• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I’m hoping that means we can expect more Microsoft characters in the future (mostly from RARE). RARE’s games from the SNES to the N64 were pretty much synonymous with Nintendo for me and I’d love to see a few more get in over time.
I dunno if they would do this, but I would love if the Spiral Mountain stage comes back next game, but it's the destroyed Tooie version in the background, since it'll have been a few years since Ultimate happened. I think that'd be a great attention to detail.

Also we never did find out what the deal was with that Jet Force Gemini and Blast Corps stuff in the code before Banjo even came out, did we?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I dunno if they would do this, but I would love if the Spiral Mountain stage comes back next game, but it's the destroyed Tooie version in the background, since it'll have been a few years since Ultimate happened. I think that'd be a great attention to detail.

Also we never did find out what the deal was with that Jet Force Gemini and Blast Corps stuff in the code before Banjo even came out, did we?
I think that was for Spirits, feels like the most likely conclusion

also there was cut Devil’s Third spirits iirc

ZelDan

Smash Master
When it comes to third parties and cuts:

Wouldn't be too concerned = Capcom, Sega, Bandai Namco

-These companies have been great when it comes to Smash ever since Brawl, or Smash 4 in Capcom's case, so I wouldn't be too concerned about them for Smash 6

Probably okay? = SNK

-SNK is a smaller company and seemed to be cool with working with Nintendo since they put a decent amount of their older games on the Switch, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them stick around for Smash 6. That said Ultimate is the first game we saw SNK stuff in, so we have no precedent with them when it comes to Smash, and we don't know what Smash 6 will be like, so I do wonder how prioritization will work with a smaller third party company like SNK.

Somewhat concerned = Square-Enix

Now, SE has been around since the end of Smash 4 and stuck around with Ultimate and even gave us much more than before, so I do think we will still see them with Smash 6. That said with how complicated and difficult getting content from them seemingly is, I would have some concern over what stuff actually carries over from Ultimate or if we get much on the side of new content.

Concerned = Konami, Microsoft

yeah, these companies are definitely on the iffier side. Konami we have to worry about because first of all, they are Konami, and secondly we have seen them dip from Smash bros after previously being a part of it between Brawl and Smash 4. ANd as for Microsoft, while they and Nintendo are buddy buddy now, who knows if that will still be the case years down the line?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Yeah I wouldn’t worry too much about Microsoft

SONY, on the other hand, if they got a full fledged rep from them directly…yeah I’d start praying

Joker, Cloud, Snake, Sephiroth and Kazuya don’t count

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I hope the next game has a revamped Smash Run:
  • 3-5 maps (perhaps it launches with 3 and gets a new map for each season pass)
    • Said maps are an amalgamation of various areas in video games rather than just being generic
  • Everyone runs around on the same map, so players can interact
  • Spirits have special functionalities for this mode similar to how Custom Moves did in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3Ds
  • New enemies, including some from series that didn't get any in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3Ds
  • New events, including:
    • Spirit Battles: You only get one shot, but if you win, you get the Spirit, and can immediately put it on your team
    • Fighter Battles: You battle a fighter, and if you win, that's one extra life in whatever challenge comes at the end (or just a bonus if that's too OP for the current challenge)
    • World Bosses: It doesn't happen often, but when it does, everyone makes a mad dash to the boss, and fights over who gets to beat it as they try and take it down. If you fight each other too much though, you'll run out of time and it will leave. And of course, the boss is also really dangerous so there's that
  • New end challenges like survival against an onslaught of enemies and Break the Targets
Probably would be one of the most fun modes in the series's history.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Do you guys think there’s any chance that we’ll ever get the Battletoads, Fulgore, and Joanna Dark in Smash at any point in the future? If we got them, I think I would be more than satisfied with RARE’s representation.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Do you guys think there’s any chance that we’ll ever get the Battletoads, Fulgore, and Joanna Dark in Smash at any point in the future? If we got them, I think I would be more than satisfied with RARE’s representation.
Smash will never ****ing die and they'll never run out of characters so probably. Battletoads and Fulgore would be pretty cool, though I know **** all of Perfect Dark

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Hear me out: next “adventure” mode combines the best of all the major modes

• Platforming sections like Smash Run with more enemies from various games
  • Interactivity and more in depth cutscenes like SSE
  • Similar thematics/fighter awakenings and the ability to use Spirits like WoL. I think the themes of WoL is what I liked most about it, gave me big Dissidia vibes

the **** is a Smash Tour

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Nintendo never published Killer Instinct in Japan back when they co-owned the IP so don't hold your breath.

In general none of Rare's characters left have anywhere near the same level of fan demand that got Banjo & Kazooie in, so again I wouldn't hold your breath. Maybe cameos as spirits or assist trophies though.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master

• Similar thematics/fighter awakenings and the ability to use Spirits like WoL. I think the themes of WoL is what I liked most about it, gave me big Dissidia vibes

the **** is a Smash Tour
Don't forget about the platforming stages being set in the franchises of the fighters like there was in Melee. That'd complete it.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

the **** is a Smash Tour
Roll the dice to see which level you get to go to.

Even in death, Chibi-Robo still haunts us.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think looking at companies as all or nothing when it comes to cuts is the wrong way about it. In terms of whether they will be present at all, fair enough, but priority isn't going to be partitioned off in entire company chunks, not the least of which is because that would result in situations like "ok, so we brought back all of Sega and all of Capcom and all of Square, but now we don't have the time/resources to bring back all of Konami. Eh, no Konami characters, then."

Much like how characters aren't really added on the basis of company, just because we get one, doesn't mean priority will extend to another. Because they're going to have to stagger and intersperse third-party characters. Will Joker be given the same priority as Sonic? No, probably not. He'll probably be down the pecking line some, with first-parties and some other third-parties in between.

And at some point, the axe is going to come down somewhere. Time and resources are finite. And that's all with them even having the intent to bring back all the third-parties, which they probably won't. They didn't even have the intent to bring Snake back until DLC for 4. Should the next Smash operate normally, the priorities are going to be on newcomers and series staples, and that's going to push some veterans off the table. And some of those vets will likely be third-parties.

I think they'll believe that maintaining all the third-parties an untenable system, and opt to only include some of the existing ones, regardless of how cooperative the company in question may still be.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I hope the next game has a revamped Smash Run:
  • 3-5 maps (perhaps it launches with 3 and gets a new map for each season pass)
    • Said maps are an amalgamation of various areas in video games rather than just being generic
  • Everyone runs around on the same map, so players can interact
  • Spirits have special functionalities for this mode similar to how Custom Moves did in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3Ds
  • New enemies, including some from series that didn't get any in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3Ds
  • New events, including:
    • Spirit Battles: You only get one shot, but if you win, you get the Spirit, and can immediately put it on your team
    • Fighter Battles: You battle a fighter, and if you win, that's one extra life in whatever challenge comes at the end (or just a bonus if that's too OP for the current challenge)
    • World Bosses: It doesn't happen often, but when it does, everyone makes a mad dash to the boss, and fights over who gets to beat it as they try and take it down. If you fight each other too much though, you'll run out of time and it will leave. And of course, the boss is also really dangerous so there's that
  • New end challenges like survival against an onslaught of enemies and Break the Targets
Probably would be one of the most fun modes in the series's history.
Yeah the fun part of Kirby Air Ride's City Trial was having all the players on the same map battling each other while doing the other objectives, Smash Run as fun as it was, for some reason put all the players on separate maps so it was hindered in that regard compared to City Trial. If they ever brought back Smash Run in the future I'd like that second point of having everyone on the same map to more closely replicate City Trial.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Truthfully, as characters, not unless they become a lot more popular. I love Rare, but you can't look at the company in isolation. If you pit those characters against candidates more widely, they do come up short.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Maybe in the far future if their demand gets loud enough, although I'm still waiting for the Rare characters that Nintendo already owns like Dixie Kong and Krystal.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Smash Run Enemy Idea: Territorial Rotbart. Here's how he works:

The player is minding their own buisness.
electric guitars intensify
The player straight up "nope"s out of there.
But plot twist.
He was actually behind the player, and they just ran into his fist.
K.O.!
Plot twist: it’s Hayreddin the Territorial. It has FOUR arms

(assuming Elma’s in Smash 6)

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I will say though, if Snake does make it back next game, I'd really like them to do new codecs. I know it would probably be difficult because of Campbell's Japanese VA passing away, but I would love to hear Snake's comments on Mewtwo, plus sillier characters like Villager, Banjo using Kazooie for grenades and holding her as a gun, and Incineroar.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I will say though, if Snake does make it back next game, I'd really like them to do new codecs. I know it would probably be difficult because of Campbell's Japanese VA passing away, but I would love to hear Snake's comments on Mewtwo, plus sillier characters like Villager, Banjo using Kazooie for grenades and holding her as a gun, and Incineroar.
They could have used characters other than the Colonel

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I’d actually put Konami as one of the most likely to come back because there’s no Kojima factor like there was circa Smash 4, keeping the likes of Metal Gear or Castlevania notable without having to develop anything in studio fits their current MO, and they have more reason than most others to maintain a solid relationship with Nintendo given their current profit model of safe returns on modest (largely) Japan only Switch games.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
That means paying union actors and we all know Nintendo likes to be cheapskates on that

FreeFox

Smash Lord
Clones, series with a large amount of representation, and third-parties (though you didn't say this one) are probably the likeliest categories to experience cuts though, so given we can only do vague guesswork about future cuts, focusing on those groups makes sense.

I'm not for people suggesting characters be cut simply because they dislike them, and that happens, but I notice people who are against talking about cuts often oversimplify the discourse around cuts to people simply exercising their bias, when, I mean, just by some of the categories you listed as typical talking points, there is often more thought put into it than just "I dislike x, cut them".
I agree. Its inevitable to get cuts. My main issue is the kind of thinking it begets. Most of it gets pretty insulting and compared to when speculating newcomers, it usually is voodoo shark logic and some biased idea of what makes a character important enough to stay. When it comes to making cuts, I never hear people say "This has a pretty unique moveset/This was a fun adition/This has some unique personality or flavour" when making judgment for what characters should stay. It usually has to do with ratios, how similar they are to other characters, how many games they have gotten between smash titles and how much liked is the character. The fact we barely have any knwoledge on how cuts are made and cans of worms with characters like Mewtwo and Dr. Mario, I just dont think for the most part, cut conversations lead to that much good.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Frankly I would be surprised if Incineroar makes it through the cuts.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Oh I forgot the name was different in Xenoblade Chronicles X. Is it different in Xenoblade Chronicles 2 as well?
No, it’s still Territorial Rotbart in 2. X has Tyrants instead of UMs and they follow different naming conventions
'Member that short lived Veterans Discussion Thread made in the months between the March Reveal and the June "Everyone is here" Reveal?

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
I wasn’t here during that time, what was it like?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Campbell: "Snake, have some chicken noodle soup."
Snake: "What? How is this going to help?"
Campbell: "The possibilities are endless Snake."

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist.

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
So it seems like the third week of September is the most likely time for a direct now. I just hope it's near the beginning of the week.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Frankly I would be surprised if Incineroar makes it through the cuts.
I mean Sun and Moon broke 3DS sales records, Incineroar has a fun moveset and a lot of personality, and Incineroar is still pretty popular from what I remember. I don't think it'd be weird to see him back, tbh.

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
Honestly, I'm on team "No cut will happens" / "Build upon Smash Ultimate" / "Go the capcom route with Super/Ultra/Turbo/Anniversary/Arcade edition style" for Smash bros.
It wouldn't makes sense to throw all of the work done on Smash4/Ultimate now
The next game will probably be an enhanced version of this game that just adds more new things and probably a Story mode also. It's the only way not to disappoint people. Also it's probably less work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom