• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diablo III: Not even death can save you from me

O D I N

Smash Hero
GameAngel64's house, getting my @#% handed to me.
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
tank wizard?
Sure, why not?

http://d3db.com/tool/calculator/wizard/21185

That's just looking through the skills, and seeing what would be beneficial, but it's completely do able. You just stack a shield instead of your orb/totem/thingy, and get Vitality and Strength as your secondary stats (Strength buffs armor). My Stat priority would be INT>VIT>STR. Str does you no good if you don't have a ton of health.

DallasPhat

Smash Master
Planking Gnes While He Watches Invincible Youth
Wrong... They abuse no vitality, energy armor with force rune and galvinizing wind. Goal is to have 0 vitality and a ton of INT. The build is pretty simple, you get hit double teleport away, diamond skin when surrounded (since it works with Force armor, and if you have no + int, a wizard base health is ~4500, 1/3 of that would be 1500 and diamond skin protects you from 21k+ so it can absorb 8 hits before breaking). Essentially the less vitality you have the better the build scales.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#bcQSXO!Yfd!baZZaY Standard Inferno Wizard build.
:phone:

Jem.

Smash Master
Congratulations Wave, you now learned that Blizzard scaled Inferno terribly and likely didnt test Act 2 and beyond. To my knowledge, no one has cleared Act 2 without skipping, and no one has cleared Act 3 and 4 without skipping. Act 1 feels tuned and like actual progression, you can amount many of upgrades and still see the exact same results in Act 2.

AKA, everyone only fights bosses in Act 2 and beyond because it's impossible. Leaves a sour taste in my mouth to be honest, it isn't very fun when you have to resort to that. And it isnt a "lol get good" everyone past Act 1 inferno has shown they can learn mechanics. It's a scaling problem because Blizzard themselves didnt test all of Inferno.

Leacero

Smash Lord
Wrong... They abuse no vitality, energy armor with force rune and galvinizing wind. Goal is to have 0 vitality and a ton of INT. The build is pretty simple, you get hit double teleport away, diamond skin when surrounded (since it works with Force armor, and if you have no + int, a wizard base health is ~4500, 1/3 of that would be 1500 and diamond skin protects you from 21k+ so it can absorb 8 hits before breaking). Essentially the less vitality you have the better the build scales.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#bcQSXO!Yfd!baZZaY Standard Inferno Wizard build.
Just want to point out that with wormhole you can teleport 3-4 times before the cooldown goes off and not just double.

My build is pretty much what you linked there except I prefer lighting blast as opposed to the orb since idk it feels like it shoots faster and does more dmg in the long run.

EDIT: typo :(

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Act 2 is by far the worst act. The build is great regardless of boss fights/mob clearing. If you don't know why that build is good, then you're clearly haven't stepped foot in Inferno.
Haven't even beat Nightmare, lol. Wouldn't Hydra be better than Shock Pulse or Arcane Orb? I assume you'd be kiting a lot, and Hydra is free damage while you're running around.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Started my WD and got level15. It's really fun and unique, atm I'm using the Darts/Firebats since the other skills seem kinda meh atm.

(prim/sec that is) My main strat is to let Dogs tank, summon Zombie Corpses+Firebats/Darts AFTER using the Int buff :D

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
How should I be building WD around level 35? I typically run with my paladin friend and I have really zero idea of how to spec for damage. Right now I'm running flaming skulls with bounce, haunt w/ ravage, soul harvest with +mana, vampire bats, and gargantuan with elite+.

I've been trying to find a base dps calculator based on level and skills but having trouble finding one. But any tips on what skills I should be using I would appreciate it (I use elective mode).

Lovage

Smash Hero
Congratulations Wave, you now learned that Blizzard scaled Inferno terribly and likely didnt test Act 2 and beyond. To my knowledge, no one has cleared Act 2 without skipping, and no one has cleared Act 3 and 4 without skipping. Act 1 feels tuned and like actual progression, you can amount many of upgrades and still see the exact same results in Act 2.

AKA, everyone only fights bosses in Act 2 and beyond because it's impossible. Leaves a sour taste in my mouth to be honest, it isn't very fun when you have to resort to that. And it isnt a "lol get good" everyone past Act 1 inferno has shown they can learn mechanics. It's a scaling problem because Blizzard themselves didnt test all of Inferno.
lol, i knew people were doing this for world firsts, didn't know act 3/4 zones were still impossible for the top-tier players. pretty lame 2 me

DallasPhat

Smash Master
Planking Gnes While He Watches Invincible Youth
Haven't even beat Nightmare, lol. Wouldn't Hydra be better than Shock Pulse or Arcane Orb? I assume you'd be kiting a lot, and Hydra is free damage while you're running around.
Build runs Shock Pulse since arcane power priority is given to teleport and diamond skin and I find it to be the best aoe primary skill (if you're aiming for single target you're better off going magic missile), and Arcane Orb is the most efficient arcane power spell(if you're solely talking about Damage per arcane power, other alternatives instead of Arcane Orb would probably be Blizzard.) Anyways I was just posting a cookie cutter build that most wizards are running in Inferno.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I miss talent trees.

It feels like nothing I'm doing actually effects my character

Edit: I just realized the way they are balancing character builds is a lot like pokemon. Where the limited ability slots make up the character

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Just beat act 1 in inferno.

I have a lot of trouble, barbs seem to have it tough in inferno :/. My friend who is a monk is by far the tankiest I've seen anyone, even watching pro streams. When we were fighting the butcher in inferno the enrage timer made the fire happen all over the place all the time and we died and he just stood in it and fought the butcher by himself without ever dropping in health and carried us through it, was really insane. Going to attempt act 2 legit soon.

shanus

Smash Hero
Just beat act 1 in inferno.

I have a lot of trouble, barbs seem to have it tough in inferno :/. My friend who is a monk is by far the tankiest I've seen anyone, even watching pro streams. When we were fighting the butcher in inferno the enrage timer made the fire happen all over the place all the time and we died and he just stood in it and fought the butcher by himself without ever dropping in health and carried us through it, was really insane. Going to attempt act 2 legit soon.
Seems like both Monk and barbs got the short end of the stick for inferno. I keep reading how its so hard in Inferno Act II+ for melee since its so heavily-kiting based. We'll see once I get there, but a bit nervous for my monk :-\

Sharky

Smash Master
How should I be building WD around level 35? I typically run with my paladin friend and I have really zero idea of how to spec for damage. Right now I'm running flaming skulls with bounce, haunt w/ ravage, soul harvest with +mana, vampire bats, and gargantuan with elite+.

I've been trying to find a base dps calculator based on level and skills but having trouble finding one. But any tips on what skills I should be using I would appreciate it (I use elective mode).
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#aeUdkT!ZbV!baaZ.Z this is my build at lvl 37 right now, locusts tear through everything, and I pretty much never run out of mana using that rune + mana spiders, so I can use the life rune on soul harvest, which is pretty much a free full heal every time it's off cd. Bats are great for damage, but they force you to stay in one place, which is really bad from here on out. I'm just starting to try out spirit barage, and the damage feels pretty good to me for its mana cost. Before this I used acid rain, which is pretty heavy on mana, but the damage is great on the move. I just got the spirit barage rune phantasm at lvl 37, and replaced well of souls with it so I can move around more.

btw: you have advanced tool-tips on? or are you looking for something more precise for dps?

edit: running this build playing with a non-supported GPU, as a further testament to how well it's keeping me alive =P

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Seems like both Monk and barbs got the short end of the stick for inferno. I keep reading how its so hard in Inferno Act II+ for melee since its so heavily-kiting based. We'll see once I get there, but a bit nervous for my monk :-\
I think everyone is building monk wrong except my friend, or at least from what I've seen lol. He DESTROYS inferno currently, he can tank almost anything even in a 4man group. Very few monster affixes give him trouble, really wishing I had rolled monk watching him play lol. Act 2 will probably be a lot harder for us, but he carried me in act 1 and soloed the butcher while the rest of us were dead after the enrage timer made the fire constant.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Yeah I have a friend with a really good monk build, too. Another friend told me DH were useless in inferno, is that true?

Kal

Smash Champion
In my experience so far, Demon Hunter is viable, but must be played very carefully. In a group, you can output massive DPS if you have someone who is able to tank. Hylian (Barbarian) and I downed the Skeleton King wearing mostly Hell and some Nightmare gear; he tanked and I spammed Bombardment. The biggest issue for me is avoiding death. I could easily solo the Butcher if I could figure out how to consistently avoid his multishot chain thing.

What's The Point

Smash Master
I've only done the first quest in Inferno. After that I decided I should farm gear, but all I'm getting are blues.

What do WDs do that does a ton of damage instantly? I've seen WDs go into that spirit walker mode and finish off a boss in the face of a wipe, and one shot a full life corrupt wall thing from Act 4 Hell.

Inferno people should add me, GenericName#1485, or repost your names since I can't find them. Everyone I know isn't playing as much as me.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
In my experience so far, Demon Hunter is viable, but must be played very carefully. In a group, you can output massive DPS if you have someone who is able to tank. Hylian (Barbarian) and I downed the Skeleton King wearing mostly Hell and some Nightmare gear; he tanked and I spammed Bombardment. The biggest issue for me is avoiding death. I could easily solo the Butcher if I could figure out how to consistently avoid his multishot chain thing.
The other DH we were playing with had a strat that seemed to work really well, he used the move that replenishes all of your discipline, and then the rune or passive(I forget which) that gives a 30% chance to make that go off cooldown when you use it. So basically he would use that and vault away and then fire a bunch, and then do that again 6-8 more times, it seemed to make it so that he's always invincible when he needs to be. This worked with will and I tanking, I'm not sure if it would be viable by yourself however.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#aeUdkT!ZbV!baaZ.Z this is my build at lvl 37 right now, locusts tear through everything, and I pretty much never run out of mana using that rune + mana spiders, so I can use the life rune on soul harvest, which is pretty much a free full heal every time it's off cd. Bats are great for damage, but they force you to stay in one place, which is really bad from here on out. I'm just starting to try out spirit barage, and the damage feels pretty good to me for its mana cost. Before this I used acid rain, which is pretty heavy on mana, but the damage is great on the move. I just got the spirit barage rune phantasm at lvl 37, and replaced well of souls with it so I can move around more.

btw: you have advanced tool-tips on? or are you looking for something more precise for dps?

edit: running this build playing with a non-supported GPU, as a further testament to how well it's keeping me alive =P

Thanks Sharky!

I couldn't get your link to work though, did you do the link to this build?

I use advanced tooltips, I just wish there was something like dmg meters so I had a way of telling if I'm optimizing my dps since I mainly play with my monk friend who tanks everything. I'm sure their are differing builds for solo and being pure dps.

I'll definitely try this out. Also does anyone know a way to force move and not autoattack? If there is a way to do this it would make landing soul harvest so much easier, I hate how much Blizzard sort of auto corrects your aim. I try to click decently far from groups of mobs and I'll still auto instead.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I'm confused. I was under the impression that Inferno was supposed to be obscenely hard, yet I think I'm seeing people complain that it's too hard, or not balanced properly or something, only 6 days after release? o_o

And how many of those Inferno players have actually found many level 60 legendary items? I feel like legendaries in D3 are far less common than uniques were in D2... I don't find many uniques in D2, but I'm sure by act 2 nightmare I would find a few, even if they're crappy.

That reminds me, can you find crappy uniques (like low level ones) when you're level 60 doing hell/inferno stuff? The way item drops works in D3 feels a lot different from D2, I'm still finding Grays in inferno (which are utterly worthless, they only sell for like 3 gold why are they even in the game?) but they're always the good grays appropriate to where I am in the game.

Sharky

Smash Master
Thanks Sharky!

I couldn't get your link to work though, did you do the link to this build?

I use advanced tooltips, I just wish there was something like dmg meters so I had a way of telling if I'm optimizing my dps since I mainly play with my monk friend who tanks everything. I'm sure their are differing builds for solo and being pure dps.

I'll definitely try this out. Also does anyone know a way to force move and not autoattack? If there is a way to do this it would make landing soul harvest so much easier, I hate how much Blizzard sort of auto corrects your aim. I try to click decently far from groups of mobs and I'll still auto instead.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#bSUdgT!ZbV!bZa.ZZ sorry I made the build but copied the link to the page where I created it, rather than the link to the actual build lol

Jem.

Smash Master
We aren't complaining that it's too hard, atleast I'm not. I'm questioning that because Blizzard didnt clear Inferno, that they themselves tuned it improperly. Act 1 Inferno is pretty easy for me now, but even when I get upgrades, I can't fight anything except bosses in Act 2, and I believe that is still the same for people who have killed Inferno Diablo and farmed bosses for items. It's like they're ignoring all your stats and 1-2 shotting everyone. Act 1 is hard when you get in, but then you learn a little, upgrade a little, and you can do it easily. Act 2 and beyond is impossible and seems tuned wrong, which is the problem.

I mean, if it was just "lol get better" I'd be okay with that. But that isn't the case. If the worlds most dedicated and first to kill Diablo and start farming items still cant fight monsters in Act 2, I am led to believe it is a problem with tuning. When you step into Act 2 Inferno you'll know what I mean. Act 1 Inferno feels like a whole different difficulty. Act 2 is "lol we trolled you, you better enjoy skipping bosses"

And at this point it makes me not want to play until they fix it. Getting bored of Act 1 Inferno runs and corpse running/waiting for a wizard to teleport spam to the bosses in act 2 isnt that fun to me.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Inferno is meant to be only played with the absolute best of gear and refined character builds. The game has been out for a week, I don't think either of those are well understood enough to make a proper judgement call.

Personally, I don't like that 60 is the max level. I actually feel a little ripped off that blizzard wants to sell us the next 40 or more levels in a series of expansion packs like if this was WoW.

Jem.

Smash Master
There wont be new levels, did you not play Diablo 2? :p. I'd expect them to add an act and 2 more classes, not levels.

No one can get the best of the best gear, because the gear has a higher chance to drop in Act 2 and beyond and is slightly better. I dont have a problem if its just hard, but when people are decked in gear and still cant, that is a problem. How can you tell me it ISNT a tuning problem when Blizzard didnt even complete Inferno? I am doubting they even got through Act 2 and it shows. If you cant beat the game, you cant possibly tune it correctly because they dont know how the progression is supposed to go.

It's like being a ref for an NFL or NBA sports game when you arent a fan or dont know the rules. How do you know when to call a foul/penalty and when to let it pass? That is how Inferno is past Act 1.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Am I the only one getting disconnects and 2000 ping? I mean, it's happened less than once a day, and I'm hoping it's just release week difficulties, but has it happened to you guys?

Leacero

Smash Lord
There wont be new levels, did you not play Diablo 2? :p. I'd expect them to add an act and 2 more classes, not levels.

No one can get the best of the best gear, because the gear has a higher chance to drop in Act 2 and beyond and is slightly better. I dont have a problem if its just hard, but when people are decked in gear and still cant, that is a problem. How can you tell me it ISNT a tuning problem when Blizzard didnt even complete Inferno? I am doubting they even got through Act 2 and it shows. If you cant beat the game, you cant possibly tune it correctly because they dont know how the progression is supposed to go.

It's like being a ref for an NFL or NBA sports game when you arent a fan or dont know the rules. How do you know when to call a foul/penalty and when to let it pass? That is how Inferno is past Act 1.
Knowing Blizz as they are now, I'd bank on that the expansions would increase the level caps + add new spells/runes as well as 1 or 2 new classes. Diablo 2 didn't have a level cap (I guess unofficially 99) and most people didn't ever reach it anyway, so there's really no sense in saying that because they didn't increase the cap in 2 that they won't do so for 3.

Lovage

Smash Hero
QUESTION

what is your average ping (ms) in-game?

mine is never below 275. for comparison, i get around 40 ping in league of legends.

Leacero

Smash Lord
Theres a key-binding to show frames per second, I think its ctrl+something check in options. The ping you can see on your HUD, it's the little colored bar thats either green, yellow, or red.

O D I N

Smash Hero
GameAngel64's house, getting my @#% handed to me.
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
Well then...

My assumption was based off the only other character I've played so far (Monk), so Vitality for health seemed to make sense. I didn't realize Wizard worked that way.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
My ping is usually around 200-300 for Diablo 3. Today, it spiked up to 3000 ms for several minutes.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
QUESTION

what is your average ping (ms) in-game?

mine is never below 275. for comparison, i get around 40 ping in league of legends.
That's another thing I was hoping was just a result of release week shenanigans. My ping in LoL is around 80-90, in D3 it's 200-300.

The in-game FPS thing sucks. I would download FRAPS.
Yeah it's horrible. Mine moves so fast I can't really tell what it says.

I've started giving up health on my Monk in favor of more DPS and armor/dodge. My dps has gone from like 600 something to 1100 something, while my health went down from 11000 something to like 8000 something :p I'm still tanking for my DH friend, but I should do more damage than I have been while still maintaining survivability.

Started using Serenity as well, with the healing rune instead of Breath of Heaven. Doesn't heal quite as much, but it gives 3 seconds of invuln and breaks CC, which is HELLA useful. Also using that 15% cooldown reduction passive.

I keep cycling through Primary attacks, I can never decide which one to use, or which rune to use with it. Any "when you crit" rune sucks for me because my crit chance is still 5%. Crippling Wave seems to be my least used primary attack.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Theres a key-binding to show frames per second, I think its ctrl+something check in options. The ping you can see on your HUD, it's the little colored bar thats either green, yellow, or red.
in sc2 its ctrl-alt-f but that doesn't work in d3 apparently. downloaded fraps but its really ugly.

i'm still not seeing the ping

edit- were there any patches in the last few days? my DH was hovering around 3k dps (2984, ~3030 with enchantress) to around 2700 today when i logged in. No downgrades to damage have happened in gear, in fact i noticed when i made an upgrade.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Is there a way to easily find that information? As well as frames per sec?
in sc2 its ctrl-alt-f but that doesn't work in d3 apparently. downloaded fraps but its really ugly.

i'm still not seeing the ping
To see Ping: look to the left of your resource orb in the bottom right corner of the screen (spirit, mana, arcane power whatever it is)
There's a little green or yellow or red bar that displays your ping. Green is "good" even though diablo 3's definition of "good" is like 300 ping which is absurd.

To see FPS: hit CTRL+R and it is displayed in the top left corner. Problem is (for me) it cycles through the numbers REALLY REALLY REALLY fast so I can't see my true FPS.

Top Bottom