• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Gengar is an evil shill pick*

*I'm personally tired of Kanto mons but my stance on characters is a simple "Are they cool" which Gengar does indeed fall under this
That’s fair. I get being tired of Kanto mons but I think of things differently. I don’t really care about Gen representation at all and it all comes down to the individual Pokémon. At the end of the day, I just want my favorites and I don’t care when they were from. I’m not even really biased towards Gen one since I would be nearly as hyped for other favorites like Cofagrigus, Golisopod, Orbeetle, and a ton of others from across the series.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
That’s fair. I get being tired of Kanto mons but I think of things differently. I don’t really care about Gen representation at all and it all comes down to the individual Pokémon. At the end of the day, I just want my favorites and I don’t care when they were from. I’m not even really biased towards Gen one since I would be nearly as hyped for other favorites like Cofagrigus, Golisopod, Orbeetle, and a ton of others from across the series.
That's fair, it's just that gen 1 tends to be the only gen used for fanservice by Game Freak, though they've been getting better with that since the backlash on Alolan variants being exclusively Kanto based so a lot of fans are tired of it

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Remember when we used to make fun of the portion of the Smash fanbase that wrote off an inclusion as a "shill pick" instinctively using dubious logic?

Then again, we also used to mock people who wrote off JRPG characters as "anime swordsmen" and now I see people unironically doing the same for platform characters using "Scrimbo Bimblo".

Jondolio

Smash Hero
I don't really want a Gen 8 Pokémon but I think another Gen 1 Pokémon would be one of the few character additions that would actually infuriate me.
I'm so sick of Gen 1 pandering, and Meowth in particular is one of the most egregious examples so I would not be happy to see it at all. I already think we have too much Gen 1 and if the next game has cuts I hope we at least see Jigglypuff finally get the boot to (somewhat) balance things out.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I don't really want a Gen 8 Pokémon but I think another Gen 1 Pokémon would be one of the few character additions that would actually infuriate me.
I'm so sick of Gen 1 pandering, and Meowth in particular is one of the most egregious examples so I would not be happy to see it at all. I already think we have too much Gen 1 and if the next game has cuts I hope we at least see Jigglypuff finally get the boot to balance things out.
But..
But..

Jiggly!

:039:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Remember when I said pretty much all of my most wanted characters would upset a lot of people? Gengar is a perfect example of that lol.
Gengar is a Pokémon I like so I'd be somewhat less upset at having them in Smash than most Gen 1 Pokémon. Though I prefer Chandelure as far as Ghost Pokémon go, since they're my favorite Pokémon. (Decidueye would likely focus more on the Grass portion so I don't count them)

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Gengar is a Pokémon I like so I'd be somewhat less upset at having them in Smash than most Gen 1 Pokémon. Though I prefer Chandelure as far as Ghost Pokémon go, since they're my favorite Pokémon. (Decidueye would likely focus more on the Grass portion so I don't count them)
Chandelure is pretty cool but I feel bad for poor Cofagrigus. Chandelure seems to be universally loved and I pretty much never hear anyone mention Cofagrigus.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Chandelure is pretty cool but I feel bad for poor Cofagrigus. Chandelure seems to be universally loved and I pretty much never hear anyone mention Cofagrigus.
Cofagrigus is one of my favorite Pokemon. :)

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Cofagrigus is cool! I actually used it in my first playthrough of Gen 5, even if I cheated my way through that one. I personally like its Galarian counterpart Runerigus a bit more, though I never considered it as the potential Gen 8 newcomer.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Morning, gang

It still bothers me a bit that we don’t have a playable Dragon type pokemon
We had Mega Charizard X last game but I get you. A lot of my favorite Dragon types like Mega Rayquaza, Kyurem, and Giratina Origin Form are probably too big for Smash but smaller dragons like Garchomp or Dragapault would be really cool too.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Remember when we used to make fun of the portion of the Smash fanbase that wrote off an inclusion as a "shill pick" instinctively using dubious logic?

Then again, we also used to mock people who wrote off JRPG characters as "anime swordsmen" and now I see people unironically doing the same for platform characters using "Scrimbo Bimblo".
I mean, the joke about the whole Scrimblo Bimblo thing is that it's the exact same thing that the people who've been pissed off at anything that isn't a cartoony platformer character for the past 6 to 7 years, it's still done mockingly

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’ve always really loved Dragonair. A serpent like character would be really interesting in a game like Smash. Not entirely sure how it would work though.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero

I remember.

SKX31

Smash Master
...What the hell?
Marvel: "Infinity War is the most ambitious crossover event in history."

SSBU Super Monkey Ball Banana Mania: Hold my beer. :roll:

That's fair, it's just that gen 1 tends to be the only gen used for fanservice by Game Freak, though they've been getting better with that since the backlash on Alolan variants being exclusively Kanto based so a lot of fans are tired of it
The issue is not only because Gen 1 was transformative the same way Transformers Gen 1 (heh) was, but also since TPC / GF made the concious decision to go as safe as possible with the marketing. Which works, but man does it come off as cookie-cutter and vanilla.

I also think another reason for the Gen 1 shilling is because Pokemon as a media franchise has a lot more widespread popularity so to speak than Nintendo's consoles. I mean, the best example of this I could find is when Pokemon Quest released in China 4-ish months back. Try to spot the number of Pokemon not from Gen 1 that were in this absurdly big ad campaign in Hangzhou (a city comparable to Chicago in size):

Zhuge's comment thread has additional vids with better angles, chose the initial tweet so as to save some space.

(Also, my AMA is currently live. Yes, unashamed shilling, but if you haven't asked any questions yet, please do so.)

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Marvel: "Infinity War is the most ambitious crossover event in history."

SSBU Super Monkey Ball Banana Mania: Hold my beer. :roll:

The issue is not only because Gen 1 was transformative the same way Transformers Gen 1 (heh) was, but also since TPC / GF made the concious decision to go as safe as possible with the marketing. Which works, but man does it come off as cookie-cutter and vanilla.

I also think another reason for the Gen 1 shilling is because Pokemon as a media franchise has a lot more widespread popularity so to speak than Nintendo's consoles. I mean, the best example of this I could find is when Pokemon Quest released in China 4-ish months back. Try to spot the number of Pokemon not from Gen 1 that were in this absurdly big ad campaign in Hangzhou (a city comparable to Chicago in size):

Zhuge's comment thread has additional vids with better angles, chose the initial tweet so as to save some space.

(Also, my AMA is currently live. Yes, unashamed shilling, but if you haven't asked any questions yet, please do so.)
Yeah the reason for that is probably the stupid backlash to Black and White only having new pokemon for the main game and GF/TPC going "Oh **** uhhh you like Red and Blue right?" Especially as BW sold pretty bad for Pokemon standards.

Also, shilling your AMA? Can't believe SKX is a shill pick smh

Staarih

Smash Master
I mean, the best example of this I could find is when Pokemon Quest released in China 4-ish months back. Try to spot the number of Pokemon not from Gen 1 that were in this absurdly big ad campaign in Hangzhou (a city comparable to Chicago in size)
Well, Pokémon Quest only has the first 151 Pokémon, so makes sense to use only them for marketing it.

But of course, the game only having Kanto Pokémon is Gen 1 pandering in itself so the point still stands haha.

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion

...What the hell?
Hahahaha Suezo? Hahaha. I love that his name is Suezo pronounced like "SWAY-zo" it sounds like such a horrible name to call someone like "GET OUTTA DA WAY, SUEZO!" hahahaha

We gonna put Holly in a ball next? Genki's already rolling all over the place with those shoes of his.

Suezo must have played Monkey Ball quite a bit

"I played the game like an ace
Now I'm in this place

TO SAVE DA MONSTAS FROM DE EVIL MOO!"

Monster_Rancher_Screenshot_0288.jpg

HAHAAHAHAHA.... his name is Moo... let's put him in Smash Bros JUST to hear the announcer go "MOO" upon selecting him.

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
They shouldn't even add a mainstream Pokemon at all, they should add some really weird out there pick like idk Magcargo or its pre-evolution, I forget its name. I like that guy.

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
They shouldn't even add a mainstream Pokemon at all, they should add some really weird out there pick like idk Magcargo or its pre-evolution, I forget its name. I like that guy.
Slugma

But yeah, I'm the guy that would go bananas if Shiftry was a playable Pogey Man. Like this heavily projectile oriented angry tengu guy.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I would totally be down for that. A lot of my favorite Pokémon aren’t mainstream. I already mentioned Cofagrigus, Golisopod, and Orbeetle but I also love Kabutops, Electabuzz, Gligar, Sneasel, Houndoom, Zangoose, Seviper, and a ton of others.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Hahahaha Suezo? Hahaha. I love that his name is Suezo pronounced like "SWAY-zo" it sounds like such a horrible name to call someone like "GET OUTTA DA WAY, SUEZO!" hahahaha

We gonna put Holly in a ball next? Genki's already rolling all over the place with those shoes of his.

Suezo must have played Monkey Ball quite a bit

"I played the game like an ace
Now I'm in this place

TO SAVE DA MONSTAS FROM DE EVIL MOO!"

View attachment 328780

HAHAAHAHAHA.... his name is Moo... let's put him in Smash Bros JUST to hear the announcer go "MOO" upon selecting him.
The cow says enchantment table noises

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Slugma

But yeah, I'm the guy that would go bananas if Shiftry was a playable Pogey Man. Like this heavily projectile oriented angry tengu guy.
Shiftry is awesome. It’s probably in my top 5 favorite Grass types. I would love to see it in Smash. I also like the Magcargo line so they would be cool too (I feel like there must be a Slugma meme I’m not aware of here lol).

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Alright.....so if the direct is happening next week, then it is good after seeing the Playstation Direct appearing the week after. Taking a whack at the Direct's potential content, I can say Nintendo will present:
1. Games for Fall 2021 of New and known title
2. Another Squid Research Lab for Splatoon 3? (To get the crowd prepped to dip Back into the Ink next year)
3. Quick game title reminders of games coming up like Warioware Get it Together days away and Metroid Dread creeping in next month.
4. Smash Ultimate Character reveal or a announcement for the Sakurai Presents video. Which may appear days or a week later.
5. Any potential surprise drop from long hiatus like Hollow Knight or Cuphead? Not completely sure.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Alright.....so if the direct is happening next week, then it is good after seeing the Playstation Direct appearing the week after.
?
The PLayStation direct is next week, not the week after.

Are you trying to say that you think it'd be better if the Nintendo direct was the week after the PlayStation State of Play?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom