• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
In terms of Pokemon Representation, its unique in that both type representation and gen representation are seen as the goals fans want to see, unlike many other games where people want a rep from a specific game or a series staple.

Gen 1: :ultsquirtle::ultivysaur::ultcharizard::ultpikachu::ultmewtwo::ultjigglypuff:
Gen 2: :ultpichu:
Gen 4: :ultlucario:
Gen 6: :ultgreninja:
Gen 7: :ultincineroar:

So Gen 1 has more reps than all others generations combined, and even if you count Pokemon Trainer as 1 they still tie with the rest.
Electric: :ultpichu::ultpikachu:
Fire: :ultcharizard::ultincineroar:
Water: :ultsquirtle::ultgreninja:
Grass: :ultivysaur:
Poison: :ultivysaur: (Secondary)
Psychic: :ultmewtwo:
Dark: :ultincineroar: (Secondary) :ultgreninja:(Secondary)
Flying: :ultcharizard: (Secondary)
Normal: :ultjigglypuff:
Fairy: :ultjigglypuff: (Secondary)
Fighting: :ultlucario:
Steel::ultlucario:(Secondary)

That is 12/18 types represented. 7 through Primary typing, 5 through Secondary Typing.
So, if we want to be really strict about only representing new types and Generations.
We have Gen 3, 5, and 8. And the types must be Bug, Dragon, Ghost, Ground, Rock, and Ice.
Who exactly would fit this? Idk I don’t play Pokemon.

Last edited:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord

I don’t think Nintendo would want to overlap a Direct on this. If a direct happens next week, now I feel like Wednesday could be the day.
Just wondering, but, would Nintendo know about this well in advance, or is this tweet the first time they’re hearing of it? And also, how flexible is their Direct schedule? Are they able to move a Direct by a day or two at will or would that cause a lot of issues on their end?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
In terms of Pokemon Representation, its unique in that both type representation and gen representation are seen as the goals fans want to see, unlike many other games where people want a rep from a specific game or a series staple.

Gen 1: :ultsquirtle::ultivysaur::ultcharizard::ultpikachu::ultmewtwo::ultjigglypuff:

So Gen 1 has more reps than all others generations combined, and even if you count Pokemon Trainer as 1 they still tie with the rest.

That is 11/18 types represented. 7 through Primary typing, 4 through Secondary Typing.
So, if want to be really strict about only representing new types and Generations.
We have Gen 3, 5, and 8. And the types must be Bug, Dragon, Ghost, Ground, Rock, Ice, and Poison.
Seviper, Cofagrigus, and Orbeetle would be my picks based on these criteria.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

That is 11/18 types represented. 7 through Primary typing, 4 through Secondary Typing.
So, if want to be really strict about only representing new types and Generations.
We have Gen 3, 5, and 8. And the types must be Bug, Dragon, Ghost, Ground, Rock, Ice, and Poison.
Eh, I don't really care about types so much as I care about the Pokémon themselves. It is a little sad that Generations 3, 5, and 8 will never get a character though.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero

My choices for the picks
Poison: Toxtricity
Rock: Regirock
Bug: Heracross
Ground: Sandslash
Ghost: Gengar
Dragon: Kommo-o
Ice: Mr. Rime

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I never played the traditional pokemon games just the mobile game and the one that was for download on the wii I think? I can't remember the name but it was basically a run N gun styled game it was actually pretty fun.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Eh, I don't really care about types so much as I care about the Pokémon themselves. It is a little sad that Generations 3, 5, and 8 will never get a character though.
Same here. I don’t care much about type or Gen representation. I care a lot more about the individual Pokémon. That being said, two of my top four all time favorites are from Gens 5 and 8 (Cofagrigus and Orbeetle) so I’d love to get them as reps of their Gen even if they’re very unlikely even if we do get a Pokémon from those gens.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master

Ivysaur is grass/poison

So it should just be Bug, Dragon, Ghost, Ground, Rock, and Ice.

