• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Debate Hall Postbit

Status
Not open for further replies.

M.K

Level 55
I can change it, it's no big deal. So that's three votes for the scale, although once again I'm fine with the gavel too.
Unless you are counting your own vote, then only 2 votes are in. (Straked and Aesir)

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I didn't know this was a voting process. If it is, then I'm still torn between the two.

I think more people would get that the gavel means we're debaters. Don't know of too many people on this site that have heard of a libra scale, let alone know what it's used for.

I'm fine with both, but if I had a choice, I liked the scale's sprite better.

M.K

Level 55
I didn't know this was a voting process. If it is, then I'm still torn between the two.

I think more people would get that the gavel means we're debaters. Don't know of too many people on this site that have heard of a libra scale, let alone know what it's used for.

I'm fine with both, but if I had a choice, I liked the scale's sprite better.
The scale's sprite is too big, plus it looks too pixelated and shoddy to be an official icon.
If it was touched up a bit and maybe made symmetrical, then I would consider it.

But I still think the gavel is amazing. Great job, FirustheHedgehog!

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
People said:
My personal favorites. :)
I guess this doesn't narrow it down much... Except for the smash logo one. Only because I don't think it would be visible. Well, also because we already have a smash logo postbit to indicate whether we are online, and it might look redundant.

I think we should start voting on the 5 images I quoted. :)

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
I'd go with the scale, simply because in a debate, there's mainly two open sides, the traditional seperate ideas of an arguement.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
In the Proving Grounds, it's not like that. It's more like the gavel where RDK and the other vets smack some sense into the newbies.

But I'm liking the scale more because of your way of thinking.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
So do we have a poll with the following:

Or simply vote here? My vote's on Phoenix Wright(3) but I wouldn't mind the scale.
Poll is a good idea, that way voting is private and nobody has to search through the thread and count up all the votes. I'm still undecided on what I'm voting for.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I think we should probably resize the scale before we do anything, though. It can easily be resized, but it will look at least slightly different when it's resized.

Poll is probably the best way to do it, though. Easier way to count the votes, too.

M.K

Level 55
I would much rather have a different scale sprite. The current one just isn't enough for me to go with the idea. I would like it resized or redone before we vote on this.

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
Okay then guys, update the scale, give me the final list, and I'll have the poll up. This thread will be closed afterwards.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
We might need a day or two to get the final sprites.

In the mean time, let's keep pitching ideas.

Maybe a debate podium of sorts? Thoughts?

Neisan

Smash Cadet
I'll whip up a few sprites tommorow, those being:
Blue Graduation Cap
Objection!
Libra Scale

No guarantees though. As for right now, my vote goes to either the gavel or libra scale.

Amide

Smash Lord
I think the Phoenix Wright one was pretty well done. Who wants a boring gavel?

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Objection!
I tried doing this one, but I don't think it's physically possible to fit "Objection!" into 19 pixels. Just doing the math it already seems impossible.

RDK

Smash Hero
I'll re-touch the libra scale when I get the time because I'm really starting to like that idea. That or the gavel pounding the podium thingy.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
It would probably be very difficult to make a 19x19 podium that people would be able to recognize as a podium. It seems like it would just look like a brown rectangle.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I'm Manfred von Karma though :(
Tbh, they all seem nice, so I have no OBJECTION!s to any of them.

Although now that Eor mentions it, Voltaire's head wins. In fact, the whole Debate Hall should change their avatar to the statue of Voltaire's head.

aeghrur

Smash Champion
I'm more for the Phoenix Wright one. :)
Cmon, grimer vs. Phoenix Wright? Yeah, everyone would want to be in the DH then. :p

:093:

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
I like the Phoenix Wright one, it's pretty cool.

Objection would be really cool but it doesn't fit as others have mentioned. Now we just gotta wait for the poll I guess.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Wow this thread sparked quite a spur of activity around here. Five pages of posts in one day.

I like most of the ideas so far, but Phoenix Wright has my vote if he's an option.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Pheonix Wright would be my last choice. It doesn't look bad, but it's just kind of random and I don't think it fits well as something that symbolizes the DH. I think most of us would like it for a few days and then just get tired of it. I'm tired of it already. :(

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Pheonix Wright would be my last choice. It doesn't look bad, but it's just kind of random and I don't think it fits well as something that symbolizes the DH. I think most of us would like it for a few days and then just get tired of it. I'm tired of it already. :(
I second this, besides we mean more business the n the BR. So far, the scale holds me.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Being a defense attorney means you have to know how to debate or your going to make yourself look foolish. Pheonix Wright is the debater that come's up with interesting thoughts that no one could ever think of right out the bat, that's why I will say Pheonix Wright.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I would say Phoenix, but the proposed icon for him is terribly ugly.

So I would say go with the scale, unless somebody can make a decent looking Phoenix icon.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I wouldn't get tired of it. =P

I second this, besides we mean more business the n the BR. So far, the scale holds me.
Who says Phoenix Wright is like a BRoom icon? He just happens to be a character who can represent the DH who also happens to be well-known and liked.

Being a defense attorney means you have to know how to debate or your going to make yourself look foolish. Pheonix Wright is the debater that come's up with interesting thoughts that no one could ever think of right out the bat, that's why I will say Pheonix Wright.
Exactly this, plus Phoenix's signature is "OBJECTION!" Sure in his case it applies to court cases and law, which isn't necessarily DH-oriented, but it's become commonly used by people as a means to disagree and give a counter-point.

Also, the Libra Scale isn't really all that representative of the Debate Hall, come to think of it...I wasn't thinking about it before, but it basically represents this:

The symbol...or glyph...of Libra is generally considered to be a representation of the Beam of the Balance. However, in ancient times, it was thought to depict the top of the Euphratean Altar. Of course, the standard image is that of the scales, indicative of balance, equilibrium and justice...a sign of cosmic reciprocity and cooperation rather than competition.
Source: http://www.novareinna.com/constellation/libra.html

The thing that stands out is the "cooperation rather than competition", since, while we remain civil, the DH is still about a competition of wits to debate your side of the argument.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Karma is better than Phoenix. He is more infamous for objections, to the point where he'd object if you so much as breathe too loudly.

He's also mad good at putting forward a perfect case.
Of course, there's no bias involved here at all.

I quite like The Scales of Justice though.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
I wouldn't get tired of it. =P

Who says Phoenix Wright is like a BRoom icon? He just happens to be a character who can represent the DH who also happens to be well-known and liked.
Umm, they both represent jokes lol? I'm not saying ti is bad, but a scale conveys our message better.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Umm, they both represent jokes lol? I'm not saying ti is bad, but a scale conveys our message better.
Phoenix doesn't represent a joke.

And, as I said, the scale is actually sort of contradictory to conveying the DH.

M.K

Level 55
Have you never played Phoenix Wright? Phoenix is nothing of a joke, and perfectly conveys our message.
And I agree with Firus, the scale is more of a "coming together in balance, which completely does not represent the message we are trying to send. Since when have we "come together in balance" to argue?
The scale also represents equality, which definetly does not convey "Debating' to me.

And as I've stated before, the scale is still too big and the icon is pixelated and not well done. We have to see another fitting one before the poll is initiated.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Did you read the last few posts...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom