• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dont get da kid started (boss)

Omari

Smash Journeyman
VC9 was mad fun especially since I hyped Mario Kart Double Dash (MKDD). (Shout-outs to Cable, Delta, Gun-Blade, RJ, NAKAT, etc for making MKDD very worth while!)

Real talk? Don't know what to do about using Mario at offline tournaments anymore. Did really well against J-tls, Chibo, Afro (pretty chill/funny guy) but...I'm starting to wonder if I should actually use other characters in tourneys.

I want to place really well only using Mario at big events but it seems that Mario in brawl is a true limit. Lets face it, he's ***...I have to put in so much more work. One part of me is saying to keep reppin' your character 100% (like I always do) but the other part is saying...Just main MK son...Jus sayin'......(no not Monk, lol)

I'd like to know your opinions Mario boards (asked most people at VC9 & they said to choose higher tiers), thanks.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
good thing my mario is ditto proof -_^b
You don't know about my Mario dittos.

And Vato, I said $5 because I respect you as a player, not because I'm completely confident in winning against your Metaknight (Or any Metaknight), And there is absolutely no way I would ever wager $30 in any game. Especially not when it's my worst matchup.

Omari

Smash Journeyman
Should I go to Pound V?
Yes.

@Boss: How did you handle placing when you started (& now) using Mario at offline tournaments? What do you do to better yourself for upcoming events?

-Mainly thinking of switching characters next tournaments (Pound V) but IDK brah, IDK......:urg:

Omari

Smash Journeyman
I wonder what goes on in boss's head when he plays.

Will we ever know? ~maybe not~
LOL! I love your impersonation of me Vato. Honestly, I do that to make reading simpler (better to grasp). Plain text hurts my eyes a little (its boring) & I try to empathize how it'd feel if someone was reading my text (posts, replies, threads, whatever). After VC9, I'm starting to realize why you switched to MK. I don't want to use another character other than Mario in tourneys, too much fun. Love the sarcasm, I see you like my style so keep em' coming! :awesome:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Omari, picking up MK against other MKs won't help you now. What you could try is to use Fox against MK and as your alt. character in general - not because he's so amazing but because he's not a bad choice vs MK and his bad match-ups are fairly uncommon in your region [and can be dealt with Mario kinda]. You have a good Fox in your region also, he can probably help you.

:059:

Omari

Smash Journeyman
Omari, picking up MK against other MKs won't help you now. What you could try is to use Fox against MK and as your alt. character in general - not because he's so amazing but because he's not a bad choice vs MK and his bad match-ups are fairly uncommon in your region [and can be dealt with Mario kinda]. You have a good Fox in your region also, he can probably help you.

:059:
1st off, thanks for your support Gheb. I love the Mario:MK MU (<3 all of Mario's MUs actually) & MKs in tournaments don't give me trouble. IMO, I want to completely master all of Mario's MUs so I can be prepared (mentally & in game-play) for anything. You're right about Fox as a character (I don't think smashers realize exactly how good he is but that's my opinion) & yes, you're talking about Tyrell AKA NAKAT. I play him often although he lives in NJ & I live in NY (Fused both regions to strengthen our players, basically). He does help me out overall whenever he can & puts great words in about my Mario. Dragon Bowser (not sure anyone here heard of him-excellent Samus main next to GenoSamus IMO) gave me advice to limit my subs (remaining roster) to even better my overall performance in offline events. Really appreciate your advice & I'll learn everything I can.

NAKAT

Smash Champion
Omari :) I told you about the training I have at my house so you are invited whenever you can make it. Another thing, I use to second Luigi and main Fox, but I dropped Luigi because he just couldn't win they way I thought he could. Don't get me wrong I love Luigi to death and still use him for fun, but dude I hate seeing you do bad in tournament. I can really say you have potential, but it's also your character that is holding you back a bit. I am not a really good teacher, but if you want I can try and help you build a secondary or even a new main so you can suprise NJ/NY and get ranked :). Your Mario isn't bad either, I watched you play jtails diddy. First stock was mad close but Mario just couldn't get the kill and Diddy took advantage of it.

2fast

Smash Journeyman
Yes.

@Boss: How did you handle placing when you started (& now) using Mario at offline tournaments? What do you do to better yourself for upcoming events?

^ I'd like to know this to actually as I get annoyed with Mario's top tier MUs since Mario's not to great against Mr.Top Tier S Rank and I run into a lot of those which is what kills my tourney performance so I recently picked up Snake to help me out against Metagay and Lucario (I suck against Lucario xP). I'm scared of being an Ally though, as I keep using Snake he may start to overshadow my Mario like Ally and his MK.

boss8

Smash Hero
i live in MD/VA

there are so many characters in this region....so learning matchups isnt that hard....

also go to turneys and play with alot of top players...with my mario bros....

thats where the EXP points come in...

MP8

Smash Journeyman
Omari, your predicament (if that's the appropriate word) is similar to what I was asking Boss about before. I was getting his opinion on character swaps for tough match-ups. Just like you, I would hate to switch from Mario because he's my main and I want to win as him. At the same time, its made me undecisive in the past but after some thought, I'm just going to continue focusing on Mario. But what I wanted to point out was that you gave me sensible advice for my question so maybe you should think about that same advice. I believe it had something to do with limiting of thought.

vato_break

Smash Master
More like getting vato'd mk was my seconday and eventually i just started using him more :(

and the Socal Panel putting me on the socal PR didnt help much either lol

Omari

Smash Journeyman
@NAKAT: Thanks once again bro, can't tell you how much that mean to me. I'm going to start coming out to NJ more next week (hopefully if all goes well). I want to support Vinnie this weekend (his Birthday) so I'll most likely be gettin' it in (training) over there. May you PM me your # so I can add you to my contacts? Thanks.

@ Inferno: They can attempt to troll me all they want. Two things trolls aren't aware of Inferno.
1. Trolling isn't effective if the troll is ignored.
2. Trolling also isn't effective if the person being trolled isn't salty (or raging).
Like I say, Don't rage quit, quit rage.

@2fast: Honestly, I'm going to stick with Mario no matter what. But (BUT), I'm going to lessen my subs to two to three characters. Used to sub the roster but that may be my downfall (not sure) as to why my placings weren't where they should be.

My advice to you is first decide what do you brawl for (Pride or Prize)? Once you figured that out decide what it is that you want to accomplish in the smash community? After that, work smart (not hard) at achieving that goal/objective. (Never be afraid to ask for help as people will better you as a smasher overall.) At first, no one wanted to be around me (1. because I was a WiFi warrior & 2. Because I was free (pretty much a noob-cake) offline) so I had to make a name for myself (both online & mainly offline). Still learning new **** still to this day (that what I love about tournaments)...there's always something new to be learned.

@Boss: Point given, point taken. Going to travel more & get more experience I need to place well! Thanks.

@Famous: Come to Pound V *****!

@MP8: You're correct in a sense. False limits was my advice to you but Mario as a character (no matter how much I hate to admit it), is horrible in brawl (which is a true limit). I love a challenge & proving that Mario is one of the better characters is indeed a difficult task at hand. Sure I can place with mid/high tiers (don't really know why there's a tier list anyway) but I like completing impossible tasks (as they seem). Honestly, I'm always going to rep+ Mario all dai errrrdai but if keep placing like I do...may have to become a mid/high tier zombie temporarily...IDK...Thanks for you support bro, appreciate it!

@Vato Break: Word, I feel you on that. Its like being the champion when PR'd. Why go back down the ladder? IDK man, one part of me wants you to stick with MK but the other is saying Let's-a-go! All up to you though.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
Man, i need to start going to tourneys. Since bo_x7 kinda step down, it's now up to me to take over as "midwest's best mario." -_^b

:mario2: <---The greatest!

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Gotta be better than Xero and others before that happens good luck.

A random, but general piece of advice for Mario's: Try to learn to recover without the use of up-B. This may seem rudimentary enough, but trust me... It really helps. I'm not that great of a player yet, but one thing I can say is that I don't get gimped with Mario very much. Learning to DI better, putting myself in better recovery positions using everything sans SJP certainly helps.

I read a bit ago that Boss wasn't aware that you had lag coming off of up-b on ledge snap. I know Be@st made me reconsider Up-Bing onto the stage and into edgeguarding characters as an option and it's one that I use.

MP8

Smash Journeyman
@Omari Nah, there's nothing to thank me for. You have the answers at your disposal so you're the one helping the cause. Indeed, I know what you mean. Repping your character to the end can really put a damper on yourself if that character is harder to place high with. In our case, we think about seeking insurance JUST IN CASE but still never forget the main. Of course many would ask what's the point of doing that if your chances of winning is higher with another character, thus is where the problem stands. Even if you were to literally master ALL of Mario's match-ups, the situation remains fragile because one slip-up in a bad match-up leads to much more dire consequences. Everything you do must be the right move and with perfect timing or else one mistake will be punished severely. In my opinion, this is why its so hard with the low tiers. No second chances and sometimes hoping the other guy makes a mistake first.

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
I've been getting multiple requests to troll Omari. From like the 2 sentence I've read from him out of the endless essays I've seen posted, it looks as if he DOES goto tournaments, AND plays people outside his group friends. I don't know if he thinks he's Jesus Christ of Mario yet or not, but if not, he already has +3 for A2Z. So no, I will not be trolling Omari, yet.

His posts do hurt my eyes though. But atleast it's not a stupid color like turquoise or something.

Omari

Smash Journeyman
@Coolwhip: You know I'm supporting you bro but don't look to become an opinion. Become a better player (& person) overall, work on how you feel about your skill(s) & not what others think. Keep at it dude, I'm rooting for you & :mario2:!

@Juushichi: Regarding recovering without using SJP? I agree with you in a sense (to prevent canceling out the ledge thus receiving more landing lag when you land on ground) but eventually during a match (any match) you will be forced to use your recovery. You'll be free (simple to kill) temporarily if you SJP to the ledge (no matter if you mid air jump, air dodge or special). To break from being free (getting punished), air (N-air, b-air, u-air or d-air) back to the stage because there's less landing lag. IMO, I'd recommend using F.L.U.D.D. to recover from high percentages because it will either help you to space or push your opponent(s) away while pushing you closer to the stage. Never limit yourself & SJP against your opponent(s) edge guarding is a great option IMO.

Edge guarding with Mario can become difficult (depending on the MU) but you have many tools at your disposal to keep the pressure going. I love to position myself close enough to the ledge so that the tip of Mario's f-smash can hit my opponent if they were to get up attack from the ledge.

@MP8: I'm thanking you for your support. I'm definitely not perfect & I do make mistakes too. We're all human, what can we do? Regarding me using Mario? I'm going to do more research during my spare time to sub-main two extra characters to assist Mario in tournaments. I'll definitely be using Mario the most, I'll tell you that. You're welcome.

I've been getting multiple requests to troll Omari. From like the 2 sentence I've read from him out of the endless essays I've seen posted, it looks as if he DOES goto tournaments, AND plays people outside his group friends. I don't know if he thinks he's Jesus Christ of Mario yet or not, but if not, he already has +3 for A2Z. So no, I will not be trolling Omari, yet.

His posts do hurt my eyes though. But atleast it's not a stupid color like turquoise or something.
Two things made me laugh about the first sentence.
1. The people "requesting" you to troll me are obviously timid to do so themselves.
2. Why haven't you? (Not egging you on but if I wanted to troll someone (anyone), I would've been doing it.

Of course because of my post count, join date & few amount of icons I will be taken as a newcomer (noob, nub or whatever you want to call it). I expect people to act that way its natural. "Who does this kid think he is acting like he's the best & we don't know ****?" Do you all really think I really stay on SWF all day, everyday attempting to start **** for no reason because I don't have anything else better to do? ***** please...got better things to take care of.

Yes, I do enter tournaments (to better myself as a player & person) as my skill will improve at faster rates than playing online like I used to do (& still do occasionally).

Jesus Christ of Mario? ROFLMAO, ...fail...no. Like I said before (for the 3489473468756874time...), I'm not here to take (or replace) anyone's spot. I can give two ****s less about an opinion someone else has about me (unless its beneficial to me). I play brawl (& have fun while doing it) with a ****ty character in the game I love. Personally, I have no problem asking questions to other members (especially those who're more experienced in different area(s) than what I am) for help. I'm usually asking people to critique me after playing them (actual set, money match, friendly, whatever).

Its inevitable overtime that good people are going to have haters & haters are obviously gonna hate (so let them do their job...hate). Now people are probably thinking..."Oh, we're not hating on you *****." ...Really? You are because if you weren't, you wouldn't be responding to everything I do but its cool. I<3myhaters! Honestly, they have uses to make be even better.

Finally, I write because I like to teach people (CPR instructor so that helps in a sense). Agreed that walls of text does hurt the human eye but that's why I do my best to break the walls down (& bold, italicize & underline) to make reading simpler & fun. Besides, I'm definitely not here to follow suit & what's wrong with turquoise? Will it make you rage that much? Wow...lol.

Now...

Back to the main point of this thread (to ask questions):
@Boss: Would you consider n-air a good recovery move (either when returning to the stage or when recovering from the ledge) in terms of being safe/setups/gimping? Want to hear other thoughts on the matter.

Inferno3044

Smash Master

I can cosign the fact that he does go to tourneys. I have seen him at 3. He's a cool guy.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
How do I deal with Pit? I've got some idea, but any advice would help.

It's just a goddamn annoying MU.

vato_break

Smash Master
Box7, Boss, J-p, ??????, Fatmanonice, Judge Judy, Kanzaki, Hero, Khaos, Dp's Mario, Help!, Ray/Boshi, WWjason, Mario101, Monk, Matt07, Vato_break, Veggi

Top Bottom