and if the gaming world can't accept such technology, then Natal will fluke also.

It's very, very impressive, but I can't say I dig it.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
METAL GEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAR ON 360!

The whole motion control thing is pretty cool, and it pretty much wrecks anything Nintendo could do with the Wiimote. For the casuals, at least.

I lol'd at "No pre set waggle controls". Eat it Nintendo!

Crazy_mofo213

Smash Lord
Microsoft showed some cool games and all, but the whole Natal thing is really has me wondering why MS suddenly has the urge to make controllers obsolete.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Like normal, MS and sony have to follow the path nintendo makes. Nintendo is truly a game changer.

NATAL is F-ing AMAZING!!!!!!! I wont get a 360 but i WILL play on NATAL as much as i can when it comes out. Casual is the future.

All those typical gun games from MS are boring/over hyped/old. Nothing special.

Lets see if sony brings out thier new controler like MS did.

tirkaro

Smash Champion
Hey, I didn't know Microsoft was also making an Eyetoy.

I kid, it looks pretty good, but still, nothing they showed really convinced me to buy a 360 over a PS3 yet, besides Forza 3.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Well, that bit at the end was the most interesing IMAO.

However, it also bothered me quite a bit.

The Wii's waggle isn't very fun not because it can't be fun, as we have all seen games where the waggle worked, such as the launch title Twilight Princess. It's that developers choose not to put the time and effort necesary into making the motion controls an enhancement to the game.

The problem I have always found with voice recognition is that it doesn't ever seem accurate, and involves somewhat embarassing yourself in public by talking to inanimate objects. I didn't even like Phoenix Wright's use of it though, so take that opinion with a grain of salt.

But most importantly, I want to know how the technology will be utilized in future FPSs. The fact that not a single FPS control scheme using Natal seemed to be mentioned, but rather "virtual friend" was used instead, bothered me, and indicates the future of this technology IMO.

I did like that there appeared to be a title though, but I didn't like the lack of mention of a price point and a release date. Is it coming out in late 2009 or late 2011?

I actually hope this succeeds in bringing motion controls to the FPS genre, but what I've heard so far does not seem to indicate Microsoft has any intention of bringing Halo to Natal. Instead, it sounded like Natal will be used for minigame compilations and a friend simulator. This seriously worries me.

Why does every introduction of a motion technology for video games begin with a minigame compilation? Wii sports, Squeeballs, and now Natal's paint throwing demo.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
There is nothing the Motion Plus can do to save itself. Unless Nintendo unveils a brand new system, or just scraps the Motion Plus for a new controller, coughorcomesoutwithakirbywii, Microsoft has already won.

But what they're doing with technology is insane. Think of Dora the Explorer episodes with Dora like Miloh!

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
There is nothing the Motion Plus can do to save itself. Unless Nintendo unveils a brand new system, or just scraps the Motion Plus for a new controller, coughorcomesoutwithakirbywii, Microsoft has already won.

But what they're doing with technology is insane. Think of Dora the Explorer episodes with Dora like Miloh!
I'm not even completely sure what you are saying, but this is a really rediculous thing to say if you are saying what I think you are saying.

First off, Natal sounds like a fancy eye toy.

Second, there will not be any Natal games for over a year. The developement tools were just handed out today, most games take over a year to develop, and unlike motion plus enhancements, a lot of the engine will need to be made from scratch, as there aren't any engines for the Xbox that can utilize motion conrols. This isn't like the Tiger Woods game, where motion controls already existed and they merely added enhancements to existing technology, Natal requires specific types of games to be made for the sole purpose of utilizing the technology.

Third, and you stated it yourself, think Dora the Explorer Episodes with Dora likes Miloh. That's pretty much what I heard went down at the Microsoft press conference - minigames and a virtual best friend.

Forth, Motion Plus has Red Steel 2. Natal has Miloh.

Handorin

Smash Hero
Natal is a huge step in technology though. Real? Virtual Reality (lol?) is really close. Probably withing 5-10 years. That kid thing they showed was also brilliant AI. It will be interesting.

Also, twitter. -_-

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
I hope Natal doesn't turn out like Wii where it's just used for mini games and stuff like that. but, we'll see.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
I hope Natal doesn't turn out like Wii where it's just used for mini games and stuff like that. but, we'll see.
That's the funny thing: I can't wait to try out the first Halo game that utilizes Natal. Now THAT would be the most awesome thing in years.

Although I wonder how you would hold the gun without a peripheral. It's rather uncomfterble to hold your arms up for hours at a time as if you were holding an actual BR.

Actually, if there was a Halo Natal, I would really want a peripheral. Not necesarily a zapper, but perhaps a toy pistol? How about an exact replica of the pistol used in Halo? That would be pure win.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Natal is an advancement not just in videogames, but technology as a whole. That seriously does kill whatever Nintendo can do with Motion Plus. There is no bothersome controller to smash through the TV like the Wii, and I don't see how just because it's in it's developmental stages that that changes anything.

Third party designers find it hard to make things for the Wii, and Motion Plus games also have to be made with the Motion Plus in mind. It is the evolution of the Eye Toy, with enhancements after that that allow for perfect recognition.

Miloh, although virtual can recognize your voice, your words, notice your emotions, display emotions, etc. Did you see how the lady drew on a paper then "handed" it to Miloh? How she offered to help him with his schoolwork? How she swam with him? Dude, this is way big. As much as I love Nintendo and dislike Microsoft, Nintendo has already lost. Unless they unveil something just as big, which is unlikely.

ChaosKnight

Smash Master
you doubt what nintendo does for this game indsutry they are truly kings because they make everyone sway towards what htey made motion controller was introduced by nintendo now microsoft and sony follow suit and make it better

now nintendos next step?? we'll see..

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Natal is an advancement not just in videogames, but technology as a whole. That seriously does kill whatever Nintendo can do with Motion Plus. There is no bothersome controller to smash through the TV like the Wii, and I don't see how just because it's in it's developmental stages that that changes anything.

Third party designers find it hard to make things for the Wii, and Motion Plus games also have to be made with the Motion Plus in mind. It is the evolution of the Eye Toy, with enhancements after that that allow for perfect recognition.

Miloh, although virtual can recognize your voice, your words, notice your emotions, display emotions, etc. Did you see how the lady drew on a paper then "handed" it to Miloh? How she offered to help him with his schoolwork? How she swam with him? Dude, this is way big. As much as I love Nintendo and dislike Microsoft, Nintendo has already lost. Unless they unveil something just as big, which is unlikely.
To be completely honest, I only read about it. I'm looking for a video on youtube, but I think I understand well enough from what I've read.

I am not sure what you mean by lost. If you mean the media wars, then yes, Nintendo lost this E3. If you are talking about what truely interests me about these games though, then no, Nintendo still has to make a showing before I decide their announcements are more or less interesting to me than the Microsoft announcements.

Here's what I know about it: It's a super long term project, no hope of being released before the next E3, the only game even close to done is a best friend simulator (which I actually find to be a rather creepy concept), and it's already being presented as double the so-called "casualness" of the wii.

The motion plus might not be as good, but it's (almost) currently available, and it actually will be used in upscale games that I will like, games that have already been announced, all of which will come out before E3 2010.

you doubt what nintendo does for this game indsutry they are truly kings because they make everyone sway towards what htey made motion controller was introduced by nintendo now microsoft and sony follow suit and make it better

now nintendos next step?? we'll see..
This is actually a good point. Microsoft and Sony aren't exactly innovative - they would never have considered motion controls if the wii didn't use them successfully first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom