• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Speculating about Smash was incredibly fun and an entertaining activity. I've made some genuinely great friends and I've had a lot of fun posting with everyone. As much as we joke about this community, I earnestly love it and I love the passion and dedication I see from everyone in here.

I don't think I'll leave this site, I love Smash and I sure as hell am still interested in it. This ain't a goodbye since I'll still stick around and post in the forums every now and then, but I'll definitely miss this speculation cycle and all the fun and friends it brought to me. I hope to see some of you when Smash 6 speculation rolls around!

skylanders fan

Smash Lord
NNID
KyleWussler
Love smash started playing in brawl and was here for smash 4 speculation and now ultimate. I have got my most wanted characters in :ultmewtwo::ultbanjokazooie::ultkrool::ultbowser::ultsora: :ultsquirtle: All in one game it’s just fun never knowing what leak can be real like ESRB and Grinch. But after smash 4 dlc I stopped coming here till ultimates first trailer but I think I’ll stay around this time at least for a bit so until the next smash bye speculation thread

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Since long essays are in fashion for this thread on this day, I suppose I should add my own. (Incidentally, final thought on Sora? Fun to play as, and probably the lightweight I'm most inclined to get better with over time).

Trying to sum up Ultimate and its speculation period is an uphill climb, but if there is one word I'd use... it's transformative.

I've said before that Melee (and specifically the time after its release) forever changed Smash from a Nintendo novelty into a phenomenon that reached far beyond its roots. I'd say in some fashion that Ultimate did the same. SSB4 certainly laid the groundwork with things like 8 player Smash, an actual functional online service, and a really surprising third party inclusion. But much like the 64 version of Smash, it wasn't quite there in getting all the rough edges off and the PR/hype machine associated with it wasn't really mastered quite yet.

Ultimate is another Melee in that not only did it really polish the formula to an incredible degree, and took the series to heights that weren't imagined beforehand. Smash Directs became events in and of themselves, and just DLC characters were now on equal footing with actual game reveals in terms of hype for the game awards. Fighter speculation has become an internet ecosystem outside places like this, and SSBU itself has gradually evolved into the role of biggest fighting game in terms of sales and even talk on the internet in some respects. Essentially whatever the next Smash title is will be a reaction to this one, either to go bigger or to do for something different because its believed it could not be topped.

In that sense, I don't think there will be a hype cycle quite like this one. It was the perfect storm of a successful console, a game that was fairly quickly built on a solid (but not quite as significant) preceding title, and a general online culture that's allowed for a wide range of discussion, both very good and very bad. We'll get some incredible fighters in the next release, some interesting modes, and all kinds of exciting reveals of one type or another, however it will be a time very much informed by this one, with the (for lack of a better term) innocence of this era likely replaced by varying levels of optimism or cynicism depending on the person.

The cycle itself has been a journey. In hindsight I'd say that the period of the 2019 VGA to the 2020 VGA was probably the most tumultuous. The characters were fine in the grand scheme, but the pandemic in combination with a lot of unknowns about when/what's to come made it a tricky time to really guess at what the future would be. That's to me why Sephiroth was significant, because it was the first time in a while that Smash (and even Nintendo) felt like it was revealing things because they wanted to, not because circumstances forced them to. A notable absence of a Fighter in the 2019 Awards finally made up for in the best possible way at the 2020 equivalent, and even with the burnout later in the summer, a notably more refreshing period of speculation as a result.

As for my general thoughts on the game specifically? A remarkable achievement, and potentially the Smash I've put the most hours into. It's not been without its disappointments in character selection, as I'll never be able to see it as having a complete roster given the lack of Impa, Dixie, & Bandana Dee and there were certain other choices I still am a little annoyed by (seriously no Melee Mute City ever?). The wonderful thing though is that given how positive I am towards it now, I suspect that my overall assessment of it will only get better with time. It's a Smash title that filled in some many boxes and will be evergreen title for decades, no matter what comes next.

And this place? It's been a hell of a ride. There's a certain point with a speculation thread where you reach such a level of long time posters/lurkers that it becomes comfortable in a way only classic message board communities can be. It's why I think Smashboards still has such longevity in an age of social media, and why it'll be a tricky process when the whole thing starts up again in a few year's time. It'll be filled with newbies, no doubt making the same mistakes we've all made, and probably just as passionate about their most wanted selections as we are now. What's old is new, and that's never been more true with Smash and the discussions around it.

I'll be sticking around for a while; the Donkey Kong thread in Nintenzone's going to be a busy area for me, and I might just pop in the social thread around the time of Directs, if just to get a little of that Newcomer Speculation hype talk going again. Ultimate has been fun and thanks to all of you, so has this thread. Be well, and enjoy Smash as much as you can.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
It has been great speculating with you all.

I will still be active on the Social thread for who knows how long, but with this subforum closing down soon, there is no need to be here much longer. I guess I will speculate about the next Smash when the new forum comes. While it was a shame that Crash Bandicoot, Geno, among others did not come to Smash as playables, I was pretty satisfied with both base game Ultimate and DLC Ultimate. Like I said, I will still be here, but it truly is the end of an era now. Until next time...

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
It's been rad, y'all.

This game's speculation has had its ups and downs, but it was, for the most part, a brilliant time when the needless drama wasn't getting in the way. Whether it was having actual discussion about leaks and rumors, or goofy memes like PURPLE posting, I genuinely enjoyed my time here. Heck, I even have some fond memories of Grinch era (...before it went to insanity).

Some notable users I wanna tag from this thread are DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon , SharkLord SharkLord , Rie Sonomura Rie Sonomura , Scoliosis Jones Scoliosis Jones , and Shroob Shroob . All of ya'll were honestly some of the biggest reasons I even still popped into this thread every once in a while, and I appreciate the different takes all of you brought. It was always a joy to read through your posts and take part in the more out there ideas that'd always get brought up (Don-chan and Atelier will always be highlights of speculation for me!).

As I've said before, y'all can find me chillin' in the Social, maybe some game threads, and if I decide to pick the game back up more seriously again, some comp threads for Ultimate. I'll definitely be around anything discussing the hacking and modding scene as well.

As for speculation? Smash may be done, but NASB's era is only just beginning, and as I stated on the Social not long ago...

With Smash speculation done, I must move on to the next chapter of my life. Yes, it is time I retire my Googi and Octoling shilling until next game. For now...

Spoiler

I AM NOW THE SITE'S MR. KRABS CAT

I WILL SHILL MR. KRABS IN NASB SPECULATION WHENEVER I CAN

UNTIL THE FATEFUL DAY THE PROHECY IS FULFILLED, AND OUR GLORIOUS, KRABBY OVERLORD REIGNS SUPREME OVER THE NASB ROSTER

ARE YOU FEELING IT NOW, SOCIAL THREAD???
Arrivederci, Ultimate Speculation.

See you next time!

Googi was still the best option I CAN'T BELIEVE SAKURAI SKIPPED OUT ON HIM THIS IS AN OUTRAGE I DEMAND JUSTICE-

Last edited:

kylexv

Smash Master
I remember stumbling upon this site right before E3 of 2013 after hearing that we'd get news for the next Smash Bros. game. Hard to believe that day was over 8 years ago. Mega Man was revealed when I was still in middle school, and now I'm about to graduate college...

What a ride it's been. I still look back at the Smash 4 speculation period fondly, and I anticipate I will be doing the same for Ultimate in the coming years. I've been a fan of Smash Bros pretty much my entire life, and speculating with people on this site definitely added to both Smash 4 and Ultimate for me. I did leave the site after the final Smash 4 DLC and came back when Ultimate was announced, so I'm not sure if I'll stick around. Regardless, it's been a joy interacting with you guys.

As for the inevitable next Smash Bros game (because Nintendo likes money), we'll see what happens.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
EDIT: Apparently... Sora is listed before Kazuya. Sooooo.... this makes this thing whole null and void. My bad on that lol.

Sooooo.... we might know the original ordering of Fighters Pass Vol. 2 before Sora was added. Thanks to our good friend [fighter_param.prc], a param file that's located in [fighter/common/param/],

(For those wondering what this file does, it simply contains stats of all the current fighters in-game, such as run speed, jump height, etc.)

All the Vol. 2 Fighters are currently listed in this order:

- Min-Min

- Steve

- Kazuya

- Pyra/Mythra

- Sephiroth

- Sora

And for those currently wondering, the ordering of Vol. 1 Fighters is the exact same as their actual releases.

So going off this Vol. 2 ordering, it seems like Kazuya might've been in the middle of the pass, Pyra/Mythra was second to last, and Sephiroth was going to be the last one.

Which... would've been an interesting difference.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Sooooo.... we might know the original ordering of Fighters Pass Vol. 2 before Sora was added. Thanks to our good friend [fighter_param.prc], a param file that's located in [fighter/common/param/],

(For those wondering what this file does, it simply contains stats of all the current fighters in-game, such as run speed, jump height, etc.)

- Min-Min

- Steve

- Kazuya

- Pyra/Mythra

- Sephiroth

- Sora

And for those currently wondering, the ordering of Vol. 1 Fighters is the exact same as their actual releases.

So going off this Vol. 2 ordering, it seems like Kazuya might've been in the middle of the pass, Pyra/Mythra was second to last, and Sephiroth was going to be the last one.

I’m guessing 0x12allthosenumbers is Kazuya? Wasn’t his code name demon?

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Ultimate is the first Smash game that I participated in its speculation from start to finish and the reason I joined Smashboards in the first place so even if it wasn't such an phenomenal game, I think this game period will always be special for me. Even though it has its lows, I'll miss predicting characters as it made them even more exciting when they were finally revealed. I never really predicted any character (unless you count me rooting for Byleth and Steve) but it was still an experience to be a part of the ride.

I'll stay on this site, though. I met a lot of cool people in here when being overly passionate about a funny fighting game and I hope we meet again on next Smash game's speculating thread.

It's been a pleasure.
osby I just wanna say you’re a cool dude. One of my favorite users on this site for real. Glad you’re stickin’ around so we can still talk more.

SKX31

Smash Master
I WAS 100% CORRECT (besides the turnaround being due to a chance meeting but that's besides the point)

KNEEL BEFORE ME, THE GOD OF SMASH ULTIMATE SPECULATION
Do I have the right to flex too when I said the same thing since the moment FP2 was announced? :bobomb:
One more congratulatory gif(t)! (source: Alpharad's recent "Getting Sora to Elite Smash" video)

Also, sidenote, the best / weirdest interaction I've ever seen just because Sora's jab starts high up:

If one were to travel back to 2018 and post the above two GIFs... hoo boy.

And I'll (likely) wave goodbye to this thread now, I'll share this because this game allows a lot of crazy shenaningas:

- Min-Min

- Steve

- Kazuya

- Pyra/Mythra

- Sephiroth

- Sora

If this indeed was the case, then it's kinda amazing that Ultimate was supposed to end with Galeem being unceremonously sliced in half and Sephiroth just beating up everyone in his path (plus toying with Mario).

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
I’ve been more of a lurker who only posted occasionally, but it’s been fun checking in every day to find out what’s new in the speculation discussion. While speculation in general will continue elsewhere, such as on the Next Smash thread (and on the NASB thread,) and such I plan on sticking around, I’ll still miss this thread.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I’ve been around since Smash 4. Like Strider_Bond00J Strider_Bond00J i too joined when Robin and Lucina were announced instead of Chrom. Difference is I was lurking the Shulk thread before at the height of Gematsu (remember Monado Monday? Yeah…)

I met a group of friends there but… due to some incidents, and our lifestyles not meshing after a while, only half of that group is still my friend today. Part of me thinks it’s for the best, another part still misses the other half but knows I’ll never get them back.

but I made some other awesome friends here, too many to tag if I’m being honest. So regardless, thanks once again. uwu
Still a bit weird we didn't get any Undertale spirit event, but guess Toby was like after he won against Sakurai:

"You may use only Sans Mii & Megalovania"
We could still get some more unique Spirit events, idk. They’ll just be permanently added upon amiibo patches.

but tfw we got two indie gunner miis with music and one indie brawler Mii with music but no indie swordfighter Mii with music

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
The best mood to set rn for the thread closing…
It’s been fun y’all. It’s been fun. It’s been great meeting people of all ages, especially mine (college students gang gang) haha
Take care of yourselves y’all

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I'll be hanging sometimes in the Nickelodeon All Star Brawl thread and staying in Smashboards longer to discuss NASB.

Ultimate base game speculation was fun. I wasn't around as much for DLC stuff cause I wanted a break.

To every old speculator that was here and might leave for good, I bid you farewell, and take a break from speculation, if you can.

:byebye:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Well everyone else is taking this time to reflect on their experience with Smash, Smash Ultimate, and SmashBoards itself, so I feel compelled and want to make one last big final post myself. Smash has been a huge part of my life since 2005 when I got a GameCube with Melee, but it's evolved to a whole new level starting with Smash 4 and how hyped I was about Smash getting a 3DS and Wii U release confirmed all the way back at E3 2011. I never knew it was going to start a decade long journey, but here we are. I went into a lot of details with my Sora announcement reflection post from last week, so I won't completely retread that ground, but it's been a joy watching every single reveal live (*Except for Joker because I was driving to pick it up and in my defense I waited until the last possible second to leave while watching TGAs 2018 already to get the game for the midnight release) and being a part of the huge hype culture that developed around the characters. Sure, I have fond memories of waking up in 2007 everyday to check the Dojo before school and being ecstatic when I saw Pokemon Trainer get revealed on their with our brand new not dial-up internet. But watching reveals live was just something different and really always made me feel like a part of something greater and more connected.

I didn't join SmashBoards until Lucina/Robin's trailer, but it was around that time Smash 4 had become my life blood and I needed to talk about the game. I was probably a very obvious teenager speculating and complaining about dumb things, but I had fun and made some good memories. I was pulling for Shulk pretty hard alongside Ridley, King K. Rool, and Mewtwo with occasional mentions of wanting Geno or Snake to come back though doubting their addition. So I was very happy to then wake up extremely early before school in August 2014 for a Japanese only Nintendo Direct to see Shulk get revealed and he's probably the reveal I am the most personally attached to at this point because I decided to wake up for something people claimed could never have a Smash reveal (even if he had already leaked at the time, I was a fierce downplayer of the ESRB leak because I was the aforementioned dumb teenager in Smash speculation). I would go on to get the Demo for Smash for 3DS through Nintendo's online promotion and because they gave out free extra codes, I do distinctly remember sharing them with some posters on here since I didn't have friends with 3DSs' at the time anyway, which was really nice to make some people happy including fellow posters disappointed by the ESRB leak dominating the world and later reality at the time. As base game wrapped up, I drifted away from SmashBoards, only returning to be hyped about Mewtwo for a little bit... but ultimately I was going to college and obsessed with Destiny in 2015, so I stopped being involved outside of watching Directs. I did vote for King K. Rool on the ballot in 2015 and was disappointed to see him get the costume treatment, but by the time Bayonetta got revealed as the final fighter I was all on board for her as a fan of her games anyway. I ended Smash 4 with a slight disappointment that we were missing Snake, Wolf, and Ice Climbers and played Brawl even for a few months after Smash 4 had wrapped up just to play them. I always wanted a game with every veteran, but it seemed Smash 4 was the closest we could get and I was mostly extremely satisfied.

AND THEN ULTIMATE SHOWED UP. And I've spoken so much on it over the years, but it really did make so many dreams a reality from the very beginning and has never stopped for me. It's given me some of my most wanted fighters from across the years and given me incredible characters I didn't even realize I wanted/needed in Smash. But more importantly, it brought me back to SmashBoards, and while my time here wasn't always me acting the best (and to anybody I've hurt or done too much hype policing/gatekeeping or otherwise negative vibes, I do want to genuinely apologize and say I'm sorry), I did end up having a ton of fun with a lot of great people and really came to adore talking about Smash with others. And eventually it did help me make some really great friends that I've loved to be with and I think will be around for years to come thanks to this site and this game, and that's really special to me. Ultimate is a special game because it has gotten me through a lot personally too, but also for the friendships it has forged for me. I love the game and I love what its meant. It's been a fantastic, breathtaking, delightful, and wild ride. It's not a perfect game and there are and should be real criticisms of some of its elements like continued lack of representation or poor online, but it's always going to be one of my all time, if not my absolute favorite, game. It's amazing I'm able to look at this completed product with all these dreams that have come true and just enjoy it. There's so much of Smash I love on display and while I know some people haven't had the best community experiences with it, it's also been my personal best community experience.

Thank you everyone for being on this ride with me and engaging with me/talking with me/liking my posts or even just accepting my giant walls of text and putting up with me and my eccentric self. It's all been a journey and I'm glad a lot of it has been on SmashBoards. I never expected to make this many posts on any forum, but here I am. And all the while I've kept a Pacific Rim avatar I picked when I made the account in 2014 because I was obsessed with the big dumb anime movie it was at the time and it just felt wrong to get rid of it. People knew me for this avatar and I enjoyed it when people would point out it seemed like this huge robot was writing massive essays about Smash to them. Again, it's been a fantastic ride that I will treasure deeply. I don't know if I'll be around for future Smash speculation, survey says probably because I can't stay away, but I'd also honestly be OK ending my journey here and I'm always going to hold on to Smash Ultimate specifically with its fully filled roster. I don't wanna talk cuts ever even if that's totally unrealistic, so maybe this is the end of my Smash speculation journey. And I think for everyone here it does feel like an ending in a lot of ways and its an emotional time for all of us who have invested so many years into Smash and hours into speculation.

Remember Smash Ultimate for all the good times it has brought and as the culmination of a franchise we all know and love because that's what I'm going to do. And I think it's going to be an all the more special memory and part of my life for that. Thank you again everyone, it's been great, and I'll see you on the other side.

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
Been a while since I posted here. Some impressions before the thread dies:

Kazuya's a dope addition, and one of my new favorites. Tekken 100% deserved the rep, though I'd have preferred Heihachi since I'm big on the "gaming all-stars" angle.

Sora's cool, and a great way to send off the game. Glad we ended with someone most people could agree on instead of a Pokemon or something.

Whenever next Smash is, I'm hoping my guy Chief can get in. That and a Dark Souls character. Anyone else is just gravy

EDIT: Also just remembered falling for Vergeben's MC E3 leak, even after Kazuya's reveal. Had me messed up when they signed off at the end of the direct lmao

Last edited:

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
I just wanna say too
Ultimate is BEYOND remarkable

It’s become one of those games that gamers across all platforms and even non-Nintendo folks can highly respect. The sales are going up and up, too and it’s awesome.

I’ll never forget this one guy on YT who was analyzing the TGA 2020 after it happened and even though he was barely a Nintendo fan, he took time within the video to discuss the Sephiroth reveal and shoutout Sakurai for whats he’s done.

It’s ambitious. It’s fun. It’s loving. It’s fruitful. It’s… ultimate

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Well ladies and fellas!

This is where we split!

Going back in time.gif

Super Smash Bros Ultimate Speculation is finally over!

It will be time for me to go back to being a wanderer on the Internet!

But not before I list off the kind people on this board who put up with me and my TimeSplitters and Sgt. Cortez shenanigans!

Rie Sonomura Rie Sonomura and her passion for her most wanteds are really inspiring. I even picked up a liking to the World ends with you.
SKX31 SKX31 and his analytics of the Smash Bros competitive scene and articulate views on characters give me things to think about.
3BitSaurus 3BitSaurus being a fellow Banjo & Kazooie supporter and his dedication to League of Legends is outstanding.
SharkLord SharkLord and his support for characters that I personally didn't like, like Reimu and Adol and gave me new perspectives on these characters that made me change the way I view them!
Momotsuki Momotsuki a dedicated Yume Nikki fan who has cheered me on when I'm on my TimeSplitters spreading voyage!
SneakyLink SneakyLink a fellow Banjo & Kazooie supporter who introduced me to the wonderful and weird character named Otto Matic!
SNEKeater SNEKeater who introduced me to the world of Guilty Gear which is where I picked up my fondness for Sol Badguy
Wunderwaft Wunderwaft who helped me learn to respect other characters by researching the characters I didn't like and find a new perspective on them.
Speed Weed Speed Weed a fellow Streets of Rage enthusiast and his passion for Amingo and Opa opa has secretly rubbed off on me.
TheCJBrine TheCJBrine A Steve and Banjo & Kazooie supporter who I honestly could have been more mature towards during my days at the Banjo & Kazooie support thread. While I never liked Steve, I'm happy for you that you did get him.
NonSpecificGuy NonSpecificGuy for talking about Ryu Hayabusa and keeping the thread in tact when everything was about to get heated.
DarthEnderX DarthEnderX a fellow retro lover who posted that picture of the magazine and showed us which retro characters got into Smash Bros in one way or another.
epicmartin7 epicmartin7 for those times that you've helped bring back interest in the speculation thread when the thread was at it's lowest points.
Gengar84 Gengar84 a fan for the obscure characters and his support for Battletoads!
PeridotGX PeridotGX and his passion for pokemon such as Grovyle, Magneton, Regigigas as well as the Undertale folks such as Frisk and Papyrus!
Cosmic77 Cosmic77 who kept the thread from moving too far away into the third party territory with his desire for First Party characters and his dedication to Zacian!
DanganZilla5 DanganZilla5 fellow THQ Nordic comrade who supported Crypto from destroy all humans!
GilTheGreat19 GilTheGreat19 always adding the spark of life into any conversation that the newcomer speculation thread talks about!
C chocolatejr9 A Euden loyalist who taught us all about the main character of the mobile juggernaut, Dragalia Lost!
Swamp Sensei Swamp Sensei When the thread was down because we were getting an ARMS, he stood up for the series when no one else would.
Shroob Shroob I always enjoy reading what you have to say about the latest news in the discussion!
Professor Pumpkaboo Professor Pumpkaboo who I've always felt bad for because she was losing all hope for Sora and I'm glad the dream came true for you.
DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon Also happy for you that you got Sora and reading your essays from time to time is always insightful.
Nekoo Nekoo As well as you with your insight on Sora and always believing in him.
Michael the Spikester Michael the Spikester keeping us up to date on what was happening during the DLC period and adding a homely feel to the thread when he discussed what he was doing with his day.
Sari Sari Reading your Smash underdogs threads was always a treat to wake up to.
CannonStreak CannonStreak for the messages you sent me in the conversation box!
Adrianette Bromide Adrianette Bromide for reminding me about the Red Shell hat being missing! You really did dedicate yourself to the hat and it's sad we didn't get it (Sorry I didn't put you down here)
Theguy123 Theguy123 for keeping up his hopes for Professor Layton and telling us that Level 5 is alive and well!
Verde Coeden Scalesworth Verde Coeden Scalesworth her passion for Quest 64 and Brian is nothing short of inspiring! One day I hope to have a go at the game!
7NATOR 7NATOR and his miles upon miles of paragraphs to talk about his most wanted character, Shadow beats even my dedication to Sgt. Cortez and I hella respect that!
Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom for saying that line at the number 3 spot when you were about to lock down the thread!

More fellow Banjo & Kazooie supporters such as:
ChunkySlugger72 ChunkySlugger72 CosmicQuark CosmicQuark FreeFox FreeFox RoboFist RoboFist JamesDNaux JamesDNaux BZocky BZocky N3ON N3ON

People who I have not interacted with much but I thank you for liking my posts of my Sgt. Cortez silliness.
Jocario Zero Jocario Zero Wurmple for smash Wurmple for smash ARandomZoomer ARandomZoomer Invisible Shiny Bulbasaur Invisible Shiny Bulbasaur Cap'n Jack Cap'n Jack Schnee117 Schnee117 P Playstation Guy 1000 ARandomFruit ARandomFruit Freezerburn Freezerburn ZelDan ZelDan Metal Shop X Metal Shop X TheLamerGamer TheLamerGamer Mushroomguy12 Mushroomguy12 Þe 1 → Way Þe 1 → Way Golden Icarus Golden Icarus Lamperouge Lamperouge JOJONumber691 JOJONumber691 BlondeLombax BlondeLombax Ramen Tengoku Ramen Tengoku Flyboy Flyboy Hydreigonfan01 Hydreigonfan01 Sucumbio Sucumbio 2006ToyotaTacoma 2006ToyotaTacoma CureParfait CureParfait CapitaineCrash CapitaineCrash Aerospherology Aerospherology kylexv kylexv JustPlainDan JustPlainDan Pillow Pillow Technomage Technomage Gnateb Gnateb ahemtoday ahemtoday Firox Firox Lyncario Lyncario ShrimpScampi ShrimpScampi Garteam Garteam Noipoi Noipoi PSIGuy PSIGuy toonito toonito skylanders fan skylanders fan cashregister9 cashregister9 Gazorpazorpfield Gazorpazorpfield waddledeeonredyoshi waddledeeonredyoshi Boopadoo Boopadoo GaroMaster GaroMaster CyberHyperPhoenix CyberHyperPhoenix ROBnWatch ROBnWatch Eldrake Eldrake StrangeKitten StrangeKitten KillerCage KillerCage Truth the Ceomasterz33 Truth the Ceomasterz33 I.D. I.D.

And even those who I don't always see eye to eye on discussions with like osby osby Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen Idon Idon Will Will Opossum Opossum G Guynamednelson Scoliosis Jones Scoliosis Jones MooMew64 MooMew64 EricTheGamerman EricTheGamerman because I make bad arguments and can't stop being a fool sometimes. It goes to show no matter how different our view points are and which side of the Smash fandom we're on, our interest in Smash Bros is what keeps us all going! I don't know if I even had arguments with some of you but I think I'd rather keep you on here than leave you out!

GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 that is a lot of people to thank... and him too! Thank you too!

Well I believe that is everyone and I hope I've tagged everyone, If not I'm deeply sorry! I think this is a good time to say my farewell to you all.

It's been a pleasure sharing with you all the wondrous joys of the TimeSplitters series and getting to hear all of your favourite series too. It's crazy how dynamic our interests can be as human beings! If the world all thought the same, it wouldn't be no fun to share with you how great the series can be! I thank you all for taking the time to listen to my tale and journey of... Time to Split... into Smash bros... I dunno...

No matter where we all go, no matter where the world takes us, no matter how far in time and space we may find ourselves to be in, no matter what happens to us, No matter anything or everything, just remember that there is always a...

Time to Split compressed.gif

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I don't got a wall of text to say like everyone else, but

It's been a pleasure these last 3 years, even in the absolute worst of it, speculation was fun. I'm going to miss it, but I'm happy that Ultimate is finally done. This thread, and the prior one, are testaments to just how passionate this fanbase can be, for better or worse, and now that it's all coming to an end tomorrow, well, I hope some of y'all still stick around.

I'll be in the social thread like I normally am.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
I'm going to move in the social thread as I've been on this site for far too long, so I'm probably still see some of you occasionally. That said, speculation was certainly interesting in this game compared to Smash 4 and it's been a pleasure being here for so long. I hope some people here will be staying on the site, but for those that aren't:

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
The thread is about to end?

well, uh, I don't have much to say, since idk what to say, but...

you're all cool, hope you all have a good life, and if you wanna find me I'll still be checking this site, mainly sticking to the social thread since the Steve thread, Banjo & Kazooie thread, etc. appear to be mostly dead.

goodbye, newcomer speculation.

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
Well ladies and fellas!

This is where we split!

View attachment 335064

But not before I list off the kind people on this board who put up with me and my TimeSplitters and Sgt. Cortez shenanigans!

Rie Sonomura Rie Sonomura and her passion for her most wanteds are really inspiring. I even picked up a liking to the World ends with you.
SKX31 SKX31 and his analytics of the Smash Bros competitive scene and articulate views on characters give me things to think about.
3BitSaurus 3BitSaurus being a fellow Banjo & Kazooie supporter and his dedication to League of Legends is outstanding.
SharkLord SharkLord and his support for characters that I personally didn't like, like Reimu and Adol and gave me new perspectives on these characters that made me change the way I view them!
Momotsuki Momotsuki a dedicated Yume Nikki fan who has cheered me on when I'm on my TimeSplitters spreading voyage!
SneakyLink SneakyLink a fellow Banjo & Kazooie supporter who introduced me to the wonderful and weird character named Otto Matic!
SNEKeater SNEKeater who introduced me to the world of Guilty Gear which is where I picked up my fondness for Sol Badguy
Wunderwaft Wunderwaft who helped me learn to respect other characters by researching the characters I didn't like and find a new perspective on them.
Speed Weed Speed Weed a fellow Streets of Rage enthusiast and his passion for Amingo and Opa opa has secretly rubbed off on me.
TheCJBrine TheCJBrine A Steve and Banjo & Kazooie supporter who I honestly could have been more mature towards during my days at the Banjo & Kazooie support thread. While I never liked Steve, I'm happy for you that you did get him.
NonSpecificGuy NonSpecificGuy for talking about Ryu Hayabusa and keeping the thread in tact when everything was about to get heated.
DarthEnderX DarthEnderX a fellow retro lover who posted that picture of the magazine and showed us which retro characters got into Smash Bros in one way or another.
epicmartin7 epicmartin7 for those times that you've helped bring back interest in the speculation thread when the thread was at it's lowest points.
Gengar84 Gengar84 a fan for the obscure characters and his support for Battletoads!
PeridotGX PeridotGX and his passion for pokemon such as Grovyle, Magneton, Regigigas as well as the Undertale folks such as Frisk and Papyrus!
Cosmic77 Cosmic77 who kept the thread from moving too far away into the third party territory with his desire for First Party characters and hi!
DanganZilla5 DanganZilla5 fellow THQ Nordic comrade who supported Crypto from destroy all humans!
GilTheGreat19 GilTheGreat19 always adding the spark of life into any conversation that the newcomer speculation thread talks about!
C chocolatejr9 A Euden loyalist who taught us all about the main character of the mobile juggernaut, Dragalia Lost!
Swamp Sensei Swamp Sensei When the thread was down because we were getting an ARMS, he stood up for the series when no one else would.
Shroob Shroob I always enjoy reading what you have to say about the latest news in the discussion!
Professor Pumpkaboo Professor Pumpkaboo who I've always felt bad for because she was losing all hope for Sora and I'm glad the dream came true for you.
DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon Also happy for you that you got Sora and reading your essays from time to time is always insightful.
Nekoo Nekoo As well as you with your insight on Sora and always believing in him.
Michael the Spikester Michael the Spikester keeping us up to date on what was happening during the DLC period and adding a homely feel to the thread when he discussed what he was doing with his day.
Sari Sari Reading your Smash underdogs threads was always a treat to wake up to.
Verde Coeden Scalesworth Verde Coeden Scalesworth her passion for Quest 64 and Brian is nothing short of inspiring! One day I hope to have a go at the game!
7NATOR 7NATOR and his miles upon miles of paragraphs to talk about his most wanted character, Shadow beats even my dedication to Sgt. Cortez and I hella respect that!
Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom for saying that line at the number 3 spot when you were about to lock down the thread!

ChunkySlugger72 ChunkySlugger72 CosmicQuark CosmicQuark FreeFox FreeFox RoboFist RoboFist JamesDNaux JamesDNaux N3ON N3ON

People who I have not interacted with much but I thank you for liking my posts of my Sgt. Cortez silliness.
Jocario Zero Jocario Zero Wurmple for smash Wurmple for smash ARandomZoomer ARandomZoomer Invisible Shiny Bulbasaur Invisible Shiny Bulbasaur Cap'n Jack Cap'n Jack Schnee117 Schnee117 P Playstation Guy 1000 ARandomFruit ARandomFruit Freezerburn Freezerburn ZelDan ZelDan Metal Shop X Metal Shop X TheLamerGamer TheLamerGamer Mushroomguy12 Mushroomguy12 Þe 1 → Way Þe 1 → Way Golden Icarus Golden Icarus Lamperouge Lamperouge JOJONumber691 JOJONumber691 BlondeLombax BlondeLombax Flyboy Flyboy Hydreigonfan01 Hydreigonfan01 Sucumbio Sucumbio 2006ToyotaTacoma 2006ToyotaTacoma CureParfait CureParfait CapitaineCrash CapitaineCrash Aerospherology Aerospherology kylexv kylexv JustPlainDan JustPlainDan Pillow Pillow Technomage Technomage Gnateb Gnateb ahemtoday ahemtoday Firox Firox Lyncario Lyncario Gazorpazorpfield Gazorpazorpfield I.D. I.D.

And even those who I don't always see eye to eye on discussions with like osby osby Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen Idon Idon Will Will Opossum Opossum G Guynamednelson Scoliosis Jones Scoliosis Jones MooMew64 MooMew64 because I make bad arguments and can't stop being a fool sometimes. It goes to show no matter how different our view points are and which side of the Smash fandom we're on, our interest in Smash Bros is what keeps us all going! I don't know if I even had arguments with some of you but I think I'd rather keep you on here than leave you out!

GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 that is a lot of people to thank... and him too! Thank you too!

Well I believe that is everyone and I hope I've tagged everyone, If not I'm deeply sorry! I think this is a good time to say my farewell to you all.

It's been a pleasure sharing with you all the wondrous joys of the TimeSplitters series and getting to hear all of your favourite series too. It's crazy how dynamic our interests can be as human beings! If the world all thought the same, it wouldn't be no fun to share with you how great the series can be! I thank you all for taking the time to listen to my tale and journey of... Time to Split... into Smash bros... I dunno...

No matter where we all go, no matter where the world takes us, no matter how far in time and space we may find ourselves to be in, no matter what happens to us, No matter anything or everything, just remember that there is always a...

View attachment 335063
And no thanks to me for hyping up that one underrated character from that Nintendo robot fighting game. He's pink and has no limbs, I can't remember his name. From Joy Mech Battle or sumthin.

Banado_Boy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Banado_Boy
Switch FC
SW-3619-0087-7500
Been lurking these boards since someone linked me to this site on one of my Miiverse posts (I think it was to a funny Miiverse drawings thread on this site or something; I was under the name "Lorenzo") during the Sm4sh era, and have occasionally commented on the past two speculation threads since the SNK leak came about.

Just want to thank you all for helping make the wait for character releases feel quicker, and further expanding my gaming interests. Would have never gotten into some games & series that I'm a fan of now if I hadn't lurked & involved myself a bit in these threads (Disgaea, Doom, Guilty Gear, Super Mario RPG, and probably more).

This isn't a goodbye post though. I'll probably just continue my lurking & occasional commentary on the new thread. Maybe visit the social thread, I dunno. I'm pretty busy with wrapping up my final college semester, so for the next few months I'll most likely be less active (but as I said earlier, not completely gone).

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Feels like graduation up in here, haha.
"where you going?" "I'm going here"
"where you going?" "Oh, I'm staying over there"
"where you going?" "NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS"
"where you going?" "going?"

But it really shows what the community meant to people. And that's always touching to see. It has been quite the ride, after all.

Also this isn't my goodbye post, dw. I'll save that for later.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Well ladies and fellas!

This is where we split!

View attachment 335064

Cosmic77 Cosmic77 who kept the thread from moving too far away into the third party territory with his desire for First Party characters and hi!

ChunkySlugger72 ChunkySlugger72 CosmicQuark CosmicQuark FreeFox FreeFox RoboFist RoboFist JamesDNaux JamesDNaux N3ON N3ON

Jocario Zero Jocario Zero Wurmple for smash Wurmple for smash ARandomZoomer ARandomZoomer Invisible Shiny Bulbasaur Invisible Shiny Bulbasaur Cap'n Jack Cap'n Jack Schnee117 Schnee117 P Playstation Guy 1000 ARandomFruit ARandomFruit Freezerburn Freezerburn ZelDan ZelDan Metal Shop X Metal Shop X TheLamerGamer TheLamerGamer Mushroomguy12 Mushroomguy12 Þe 1 → Way Þe 1 → Way Golden Icarus Golden Icarus Lamperouge Lamperouge JOJONumber691 JOJONumber691 BlondeLombax BlondeLombax Flyboy Flyboy Hydreigonfan01 Hydreigonfan01 Sucumbio Sucumbio 2006ToyotaTacoma 2006ToyotaTacoma CureParfait CureParfait CapitaineCrash CapitaineCrash Aerospherology Aerospherology kylexv kylexv JustPlainDan JustPlainDan Pillow Pillow Technomage Technomage Gnateb Gnateb ahemtoday ahemtoday Firox Firox Lyncario Lyncario Gazorpazorpfield Gazorpazorpfield I.D. I.D.

And even those who I don't always see eye to eye on discussions with like osby osby Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen Idon Idon Will Will Opossum Opossum G Guynamednelson Scoliosis Jones Scoliosis Jones MooMew64 MooMew64 because I make bad arguments and can't stop being a fool sometimes. It goes to show no matter how different our view points are and which side of the Smash fandom we're on, our interest in Smash Bros is what keeps us all going! I don't know if I even had arguments with some of you but I think I'd rather keep you on here than leave you out!

View attachment 335063
At least my Euden-posting wasn't for nothing...

Best of luck to everyone! I still need to decide what I'll do next, but one thing's for sure: I WILL be back come next Smash game. You can bet on it.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
It's been a pleasure communicating with you all! The last time I really got into SmashBoards was 2015, DLC speculation for Smash 4. And man... have things changed a lot since Ultimate kicked stuff into high gear.

I might stick around in the Ultimate section as I'm entirely done with Ultimate yet, (mods babbeh), but I might check out the new speculation boards when they're available!

Also... this is probably the most fun I've had with math. Soooooo... yay to Smash for making math fun :p

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'd also like to interrupt the goodbyes for a moment to go back to something that won't be a part of conversation again for a good long time but w/e it's worth raising

It's for reasons like this why a character wouldn't be chosen for DLC on the basis of intuitively having a fitting spirit board or stage or whatever. The supporting content is indeed supporting, and the character gets chosen well before work is done on what follows.

Just a point I was seeing raised against like, Waluigi and Bandana Dee and other existing series.

StormC

Smash Hero
Well I heard everyone else is doing their goodbyes so I will too, despite not posting here for a solid year.

Smash Ultimate is, by far, the best game in the series. From the incredible roster and stage selection, to the dozens of hours you can lose in Spirit Mode and Classic Mode, to the music selection, to the trailers... it really does feel like a finale for all of Smash speculation.

I ended Smash 4 ultimately disappointed and deflated by the final set of reveals. I was ambivalent when the new game was teased in March 2018. I thought "well, they'll probably bring back most of the vets, but Cloud is probably getting cut, and Snake is a pipe dream. Maybe we'll get Ridley like the rumors say." As a longterm K. Rool supporter, I was scared to be optimistic.

To say the E3 reveal surpassed by expectations is an understatement. Everyone Is Here + Ridley was the best way to start off the game. Then only two months later, K. Rool made all my hopes and dreams come true. To this day I've never had a Smash reveal excite me that much, with the only one coming close being another old Rare character who would show up 10 months later.

Not only did Smash Ultimate fulfill some longtime dreams, but I got some surprises out of it too. Joker was a great pick and Persona 5 is possibly my all time favorite JRPG, and the general Persona presence definitely gave the game some flavor. Sephiroth was such a shocking pick but fit right in as an iconic villain alongside Ridley and K. Rool. Sora was perhaps the perfect character to cap out Ultimate, the ultimate Never Ever, the most requested ballot character and a mascot of another iconic gaming crossover. The fact that Sora only barely got in made it even more miraculous.

