• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I can speculate that Nintendo may get the crowd ready with a Sakurai Presents video announcement on the Final Challenger. Like how Byleth's presentation played out when we didn't know FP1 last challenger yet. Though, it may end into another Byleth situation depending on the hype of certain characters.
So, like Smash fandom starts crying about how it's illegal to finish the pass with a fighter they dislike while I laugh at the sides with my popcorn because I personally wanted that character?

Because I like those situations.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I mean, Richter's only "gameplay" difference is just the Holy Water being an "Aura" effect compared to Simon's "Flame" effect. But it's mainly a cosmetic difference and functions exactly the exact same as Simons. So Richter and Simon have no actual differences in regards to gameplay.

And let's be honest, if Richter were to have any gameplay difference with his Holy Water, it would've been the flame/aura effect moving forward, but it doesn't do that in Smash.
It does change up how the two are used for certain match-ups since Ritcher's Holy Water can block Red Pikmin while Simon's can block Bombs. It's a minor thing, but in higher levels of play it can be used to their own favor.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
So, like Smash fandom starts crying about how it's illegal to finish the pass with a fighter they dislike while I laugh at the sides with my popcorn because I personally wanted that character?

Basically, if I get any of my top 25 most wanted characters this is pretty much going to happen.

Dukefire

Smash Master
It all depends on WHO will get that last invite. Many potential fighters were either as Mii Costumes, spirit events or deconfirmed by other fighters that came before them. So stakes (according to the person's request(s)) are a gamble to bet on and can fall hard if no contingency plans were made.

I'm just ready for this crazy ride to be over. Of course, spectating the Intenet's reaction is a bonus if you are out of harm's way.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Regardless of who it is whether highly demanded or not.

There's bound to be salt. Lots and lots of it. I feel bad for whoever the last fight maybe.
I think the worst case scenario for me is that I’m just a little disappointed. It doesn’t make much sense to get salty over a video game, let alone a single character. I think I can appreciate just about any character at this point. If I dislike them that much, there are tons of other characters I can use instead.

FreeFox

Smash Lord

By this point, I am pretty satisfied with this game. If I have to wait for a next smash to see the two missing characters I like, so be it. I am in no rush. I got this smash lots of MW including Ridley, Banjo Kazooie and Terry. With return of both Pokemon Trainer, Pichu and Ice Climbers and I even got to keep my favorites like Duck Hunt and Jigglypuff. Anything else, its just a cherry on top of what I would consider the best smash experience I have ever been lucky enough to experience.

Cyberfire

Smash Journeyman
Been a strange Smash cycle, we've literally been able to play the actual game for nearly 3 years now, but we are still speculating characters.

Now that the journey is nearly over, I hope we get a nice montage of Ultimate at the end of the final Sakurai Presents. Or the final trailer features a large cast like Sephiroth's.

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
Been a strange Smash cycle, we've literally been able to play the actual game for nearly 3 years now, but we are still speculating characters.

Now that the journey is nearly over, I hope we get a nice montage of Ultimate at the end of the final Sakurai Presents. Or the final trailer features a large cast like Sephiroth's.
I hope that the people who speculate actually play the game. Sometimes I feel like Ultimate's character choices are scrutinized more than how the actual game plays.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
As the final character comes out, whoever it is, people will play him/her for like a week and then forget about them going on with life regarding the next thing and following.
Not me. I still play all 15 characters I set to play (the moment they were revealed). Both with friends and online. Though It is hard sometimes.

Ivander

Smash Legend
I hope that the people who speculate actually play the game. Sometimes I feel like Ultimate's character choices are scrutinized more than how the actual game plays.
I do. Not a whole lot, but I do, especially with my family and friends. I would play it more solo if it had Smash Run.

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
As the final character comes out, whoever it is, people will play him/her for like a week and then forget about them going on with life regarding the next thing and following.
I wish people wouldn't generalize like this. I still play basically every DLC character every now and again even after a lot of them have been out for a while. I wouldn't buy the DLC if I didn't want to play as these characters.

The only 2 I don't really care about are Joker and Hero.

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
I feel that the ""best"" character they could end with is Master Chief.

Even though we already have 2 Microsoft characters neither of them are exactly associated with Xbox specifically (Banjo is a Nintendo 64 icon and Minecraft is multiplatform), and even though we have no Sony characters, we have at least 4 characters that could be considered Playstation icons (Snake, Cloud, Sephiroth, Joker), so Master Chief would cement this game being a true celebration of gaming as a whole.

Of course that doesn't mean he will be the final character, nor is he necessarily the character I want the game to end with since I have no attachment to the character. Still think it's cool on paper though.

But we're getting Cinderace so any discussion regarding other characters is ultimately pointless/s

Last edited:

FreeFox

Smash Lord
I feel that the ""best"" character they could end with is Master Chief.

Even though we already have 2 Microsoft characters neither of them are exactly associated with Xbox specifically (Banjo is a Nintendo 64 icon and Minecraft is multiplatform), and even though we have no Sony characters, we have at least 4 characters that could be considered Playstation icons (Snake, Cloud, Sephiroth, Joker), so Master Chief would cement this game being a true celebration of gaming as a whole.

Of course that doesn't mean he will be the final character, nor is he necessarily the character I want the game to end with since I have no attachment to the character. Still think it's cool on paper though.

But we're Cinderace so any discussion regarding other characters is ultimately pointless/s
The day Master Chief drops, my brother will get everyone (of our friends) to cosplay together as Spartans. He even has a specific spartan in mind for each of us. :shiro:

SKX31

Smash Master
Unless:

A) Someone in your friend circle picks the character up and you wind up playing (against) that a lot. Can include you yourself, yes.
B) A lot of people warm up to the character and the character becomes surprisingly popular (:ult_terry: ).
C) One or two high profile player(s) picks up the character and does really, really well with the character. Which causes a bandwagon effect and helps said character become popular to use.

Edit; D) Or a combination of the above. (:ultjoker: )

Chances are decently good that this won't be the last time this happens. For 3 years or hell even longer.

I'm not only speaking from experience here - several games have embraced the live service model and as such has its fanbases speculating about new characters and stuff 5 or even 10+ years after initial release - but also since I honestly could see Nintendo pushing for this direction for Smash 6. Splatoon development has been seemingly near-consistent since the original Splatoon came out - whether the team's working on one game or its successor - and Sakurai considers working on Smash 4 + Ultimate effectively the same development period.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Some people say the next character's gonna be a huge character as a sendoff to Ultimate.

Some people think the next character will be lowkey and disappointing.

But deep down, we all know

That Adol the Shred should have at least a handful of songs in the game
I’ll drink to that! Same goes for Killer Instinct:

LucKekkai

Smash Apprentice
Some people say the next character's gonna be a huge character as a sendoff to Ultimate.

Some people think the next character will be lowkey and disappointing.

But deep down, we all know

That Adol the Shred should have at least a handful of songs in the game
I actually noticed something yesterday: While Ys 9's Switch port released in North America back in July, for some reason the Japanese version hasn't released yet. In fact... it's releasing next week. On the 9th, to be precise. >_>

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I actually noticed something yesterday: While Ys 9's Switch port released in North America back in July, for some reason the Japanese version hasn't released yet. In fact... it's releasing next week. On the 9th, to be precise. >_>
Curious, around the timing for the next direct, surely this cannot be a coincidence and we get the absolute peak of anime swordsman in Smash to end it all

7NATOR

Smash Master
Well I guess the bad news is that no Direct this week

the good news is that it seems like the Direct is early next week on Tuesday, if the maintenance is anything to go by. So here's my prediction for how things are gonna go down

-Direct Announcement sometime this week, Direct on Tuesday

-Smash CP11 revealed in Direct, Smash Presentation on Thursday

-Release either this week or Next week

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Well I guess the bad news is that no Direct this week

the good news is that it seems like the Direct is early next week on Tuesday, if the maintenance is anything to go by. So here's my prediction for how things are gonna go down

-Direct Announcement sometime this week, Direct on Tuesday

-Smash CP11 revealed in Direct, Smash Presentation on Thursday

-Release either this week or Next week
The 7th to us would be the 8th in Japan right? Makes sense with the Monolith site thing… 🤔

7NATOR

Smash Master
The 7th to us would be the 8th in Japan right? Makes sense with the Monolith site thing… 🤔
It lines up that way yes. at the least, we won't have to wait much longer

Also I think Zippo took another L, since he Implied a Direct this week, and well...

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
It lines up that way yes. at the least, we won't have to wait much longer

Also I think Zippo took another L, since he Implied a Direct this week, and well...
When has Zippo ever been right about anything lmao

no really, WHEN has he?

7NATOR

Smash Master
When has Zippo ever been right about anything lmao

no really, WHEN has he?
I thought with the whole FP5 Character debacle, I think before the reveal, he asked if Fire Emblem counted as Nintendo franchise, implying he already knew the charcater was Byleth before the reveal

Otherwise, that's all I know of

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Yet another question for whatever Phantasy Star fans out there: if a PS character was CP11, would it be someone from OG Phantasy Star, or the Online "subseries"?

The latter seems to be the likelier option in my eyes, but then again it might be my own bias speaking, as PSO2 is literally my first PS game and I've barely started playing. But to me, it not only has recency on its side with NGS, but also seems to be the more popular branch. What's the consensus - if there even is one?

Also how the hell is there no support thread for it? I searched for it several times but never found one.

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
Yet another question for whatever Phantasy Star fans out there: if a PS character was CP11, would it be someone from OG Phantasy Star, or the Online "subseries"?

The latter seems to be the likelier option in my eyes, but then again it might be my own bias speaking, as PSO2 is literally my first PS game and I've barely started playing. But to me, it not only has recency on its side with NGS, but also seems to be the more popular branch. What's the consensus - if there even is one?

Also how the hell is there no support thread for it? I searched for it several times but never found one.
Mind if I ask but who exactly would work for a PSO rep? I imagine the original series has a main character you could use but MMOs don't really have descript main characters. Maybe there's like a popular NPC? Idk anything about PSO2 other than MoistCr1ritikal's video on it hahaha!

Dukefire

Smash Master
Correct me if I'm wrong, but every new title in the Phantasy Star series started with a new roster of characters. So, it is hard to choose which one out of the history of the series.

Still, if another character was coming from SEGA, I would prefer another Sonic rep. Though, that is up to Sakurai and Nintendo for the final choice.

Dukefire

Smash Master
I'm a bit hesitant to say for sure that the Direct's coming next week guaranteed.

But between the NSO rumors, and now Monolith's website maint, it does seem plausible, moreso than normal.

The fact this could all be done in 7 days is surreal.
Well, let's hope that it is real.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I'm a bit hesitant to say for sure that the Direct's coming next week guaranteed.

But between the NSO rumors, and now Monolith's website maint, it does seem plausible, moreso than normal.

The fact this could all be done in 7 days is surreal.
What if they DONT reveal the final character then and there but instead announce a date for a final presentation, stating the last character will be revealed there?

if that’s the case I hope we don’t have to wait more than 3 weeks for the final presentation

Shroob

Sup?
What if they DONT reveal the final character then and there but instead announce a date for a final presentation, stating the last character will be revealed there?

if that’s the case I hope we don’t have to wait more than 3 weeks for the final presentation
I mean, if they announce a date, then we have an actual date for the end. People will be slightly disappointed that it wasn't done here and now, but people will get excited for the final presentation all the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom