• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diablo III: Not even death can save you from me

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
edit- were there any patches in the last few days? my DH was hovering around 3k dps (2984, ~3030 with enchantress) to around 2700 today when i logged in. No downgrades to damage have happened in gear, in fact i noticed when i made an upgrade.
There have been hotfixes, like when they nerfed the 4 monk perma-invincibility strat, so I guess it's possible they patched some stuff, but I can't find any patch notes anywhere.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
There have been hotfixes, like when they nerfed the 4 monk perma-invincibility strat, so I guess it's possible they patched some stuff, but I can't find any patch notes anywhere.
How'd that work? Combination of Serenity with Tranquility rune and maybe Seven Sided Strike or something?

Is there a list of the D3 Sets? They all seem to be level 60, which is kinda neat, but I can't find a list of what they are/do. I wonder if they're better than D2 sets, without being "must-haves" like a lot of the sets in WoW.

edit: legendary ring spoiler:
They actually named a ring Obsidian Ring of the Zodiac! <3 D1 shoutout. I wonder if there's a godly plate of the whale or a king's sword of haste?

more edits: why are there so few Legendary items? Like, the site only lists 7 for torso pieces. Is it because they want to make them truly legendary? Are there more that they haven't listed (I doubt it)? Are rares supposed to be more desirable?
Oh, on second thought I assume there are fewer legendary items because each legendary has a bunch of random stats as well. :x

Divinokage

Smash Legend
ya around 280 usually here as well. I'm trying out wizard since im almost 60 with my Barb. It's pretty fun using blizzard and blowing monsters with meteor. Oh man.. =P

shanus

Smash Hero
I think everyone is building monk wrong except my friend, or at least from what I've seen lol. He DESTROYS inferno currently, he can tank almost anything even in a 4man group. Very few monster affixes give him trouble, really wishing I had rolled monk watching him play lol. Act 2 will probably be a lot harder for us, but he carried me in act 1 and soloed the butcher while the rest of us were dead after the enrage timer made the fire constant.
From what I've heard, it seems to be that Act 1 is easy for a monk in inferno, but all downhill afterwards. The main ****ty component is that you are basically stuck in 1 build with basically your spirit gen + all defensives. I've heard of other builds working, but general consensus was that you had to outgear that zone to crush it. I can't judge it yet since I'm not there yet, just what I've heard. Wrapping up nightmare tonight then on to finish up hell.

O D I N

Smash Hero
GameAngel64's house, getting my @#% handed to me.
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629

Kal

Smash Champion
This made me laugh. It's about lack of LAN play in Starcraft II, but that case is similar enough to the lack of single player in Diablo III that I think it's worth posting here.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Soo...Act 1 inferno is really easy for me and a few friends now. We are going through act 2 and it doesn't seem impossible. Things don't 1 shot us and we can still kill elite champ packs. Why is everyone complaining so much? It's harder but doesn't seem impossible at all. We are running monk/barb tanks and wizard/DH for dps.

Jem.

Smash Master
Apparently Force Armor just got hotfixed nerfed and you can't build around it now

Try to solo Act 2 lol, whats your guys' strategy/dps/armors/etc?

I know a lot of peoples problems is it seems only Wizard and DH are capable of soloing right now. And for me since WD is in the middle IMO, I have to have coordinated teammates for Act 2/good tank

DallasPhat

Smash Master
Planking Gnes While He Watches Invincible Youth
Apparently Force Armor just got hotfixed nerfed and you can't build around it now

I know a lot of peoples problems is it seems only Wizard and DH are capable of soloing right now. And for me since WD is in the middle IMO, I have to have coordinated teammates for Act 2/good tank
I'm interested as well.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103

I'm interested as well.
Oh I can't solo it, but barbs are probably the worst character to try and solo inferno with lol. I can solo act 1, act 2 is too hard.

Basically, the monk and I both stack +all resists and vit, we both use sword+shield. I use the warcry that gives 50% increase to all resistances and threatening shout to make enemies do 20% less dmg and attack 15% slower. Other than that I use all defensive moves with frenzy(with stun rune) to lock down enemies and tank.

Our monk friend is really the key though. His build revolves around generating spirit super fast and then healing us with it constantly. All his items are super tanky, he spams mantra of healing(with boon of protection) and uses Fists of thunder(with lightningflash) and Crippling wave(with concussion) and combos them to generate spirit fast and reduce enemies damage in synergy with the passive that does the same. He uses Breath of heaven to generate spirit while healing, dashing strike with quicksilver, and uses serenity with ascension. His passives are currently: Near death experience, Resolve, and Chant of Resonance. He seems to change near death experience and serenity some times for other things but for this most part this is his build.

As far as our DH and wizard go they are specced pretty normally I think.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
I haven't been soloing much on my Wizard, but I've been using a combination of Shock Pulse, Ray of Frost, and Disintegrate in my primary and secondary (grabbing the reduced cost rune for RoF only if I'm not using Shock Pulse). Diamond Skin and Frost Nova because they're amazing, Poison Hydra for free damage. Last slot varies between Blizzard, Teleport Wormhole, and Meteor Shower.

I still haven't leveled my DH much yet, but I hear good things about a crit-based build where you regen a ton of discipline through Night Stalker and Preparation with Back-up Plan rune, allowing you to kite with Vault endlessly.

Lovage

Smash Hero
I just hit 51, I'm having a hard time soloing in A4 on my DH.

My Build
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#aQdghT!aTe!YYYYYY

Devouring Arrows
Full Broadside
Acrobatics
Gloom
Fan of Daggers
Ferret Companion

Tactical Advantage
Sharpshooter
Archery

Anyone have a critique?
you really use multishot AND fan of knives? don't see the point in having both. btw try fire at will for multishot makes it really stronk

you should switch vault (or shadow power at the very least) with smoke screen. smoke screen SUCKS until hell+ where it becomes amazing lol, try it out.

switch ferret for caltraps, caltraps are 100% mandatory if ur trying to solo.

btw all DH should try spike bombs lol they're hella fun and good. **** fan of knives.

EDIT: LOL @ UR VAULT RUNE LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Lovage

Smash Hero
da *** i def. just gave homie some real advice

cept his vault rune imma hate on that till the world ends

edit: btw you should try out overpenetration impale as your hatred-dump. long range high damage super good for kiting (which, for hell solo, you're gonna have to do SRY)

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Is Night Stalker good for that? The description says that critical hits have a chance to restore 1 discipline. Seems pretty weak.

edit- @Lovage:

Yeah I just switched up my build so its kinda sketchy atm. I was using impale for ~45 levels. Multishot does 228% compared to impale's 250%, but I like Mutlishot's coverage a lot better.

I just switched the vault rune as a test. Honestly I think the c/d is a little long, but the idea is to have more discipline for shadow power, which grants me a lot of health regen and damage reduction. Ideally, shadow power would be active at all times, and even one cast of vault would take away from that. Honestly my mind isn't made up yet, and i'll probably have to switch it later for practical purposes.

I will try removing fan of knives. I was using it as my last resort "oh ****" move in case vault was on c/d (since it has AoE stun and huge damage), but honestly I don't use it much so it might be useful to try another spell in its place.

Kal

Smash Champion
Spike Trap with Scatter is pretty fantastic. Effectively reduces the hatred cost by two-thirds and, in a sense, increases cast speed. I also personally prefer Impact over Overpenetration. Ideally, you'd switch between the two, using the Impact for bosses, but Nephalem Valor gets removed when you switch skills. I also find Impact more useful against tougher enemies (particularly rares and elites). To make up for the lack of multi-target damage, I use Bola Shot with Volatile Explosives as my Hatred generator.

jpak

Smash Lord
is there somewhere where i can read about xp gains(like if im level 20 and i want to play with a friend that is 10), items drops, or just general things more in depth than the basic game guide diablo offers?

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
So the game's been out for a week, and the servers have been up for... most of that time. What do you guys think? Was it worth the wait? Was it better/worse than you expected? How do you feel it stands as a successor to Diablos 1 and 2? Will it have an amazing lifespan like D2 did (and still does?) Thoughts on the story/gameplay/etc?

And are set items colored green?!

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
Just as a word of warning, IAS on boots and belts are currently not working.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Iggy what is your battletag?

Edit: This is pretty awesome:

[yt]UDSPXz8gVKo[/yt]

Lovage

Smash Hero
got to lv 22 on hardcore, really gay cuz i'm getting attached to my hero but i know i'm gonna die pretty soon LOL

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
wow hylian, after watching that video i looked at the skillset the guy linked.... i haven't really looked at barb skills, those are freaking crazy o_o
And he has two 120 sec cooldowns on there, I hadn't realized there were so many/so long cooldowns.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Pretty good inferno wizard build:

Hey guys this is the build I have been using to farm inferno act 3 and act 4.
You don't have to kite mobs with this build, you can almost always just stand in one place and kill everything. You still have to move out of AoE spells like desecrate or plagued of course.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#bRXSOY!gYV!cbaYYc

Build description:

abilities

Shock pulse - living lighting
hydra - venom hydra
diamond skin - crystal shel
magic weapon - venom
energy armor - frost armor
frost nova - bone chill

passives

critical mass
glass cannon
paralysis (you can put something else here if you want)

This build offers you almost unlimited survivability with the use of energy armor - force armor and diamond skin. With minimal health diamond skin can absorb around 12 hits and critical mass passive has a chance to lower all cooldowns by 1 sec on crit so you will be able to keep diamond skin up at all times.

How is it possible that you will be getting so many crits?
Living lightning and magic weapon - venom both have incredibly fast rate of attack and they can both crit. With enough crit and attack speed you will be getting so many crits that all your cooldowns are practically non-existent againts multiple targets and less than 2 seconds againts single target.

How you play :
Engage a pack of mobs with your armor magic weapon and diamond skin up. Cast venom hydra and keep it up. Start spamming shock pulse - living lightning, you are spamming this at all times. Now you have no cooldown on diamond skin and frost nova and can use them as needed. You can keep most elite packs perma stunned in frost nova as you can spam it more than once per second. Unless you need to move away from an AoE ability or chase down a mob you just stand in one place and spam your skills.

You can keep most bosses stunned by spamming frost nova and when not stunned your diamond skin tanks their hits quite well. If you need to kite your hydra will still deal significant damage.

Gear needed:

Make sure you have no vitality, some HP regen, stack all damage increase stats such as intelligence, but most importantly attack speed and crit chance. At around 25% crit chance and 2 attacks per seconds you will start getting good results with this build.

Weakneses :

Fast ticking spells - spells like desecrator, plagued or fire chains can kill you really quickly if you keep getting hit by them. Try to keep these elites stunned with frost nova or avoid these types of attacks.

Immune minions, shielded - when mobs are immune to damage you will not be getting crits and thus no cooldown reduction. You will have to either kite a bit until your cooldown on diamond skin finishes, save your diamond skin for when the mobs are shielded or try to stun the mobs in frost nova

Ranged mobs - you will have to chase after them so they will take longer to kill.

Gameplay experience:

I am able to kill around 50% of elites without dying and 40% with dying once or twice but this could mostly be avoided with quick enough reflexes. 10% of elites tend to have a nasty combination of abilities and are hard to impossible to kill. I was also able to beat 2 elite packs at once on a few occasions. Bosses are easily beaten on the first try except for Diablo and first boss in act 3 (Ghom?) which require dodging their DoT abilities. I am also able to quickly switch to my MF gear before the killing blow.

Alternate build

trades hydra for explosive blast , allowing you to spam +75% damage explosive blasts

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#bhXSOY!TYg!cbaYYc

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Ya I've arrived at Inferno Butcher but we didnt do so well because our gear sucks so we'll have to farm some random champions now or make money to buy stuff from the AH.. mmm.. choices. I'm also trying out a defensive build for my barb, I'm at 8200 armor and its not that bad with my solo build. (Ignore pain, overpower, revenge, berserker, cleave, slam.)

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Ya I've arrived at Inferno Butcher but we didnt do so well because our gear sucks so we'll have to farm some random champions now or make money to buy stuff from the AH.. mmm.. choices. I'm also trying out a defensive build for my barb, I'm at 8200 armor and its not that bad with my solo build. (Ignore pain, overpower, revenge, berserker, cleave, slam.)
If you want to go tanky make sure to focus on resists. They migate sooo much damage it's insane. You want around 40k health with your resists AT LEAST over 400. Use warcry with the 50% resist all increase and the passive that reduces all non-phys damage by 20% for sure if you are tanking.

My current tank build looks like this:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#WRSVkg!eUX!YZcccZ

This is best with a monk in the party as MoH + Inspiring presence gives you insane health regen assuming your vit is around at least 40k. When I solo I change some things around, and if you are with other undergeared people you might need to add ground stomp somewhere in to save your friends and switch ignore pain to mob rule.

Basically though mash revenge, keep your shouts up on every pack, ignore pain for when your charge is off cooldown, charge when you are at low life, you will be full again instantly with just a few mobs hit.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Is there a diablo 3 community site/forum that people use? d2jsp is dead and was never that good for discussion.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
So the game's been out for a week, and the servers have been up for... most of that time. What do you guys think? Was it worth the wait? Was it better/worse than you expected? How do you feel it stands as a successor to Diablos 1 and 2? Will it have an amazing lifespan like D2 did (and still does?) Thoughts on the story/gameplay/etc?

And are set items colored green?!
I'll take this as a yes :p

Do you guys feel like you're progressing faster than you did in D2? I feel like I'm leveling up hella faster than I did in D2 (at least when playing solo/with a friend, getting rushed was always insanely fast and I'm glad you can't do that in this game)

What's cool about D3 is I feel like most people that play a lot will have a 60 of each class eventually because it really doesn't take long :3

DallasPhat

Smash Master
Planking Gnes While He Watches Invincible Youth
Weapon found, my new list of things:
3 socket w/ 100+ int chest (Hp regen would be nice) Found
15 ias, 100+ int and crit chance/Dmg rings x 2
Socket 100+ int w/ 4+ crit chance helm
If you find any of these please Pm me ASAP.

Oh yeah, gear must have 0 vitality (also health regen would be nice and I am willing to pay good gold for the listed item)
:phone:

Top Bottom