If I was told back in December 2015 what Smash would become after an overall disappointing entry on 3DS/Wii U, I'd simply never believe it. While I am somewhat sad it's over, I'm glad Ultimate is ending on a high note, perhaps leaving us wanting a little more rather than being burnt out completely.

I don't know what the next Smash looks like, I doubt Sakurai and Nintendo do either, but I cannot imagine how they will ever top this.

Thanks to everyone that voted for King K. Rool, Banjo-Kazooie, Ridley, Sora, and everyone else. It's been fun. Who knows if I'll be around next time, as there are really no characters left that could really excite me that much again, but hopefully they can surprise me one last time. I was in high school during Brawl speculation which was my first real major Smash speculation period. I'm in my 30s now and somehow Smash hype is crazier than ever. But if they never top this, then I'll feel like I got the vast majority of what I ever wanted out of Smash.

#KrocTheVote

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Don't have any real big goodbye post to put here, just wanna say it's been a real ride goin' through Ultimate speculation. Hell, I was here during the Smash 4 speculation days, and there really wasn't that big of a break between that and Ultimate spec, so I've been riding this train for a hot minute.

But speculation is always fun, even with the ups and downs, and it's definitely a treat to participate in while it lasts.

I'll see y'all next time we have something to speculate about.

640efb9e5984934756c05cb74db8459e.gif

D

Deleted member

Seeing how this is the last day this thread stays on, I got a couple of things to say.

DLC was the only thing I was ever interested in talking about ever since Joker was revealed. I always paid attention to whenever something related to Smash was announced, but for the most part, speculation on the base game didn't engage me as much as the post-launch content did. I wanted to write up my thoughts on each DLC character 1 by 1, but I ended up not doing it because I started thinking about what could be next for the future Smash games a lot more than I did with the 11 DLC characters throughout both Fighter Passes. This may not be the right thread for it, but here's the bullet points to some of my out-of-a-limb predictions for the 6th installment of Smash:

-Sakurai will still make Smash 6, but he's going to make a completely new game beforehand much like Kid Icarus Uprising before Smash 4
-all 1st Party characters will return
-Hero and Sora will be the only 2 3rd Party characters not on the base roster but will be released as DLC after 6 officially releases
-Stages and Mii Costumes will be the most affected by cuts
-The direction in newcomers will have a greater number of 3rd Party characters than before
-Jonesy Fortnite will be the 1st character revealed for Smash 6, which also makes him the 1st 3rd Party character to be revealed
-Base Roster will include characters such as Ring Fit Trainee, Paper Mario, Bandana Dee, Chun-Li, Frisk, Billy and Jimmy, and a character from said game Sakurai will make before Smash 6

-Smash 6 will reach a total of 100 fighters by the end of its development

And that's pretty much it. A lot of people expect the next Smash game will not reach the same heights as Ultimate, but I think Sakurai could end up pulling it off. The main reason I say Hero and Sora will not be on the base roster in comparison to the other characters is pretty much due to the things around negotiating for those characters. I recall it was said awhile ago the music department of Dragon Quest wanted a percentage of Smash Ultimate's earnings if they were going to include him to the base game. Even though Sugiyama passed away recently, Dragon Quest's music firm could potentially share the same views as he did with music distribution, so if that's the case, Hero's a DLC for life fighter in Smash. Meanwhile, Sora's inclusion is a massive undertaking with a whole bunch of parties within Disney and Square Enix like what was mentioned in the recent column. It was said Sakurai and Nintendo were very careful in the negotiation process to add Sora to Smash, so they'd probably try to be extra careful in bringing him back by having him be DLC again.
Of course, it'll be a long time til the next Smash game comes out. Anything can happen from now to when it releases. So many different scenarios could happen like that 1 false rumor about Konami selling their IPs to Sony actually being real. There's no telling how things will look for the next Smash, but right now, these are the predictions I'm making for that game and I'm going to stick with them until then.

So now onto my overall thoughts on both Fighter Passes and other things.

The main feeling I got after every character was revealed was pretty much bittersweet. There really isn't much doubt to say most of the DLC additions to Ultimate are objectively the best inclusions to Smash of all time, but subjectively, all of them weren't the characters I specifically wanted to see in Smash. That view of things pretty much changed the way I see Ultimate now. It went from I hope this character gets added to Smash to if only they added this character to Smash and it's really unfortunate to have this mindset especially when your tastes in games are drastically different to Sakurai's and the Smash Community's. Despite how negative these thoughts look, the overall joy on people's faces seeing their favorites being included to Smash is something I can appreciate, even if I never had the same feeling they did when someone they wanted got revealed. I also enjoyed speculation even if a lot of topics were being recycled over and over to the point I tried to avoid bringing up a topic more than once. There was a lot of interesting stuff to read on here, and there were a great amount of things I wanted to chime in to as well no matter how good or bad of a take they were. Probably the most memorable take I've seen on here is 1 where somebody called the Half-Life series niche despite the games themselves being 1 of the most well-known and beloved PC games of all time. Even though it didn't really matter all that much in the grand scheme of things, that gave me a kick I won't forget about as someone who still plays Gmod to this day.

To be frank, I don't have much of a reason to be here anymore as I have different interests to focus on now from playing my insanely huge backlog of games on Steam to watching wrestling almost every weekday. I'm leaving this site altogether, so I just wanna say thanks to everyone on Smashboards for letting me talk about this game when I didn't really have anyone or anywhere else to talk about it. It's been a fun 2 and a half years, but all things must come to an end. Take care and stay groovy everyone 👍

-VD (THE Musou enthusiast/apologist)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom