• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Doc General Discussion: Ask and ye shall receive ft. otg and Shroomed!

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
lol i should scour my external for all the friendlies vids where i jump into a warlock punch for no ****in reason. im good like that sometimes

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
lol. You should duck one.

If you're past his elbow, you can just flat out duck warlock punch. Pretty comical.

Casually walk in, duck it, and then u.smash -> f.air.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
So yeah, wanna know what I just realized? UpB cancel is maaaaaaaad easy.

Is you face on way, upB slightly up the way you aren't facing, and then go straight down (7B->3 in keypad notation), it's really easy. As in, once I realized this (I was trying some other method, and got it like this, and was able to replicate it 13 times in a row, rather than the 2 or so tries out of the 20 I had attempted before). On a related note, mah friend took his gamecube back, so that I couldn't practice this outta shield....:/

otg

Smash Master
I'm sort of confused as to your explanation on this one Viers. I mean, if this is as easy as you say it is, I might actually learn upB cancel, but in general I still feel regular old UpB is better in almost everyway.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
Um, I know there is a thread about this, but I may as well ask here.

Besides damage, what benefit is there of an upB over an up B cancel? I know a major argument is that the upB cancel is hard, and punishable if messed up. However, besides that, people don't use up B to rack up damage, so that isn't better. The full up B may not get the final hitbox, meaning that the opponent recovers before you.

With platforms, it's better, as you're safer, but still not as safe as a canceled up B... I mean, if you edgecancel the up B and get a b-air combo, I guess that's good, but I'm pretty sure none of y'all practice the spacing for that, so...

So the simplest explanation:

1. Stand facing right.

2. Up B as if you were doing a reverse up B (on a clock face, around 10:30)

3. Bring the analog stick straight down (not to the down notch, but straight down from where you positioned the stick for upB)

4. You've done it, and are still facing right

If you try it and are missing something, just hit me up on aim or something XD

Again, I got mad excited, and then had to give up the cube, so I may be misremembering a detail/step, but I doubt it, because I was shocked at how much easier it was than I had thought, and shocked at the regularity I could pull it off with. (and also shocked that it didn't make me turn to face left.

otg

Smash Master
Word, I'll give it a try the next time I play against someone. If I have any questions I'll just hit you up on AIM. As for reasons regular upB is better than upB cancel, at least for me I like being able to land on/thru platforms, change my direction and be mobile. If you wiff a upb cancel, you're just sitting there in windown lag for like 20 minutes... not very good.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
every single up b cancel I do is from 8 to 3 on keypad notation, no matter what way I'm facing. it's not rocket science, just timing :p

up b is better because it's easier, does more damage, and has other practical applications. It lets you get out of combos, and it can be EXTREMELY useful for getting off a ledge (gotta be extra careful not to get hit out of it tho). So I'd rather just use up-b all the time instead of perfecting the tech and then worrying about when to use what up-b...

St. Viers

Smash Champion
^^but if you get the cancel, you are *much* more mobile than in a full upB. Also, you know they'll only get hit by one hitbox, which has decent knockback--as opposed to a full upB, that can be SDI'ed out of/or simply not hit by the final hitbox, making for weak knockback and low stun.

@18s: I'm not saying there's no use for upB. I just think that there are def situations where doing the cancel is a much better option than the upB, and in some cases doc's best and only option. Also, I've started using upB on platforms now, as it's just mad easy to cancel of the edge unless you are in the exact edge or center XD--making it good for more than just getting off the platform.

Also, I have **** tech skill, and can pull off the way I said, without even being that fast--it's much slower than fingerspeed needed for good waveshines...

Vulcan55

Smash Lord
wat.
Up-B cancels are way harder than waveshines.

EDIT: @ hmw
My first thought is not to waveland onto the stage, but honestly I don't know.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
vulcan: did you try the method I posted? I find it much easier than *good* waveshines.

@HMW: yeah, that's mad frustrating. From the video, it looks like there might be holes, but I can't say, not being able to test it...perhaps having jabbed/uptilted the first time, when you successfully got up. Letting him get you back on the ledge (after which he started using b-air better) was the first mistake I saw. After that, it looked like he gave you enough room that you coulda ledgehopped a pill, regrabbed, and then ledgedashed (although I don't think it woulda worked unless the fox was following a routine pattern that he may have gotten caught up in). Also, less perfect ledgedashing, simply ledgehopping up w/o the wd may have worked--if he was spacing for the dash, you'd be able to do something, and if not, you could try n-air, u-air, d-air, up, or something depending on how he approached. Again, I'm sure fox has options to cover all those, so not too helpful.

Also, when you got sent to the other side of the stage, using d-air woulda prevented him from jabbing you onto the ledge again. After he finally let you get back on, I know that you know you shoulda not f-thrown him, so I won't go into details on that.

otg

Smash Master
can anyone help me out with this

when i waveland back on the stage vs fox

how do i aviod this b-air

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVkSU-NyBsA#t=4m14s

pretty much any decent fox does it, and eventually i get hit lol
I noticed two things. He was doing FH bairs while you were just sitting in your shield. You could've probably rolled in towards the stage or just flat out wd oos and just got right past him. The other thing was the only times I saw you get hit by a bair was when you went for a grab, which I know is tempting especially in those situations, but if you're trying to be safe that's just leaving yourself open all day.

This is assuming of course, that you've succesfully WDed back onto stage and got your shield up in time.

Shroomed

Smash Master
uair from the ledge or sumthin

if he's hella far waitin 4 the dash, it'll let u get on the stage

if he's close, time/space it right and you can hit him too

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend

If you observe closely, you actually did avoid it at like 4:20. You merely failed yourself in the following action by trying to shield-grab him when it was a bad time to do so. And then you panicked and retreated to the edge, putting yourself in a bad position all over again.

This happened a bunch of other times, and was the source of much of the punishment Lucky got on you during that part of the match.

Stop trying to shield grab the spaced Fox >_<

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Um, I know there is a thread about this, but I may as well ask here.

Besides damage, what benefit is there of an upB over an up B cancel? I know a major argument is that the upB cancel is hard, and punishable if messed up. However, besides that, people don't use up B to rack up damage, so that isn't better. The full up B may not get the final hitbox, meaning that the opponent recovers before you.

With platforms, it's better, as you're safer, but still not as safe as a canceled up B... I mean, if you edgecancel the up B and get a b-air combo, I guess that's good, but I'm pretty sure none of y'all practice the spacing for that, so...

So the simplest explanation:

1. Stand facing right.

2. Up B as if you were doing a reverse up B (on a clock face, around 10:30)

3. Bring the analog stick straight down (not to the down notch, but straight down from where you positioned the stick for upB)

4. You've done it, and are still facing right

If you try it and are missing something, just hit me up on aim or something XD

Again, I got mad excited, and then had to give up the cube, so I may be misremembering a detail/step, but I doubt it, because I was shocked at how much easier it was than I had thought, and shocked at the regularity I could pull it off with. (and also shocked that it didn't make me turn to face left.

Huh? I always have been doing it like that. You know, reverse upb and hit the opposite direction from there asap. :] Or did I miss something entirely?

otg

Smash Master
If you observe closely, you actually did avoid it at like 4:20. You merely failed yourself in the following action by trying to shield-grab him when it was a bad time to do so. And then you panicked and retreated to the edge, putting yourself in a bad position all over again.

This happened a bunch of other times, and was the source of much of the punishment Lucky got on you during that part of the match.

Stop trying to shield grab the spaced Fox >_<
Exactly, I saw a number of times where you could've just gotten right past him, but you were scared and either ran back to the edge, putting yourself back into that ****ty position.

In other news, WHAT'S REALLY GOOD DOC CONFERENCE?!

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer

Waveland -> roll
waveland -> spotdodge
waveland -> shield
waveland -> -attack-
Ledgehop -> pill (and stay on ledge)
Ledgehop -> pill onto stage
Ledgehop -> Cape
Ledgehop -> up+b
Ledgehop onto the corner of the stage (into stuff)
Stall for a LONG time before you move.

I guarantee if $mac saw this, he'd tell you to waveland -> u.smash or waveland -> u.tilt.

Shroomed's crazy *** would somehow manage to get a ledgehop -> f.air to work.

18s would do ledgehop -> up+b.

DJN would stall forever, and then waveland roll.

I'd throw a few pills to get him to stop b.airing for a second.

___

You got a problem on the ledge? There's we gotta app. for that.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
I need to partake in a Doc conference. Either I can't combo well with him, or he can't combo. This is like... life or death. I NEED TO COMBO PEOPLE, OR ELSE I'M SWITCHING TO FALCO AND JIGGZ!

otg

Smash Master
Hilariously enough, we concluded last night that Doc doesn't have any legit "combos", it's all DI dependant. He has follow ups for every form of DI (to some extent) vs. various characters, but true death combos? No.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Hilariously enough, we concluded last night that Doc doesn't have any legit "combos", it's all DI dependant. He has follow ups for every form of DI (to some extent) vs. various characters, but true death combos? No.
SOoooooo

All he has are like... 2-3 pieces, into techchase stuff?

Cuz that's all I can nail, esp if they hard DI away/up (depending on char).

It's really annoying. I wanna combo people. If I wanted to have to reaaaad, I'd play Barwl.

...ornot.

But still, I want to put the hurt on *****es. Is that just beyond Doc's capabilities?

otg

Smash Master
SOoooooo

All he has are like... 2-3 pieces, into techchase stuff?

Cuz that's all I can nail, esp if they hard DI away/up (depending on char).

It's really annoying. I wanna combo people. If I wanted to have to reaaaad, I'd play Barwl.

...ornot.

But still, I want to put the hurt on *****es. Is that just beyond Doc's capabilities?
That's not it, you just have to be realistic with how you go about dealing with your opponents. You shouldn't even be trying to juggle the balls off people, you should be trying to get them off stage as quickly as ****ing possible.

VGmasta

Smash Lord

Waveland -> roll
waveland -> spotdodge
waveland -> shield
waveland -> -attack-
Ledgehop -> pill (and stay on ledge)
Ledgehop -> pill onto stage
Ledgehop -> Cape
Ledgehop -> up+b
Ledgehop onto the corner of the stage (into stuff)
Stall for a LONG time before you move.

I guarantee if $mac saw this, he'd tell you to waveland -> u.smash or waveland -> u.tilt.

Shroomed's crazy *** would somehow manage to get a ledgehop -> f.air to work.

18s would do ledgehop -> up+b.

DJN would stall forever, and then waveland roll.

I'd throw a few pills to get him to stop b.airing for a second.

___

You got a problem on the ledge? There's we gotta app. for that.
LOL, Dogy knows the Doc mains' playstyles so well.

otg

Smash Master
So I've officially come to the conclusion that Mario does better than Doc in the following matchups, AND ONLY the following matchups:

Sheik, Falcon

Ganon is a maybe, tho I think that Mario and Doc's specific advantages over the other are both effective on ganon equally, so it probably comes down to preference.

I origionally put Marth, but I think that matchup comes down to preference as well.

otg

Smash Master
but I'm so sexy tho. Nah you guys are right, I commented on it in the youtube vid. I just do it a lot under pressure, tho I was doing it waaaaay too much with Fox. With Doc it's not as bad. Still tho, sexyness. Don't be hatin

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
It makes you embarrassed for you and the character you use, who is Doc. :[

Well I feel that way I don't know about you guys.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
I actually do feel pretty embarrassed lookin at it :embarrass

he.. he doesn't look like that in melee... does he? :( :urg: :embarrass :embarrass

Top Bottom