• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dont get da kid started (boss)

boss8

Smash Hero

Basically a mario thread where i will answer all of your mario questions...

Who knows.Maybe you will find out how i do my game breaking reads

i also have aim = shadowmnvol3

Note:ask a stupid question get a stupid answer xD

refrences:
A2Zomg
omari
calabyte
vato_break

Inferno3044

Smash Master
Didn't you have of these a long time ago?

But serious question here. You're definitely one of my favorite people to watch because of all the gimmicks you do. Care to share some of them?

Also you're an amazing player. Why don't you use a better character? Boss mindgames/reads + a high tier character would just be dumb.

boss8

Smash Hero
Didn't you have of these a long time ago?

But serious question here. You're definitely one of my favorite people to watch because of all the gimmicks you do. Care to share some of them?

Also you're an amazing player. Why don't you use a better character? Boss mindgames/reads + a high tier character would just be dumb.
yea i did have one of these xD but its 2011 brah work wit me haha....

gimmicks/tricks

-i count MK jumps
-mk's usually panic in the air after getting hit by fludd
-Alot of people panic cause they dnt knw what to do vs you
-People only fall for gimmicks at mid/high percents
-Another great gimmick is doing something out of the ordinary
-after i double jab cancel i watch which way my opponent DI's (really helps lead into things)

why dnt i use a better character?

cause i dnt have fun with anyone else...and if im not having fun im not winning...

mars16

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5429-8906-2115
To keep Mario's Speed flowing should

I spam Uair and bAIR? or maybe just Bair? for spacing?
Dats if my enemy is to close for me to be spamming fireballs

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
There's that legendary kill of yours with Luigi vs Omni's MK where you read his roll away from you and upB him. Do you consciously go for such hard reads or is it more an instinctive thing?

:059:

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
So what are the pros & cons on playing mario? *Ponders*

:mario2: <--He's really god-tier, but no one kares.

boss8

Smash Hero
To keep Mario's Speed flowing should

I spam Uair and bAIR? or maybe just Bair? for spacing?
Dats if my enemy is to close for me to be spamming fireballs
One of the main keys is to keep mario flowing and speeding...spamming safe spaced moves...ftilt,bair,uair....

you can do fake outs which cause's your opponents shield to go down....giving u a free dair (coming down from ontop of his shield) MOST of the time it will shield poke your opponent giving you a free Ftilt...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0U1pRsHOKDY <----7:39 example of bair to ftilt,dair to ftilt also works

most of that 2nd game i also do empty jumps...and OOS nairs

$5 MM?

You can go Mario or Luigi, your pick.
kk next time i see you -_^b

I'd like to see that on youtube or sumtin.
would be entertaining xD

What are your opinions on empty short hops?
i love empty short hops.As i stated above in the previous response i use those sparingly xD

There's that legendary kill of yours with Luigi vs Omni's MK where you read his roll away from you and upB him. Do you consciously go for such hard reads or is it more an instinctive thing?

:059:
i cant explain my reads brah...i like to call them *luigi sense's* and throughout the match i would watch my opponents DI and which way they would DI off my jab,how they would react to it etc....i did some thinking,and i came to the conclusion that i can utilize this to get kills.....

same for mario.....but gimp setups and not up-b setups xD
So what are the pros & cons on playing mario? *Ponders*

:mario2: <--He's really god-tier, but no one kares.
pros-you get to have fun
-its nice to find out something new about him
-he is slowly getting better and finding out more things about him..
-he can gimp so well
-oos nair and uair are ****
-recovery isnt bad at all...

cons-
-you will have a hard time in turney play..why? cause everyone will play gay towards you(camp you,time you out,etc)
-you have haters -_^b
-MK,DDD,kirby, need i say more?
-you have lag after landing from the edge(unless something can be done about that)
-no kill moves

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
you have lag after landing from the edge(unless something can be done about that)
It's called Landing Penalty Will and you get rid of it by landing with an aerial. That's why if you fireball a Falco out of side b, he lags for a few seconds (I don't know if Mario can side b Falco's side b at all, but that's an example).

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Seeing as this is here...

What's your opinion on the Mario vs. Ganon MU? Where would Mario want to take Ganon, and where would Mario want to avoid at all costs?

MP8

Smash Journeyman
What's your opinion on Mario/G&W? Because honestly, I have a great deal of trouble against him. Also, when it comes to competitive play, is it imperitive for a Mario main to have an "upper tier" secondary at hand for insurance? Or do you think his potential allows him to be good enough to be the insurance for say Bowser or other lesser-known characters? I think its unnessesary honestly but what would you say?

boss8

Smash Hero
Seeing as this is here...

What's your opinion on the Mario vs. Ganon MU? Where would Mario want to take Ganon, and where would Mario want to avoid at all costs?
Mario vs ganon i would say is 60-40 in marios favor just because mario can literally run circles around him...

if you play gay n campy ganon cant really do anything about it..Ganon is easily combo food also...so getting those hits on him should be a breeze...

take em to BF or yoshis....basically anything with platforms....avoid FD PS and other flat stages...

What's your opinion on Mario/G&W? Because honestly, I have a great deal of trouble against him. Also, when it comes to competitive play, is it imperitive for a Mario main to have an "upper tier" secondary at hand for insurance? Or do you think his potential allows him to be good enough to be the insurance for say Bowser or other lesser-known characters? I think its unnessesary honestly but what would you say?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IwN5rjpAA4 <-----most recent one i got =[

honestly i rarely come across a GaW but i learned its not that bad of a matchup.....

pros
-He is lightweight
-floaty/lightweight easy combo's and setups...
-usmash kills around 110%
-your faster then he is.
-fludd kills his recovery

Cons
-he kills you early
-he gets another up-b after you've caped his recovery
-he has WAY more priority then you
-his air game is also WAY better then yours...
-bucket aka no fireballing allowed

you kinda wanna space yourself really well and create a wall that he cant break through.Ftilts bairs,you never wanna be above him!! stay grounded...space well enough to avoid his dtilt...

Secondary for mario?

By all means go for it man...if you feel you can win with another character then go for it...honestly i cant tell you who is a good second for mario but i wouldnt think a character lower then him would be a good option xD...

let me or any other mario mains knw if u need help -_^b

MP8

Smash Journeyman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IwN5rjpAA4 <-----most recent one i got =[

honestly i rarely come across a GaW but i learned its not that bad of a matchup.....

pros
-He is lightweight
-floaty/lightweight easy combo's and setups...
-usmash kills around 110%
-your faster then he is.
-fludd kills his recovery

Cons
-he kills you early
-he gets another up-b after you've caped his recovery
-he has WAY more priority then you
-his air game is also WAY better then yours...
-bucket aka no fireballing allowed

you kinda wanna space yourself really well and create a wall that he cant break through.Ftilts bairs,you never wanna be above him!! stay grounded...space well enough to avoid his dtilt...

Secondary for mario?

By all means go for it man...if you feel you can win with another character then go for it...honestly i cant tell you who is a good second for mario but i wouldnt think a character lower then him would be a good option xD...

let me or any other mario mains knw if u need help -_^b
Thanks for the feedback Boss. Yeah, it just seems G&W is overlooked sometimes because his bucket limits the use of one of Mario's best tools, his air game wins and he can whip out his strong smashes pretty fast. I have a good idea of it now. Yeah, I asked about the secondary because I've gotten the impression that having someone on hand to take the Meta Knight MU for instance might be better. My secondaries are infact lower chars but in competitive terms, it might suffice to seek equal or "better" just incase for backup. I won't let that over-shadow Mario of course because I still think he has all the answers (I hope that didn't look contradicting but w/e). I might have more questions but I think I need to see where I stand first. Thanks again though.

MP8

Smash Journeyman
No point in having a secondary if you're playing Mario, as they'll just overshadow him
Depends on who that secondary is. But I see what you mean. If having another character to take tougher matches comes up, then why main Mario if you're better with another character? You have a point. I shouldn't have even asked in the first place because the point of this is wanting to get better with Mario. My bad. Sorry for the misleading/contradicting question Boss. My main priority needs to stay as Mario.

Omari

Smash Journeyman
cons-
-you will have a hard time in turney play..why? cause everyone will play gay towards you(camp you,time you out,etc)
-you have haters -_^b
-MK,DDD,kirby, need i say more?
-you have lag after landing from the edge(unless something can be done about that)
-no kill moves
Cons in depth. Pretty brief IMO.

-Agreed.
-Mario will always have haters. IDK why though...he's nice to everyone...even the Mushroom Kingdom......including Fat Boy (Bowser) himself.
-No, point given point taken.
-As Joe said, you can prevent extra landing lag from happening if you air back to the stage. Three of Mario's airs (u-air, b-air & n-air) all have 10 frames landing lag. What does this mean? You're able to combo (examples below) at any percent when making ground contact.

Mario's D-air: Even though d-air has 19 frames of landing lag, you can follow up with jab-cancel (frame advantage, smart reads & mind games), double jab-cancel (racking up damage free damage), front tilt (f-tilt) (spacing), down smash (d-smash) (changing momentum) or Super Jump Punch for shenanigans! Keep in mind Mario's d-air is seven hits (1>1>1>1>1>2>7 opposed to 1>1>1>1>1>7 when going airborne (into the air)) total when making ground contact.

Ledge recovering examples: Imagine Mario hanging from the ledge. When your opponent(s) close to you (& is juggle free) you're able to...
1. (Let go (or fast fall) mid air jump) D-air>whatever you want (examples? D-air>infinite jump>u-air string...more examples? D-air>SJP. D-air>d-air (free fall d-air by holding down before you get to the apex)>jab-cancel>d-air (again? lol)>u-air sting. D-air>n-air (fast fall)>whatever you want. D-air>(fast fall) b-air (for people who have a tendency to roll). Much more examples.

2. (Let go (or fast fall) immediately mid air jump) N-air (at apex)>Jab, N-air (at apex)>double jab, N-air (at apex)>u-tilt (low percents)>pivot grab>whatever you want, N-air (at apex)>f-tilt, N-air (at apex)>d-smash (mid percents), N-air (at apex)>SSFS (at mid/high percents), etc. Be creative. Know what works, know what doesn't work...experiment. Occasionally do dumb **** (works wonders, trust me).

3. Fast fall (immediately mid air jump)>u-air>whatever you want. Note: Don't u-air your opponent(s) at early percents like 0-15% where they can punish you back for stupidity. Hit them when you know they can't hit you. +20% is a good time to start u-air stringing from ledges. Also...why not mix up? Most people will predict Mario to U-air>u-air...okay yeah? Why not throw a free fall d-air after your u-air? Remember, d-air pressures shields. Something like......um......U-air>d-air>double jab-cancel (opponent shields out of panic)>buffer grab>d-throw>tech chase>IDK...whatever you want.

4. You can regain your previous position by punishing your opponent(s) by b-airing them offstage. This will reset your position & then you'll be able to gimp. Let's say you baiting Marth to use his up special towards the stage rather than the ledge? You b-air him>run offstage (pivot fire ball)>cape (or F.L.U.D.D.)>(if they don't die....)>SJP (make sure you give yourself enough space to grab the ledge and land onstage.

What about f-air?
Honestly, I'd save f-airs for forcing people to up special back to the stage (baiting). Lets say you bait DK's up special? Now what? He's spinning helplessly & is about to receive a large amount of landing lag. How can I get the most effective punish? F-air (mid air)>jab-lock or f-air(grounded)>whatever you want whether it be a combo, juggle, string, mind game, etc...

Note: You can free fall (or fast fall) mid air jump immediately>fire ball & receive less landing lag if you SJP'd to the ledge. Let go (or fast fall)>cape stall (either way)>fire ball ...etc...

-Sadly, Mario does have relatively low killing power...My suggestions for killing are being clever (actually thinking not auto pilot), Front Smash (f-smash) or Shutter Step Front Smash (SSFS), Up Smash (u-smash) which is an excellent bait for opponent(s) approaching from behind (keep in mind that you're able to bait with F.L.U.D.D. as well...Example: F.L.U.D.D. Charge>Shield>Up Smash OoS (by jumping>C-Stick up or control stick up+Attack button (A))...b-air (stringing opponents offstage), u-tilt (if nothing else works lol), maybe down smash (if you read their DI)...etc

Thanks for your time! Feel free to correct me (please explain & enlighten me) if you feel otherwise. :urg:, My fault for the wall of text.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Omari said he was new to smashboards. Big difference.
I didn't even remember that part.

The majority of what he's saying is 100% legit too.

I'd love to play you offline sometime Omari.

@ Boss: You tryna record friendlies at Nova's?

Omari

Smash Journeyman
I didn't even remember that part.

The majority of what he's saying is 100% legit too.

I'd love to play you offline sometime Omari.

@ Boss: You tryna record friendlies at Nova's?
Appreciate your support Boss, means much to me brah. (Going to help (teach) as many people as I can while learning new ****.)

Thanks Matador & offline seriouslies sounds like awesome-sauce.

Thanks Coolwhip for adding me friend.

Omari

Smash Journeyman
Boss (all Mario mains too), what's your opinion about Mario's F.L.U.D.D.? Mainly, how do you utilize this special while brawling?

Personally, my reasons for using F.L.U.D.D. are:

1. F.L.U.D.D. Induced Hit Lag (FIHL): Lagging airborne opponent(s) which can lead to punishing your opponent's whiff(s).

2. Spacing (GTFB move): When I find myself not thinking (& reacting) effectively, F.L.U.D.D. saves the day by giving me the elbow room I need to reset.

3. Mind games AKA ****ing With Your Head (FWYH): One of my occasional random moves I use to mainly condition my opponent(s) to think a certain way.

Some other great useful baits (traps) are:
1. Rolling around your opponent(s): Conditions them to become prepared for rolling punishes. How to counter this? Air them because smashers are less likely to punish rollers with airs. Think outside the box before you hit it but creative with how you punish their "punish". I believe there's good rolling opposed to rolling being thought of as a bad habit.

2. Spot dodging (in place): Conditions them to become prepared for spot dodging punishes. How to counter this? Wait. They'll most likely charge a smash (high percents) or attempt to set you up (low percents) by jabbing, tilting or airing for early knockouts.

3. Dash Dancing (spaced correctly): Confuses the **** out of them during a match. Conditions them to become prepared for running approach. How to counter this? Even though you're limited when you run, you still have a number of good options.

Here are some great running options:
1. Jump-Stops run but you're vulnerable to ANTi-airs (get it?) Air approaches!
Here are some of my b-air approaches while running with Mario. (Short hop (SH)>RAR, Ran past opponent (if afraid to get hit)>RAR, Full hop (FH)>RAR, FH over opponent (if afraid to get hit)>b-air, SH (fast fall (FF))>b-air>whatever you want (I highly recommend jab-cancel (low risk for being punished)), SH (over opponent) FF>b-air>whatever you want (again), SH>Cape (away if they shield (afraid to get hit))>FF b-air>whatever you want, SH>Cape (to them if they ANTi-air you, projectile or wait there>mid air jump or double jump (MAJ or DJ) over them>FF b-air...I can do this all day...:awesome:...mind you......this is not even all of the approaches Mario's capable of doing with just b-air.

2. Shield-Stops run but you're vulnerable to grabs (don't forget about your OoS options! ;))

3. Pivot-Stops run but leaves you're vulnerable for a few frames. You can bait with running back & forth for those who didn't know. Example: Run (stay out of their personal space)>pivot>run towards them again>pivot (let's say they whiff an attack)>run inside their personal space>d-air>u-air stringing isn't a bad start.

4. Special-stops run but you'll be in a world of hurt if your opponent(s) reads you (become predictable).

5. Quick Dash Attack (QDA) or Dash Attack in general-capable of leading to effective strings but be sure not to whiff.

*Back to baits*

4. Empty jumping (closing in on openings): Empty jumping alone can open up many doors for you. Mainly, spectate how your opponent responds to your jumping. Be sure not to make jumping (short hopping or full) become a habit as you will get punished for stupidity.

5. Walking (creating your own tempo): Simply by walking you can change the pace of a match. You can walk not only to avoid tripping but create air openings. What I mean is setting up a future juggle (u-air or b-air stringing perhaps...whatever you want...) on your opponent(s). You're 100% safe when you walk but be sure to know when its time to run.

*Back to F.L.U.D.D.*

4. Recovering (saving your Cape & mid air jump or double jump): You can F.L.U.D.D. back to safety without fast falling if you hold down on your control stick before you reach the apex of your jump or if you cape (& hold down on your control stick) before you exit the last few frames of Cape. IMO, F.L.U.D.D. towards your opponent(s) if they decide to become aggressive (aggro) while your offstage attempting to recover. This will re-position them more favorable to you. You can also F.L.U.D.D. towards the stage (but away from them) if they decide to become patient (mainly because they're planning to punish whatever you're about to do) while attempting to recover. Being that your back is turned, you're capable of even more options (b-air? For spacing) not to forget you still have your mid air jump & Cape to bait edge-hogs.

5. Pressuring opponent(s) (Making it rain on them (literally)): Have you ever attempted to pressure your opponent(s) with F.L.U.D.D.? PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO THEIR REACTIONS! Mainly, its an excellent tool to put your opponent(s) in panic mode. I'll give examples later. Try it if you think otherwise, I dare you to do so.

Thanks for your time Mario boards. Another wall of text...I'm trying to make it shorter, simpler & stronger but there's so much to know (& learn) about Mario Enlighten me if you feel otherwise (interested in hearing all views).

Calebyte

Smash Lord
Look out A2Z, here comes a new challenger. :laugh:

But seriously, I'm glad you're around Omari. Good stuff, will read later.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
Look out A2Z, omari knows his mario ish. @Omari: *Bro Fist* good to have you on board here.

boss8

Smash Hero
another thing i notice alot of mario mains do is bair someones shield.....jus leads to getting shield grabbed...

you all should do more fakeouts/empty jumps...its hella effective...

just act like your gonna bair and do a b reversed fireball...or empty jump and turn around nair them....basically mixups and creativity....

this helps from getting punished....

MP8

Smash Journeyman
What do you think about down grab or up tilt, take a few steps back followed by extended F-Smash? Is this effective?

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
My mind is ***** by emphasizing too many words. I also don't have time to read walls of text.

EDIT: Hey Boss, Bairing a shield can't be punished if you space it right and are moving (well, not by grabs anyway) in the opposite direction, so it's very useful for retreating. If you space it right most characters can't even shieldgrab you even if you aren't retreating.

But obviously there really isn't much reason to go into a shieldgrab, unless you go in with a bair and followup with a shieldpoke nair or something. I don't even know, maybe you could shieldpoke with a landing Dair, or you could just hit with Up-B like I do.

Top Bottom