• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Debate Hall Postbit

Status
Not open for further replies.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
You realize I was the person who originally pitched the idea of the scale, right? I've pitched ideas, I've even made some sprites myself that I can post here at request, but none are as good as the gavel or Phoenix Wright.
Also, I edited my post because it DID come off more harshly than I wanted it to, hence the reason why I edited it so.
Sorry, I didn't mean you didn't contribute anything, I meant that you have complained as well and I have contributed as well, so just don't say all I do is complain.

There, that is the scale I made. Yes, it's bad, but I gave it a shot.
We can add this as an option as well. I'm itching for a poll, though. :)

I'm so freakin' impatient... sorry everyone. :)

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
So before this thread is closed, let me see if we can at least agree on the poll so we can get somewhere.

Yes?

M.K

Level 55
Sorry, I didn't mean you didn't contribute anything, I meant that you have complained as well and I have contributed as well, so just don't say all I do is complain.
Okay, now I understand. Sorry for the mix-up.

We can add this as an option as well. I'm itching for a poll, though. :)

I'm so freakin' impatient... sorry everyone. :)
We don't want to come to a hasty decision before considering all the possibilities! :lick:

EDIT: @ Zero Beat, Yes.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
I do think it's kind of a stretch
How though? A few people have mentioned that the yin-yang is a 'stretch' or that it's pushing things a bit, but how exactly? I'm just curious, because I can see nothing about the yin-yang that goes against debating, intelligence, civility, or anything that can be used to represent us. It may not stand for those things now, but like I said, it is a relatively neutral symbol, and we can forge a new meaning for it.

Edit: Yes Zero Beat, although I still think further analysis of each symbol would be helpful, as well as a bit more time and more opinions from other members. It's been just over a day since the idea was proposed.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
How though? A few people have mentioned that the yin-yang is a 'stretch' or that it's pushing things a bit, but how exactly? I'm just curious, because I can see nothing about the yin-yang that goes against debating, intelligence, civility, or anything that can be used to represent us. It may not stand for those things now, but like I said, it is a relatively neutral symbol, and we can forge a new meaning for it.
Well, I just mean it's not closely related to debating, really. I'd explain myself, but I'm getting tired of typing. :dizzy:

Just forget I ever said that. I have to admit, yin-yang looks cool.:)

And yes, the poll options look good. We might want to give everyone a chance to see, though, so they can have their final input. Like if RDK was offline and he saw his scale was changed it would be confusing.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I will agree with those images, anymore images will just delay the thought of voting for a postbit image too long.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
The Yin-Yang basically originated as a symbol of Taoism, and it represents Light vs. Dark, Hot vs. Cold, Masculine vs. Feminine, etc. It represents opposites, but not necessarily opposing arguments...I see a fine line between the two.

But, the symbols you posted, Zero, are fine with me. I'm ready to proceed with the poll.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Well, here's the white/gray yin-yang:

EDIT: I'm changing my name back to debater because I love you all so much.
And I got tired of having both a blue name and a blue avatar.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Well it does look more noticeable.

I'd still go with the original, but I'm not very picky. :)

Looks good, KrazyGlue. But do you like your work?
I will not comment at the moment.

Just kidding, they look pretty good but I'm still undecided right now. I still like the original a bit better between the two yin-yangs.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Yah I thought making it gray would be better, but unless it's a really dark gray, it doesn't look very good. Even then, I think black would look better, and you're right KrazyGlue, it does have that white border so it'll be visible anyways.

The original is better.

RDK

Smash Hero
I like the idea of Yin and Yang because of the opposing forces thing, but then when I think about it the scales represent that in a much better way (at least IMO). Feel free to call me a loser.

And I'm glad someone took the initiative to make another set of scales, but honestly the new one looks like a gallows. Just give me some time to touch mine up before we start the poll.

Edit: I made some changes to the scales and I think this one looks a lot better. What do you guys think?

Neisan

Smash Cadet
Currently I'm deciding between the Yin-Yang, gavel, and scales, but just based on which could actually become more of a recognized symbol, such as Grimer, the Yin-Yang takes the win.

Yah I thought making it gray would be better, but unless it's a really dark gray, it doesn't look very good. Even then, I think black would look better, and you're right KrazyGlue, it does have that white border so it'll be visible anyways.

The original is better.
Agreed on that, if it's really that big of a deal, we could just give it a 1 px border in photoshop.

When will the poll be up?

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Currently I'm deciding between the Yin-Yang, gavel, and scales, but just based on which could actually become more of a recognized symbol, such as Grimer, the Yin-Yang takes the win.
I don't see where you draw that conclusion...I think ALL of them would become that way if they were chosen.

And, RDK, that scale is STILL too big...>_>

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I didn't realize we were going by "cool factor", I thought that was the whole argument against Phoenix?

RDK

Smash Hero
I don't see where you draw that conclusion...I think ALL of them would become that way if they were chosen.

And, RDK, that scale is STILL too big...>_>

There's the final version. And if those Yin Yang symbols are going to be considered they need to be resized too; they're way too big.

Neisan

Smash Cadet
I didn't realize we were going by "cool factor", I thought that was the whole argument against Phoenix?
Except when it has a deeper meaning, and you know actual relation. Either way, it's all just opinion. You probably don't find it to have the "cool factor".

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
And if those Yin Yang symbols are going to be considered they need to be resized too; they're way too big.
No they aren't...they're 19x19.

RDK

Smash Hero

Yes, it's too big. My final in Photoshop was exactly 19x19. You can even compare it to the official Kirby postbit.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
No, yours is 19x17, and Kirby is 17x17.

I checked. I copied it and started a new document in Photoshop and it is exactly 19x19.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Yeah, plus I checked before I posted it. Anyway, let's decide on one scale and one gavel. I think if there's two scales and two gavels, it will split their votes and make it difficult for them to win. And once we settle these, we really ought to start the poll. But first:

Gavel candidates:

Scale candidates:

No poll necessary for this; we should just be able to make a decision.

Also if you want to check image sizes, you could always just right click it and then click properties. :)
It doesn't seem to work with safari, but it's good with internet explorere and firefox.

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
Yeah, plus I checked before I posted it. Anyway, let's decide on one scale and one gavel. I think if there's two scales and two gavels, it will split their votes and make it difficult for them to win. And once we settle these, we really ought to start the poll. But first:

Gavel candidates:

Scale candidates:

No poll necessary for this; we should just be able to make a decision.

Also if you want to check image sizes, you could always just right click it and then click properties. :)
It doesn't seem to work with safari, but it's good with internet explorer and firefox.
Personally, I'd go with the second of both of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom