• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DBR Blogs - New blog by Bob Money!

strawhats

Smash Master
I actually never thought I was going to beat Wes or Zanguzen back in 2005. Then, it just happened, through pure effort and constantly going to tournaments and increasing my skill. A few months after my first tournament, also in 2005, HugS actually took me out of GS2 (it was like my, i don't know, 10th tournament at this time?) 2-1 and then Wes beat me afterwords I think (or maybe it was eddie?). Ken and Mow also 4 stocked me (marth vs fox for Ken and then a fox ditto from Mow) in friendlies. Only difference is, Mow kept playing me so I could get better, while Ken would not play me again (douche). I guess since he 4 stocked me he wanted to keep that in my head or something. And it did. Then I found later on DC++ he said I wasn't very hard and was overrated (something along those lines). Boy was I mad. Because of that, I made it one of my goals to beat him. Also, I wanted to prove to everyone to show them how good I was. That's the main reason I played, besides actually loving the game and the tournaments (I miss the melee days. Melee is a way better game than Brawl is for tournaments). Staying at Oro's house was really fun, playing Wife, husband, krazyjones, everyone else. It was just super, super fun, and honestly I'll never forget it and I wish I could go back and it could always be like that.

I kept going to tournaments, kept learning new things (mostly from my own testing) and wouldn't you know I would beat Ken in a 3/5 set one year later, KDJ most of our Fox ditto sets (I couldn't counter his Sheik back then though and that's most of the times he beat me I think), and then by 2007 I was able to beat everybody just by keeping up my routine of testing out things to learn new combos, new things to do in different situations, etc. I was capable of 3 stocking the top players of the time who I couldn't touch last year (I was able to do this to PC, Ken, and Chu all with my Marth, while in 2006 I couldn't beat ANY of them [except Ken]), and everyone who wasn't as top as they were many of them I 4 stocked (I do not want to drop names though, but it happened to many of them). When I tell people to get better by just "play a lot" I mean that really is the EASIEST (and most fun) way to get better. In Brawl, what I did was I just spent tons of time trying to get good as EARLY as possible, and then I'd have that huge advantage for later on. I put super effort, especially right after MLG was announced, and it really paid off a lot. Again not going to drop names but A -LOT- of top pros I faced at orlando I 3 stocked either in the tournament or in friendlies. The hard work of improving, and constantly going to tournaments to stay fresh and test new ideas, really paid off a lot. If you can reach a certain point you will even be able to jv 5 stock people. As of today, I've done probably like, I dunno, 80+ Jv 5s (I used to keep track but half way through I just estimate) maybe? Just find a perfect style, by experimenting. Experiment until you can beat them without even taking damage. That's what I did when I was in my marth's prime (my marth used to be 10 X better than it is now sadly).

note : I do NOT recommend playing alone like I did to get better. I have OCD, and actually ENJOYED playing alone. I'm a weird exception. I have talked to many people around that time saying "how do you get better" and when I told them I played alone and figured out situations by myself and practiced tech skill and all of that (the problem with that is, once your controller becomes bad, all the muscle memory is wasted which really sucks), and they tried it, it didn't do much for them. So, I recommend just playing people. It's the easiest and most effective way, even though it's not what I did most of the time.
Yeah...I miss that frame perfect marth.

:phone:

Wake

Smash Master
I like these blogs! Getting a window into how some of the top players think is pretty cool, regardless of whether or not I like what's being said. I hope Mango, and others, keep up the posts!

Dimitris

Smash Ace
Link to HugS 'Eureka' blog is sweet. Simple.. but good. Probably old already?

10-6 = 4 :)

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Everyone obviously got better, but his Marth also got worse...

I mean the first thing is probably the bigger factor, but the second thing is true as well
comparatively speaking I think his Marth has only gotten better. more experience, adjustments to the metagame, etc.
the skill difference was just so much higher in 2007.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
everyone did get better but if you actually saw what my marth was in 2007 (played it not videos) you would understand i was much better with him then. I almost solely focused on marth then, and was able to jv 5 stock people in tournament with him back then.

toiletduck

Smash Rookie
Pretty much sounds to me like Mango is just saying his metagame is higher than Armada's... Not really johning.

Armada

Smash Lord
m2k: No offense but your Marth is better now then back then.

Have seen some videos when people say "watch this 100x better" and I can´t aggre.
More people have become better that dosen´t mean you Marth have become worse.

You are much better as a player now and even if you have most of your focus on Sheik ( I guess?) your Marth is still better know cause you learn new things and is faster now too

Good job to Hugs/Germ =)

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
m2k: No offense but your Marth is better now then back then.

Have seen some videos when people say "watch this 100x better" and I can´t aggre.
More people have become better that dosen´t mean you Marth have become worse.

You are much better as a player now and even if you have most of your focus on Sheik ( I guess?) your Marth is still better know cause you learn new things and is faster now too

Good job to Hugs/Germ =)
I'm pretty sure m2k means his Marth was better relative to the time back then. He probably doesn't think he got worse in the last 3 years, he probably feels he hasn't improved as much as some other smashers, though.

strawhats

Smash Master
for me...it's more of m2k's marth isn't as clean/smooth as it used to be, especially in high level matches . Even when he's playing people who are below his level these days, it looks somewhat janky at times. Not to mention he fsmashes a bit more than he used to. I dunno his marth just seems less cut throat and precise in stressful situations than it used to be.

This is kinda one of those chicken/egg things. Competition improvement/m2k not focusing on marth as much to improve it.

For instance http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ErKCoWO49k

vs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHPiv90eQDc

NeutralDamage

Smash Journeyman
KDJ was very predictable in that match vs m2k. If you let m2k read you that easily, he will be flying with speed and shows very flashy and on point. Example: KDJ everytime got up from the ledge using same tactic (jump). He didn't vary his game in that match much at all. Overtriforce on the other hand, has played that matchup so much vs Strawhat dahean, which plays kinda similar style as m2k. Over knew what to do in there. He knew how to escape marth combos, how to come back to stage and how to vary his game so that m2k could not read him. If m2k can't read ya, he doesn't know what to do and his game doesn't look as flashy, on point and cool as in the old videos. That's why so many are now saying his marth was better then. But people just got better is the truth

S0FT

Smash Ace
I find it pretty hilarious when people like Roneblaster try to argue that "so and so" is the best melee tournament player.

To win tournaments consistently it takes a lot more then raw skill. An example of this would be that Mango is arguably one of the most talented smashers, in terms of raw skill, but after reading his blog and looking at tournament matches you can tell it's really hard for him to play to win for long periods of time. In the blog he repeatedly said he knew what the better move or better strategy would be in different situations and that he really wanted to win the tournament, but due to reasons like "the crowd would not have liked it", chose not to take the better option. That is not playing to win!

If you are going to try and determine who the best tournament player is you have to factor in EVERYTHING that it takes to win a tournament not just "raw skill".

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
I forgot mango didnt win every tournament he entered for an extended period of time. ****.

Thanks for reminding me mangos never proven himself at any point ever that hes the best player to ever pick up a controller.

You have enlighted me in ways i couldve never hoped to imagine.

Zoler, your opinion doesnt count because you refuse to acknowledge the obvious fact terran is so far and away the best race. I doubt you can form complete thoughts ever on any topic.

:phone:

Zgetto

Smash Ace
zgetto - you realize im unbiased right? Armada is one of if not my favorite player.
Yes i realise that, my post werent really directed at you.

And also mango is one of my favorite players prolly more then armada ;p but i just think Armada deserves the title of Best in the world right now, that is all.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Armada - I'm not really sure. I disagree. If you saw the FC:D grand finals where I 6-0d PC and almost 4 stocked him in a minute first game, and all my other sets that never actually reached youtube, I don't think you would be saying that. I even 8 stocked Jman in 2/3 set once (granted he was worse then but he still beat cactuar and eggm that day iirc), and I used to pull out jv 5s in tournament not too rarely. I think I was definitely better before with Marth, at least in tournament. All my Marth does these days is choke (even before the match would start). That would not happen to the old me's Marth. I think one of the reasons is because I don't put any focus into marth anymore. When I focused on just him I seemed to do a lot better.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
fox and sheik are better

also I'm kind of retired but I still attend events anyway since I always do well. I don't have any consoles or games at my house, it's been in ohio and I haven't played alone for about a year. I doubt I'll ever get any better with marth

The King

Smash Ace
I'll try to give something to this blog by the end of the weekend lol, had a few good ideas on my mind (if Hugs doesn't beat me to it).

JPOBS

Smash Hero
Man I forgot Reneblade gave $200 to the Armada fund. Everyone hating on him needs to back the f*** up before they get smacked the f*** up.

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
I just woke up and thought the title was "New thread by Bob Marley" I was like k.

Top Bottom