• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Yet another question for whatever Phantasy Star fans out there: if a PS character was CP11, would it be someone from OG Phantasy Star, or the Online "subseries"?

The latter seems to be the likelier option in my eyes, but then again it might be my own bias speaking, as PSO2 is literally my first PS game and I've barely started playing. But to me, it not only has recency on its side with NGS, but also seems to be the more popular branch. What's the consensus - if there even is one?

Also how the hell is there no support thread for it? I searched for it several times but never found one.
Speed Weed summed it up perfectly but I personally lean more along the lines of OG PS because we don't really have precedent for MMO characters. It might just seem like a technicality as it's far from the only unrepped genre, but MMOs do have a tendency towards main characters without a name, set design, and even defined class/skillset, so I wonder if Sakurai even considers the genre viable to represent as a fighter. He'd probably be able to figure it out if need be, but with Phantasy Star there's the perfectly viable option of going with one of the defined protagonists from the original games, and with Sakurai's love for gaming history it's easy to imagine him picking that.

Then again I'm hardly objective here, I haven't played an MMO in my life.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
It is the best selling franchise even topping Smash Bros. by a 7 million margin. Sure, MK has many more installments, but MKX / MK11 have not been slouches when it comes to selling either. Them being able to pull in guests that thematically fit with MK's particular style helps a lot - specifically horror / action movie characters that would have no issue doing Fatalities. The MK team have also put in quite a lot of effort into the various modes (such as a well-recieved story mode IIRC) which helps a lot.
It's also big enough that it's mascot, Scorpion (Or at least co-mascot with Sub-Zero) got put on the hitlist of a god-like entity like Shaggy

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Speed Weed summed it up perfectly but I personally lean more along the lines of OG PS because we don't really have precedent for MMO characters. It might just seem like a technicality as it's far from the only unrepped genre, but MMOs do have a tendency towards main characters without a name, set design, and even defined class/skillset, so I wonder if Sakurai even considers the genre viable to represent as a fighter. He'd probably be able to figure it out if need be, but with Phantasy Star there's the perfectly viable option of going with one of the defined protagonists from the original games, and with Sakurai's love for gaming history it's easy to imagine him picking that.

Then again I'm hardly objective here, I haven't played an MMO in my life.
Yeah, I think so far everyone who gave an opinion has mostly agreed on that front.

It is worth noting that an avatar - or the Guardian, as summed up by Ivander's moveset idea - can theoretically cram more of the game's mechanics and techniques, precisely because they're avatars, and thus anything the players can do goes, pretty much.

That said, my view is obviously gonna be skewed towards PSO2 because it's the one I have the most experience on. But if the character is popular enough to be selected, Sakurai can probably make it work somehow.

And hey, no matter the case, it's likely that any PS protagonists that weren't selected would still make it in as Miis, so there's always that for representing multiple PS eras.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Speed Weed summed it up perfectly but I personally lean more along the lines of OG PS because we don't really have precedent for MMO characters. It might just seem like a technicality as it's far from the only unrepped genre, but MMOs do have a tendency towards main characters without a name, set design, and even defined class/skillset, so I wonder if Sakurai even considers the genre viable to represent as a fighter.
True, for the most part. The Avatar characters for Phantasy Star Online and Online 2 do have default designs and default names. And Sega uses them very often for their trailers and promotional stuff.
As for their movesets, that really depends on their weapon or class, and compared to most MMOs, there's actually not a lot of options. For the normal classes, each weapon only has 11 Photon Arts or "Moves", aside from Dual Blades which has 7, Jet Boots which has 4, and Rod/Talis/Wand which use Techniques instead of Photon Arts. If they dedicate a character to one weapon, they only need to choose the 4 Photon Arts that would work best in Smash, or in Jet Boots' case, they don't need to choose. And in Force/Techter's cases, they have 7 Techniques for each element, a few that can be ignored since they are Boosts/Heal moves, and use a Charging/Charge system like Robin's B-Special, Hero's non-Down-B Specials and Sephiroth's B-Special for different Techniques, as well as some Techniques for their regular attacks.
Compared to most MMOs where your characters have a whack ton of Moves to choose and use, PSO2 doesn't give a whole lot. Heck, in the case for Hero, Phantom and Etoile, each of their weapons only has 4 Photon Arts like Jet Boots and in New Genesis' case, each weapon only has 3 Photon Arts so far. So it wouldn't be hurting the character much if they chose a weapon and stuck to the Photon Arts that would work best in Smash.

Last edited:

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
i am curious why no one has brought up the true grit tourney? and whether or not it plays into the next character reveal?

Shroob

Sup?
At this point, no real reason to look too deeply into things, or even expect anything for the remainder or this week.

Next week has some oddities that are worth looking into, however. It could all be a huge coincidence of course, but with murmurs of NSO getting GB/GBC games, and the Monolith Soft website going down for Maint, with rumors of a new Monolith title soon to be revealed, definitely worth keeping in mind that next week could potentially be the day.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
call me a debbie downer but i don't think a corporate website like monolith soft's going down for maintenance would have anything to do with a new game when their games are promoted by nintendo in the first place. you go to monolith soft's site if you're interested in applying for a position, not if you want the latest on Xenodogs: Golden Retriever Edition.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
It's because there is no Shin Megami Tensei. Only Persona.

shank

Stating that this is purely a joke here because if it doesn't land then it just sounds like I'm not letting people have fun.
Waaait a second, I know who you are!
jack-the-ripper.jpg

At this point, no real reason to look too deeply into things, or even expect anything for the remainder or this week.

Next week has some oddities that are worth looking into, however. It could all be a huge coincidence of course, but with murmurs of NSO getting GB/GBC games, and the Monolith Soft website going down for Maint, with rumors of a new Monolith title soon to be revealed, definitely worth keeping in mind that next week could potentially be the day.
Honestly I want to know what GB titles people would genuinely be excited for NSO as other than like, Wario Land, I struggle to imagine what people would want

Shroob

Sup?
View attachment 328770

Honestly I want to know what GB titles people would genuinely be excited for NSO as other than like, Wario Land, I struggle to imagine what people would want
Even though it'll never happen because >Pokemon

I've been itching to replay the TCG on the GBC. I could emulate it whenever I want, but I'm kinda lazy. It's archaic as ****, but damn.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
I don't think I'll be excited for any NSO console addition unless it's the GameCube. I own both a Wii U and a 3DS, so I don't need to pay for a ****ty online service to play Game Boy and N64 games.

ZelDan

Smash Master
View attachment 328770

When it comes to notable first party GB titles, what comes to mind for me is:

Super Mario Land 1 and 2
Link's Awakening
Wario Land 1 and 2
Donkey Kong '94
Kirby's Dreamland 1 and 2
Donkey Kong Country 1-3 (there are GB versions of these)
Metroid 2: return of Samus
Yoshi's Cookie
Game and Watch gallery 1 and 2
Pokemon Blue/red/yellow
Probably some Mario spinoff sports and puzzle stuff I'm not thinking of
Kid Icarus of Myths and Monsters

There's some third party stuff as well (megaman, castlevania etc.), but as the NES/SNES channels show us, those would likely be more problematic.

of the first party stuff I listed, my favorite ones or ones I thought were legit great are:

Link's Awakening
Wario Land 1 and 2
The Game and Watch Gallery games
Donkey Kong '94
Kirby's Dreamland 2
Super Mario Land 2

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
When it comes to notable first party GB titles, what comes to mind for me is:

Super Mario Land 1 and 2
Link's Awakening
Wario Land 1 and 2
Donkey Kong '94
Kirby's Dreamland 1 and 2
Donkey Kong Country 1-3 (there are GB versions of these)
Metroid 2: return of Samus
Yoshi's Cookie
Game and Watch gallery 1 and 2
Pokemon Blue/red/yellow
Probably some Mario spinoff sports and puzzle stuff I'm not thinking of
Kid Icarus of Myths and Monsters

There's some third party stuff as well (megaman, castlevania etc.), but as the NES/SNES channels show us, those would likely be more problematic.

of the first party stuff I listed, my favorite ones or ones I thought were legit great are:

Link's Awakening
Wario Land 1 and 2
The Game and Watch Gallery games
Donkey Kong '94
Kirby's Dreamland 2
Super Mario Land 2
I don't think we should count Pokemon RBY or Link's Awakening on there for obvious reasons though, especially the later being Nintendo letting people get what they consider a 60 buck experience

ZelDan

Smash Master
I don't think we should count Pokemon RBY or Link's Awakening on there for obvious reasons though, especially the later being Nintendo letting people get what they consider a 60 buck experience
Hmmm, I suppose. There'd be much less reason to get the LA's remake if the original games was on the Switch too, and I could see the same thing happening with Pokemon, especially when I feel many would find the originals more preferable (I'd assume anyways, maybe I'm wrong).

There's still some value beyond those 2 games though. The underlooked gem DK '94, a reminder that Wario actually did things before the Microgame stuff, a convenient way to check out Game and Watch games for curious smash fans...

Ornl

Smash Ace
I've been itching to replay the TCG on the GBC. I could emulate it whenever I want, but I'm kinda lazy. It's archaic as ****, but damn.
Please, don't. Play Pokemon Card GB2, everything is better there ^^

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
What would your reaction be if a Gen 1 Pokemon were to be the last DLC character and it ended up being Meowth?
That's just like asking if I'd rather be disappointed on another pokemon being gen 8 Shilling (Cinderace) or KANTOOOOOO nostalgiawanking yet again

So in the end, I'd feel actually more disappointed than Cinderace.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Please, don't. Play Pokemon Card GB2, everything is better there ^^
Just saying, this comes across as somewhat condescending. Like it gives me the energy of those Tumblr posts back in the day that said “please love yourself if (you like thing I don’t like)” and I don’t like it. Not at all

Gengar84

Smash Hero
What would your reaction be if a Gen 1 Pokemon were to be the last DLC character and it ended up being Meowth?
As long as Meowth was part of a trio with Jessie and James from Team Rocket, I’d be hyped. If it was just a normal Meowth, I’d be mostly indifferent.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero

I'd legit enjoy playing as team rocket and meowth.
Yeah, Team Rocket is really the only thing I like about the anime. I’d argue that Jessie, James, and Meowth are probably even more recognizable than even the biggest gaming icons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom