• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Doc General Discussion: Ask and ye shall receive ft. otg and Shroomed!

Dogboy

Smash Apprentice
I played this guy in a tournament once... My only tournament.

Aside from being annoying with pills, and up grabbing for damage/ "combos" (smash does not have a ton of true combos) what are some techniques that I MUST know for The Doctor?
I am able to L cancel and Wavedash.
I am bad at di. I honsetly cannot do it right. It's pointing the c stick in the direction you are going or something right? Been a long time since I played a lot of this game.

(BTW, A dr mario/dr who picture- with the dr who actor editied out and doctor mario put in would be pretty funny.)

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
@Smooth: Na **** you. And it's funny cause you're pretty much gunna have to live with the fact that I woke up and mopped the floor with you kirby vs sheik. ^_^

@Ricky: D: at that thread. lol. I'd atleast go to tourneys and do commentary if going to tourneys didn't translate to me having to go to either NC or Orlando for it.

@OTG (or do we call you MAX?! now): It's still a possibility. It's been long and drawn out, I know, but it's still on the table. Andy's been straight, he's come over to my house a few times (surprised we havent hooked up more). Last time he came over we played some melee, but he's startin' to get crack addicted to Arcana Heart 3.

___

Honestly, I'll probably pal around here more because I kinda miss just posting on ANY forum.

Max?

Smash Champion
Dogy you can call me whatever you want. Move to the Bronx because the south is fake, and we'd be chilling more than you probably would like.

Also tell Andy to come back to NY already, because I'm sure wherever he is hanging out sucks in comparison to chilling with the real *****s.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
@Smooth: Na **** you. And it's funny cause you're pretty much gunna have to live with the fact that I woke up and mopped the floor with you kirby vs sheik. ^_^
Mother****er I ain't livin' with ****.

^

Next time we play and I make your Kirby little more than a pap smear, I'mma hand you that (been carrying it too long). Then I'm gonna **** your Doc that's prolly as rusty as a junked car.

Smooth Criminal

Shroomed

Smash Master
Guys, I think I played the best I ever played before yesterday in winner's semis and finals. Be prepared for ultra amazing ****.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer

Well, goddamn. You took the wind right out of my sails.

Just what the hell are you doing nowadays?

Smooth Criminal
Basically not playing melee cause GA has, in essense, dissolved into a dead state. Last time I did something for melee, I went up to NC to do commentary for one of their XS biweeklies. But ironically, I had to leave early because the people I was riding with "had to go" before finals started breaking out.

Beyond that, gaming wise, I play AE, MvC3, AH3, and MBAA, mainly. Play a bunch of stuff other stuff on the side, but those are the main games I play (although MBAA is practically dead because of USA not having access to MBAACC). I went to a tourney last week and did a bunch of commentary.

N64 came over two weeks ago and we both played melee for the first time in ages. That **** was hilarious. Fun like always, even though I haven't touched it since he left. There's some kids in my city who keep pestering me to play with them, but that never turns out well so I kinda shrug it off.

Other than that.... -shrug- nothing of any real merit or important. Waitin for kids to go back to school so I can (probably) go back to my last year of substitute teaching. I'm gunna come up with a scheme to get out of this area, smack into a solid job, and into a decent gaming community (yes that's fairly important to me. So I spend most of my days right now screwing around in the previously listed fighters (and a few more), bsing around in Zeit 2, Strania, and Trouble Witches NEO; making people ragequit Quake Arena Arcade, or currently losing years of life over how poorly designed Final Fantasy 13's battle system is. (which btw, FF13 is pretty good in everything that DOES NOT involve playing it. The battle system is *** and has some of the dumbest concepts ever)

Max?

Smash Champion
*watches recent shroomed matches*

I wish the people around here fell for WD -> Jab as free as you do it. Do people not know how to CC in Nor Cal or something?

Shroomed

Smash Master

I wish the people around here fell for WD -> Jab as free as you do it. Do people not know how to CC in Nor Cal or something?
It's pretty fast which is why it's so good. Even if they crouch cancel you can normally dsmash before they realize what's going on.

Ørn

Smash Journeyman
So I was watching PewPewU vs. Shroomed. Very good set, I liked how both parts played the matchup according to textbook, haha.

Shroomed (and any other Doc mains!), if possible, could you explain how and when you use spotdodges? I saw you (Shroomed) use it quite a bit in that video, which is why I'm asking.

I play Samus, but I'm trying to learn a bunch of characters including Doc. As you know, Samus has a pretty good spotdodge which I abused quite a bit when I initially started playing, but the better I got at the game (and the more experienced, really), the less I felt like I needed spotdodges. As such, my spotdodge use has only decreased over time (and I use it minimally now with any character - I rarely feel like I need it)

That being said, it's pretty obvious that spotdodges can you give you a bunch of advantages, especially if you have a feeling they're going to grab you or you see a predictable aerial or something like that, and I'm getting the feeling that there's a bunch of characters where it might not be a bad thing to spotdodge a bit more than usual.

So uh, tl;dr: Do you intentionally spotdodge that much vs. Marth or as Doc in general?

Max?

Smash Champion
Spotdodging too much is a bad thing, it's really **** sometimes tho. I def do it a lot vs. Marth.

Shroomed

Smash Master
So I was watching PewPewU vs. Shroomed. Very good set, I liked how both parts played the matchup according to textbook, haha.

Shroomed (and any other Doc mains!), if possible, could you explain how and when you use spotdodges? I saw you (Shroomed) use it quite a bit in that video, which is why I'm asking.

I play Samus, but I'm trying to learn a bunch of characters including Doc. As you know, Samus has a pretty good spotdodge which I abused quite a bit when I initially started playing, but the better I got at the game (and the more experienced, really), the less I felt like I needed spotdodges. As such, my spotdodge use has only decreased over time (and I use it minimally now with any character - I rarely feel like I need it)

That being said, it's pretty obvious that spotdodges can you give you a bunch of advantages, especially if you have a feeling they're going to grab you or you see a predictable aerial or something like that, and I'm getting the feeling that there's a bunch of characters where it might not be a bad thing to spotdodge a bit more than usual.

So uh, tl;dr: Do you intentionally spotdodge that much vs. Marth or as Doc in general?
I think spotdodge is really good for throwing off timing on L cancels. You can also punish most grabs if you spotdodge them.

I do spot dodge a lot vs marth because you can't do all that much against him.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
yo OTG I don't see you registered on the genesis 2 player list. where u at?

Max?

Smash Champion
Can't go now, I just spent my summer vacation money repairing my car :( Cost me over $500. We'll meet someday strong bad.... SOMEDAY

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
GOD ****ING DAMMIT
looks like it's just Shroomed for Genesis 2 docs then.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer

yup. i remember when IHSB and FMM both said they got scrapped by some shroomed FH N.air and I just stared at them.

__

oh, and @Strongbad
I remember somebody said they were gunna talk to some people about some things for Genesis2. OH WELL. :O

VGmasta

Smash Lord
Ganon's tough, but man is that matchup fun.
I troll Linguini all the time about how broken Ganon is vs Doc. Then I friendly his Doc against MY Ganon, and crushed him. Now, I'm gonna troll him forever, lol.
Fun matchup, yes.
Tough matchup, oh yeah.
Broken, not necessarily.... that's just me exaggerating at times

yup. i remember when IHSB and FMM both said they got scrapped by some shroomed FH N.air and I just stared at them.
That's absurd. I don't think Doc's n-air even trades with Fox's n-air.
I played Linguini in some seriouslies the other night, and the n-air never traded. Fox just flat out beat the n-air everytime. And I wasn't challenging the bad hitbox of the n-air either, it was the early part I was using. Doc's FH n-air has such a pathetic hitbox at the end of it.
What kinda drinks do you serve those ppl Shroomed, to make them run into FH n-airs all the time?!?

ppu vs shroomed was really weird
I though PewPewU started off playing that matchup amazingly perfect (which is amazingly g@y and campy). The retreating f-airs control Doc so much.

I say the only glaring fault I saw from PewPewU was his failed edgeguards. Not to knock Shroomed recovery tactics or anything, but that air-jump pill recovery worked wayy too often too many times in a row. That NEVER works for me that many times in that match up (or any matchup).

Shroomed lived over 200% several times, and of course, he capitalized on it.

I LOL so hard when Shroomed tried to combo Marth like he fighting a spacie or something. Marth is a floaty character with no hitstun and lagless attacks, and f-airs out of all of Doc's combos. So when Marth is in the air at 70% from up-tilt or d-throw, 3 or 4 up-airs is the BEST you can realistically hope for.
But this Shroomed's crazyass tried three up-airs -> f-air. I like "Yeah, this is DEFINITELY Shroomed playing right now, just throwing out of attacks" LOL.

But yeah, that Marth matchup, omg. It's a piece of work for Doc. <-----And that is NOT an exaggeration.

Niko45

Smash Master
Doc tends to live to 200% when you try to fair him to death. It's also hard to knock his edgeguard when the only move he's knocking doc off with is fair, which with good DI is going to leave doc with tons of recovery options.

Late fairing so methodically like that has huge holes and can be punished massively so I was like why the hell is he doing that but then shroomed responded by not ****** him for it and instead just continuing to throw pills until the fairs actually started hitting him so I was like......ok.

It just looked really clear PPU didn't really know how to play it but hung in there cause he's just really good in general. What was looking really obvious to me in the very beginning became clear once they got to YS and shroomed stopped spamming pills and letting fairs hit him and just went in and ***** him like he could have all day.

The earlier matches just looked like two good players being unnecessarily campy and not capitalizing on each other for being too timid.

SmashMac

Smash Lord
I have controller johns from the last tournament I went to, which was CEO 2011. Freaking analog-stick rubber came off in the middle of a friendly and I had to get used to it again, right before tournament! Why can't controllers just be perfectly optimized for the player and never mess up?! I hate feeding during tournament-recorded matches because of something stupid or another qq.

VGmasta

Smash Lord
I have controller johns from the last tournament I went to, which was CEO 2011. Freaking analog-stick rubber came off in the middle of a friendly and I had to get used to it again, right before tournament! Why can't controllers just be perfectly optimized for the player and never mess up?! I hate feeding during tournament-recorded matches because of something stupid or another qq.
Ah that sucks man. My controller is starting to get a really loose movestick. It makes me do a lot of accidental fullhops/airjumps which ruins everything.

Top Bottom