• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Doc General Discussion: Ask and ye shall receive ft. otg and Shroomed!

Gea

Smash Master
I used to cape misfires all the time. I always "expected" the misfire. If the blastzones are close they can hit the blastzone from the misfire.

Desh

Smash Ace
also, link and samus can grapple on japes. They just cant hang on their grapple.
Actually link can do some pretty creative things on japes with his hook shot, it actually becomes a viable move to use in a combo if you use it properly ;D
he can also move under the left and right plats with his grapple and do kind of a phantasm to them with it also.

Hard to explain what im saying.

But yeah. Samus can rising grapple too. Japes doesnt completely eliminate grapple as an option. It eliminates using grapple to recover low as an option D:
For obvious reasons such as, theres no where to grapple to except the ledge >_>

I take back what i said about hookshot being 'viable'.
Its more like something no one will expect, and isnt as punishable when used correctly on japes. Theres surely better things to be doing:p

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Hey guys. I am picking up Doc for teams. Is there any threads or discussion about Doc in teams you can point me to?
[jokes]What the f**K you doin around here?![/jokes]

But there isnt like, a specific place per say, there's just information kinda spread out here and there. We're kinda random around here. Infact, you can find some stuff if you look on the first few pages of this thread because that's what it originally started as (A doc in teams discussion).

Some of our views have changed from person to person, but the general idea is still the same.

__

The one thing you need to know about teams is that doc's edgeguarding is above par. So you want to work with your partner to get you setups for cape. More often than not, you want them covering the high option since you cant do that very well, and you want them to do stuff to force a second jump.

If your opponent(s) are coming low or are looking to go for the ledge, you want to be the guy edgehogging. That way, you can still control that area w/ capes w/o putting your partner at a huge risk. If the situation pans out to where you're on the stage, you can still cape, but your partner just has to be mindful to move so they dont get caped off the ledge.

Beyond that, b.air like a champion.

__

and a random question, did you go to herb? I heard you did but never saw you.

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
[jokes]What the f**K you doin around here?![/jokes]

Hey just because my character doesn't have a PHD doesn't mean I can't learn about the good doctor.

But there isnt like, a specific place per say, there's just information kinda spread out here and there. We're kinda random around here. Infact, you can find some stuff if you look on the first few pages of this thread because that's what it originally started as (A doc in teams discussion).

Some of our views have changed from person to person, but the general idea is still the same.

__

The one thing you need to know about teams is that doc's edgeguarding is above par. So you want to work with your partner to get you setups for cape. More often than not, you want them covering the high option since you cant do that very well, and you want them to do stuff to force a second jump.

If your opponent(s) are coming low or are looking to go for the ledge, you want to be the guy edgehogging. That way, you can still control that area w/ capes w/o putting your partner at a huge risk. If the situation pans out to where you're on the stage, you can still cape, but your partner just has to be mindful to move so they dont get caped off the ledge.

Beyond that, b.air like a champion.

__

and a random question, did you go to herb? I heard you did but never saw you.

Thanks for the info. Now I need to find a reliable partner to try out some doc stuff.

I didn't make it to Herb. I was at the first Herb. Apparently if I had gone I would have gotten a ticket or arrested. That and my out of region performance has been pretty terrible recently.

TemPesT-

Smash Lord
Just a quick idea i had while messing around with doc. it's pretty funny I think... k so has anyone ever taunt canceled into bair stage spike vs an opponent? I'm gonna keep trying to pull it off but I haven't had a chance to try it vs real opponents yet. it's like the ultimate bi-- slap vs the opponent.

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
haha, I try to do that alot, but off of platforms and into any aerial. It makes me feel cool.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Just a quick idea i had while messing around with doc. it's pretty funny I think... k so has anyone ever taunt canceled into bair stage spike vs an opponent? I'm gonna keep trying to pull it off but I haven't had a chance to try it vs real opponents yet. it's like the ultimate bi-- slap vs the opponent.
Sounds like epic lols.

Im sooooo gunna try that now.

Desh

Smash Ace
Lol shbawl> up b cancel is lols too XD
but omg i just tried the taunt cancel thing . looks hilarious XD

edit: oh and on people who neutral di in a cg, rising nado LOL.
that **** looks funny.
actually, on yoshis, if a falcon recovers to the platform(or is trying) stay below it, then you can cape, and if hes going for the plat, rising nado will hit him pretty far off. LOL.

Desh

Smash Ace
yeah you def. can. I swear some of the silly things you can do with link on that stage are awesome =D its like falco or some**** XD

Edit: kay i recorded a quick vid on my cam of it.
Although, i cant do some of the stuff my friend 4serial does lol.
And he does this stuff i recorded better than me. It doesnt even look how i do it O_o ...but you'll get the general idea lol.

First time i tried to do that stuff johns. >_>

edit; 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nksqn3PnAmE

>________> lol@falcondeath

DRD

Smash Lord
High tier doc, leave it to dogy and waffles

hmw's doc is definitely underrated imo

edit: Dogy you're thinking about kongo jungle

2edit: lol 4 people already answered

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
I said Kj64, but no, i was talking about japes.

But no, I didnt know you could grapple on japes. Never seen it. If grapple is my problem against samus/link, i default to KJ64.

Desh

Smash Ace
Yeah no lie, boss doesnt miss anything >_> its ridiculous. Hes like the armada of mario/doc or some ****.
He covers every possible option when hes edgegaurding you DX.
and hes so in your face and consistent. blah.

[/fanboy] lol.

BigTestedCoals

Smash Rookie
I'm just starting to main Doc...

i was watching some vids of shroomed and i saw him do some up+b walltech cancel to another up+b... just wondering how he did that

SpruceTengu

Smash Journeyman
Favorite doc? Eeh. Not easy.

Can I pick several?

Of course you can, Spruce, don't be silly.

Okay. In that case: HMW, Smashmac, Eighteenspikes, Captain Jack, Dogy

I haven't watched enough Boss. I really should get on that.

SpruceTengu

Smash Journeyman
Samus advice:

1) You cant dunk her. Ever. However, "check" it atleast once because some samus' just dont know this.
etc. etc. etc. truncated message

<3 Thank you Dogy.

More specific question-- Punishing excessive Bomb-jump aerials/mindgame? The last 3 good samuses i've run up against have done alot of that business, and my only viable tactic has been waiting outside, because every time I let my impulsiveness get the best of me I get D'aired into some unhappy coupla hits that ends up racking me up some damage.

Any advice on how to punish use of this method in excess?

Many thanks.

Top Bottom