So let's do this given what I just said, and let's pick a group of 3
As you can see, it's impossible to do so. I can't come up with such a combination

Ivander

Smash Legend
Yeah the reason for that is probably the stupid backlash to Black and White only having new pokemon for the main game and GF/TPC going "Oh **** uhhh you like Red and Blue right?" Especially as BW sold pretty bad for Pokemon standards.
You're thinking of Black and White 2. Black and White sold very good, not that far off from Diamond and Pearl.

But still can't have nice things and originality, hardly even once in a while...

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Ivysaur is grass/poison

As you can see, it's impossible to do so. I can't come up with such a combination
Are we excluding dual type Pokémon (like Orbeetle) that share a type with a playable Pokémon in Smash and just limiting it to gens 3, 5, and 8?

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Are we excluding dual type Pokémon (like Orbeetle) that share a type with a playable Pokémon in Smash and just limiting it to gens 3, 5, and 8?
(At least I am) I'm trying to limit it to Dual types ONLY, that way I can have 3 mons that can attempt to cover all 3 remaining gens, and all 6 remining types.

I tried many times and given the official Pokemon we have (tho Fakemon from Smogon University's Create-a-Pokemon project would help LMAOO) , it's impossible to do so. If anyone comes up with a trio that fits all this, props to you.

Last edited:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Also, just for fun I’ve compiled the forms each Pokemon reps.
Baby Forms: :ultpichu:
Basic: :ultpikachu::ultsquirtle::ultjigglypuff: :ultlucario:
1st Form: :ultivysaur:
2nd Form: :ultgreninja::ultincineroar::ultcharizard:
Legendary: :ultmewtwo:? (Might just be Basic depending on how legendary counts)
Ivysaur is grass/poison

I knew I was missing something! I thought the Bulbasaur line didn’t get Poison until Venosaur. Thats one less type to rep I suppose. Thanks.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
(At least I am) I'm trying to limit it to Dual types ONLY, that way I can have 3 mons that can attempt to cover all 3 remaining gens, and all 6 remining types.

I tried many times and given the official Pokemon we have (tho Fakemon from Smogon University's Create-a-Pokemon project would help LMAOO) , it's impossible to do so. If anyone comes up with a trio that fits all this, props to you.
I almost had it with Shedinja and Kyurem but most Rock/Ground types came from Gen 1.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Just wondering, but, would Nintendo know about this well in advance, or is this tweet the first time they’re hearing of it? And also, how flexible is their Direct schedule? Are they able to move a Direct by a day or two at will or would that cause a lot of issues on their end?
They would not know in advance. It's possible that if a direct was planned for next week Nintendo may now be thinking "Let's push our direct back a week since this is going on" depending on the original date e.g. Thursday the 8th. They could take advantage of such a decision of their own that they could fix errors and add last minute things with extra time in their hands.
OR, if they're ambitious and competitive, even though this option makes less sense to me personally, if the Direct is planned for, let's say Tuesday, Nintendo goes "ok Sony's doing their thing, we'll do our thing and we won't change the date". Though these two companies have a general audience that differs to a decent extent from the other, so in a way, having both a Direct and a State of Play on the same week isn't TOO crazy.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord

Armaldo for Gen 3 Bug/Rock
Kyurem for Gen 5/Dragon/Ice
Runerigus for Gen 8/Ground/Ghost
Kind of a crummy lineup, but I wanted to see if you could perfectly fill out all categories without double-dipping.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Also, just for fun I’ve compiled the forms each Pokemon reps.
Baby Forms: :ultpichu:
1st Form: :ultpikachu::ultsquirtle::ultjigglypuff:
2nd Form: :ultivysaur:
3rd Form: :ultlucario::ultgreninja::ultincineroar::ultcharizard:
Legendary: :ultmewtwo:

I knew I was missing something! I thought the Bulbasaur line didn’t get Poison until Venosaur. Thats one less type to rep I suppose. Thanks.
This might just be TGC, but I think it goes Baby, Basic, 1st Evolution, and 2nd Evolution, so that would make it:
Baby: :ultpichu:
Basic: :ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff::ultmewtwo::ultsquirtle::ultlucario:
1st: :ultivysaur:
2nd: :ultcharizard::ultgreninja::ultincineroar:

...I think. Is legendary considered it's own tier?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Armaldo for Gen 3 Bug/Rock
Kyurem for Gen 5/Dragon/Ice
Runerigus for Gen 8/Ground/Ghost
Kind of a crummy lineup, but I wanted to see if you could perfectly fill out all categories without double-dipping.
I actually like all of those Pokémon so I’d be happy at least.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Man, I don't care if it's in a September Direct or wherever else; I just wanna see a Project X Zone 3 one day.
Big heccin same

probably a coincidence but 2 came out during the tail end of Smash 4’s DLC… if 3 is planned, we might hopefully see it soon??

LAA9000

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
JUST#956
3DS FC
0361-9069-2936
Switch FC
SW-5393-4946-0209
Alright.....so if the direct is happening next week, then it is good after seeing the Playstation Direct appearing the week after. Taking a whack at the Direct's potential content, I can say Nintendo will present:
1. Games for Fall 2021 of New and known title
2. Another Squid Research Lab for Splatoon 3? (To get the crowd prepped to dip Back into the Ink next year)
3. Quick game title reminders of games coming up like Warioware Get it Together days away and Metroid Dread creeping in next month.
4. Smash Ultimate Character reveal or a announcement for the Sakurai Presents video. Which may appear days or a week later.
5. Any potential surprise drop from long hiatus like Hollow Knight or Cuphead? Not completely sure.
As for my predictions, I already have a bingo card ready for a potential Direct this month, though I'll share it when it gets officially announced.

For my more realistic predictions:
  • A date for a Mr. Sakurai Presents where the last SSBU fighter is revealed.
  • One of either a new Donkey Kong, Kirby, Fire Emblem or ARMS.
  • Possibly a localisation of Buddy Mission BOND.
  • Another trailer for Mario Party Superstars.
  • Possibly a deep dive into Advance Wars 1+2 Re-Boot Camp.
  • One last thing: Xenoblade 3 (only because Imran Khan wrote a whole dang article spoiling its existence, which I don't think he usually does. Can someone verify this for me?).
Inb4 the rumoured Xenoblade 3 is actually a mobile gacha game. I mean, think about it: the Core Crystal mechanic in 2 was basically a gacha, and past characters returning are perfect money launderers. The truth is out there.

Paraster

Smash Lord

Poison: :ultivysaur: (Secondary)

That is 12/18 types represented. 7 through Primary typing, 5 through Secondary Typing.
So, if we want to be really strict about only representing new types and Generations.
We have Gen 3, 5, and 8. And the types must be Bug, Dragon, Ghost, Ground, Rock, and Ice.
I'm happy people are citing Runerigus (haven't played SS myself, but the Yamask line as a whole has been a personal favorite of mine).

My own picks:

Ghost/Ground: Runerigus (Gen VIII)
Bug: Volcarona, Leavanny, or Galvantula (Gen V)
Rock: Aggron, Armaldo, or Cradily (Gen III)
Ice: Glalie (Gen III) or Galarian Darmanitan (Gen VIII)
Dragon: Haxorus or Hydreigon (Gen V)

Honorable mentions to Dhelmise (Ghost/Grass), Noivern (Flying/Dragon), and Alolan Sandslash (Ice/Steel), which fulfill type requirements but not gen requirements.

Last edited:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
They would not know in advance. It's possible that if a direct was planned for next week Nintendo may now be thinking "Let's push our direct back a week since this is going on" depending on the original date e.g. Thursday the 8th. They could take advantage of such a decision of their own that they could fix errors and add last minute things with extra time in their hands.
OR, if they're ambitious and competitive, even though this option makes less sense to me personally, if the Direct is planned for, let's say Tuesday, Nintendo goes "ok Sony's doing their thing, we'll do our thing and we won't change the date". Though these two companies have a general audience that differs to a decent extent from the other, so in a way, having both a Direct and a State of Play on the same week isn't TOO crazy.
Well, during E3 week, all of the participating companies have their presentations in a close timeframe, but not simultaneously. If it were a large issue, they'd space them out more now that E3 is online only and could be theoretically more flexible in terms of being spread out more. Thus, I don't think it'd be too much of an issue if they're in the same week, as long as Nintendo wasn't planning on having it on Thursday specifically.

Besides, Nintendo simply can't wait another week if they want to promote Warioware in the Direct before its release. There's no way to tell whether or not they consider that to be a significant priority, however.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
You're thinking of Black and White 2. Black and White sold very good, not that far off from Diamond and Pearl.

But still can't have nice things and originality, hardly even once in a while...
I won't speak on sales, but the way B2W2 was marketed was definitely a response to how people reacted to BW. BW was exclusively focused on its new set in terms of not only the games, but advertising as well as you predominently only saw those Pokemon for the first couple years (offhand, only Pikachu really shown up constantly). Come B2W2's time they shift gears and focus a lot more on older Pokemon. The anime brought Charizard back along with a number of older Pokemon and characters like Dragonite and Cynthia getting bigger roles, the B2W2 animated trailer had a couple displayed prominently like Lucario and Arcanine, and the merchandise started selling old favorites like Charizard and Lucario again. By comparison, unless you were a Cover Legendary or a Starter (and even then, it was mostly just Oshawott), you really didn't show up as much in advertising and they started to get overshadowed. That was the start of GF/TCPi focusing more on older Pokemon and with XY onwards it stuck.

It says a lot that Chandelure, the most popular Unovan Pokemon going by multiple polls, wasn't promoted much in its generation. In fact, of the Top 5, only Haxorus and Zoroark really had a lot going for them.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
I don't really want a Gen 8 Pokémon but I think another Gen 1 Pokémon would be one of the few character additions that would actually infuriate me.
I'm so sick of Gen 1 pandering, and Meowth in particular is one of the most egregious examples so I would not be happy to see it at all. I already think we have too much Gen 1 and if the next game has cuts I hope we at least see Jigglypuff finally get the boot to (somewhat) balance things out.
Ah yes. My least favorite part of the smash discussion, the cuts. And its usually the most biased and annoying part of the deal because it usually boils down to cutting down all echoes and clones, discarding at least half the characters of the most represented series in smash (Mario, Pokemon and Fire Emblem), getting rid of most of the unique fighters because "they are not relevant", hoping to get rid of characters because they dont like their playstyles and putting their characters in a pedestal (Cutting my char! No way! Its great and its cool. Sakurai would never cut down my character. Its the others that deserve to be put on the chopping block.).

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Ah yes. My least favorite part of the smash discussion, the cuts. And its usually the most biased and annoying part of the deal because it usually boils down to cutting down all echoes and clones, discarding at least half the characters of the most represented series in smash (Mario, Pokemon and Fire Emblem), getting rid of most of the unique fighters because "they are not relevant", hoping to get rid of characters because they dont like their playstyles and putting their characters in a pedestal (Cutting my char! No way! Its great and its cool. Sakurai would never cut down my character. Its the others that deserve to be put on the chopping block.).
In for a penny, in for a kilogram, every fandom has its cross-faction brawls. Just look at poor Sonic.

Last edited:

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
The following characters should be cut from Smash: Marth, Roy, Ike, Lucina, Robin, Corrin, Chrom and Byleth.

In addition to this, they should be promptly replaced with: Tiki, Eliwood, Black Knight, Masked Lucina, Grima Robin, Camilla, TMS #FE Chrom and Gatekeeper.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Hey, I don't want any cuts either.
It's all purely hypothetically speaking, since it's bound to happen next game. It's kind of why I don't really like to think about said next game and hope we just get a port with even more content.
No, he's just not a native English speaker to the point where most people aren't sure what he's talking about most of the time.

He's a pretty cool guy though from what I've seen in previous interactions.
Yeah I realized that after I typed this. It's my bad.
I'm not a native English speaker either, so I should know better.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
In for a penny, in for a kilogram, every fandom has its cross-faction brawls. Just look at poor Sonic.
I suppose you are right but some of these arguments get pretty inane.
-"FE should be cut to be just Ike and Marth."
-"Any retro character not called Mr. G&W should be cut since they dont have new games."
-"Pokemon cannot have more than 4 characters."
Not to mention that it still boggles my mind that there were actually whining during this smash speculation because every character made the return. Because they wanted cuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom