• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Doc General Discussion: Ask and ye shall receive ft. otg and Shroomed!

otg

Smash Master
Fighting floaties with Doc is an artform. You're either good at it or you're not. I don't mind Peach/Jiggs/Samus but I HATE HATE HATE luigi. Can't stand fighting him although I have gotten better at it recently.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
ugh **** yall who say puff is easy or w/e. at a tourney yesterday i beat chexr's marth and falco, then lost winners finals game 5 to a sheik, then got 0-3'ed by chexr's puff in losers finals :( **** sheik and puff. on the plus side I actually beat TripleR's kirby so that's one matchup I am slowly improving on.
Correct me if I'm wrong, don't you hate throwing pills?

Last I checked you did, and last I checked you hated camping (Unless, for some ungodly reason, it involves MKII).

>.>

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
naw pills are awesome. i throw them a lot now. ever since that set with rat I realized i gotta camp more. MKII is banned in mw now though :(

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
ACTUALLY. FoD and DK64 are amazing doc stages vs some chars. dk64 sucks vs puff though lol. the new stagelist is worth it anyways because Corneria is banned too. thank god. but yea dl64 > fod > dk64 is now my trifecta of counterpicks

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
naw pills are awesome. i throw them a lot now. ever since that set with rat I realized i gotta camp more. MKII is banned in mw now though :(
Yeah, that's what it takes to beat jiggs. You don't specifically have to camp jiggs, persay, but you need a lot of pills.

That controls where jiggs can go.

So chuck them ****s like shotos chuck plasma.

__

As for a guide update, I actually did the yoshi section today. I think I'm gunna try to tackle another top/high tier tonight. Or I might do 2 more lowtiers.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
idk all i did was spam utilts and then look for a dsmash. that took him to 1 stock all 3 games. my big mistake was trying to do ANYTHING but roll away when he hit my shield

VGmasta

Smash Lord
Fighting floaties with Doc is an artform. You're either good at it or you're not. I don't mind Peach/Jiggs/Samus but I HATE HATE HATE luigi. Can't stand fighting him although I have gotten better at it recently.
Those matchups are fun. I'd consider the Peach/Jiggs matchup vs Doc even if they didn't have so much priority, range, and knockback in their attacks. Plus their recovery is wayyy better than Doc's which makes it nearly impossible to gimp them. They both live at absurd percents unless you can miraculously connect a f-air or fsmash. If the Jiggs is good at missing Rests, then it's evenish/advantaged for Doc, lol.

Otg, who's the Luigi that you battle?!

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
ugh **** yall who say puff is easy or w/e. at a tourney yesterday i beat chexr's marth and falco, then lost winners finals game 5 to a sheik, then got 0-3'ed by chexr's puff in losers finals :( **** sheik and puff. on the plus side I actually beat TripleR's kirby so that's one matchup I am slowly improving on.
wut?

dthrow > dair is liek... a billion percent

Cape her well spaced WOP just once for 12%

Pill or two to get that last little bit of damage.

Dthrow fair to kill at like... 50-60%. 40% on YS, maybe lower, but I'm too scurred to try.

Unless they're smart

idk all i did was spam utilts and then look for a dsmash. that took him to 1 stock all 3 games. my big mistake was trying to do ANYTHING but roll away when he hit my shield
Your big mistake was also spamming utilt.

mmhmm

nah, utilt's tight.

Mostly just crewmates (in particular my boy Tuna who has the best pichu in the world according to the Pichu boards), but I played vs. Pakman at ROM and he was giving me the annoying annoying business. It's just a matchup that really pisses me off, I don't have the patience for it.
Who's Pakman?

SDSG NEEDS TO GO OUT AND SHOW THE WORLD WHAT A REAL LUIGI ISSSSSSSSSS

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

EDIT:

Second the opinion that fighting Luigi is lame. The hardest part is playing so **** boring.

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
note the "if i get moeny" part. does it sound like i'm ballin' right now? haha

i don't have money to throw away, y'know.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
haha
c'mon, you know it's true.
giving up a grab is a big deal in almost any match up.

if there's a way to avoid getting grabbed, anyone "good" should be doing it.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
yo doc boards wuz good!!! xD
Not you.

:D

<3

grabbing jiggs, LOL, good one
Imma hafta teach you kids some things.

Just fair the ***** if she's jumping around like she owns the place.

Nah, unsound advice is unsound.

But srsly, ***** ain't that hard for Doc. Then again, I haven't played Mango in like... a week.

Or ever. =(

Anyway, found out how dumb Doc's usmash and utilt are. Btw, do we have any move we can use for jab resets? I thought cape worked, but it didn't. =(

EDIT:

ALSO!

If they don't DI, at 60% you can dthrow utilt falcon, and the utilt will pop him straight up for regrab/combo. You can training mode combo him for 4 utilts, if the Falcon is being stubborn and not DIing.

OR

You can do dthrow utilt fsmash

Legit combo in training mode.

Lololol, now I have my go-to combos for people that don't DI. Next stop, shuffle city!

EDIT 2:

haha

I should go to Cali, then. Seems this Silent Spectre guy sucks, if Shroomed keeps gettin' grabs off on him. I could totally take all of them.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
haha

No, see. My point is that if that's "true" like people say it is, then a character's grab and grab game should mean absolutely nothing.

That's one of the most comical concepts ever in melee smash.

This game doesn't have throw breaks.

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
so yea, falcon is harder than spacies =/

i don't understand how to approach marths. I find myself randomly throwing pills that get batted away and doing some sh waveland trixies that never work and I end up just randomly jumping in with a sh nair and hoping I didn't faired/naired/fsmashed back out. Match up is dumb.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
so yea, falcon is harder than spacies =/

i don't understand how to approach marths. I find myself randomly throwing pills that get batted away and doing some sh waveland trixies that never work and I end up just randomly jumping in with a sh nair and hoping I didn't faired/naired/fsmashed back out. Match up is dumb.
Approaching Marth: Dogy's Edition v.1.

Approaching Marth is like playing Rock, Paper, Scissors. You make a guess, he makes a guess. You guess right, you get in. He guesses right, you don't.

Now, while you're tools wind up being rock, paper, and scissors, marth actually rock, win, and scissors. He can actually chose to give you a fair fight with rock and scissors, or he can just keep throwing win until he can't throw in anymore (read: till he's at the ledge), in which case he's got to make a guess.

__

Approaching Marth: Dogy's Edition v.2.

You ever watch Price is Right? Yes? Kool. No? GTFO.

Well, ya know the game Plinko?

Approaching Marth is like playing Plinko (the actual play, not the guessing **** to get the chips).

It's like, you start the game by wanting to approach marth (that's dropping the chip), then you go through all sorts of backflips and sidekicks and what-have-you on your way to marth. In the end, you'll either fall down into the money (you're in), or a $0 (you dont). The difference here is that Marth's Plinko board has like, seven $0 and two money spots.

One of those money spots is smaller than your **** plinko chip.

____

EDIT:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OT78Wmi_3UU&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OT78Wmi_3UU&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

1:44 - Oh we gotta jank on this guy right here.

This 18spikes character who thinks that he needs to run and help flashing foxes like it's a nintendo game or something. XD

otg

Smash Master
LMAO at that vid you posted of 18. I don't know whats worse:

That fox thinking that charging a usmash randomly was a good idea or 18 actually running into it from across stage. BRILLIANT>

How should I tech chase fast fallers. I have some ideas, but I want to hear from the people here.
It depends on what you are trying to do. If you're in a position for a CG or close to throw kobe %, you might want to look for a grab. If he's at high % you might want to consider tech chasing with one of your finishers (fsmash/dsmash for twoards you or in place, and fair/bair for DI tech roll away). Also, you cna set up gimps if you're tech chasing by the edge through a finisher or a grab, so it really depends on the circumstance.

Thats just me tho, maybe someone has a different/better method.

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
No, see. My point is that if that's "true" like people say it is, then a character's grab and grab game should mean absolutely nothing.

That's one of the most comical concepts ever in melee smash.

This game doesn't have throw breaks.
i get what you mean, but that's like saying you shouldn't know how to punish a missed rest from puff.
if they were "good" they're most likely not going to do a failed rest, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try to punish it.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
LOL wtf, idk, i dont even remember that happening. he already got gimped 4 times, i guess i got horny for him being immobile and on the edge

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
All the **** you did in that video got overshadowed by you running into the light.

Cause I was hoping you had like, some super plan. But no, jumping into fox upsmashes. That's what's hot up north, eh?

Freeze frame upsmash.

Shroomed

Smash Master
no lie 18s, that was the stupidest thing i've ever seen anyone do lmao

that ganondorf shoulda picked a better teammate

that fox got DESTROYED

Top Bottom