• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Doc General Discussion: Ask and ye shall receive ft. otg and Shroomed!

Grunt

Smash Master
i always DI fair straight up if it's already going to kill me. it looks cooler to go in the complete opposite direction as his arm.

otg

Smash Master
So that broken Doc technique that I was talking about works, but I need someone to help test it with me because I don't have a human being to try it out with right now. If someone is going to be playing with someone else in the near future, post it here and we can AIM chat to test it out.

If not, I'll post my results tomorrow or tuesday after I test it with a human.

mallu000

Smash Cadet
My friend reminded me of Sheik`s gayness. I lost some thing like 90% of the matches in four hours and usually I`m the one winning. *Mental breakdown*

Maybe I should use Mario more or just take a break from the game. At least I won all the Falcon dittos and my friend will upload some of the matches in youtube.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
^^sheik really isn't that bad a matchup (in my eyes). What was your friend doing that you couldn't get past?

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Funny thing. Guy I was playing used Sheik to see if he could go her vs me in tournament.

First match vs my Doc was close. 1 stock, my favour.
2nd match I told him aboot CGing Doc, he went lolwhut, and then I 3 stocked his Sheik.

Moral of the story?

Don't get hit! Or grabbed. :D

Or ccdtilt>ftilt>whatever

=(

So that broken Doc technique that I was talking about works, but I need someone to help test it with me because I don't have a human being to try it out with right now. If someone is going to be playing with someone else in the near future, post it here and we can AIM chat to test it out.

If not, I'll post my results tomorrow or tuesday after I test it with a human.
Messaging you nao.

EDIT:

You weren't on. Can you PM me it, or something? Imma be playing today, so I could test it for you.

otg

Smash Master
Vulcan just provided some very sick info for me, and I'm waiting on Zeal. I could use some more opinions and some other characters because as of right now Vulcan's got me on Fox, Falco, Sheik. I'll be on aim for a few more hours, so feel free to msg me.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
lol otg. You definitely coulda told me and i'da tried it this weekend. I pretty much played melee the entire weekend.

I got a ****ing double dunk in teams and that **** didnt get recorded.

I love how nothing good of me ever gets recorded. XD

mallu000

Smash Cadet
^^sheik really isn't that bad a matchup (in my eyes). What was your friend doing that you couldn't get past?
Just normal F-tilt and Up-tilt ****, usually KO with a F-air. Dash attacks also proved to be difficult for me to avoid/counter. I think I just need more experience against sheik.

Sadly we didn`t record those matches but there is one in youtube where I use Mario against his Luigi. That`s from the same day.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6TFsX2vjZ4

I think he has some Doc vs Falco/Marth in his computer. I should ask him to upload them too even tough I lost every match with Doc. That really bugs me.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
Welcome to the club. I have like 100+ matches recorded with mogwai that are just sitting on his harddrive somewhere...... I should try and convince him to put some up or give some to me so I can put up/put em in a combo vid.
i have told you like 50,000,000 times that I don't put friendlies up and that you can have any footage of yourself that you want, you just have to bring a hard drive over.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
OTG, it works, but doesn't.

Like, Doc pretty much says "NO" to ccing.

Buuuuuut his jab reset isn't real.

I dunno, though. I got it to work a few times, but I think that was mainly my opponent messing up. Still, using it to bust a CC is beautiful.

ALSO!

Vs Marth

If he's doing fair spam, you can beat it with dsmash. The trick is to BARELY duck under the bottom part of the fair's tipper, and dsmash. Doc ducks it, and nails him. Spacing is tricky, but I pulled it off about 10 times in the space of an hour. Coulda done more, but the guy stopped playing Marf after a while.

I was on fire last night, till I smokeded. 3 stocks magically happened, I dun even know how. Like... I'd see Marth getting ready to take to the air. If I suspected nair, I'd just get there first with a dair/uair/whatever. Sometimes I'd drop on top of him with fair. If I expected double fair, I'd run in and either try for my dsmash trick, or wd in between the two fairs and jab>dsmash/grab, or utilt between the fairs, oorrrrrrr if he was being REALLY predictable, I'd wd in before fair started and fsmash Marth's hand as it came down.

Doc has ******** mobility. I need to fight a better Marth (read: one that tippers more), but I'm honestly starting to feel like I can do this match-up pretty well.

Falcon still bothers me, but usmash OoS helps a LOT. Get that grab, and GGs.

I had so many comebacks at the last minute, too. Falcon up by 3 stock, and then I'd get a jab, which lead to grab/dsmash tech-chase>grab, and that pretty much sealed the stock. Playing on point like that really makes my day.

Buuuuuuuut, I've decided I need to pressure Falcon's shield less. If I jab too much, he just knees OoS, and that **** hurts. Or dair, if he expects me to do something like a grab/smash. =(

ALSO, DOC HAS A ******** SIDE-STEP! COMBINE IT WITH DSMASH FOR HILARITY!

Seriously, I'd sidestep tipper-ranged double fairs until he either gave up, or messed up the spacing. Then, sure enough, duck fair>dsmash ftw. Or angled up fsmash, if I had enough time.

Caping Falcon works pretty well, for some reason. Just don't do it to the knee.

AND WITH ALL THAT SAID, I DEPART!

MaDWaK

Smash Journeyman
ok hold up. I cant do anything Oos. in order to do anything Oos do you have to jump or JC then do it? Im having lots of trouble doing anything Oos besides like, Up B'ing.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Geh? Double fair spam is pretty stupid, on that Marth's part.

You can double stick up to usmash out of shield. C-stick comes second, anywhere between one and four frames, I think, after the control stick goes up.

Alternately you can release the shield and hit up and A at the same time. You have to release shield though, otherwise you'll end up doing a jump cancel grab out of... shield.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Doc has ******** mobility. I need to fight a better Marth (read: one that tippers more), but I'm honestly starting to feel like I can do this match-up pretty well.
His ground mobility is pretty good, and that's it. And dont be mislead, it actually isnt that great because wavedashing is involved.

It's not bad by any stretch, he's the 3rd/4th character going down the tierlist who gets a huge benefit from his wavedash (the other 3 being marth, IC, samus, in respect to tierlist order)

ALSO, DOC HAS A ******** SIDE-STEP! COMBINE IT WITH DSMASH FOR HILARITY!

Seriously, I'd sidestep tipper-ranged double fairs until he either gave up, or messed up the spacing. Then, sure enough, duck fair>dsmash ftw. Or angled up fsmash, if I had enough time.

AND WITH ALL THAT SAID, I DEPART!
1) Doc's sidestep speed is standard. It's the same as sheiks for all the drephan lovers out there.

2) Keep trying to cape knee till you find somebody who doesnt give 2 ****s about the concept of spacing, and just jumps slam in with a knee. You'll cape it and still get kneed, and you wont rely on it much.

I mean, you actually could set up a horribly dumb gimmick with it. The gimmick being "If you space well, im going to cape and punish. If you space poorly, im just going to block."

ok hold up. I cant do anything Oos. in order to do anything Oos do you have to jump or JC then do it? Im having lots of trouble doing anything Oos besides like, Up B'ing.
I like dropping the shield -> up + a.

Mike G

███████████████ 100%
BRoomer
lol otg. You definitely coulda told me and i'da tried it this weekend. I pretty much played melee the entire weekend.

I got a ****ing double dunk in teams and that **** didnt get recorded.

I love how nothing good of me ever gets recorded. XD
Well, if you played in singles this weekend...

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
If i'da played singles, no good **** of me STILL would have gotten recorded. That's how it ALWAYS goes.

and WTF ARE YOU DOING IN MY THREAD ANY MR G.

VGmasta

Smash Lord
I need to fight a better Marth (read: one that tippers more), but I'm honestly starting to feel like I can do this match-up pretty well.

Marth?! I hate Marths :mad:

Caping Falcon definitely works if he is spamming spaced n-airs attacks! (it will be out of your grab range, but you can still cape the sucker, heehee)

who's drephan?
I think Drephen was a well-known Sheik main.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Doc's spot dodge is like... class A. Marth and such have slower ones.

We won't speak of Falcon's.
m2k's stat list said:
Dodge Ratings - Here's a list I made of everyone's dodge ratings, statistically proven with frames counts on the frames of the dodge that you're ALWAYS invincible to ALL attacks. The number on the left half of the fraction is the amount of frames you're actually dodging (in other words, how many frames you're invincible and can't be harmed) while the number on the right half of the fraction is the total time that the dodge lasts. The percent of the dodge that you're ALWAYS invincible is written in a percent, and a ..... means it's a repeating decimal. Note: almost all of the dodges start on frame 2, so in other words, for most of the dodges when you start them, you can only be hit the FIRST frame of the dodge. Some characters, like Captain Falcon and Zelda, start their invincible part of the dodge on the 3rd frame, and Bowser starts his on the 4th frame. Note that for 99% of attacks, Zelda is invincible for the 2nd frame + (but certain explosion moves can hit her on the 3rd frame of the move so it still counts as starting it on the 3rd frame)

---Go here for more information about dodging: http://smashboards.com/showthread.ph...089#post493089

63.6363.....% or 14/22 - Dr. Mario / Falco / Fox / Kirby / Link / Luigi / Mario / Pichu / Pikachu / Samus / Sheik / Yoshi / Young Link

62.962962.....% or 17/27 - Ice Climbers / Marth / Ness / Peach / Roy

59.459459.....% or 22/37 - DK

59.375% or 19/32 - Ganondorf

56.25% or 18/32 - Captain Falcon / Zelda

54.054054.....% or 20/37 - Mewtwo

51.88888.....% or 14/27 - Jigglypuff

50% or 21/42 - Bowser

34.375% or 11/32 - Mr. Game and Watch
What I want you to note in this is that, although capfal has a slower spotdodge overall, he has more frames of invinc than average.

Better or worse? Pick your poison, kinda depends on what you're dodging/how you react.

Regardless, Capfal doesnt have the worst one no matter how you slice it. I mean technically speaking Capfal can actually spotdodge a peach d.smash with a little room for error. Good luck actually doing it, but it IS physically possible, unlike people who only have 14 frames of inv)

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
I'd prefer Doc's spot dodge over Falcon's any day. Mostly, I'd be using it to avoid grabs, and I'd rather not have a spot dodge that lasts longer than a standing grab =P

otg

Smash Master
i have told you like 50,000,000 times that I don't put friendlies up and that you can have any footage of yourself that you want, you just have to bring a hard drive over.
Word I know, but I don't own a harddrive and my computer is busted right now so I can't do anything about it till one of those two things get taken care of. Also, lets play 2mrw.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
um, yeah. Did you y'all know that the rate you wanna perform chest compressions goes along with:

Stayin Alive, and Another One Bites The Dust?

Top Bottom