• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DBR Blogs - New blog by Bob Money!

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
@ Icy - the last man standing at Apex doesn't mean he's the best necessarily. It means he's the champion. You can't just pick one biased tournament and say they are the best if they win that, otherwise, unless that same person wins everything else too, it just means they are the champion and then what, does all the previous big events not count then? "Best" is a subjective word based around overall reputation (and also people will just say their opinion regardless anyway). It is understandable for people to say Armada is the best because of his overall tournament record and consistency, always 1st, 2nd, and one time 4th as his all time low (I think he has overall the best tournament record in past 3 years, same way as I do in Brawl). It's also understandable for people to say Mango is the best from just seeing his skill display (imo the most overall skilled melee player as a whole, same as Ally in Brawl). Same way it is understandable to say Hbox or DrPP is the best for when they had their big reigns of 1st places at many big events for a good period of time.

Edit - Hugs, your chart is way wrong on me, I responded on the website with what I think.

edit 2 - responded twice.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
I actually never thought I was going to beat Wes or Zanguzen back in 2005. Then, it just happened, through pure effort and constantly going to tournaments and increasing my skill. A few months after my first tournament, also in 2005, HugS actually took me out of GS2 (it was like my, i don't know, 10th tournament at this time?) 2-1 and then Wes beat me afterwords I think (or maybe it was eddie?). Ken and Mow also 4 stocked me (marth vs fox for Ken and then a fox ditto from Mow) in friendlies. Only difference is, Mow kept playing me so I could get better, while Ken would not play me again (douche). I guess since he 4 stocked me he wanted to keep that in my head or something. And it did. Then I found later on DC++ he said I wasn't very hard and was overrated (something along those lines). Boy was I mad. Because of that, I made it one of my goals to beat him. Also, I wanted to prove to everyone to show them how good I was. That's the main reason I played, besides actually loving the game and the tournaments (I miss the melee days. Melee is a way better game than Brawl is for tournaments). Staying at Oro's house was really fun, playing Wife, husband, krazyjones, everyone else. It was just super, super fun, and honestly I'll never forget it and I wish I could go back and it could always be like that.

I kept going to tournaments, kept learning new things (mostly from my own testing) and wouldn't you know I would beat Ken in a 3/5 set one year later, KDJ most of our Fox ditto sets (I couldn't counter his Sheik back then though and that's most of the times he beat me I think), and then by 2007 I was able to beat everybody just by keeping up my routine of testing out things to learn new combos, new things to do in different situations, etc. I was capable of 3 stocking the top players of the time who I couldn't touch last year (I was able to do this to PC, Ken, and Chu all with my Marth, while in 2006 I couldn't beat ANY of them [except Ken]), and everyone who wasn't as top as they were many of them I 4 stocked (I do not want to drop names though, but it happened to many of them). When I tell people to get better by just "play a lot" I mean that really is the EASIEST (and most fun) way to get better. In Brawl, what I did was I just spent tons of time trying to get good as EARLY as possible, and then I'd have that huge advantage for later on. I put super effort, especially right after MLG was announced, and it really paid off a lot. Again not going to drop names but A -LOT- of top pros I faced at orlando I 3 stocked either in the tournament or in friendlies. The hard work of improving, and constantly going to tournaments to stay fresh and test new ideas, really paid off a lot. If you can reach a certain point you will even be able to jv 5 stock people. As of today, I've done probably like, I dunno, 80+ Jv 5s (I used to keep track but half way through I just estimate) maybe? Just find a perfect style, by experimenting. Experiment until you can beat them without even taking damage. That's what I did when I was in my marth's prime (my marth used to be 10 X better than it is now sadly).

note : I do NOT recommend playing alone like I did to get better. I have OCD, and actually ENJOYED playing alone. I'm a weird exception. I have talked to many people around that time saying "how do you get better" and when I told them I played alone and figured out situations by myself and practiced tech skill and all of that (the problem with that is, once your controller becomes bad, all the muscle memory is wasted which really sucks), and they tried it, it didn't do much for them. So, I recommend just playing people. It's the easiest and most effective way, even though it's not what I did most of the time.

I'd like to hear a little more about what you meant by "practice alone". Trying to get yourself to control your character (tech skill) how you want too (waveshine for a simple example) is simple enough that anyone can do. And creating answers to situations you might be having doesn't really require any practice alone time. You just need to think of some solution you think might work and test it out in match. Otherwise, I'm not sure what else one can practice on their own time.

Unless you mean some minor details such as a character attacks on a particular side when getting up and you might determine if you can tech chase on reaction. A lot of this sort of thing adds up over time.

Bones0

Smash Legend
You should definitely try blogging. Personally, I prefer talking to myself out loud (lol crazy, I know) to do anything ranging from different strategies I am interested in trying next time I get to play to remembering what errands I will have to take care of on a given day. If you found yourself not expecting to type much and you end up typing a **** load (I do this all the time), I feel like it usually means you're holding stuff in, either ideas, emotions, anything really. You should try keeping up a blog on the DBR site and see if it helps you. Not only does expressing thoughts through speech/blogs/whatever help to make those thoughts very vivid and clear in your head, but it provides a certain catharsis that is just refreshing for your mind. It's actually really similar to when you are trying to think of a word for over a minute and then you finally get it and the moment when it clicks in your brain it's just a surge of mental adrenaline. @.@

Zgetto

Smash Ace
@ Icy - the last man standing at Apex doesn't mean he's the best necessarily. It means he's the champion. You can't just pick one biased tournament and say they are the best if they win that, otherwise, unless that same person wins everything else too, it just means they are the champion and then what, does all the previous big events not count then? "Best" is a subjective word based around overall reputation (and also people will just say their opinion regardless anyway). It is understandable for people to say Armada is the best because of his overall tournament record and consistency, always 1st, 2nd, and one time 4th as his all time low (I think he has overall the best tournament record in past 3 years, same way as I do in Brawl). It's also understandable for people to say Mango is the best from just seeing his skill display (imo the most overall skilled melee player as a whole, same as Ally in Brawl). Same way it is understandable to say Hbox or DrPP is the best for when they had their big reigns of 1st places at many big events for a good period of time.
Mango might be the Best In the Usa but Armada is best in the world by a long shot right now.. I really dont see how thats arguable.(although mango could beat him but thats ntsc only)
He beats everyone in pal and Ntsc id like to see Mango or even PP do that, wich i dont think they could even if they went here.

If Mango really wants to prove hes best in the world or better then Armada, hes gotta beat him in pal to.
Untill then i feel like that title only has been deserved by one person so far.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
isn't jigglypuff vs peach the same in both versions though (both characters are unchanged)? and I'm allowed to say what I want and I'm explaining why I think this. I think mango and ally have the most OVERALL (as in between various characters) skill at melee and brawl respectively, while me and Armada mastered our respective characters the most (Peach and metaknight) + we have the best tournament record(s) in each game (maybe as a result?) without question. I feel like mastering 1 character would have been better for me in melee from the start.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
Lol. I keep coming in here to post and then changing my mind.

@FramePerfect: You realize 95% of the player population gets consistently 4-stocked by M2K, right?

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
Cactus is a *********.

Armada is 1-3 here in America so that makes him best in the world? Better than mango? Really? You sure? Why is that?

Thats directed at anyone who thinks Armada is #1

:phone:

Zgetto

Smash Ace
Cause he beats mango while handicapping himself. Now why is mango #1..? cause he barely beat armada @ genesis 1?

He loses to hungrybox, he beats him right after, same with PP and same with Mango.. now how isnt he #1.. ?
Out of those 4 tournaments he def did best out of the top 4.. and doing that while handcapping himselff.

I know u guys dont see beyond Ntsc, but imo its now time for them to proof if they can win in another version aswell..

Shore Top

Smash Cadet
Every US tourney the crowd is pretty much anti-Armada
Armada is playing a different version of the game - NTSC

Mango would not fare as well in another country without his oh so loving crowd. He needs the attention. Your environment can have a big effect on your performance.

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
So NTSC is harder than PAL.

So why have mango and hbox, who have had better tournament placings than armada, here in america (a harder version of the game) with puff? A character umchanged in PAL. Theyve gone against much more fierce competition and against better characters yet are inferior to aramada who has won A tournament.

Thats worded poorly, 8am johns.

Moral of the story: mango and hbox have dominated in the harder NTSC version. They play a PAL character. I see a problem with ur logic.

Shore Top

Smash Cadet
HBox has long since dominated, and I think Armada would beat Mango's puff today. Armada still took down Mango's fox, which is a favorable matchup for fox, on top of the fact that NTSC fox is stonger than PAL.

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
Once. One performance does not a career make.

basically what i meant with that last post i made is:

Mango is playing a harder version than Armada does.
Mango has more dominant tournament placings here in the harder version.
Armada does not.
Armada > Mango? Nope.

Zgetto

Smash Ace
I like how mango is suddenly a puf player now.. that time is long gone.' But whatever favors for you

And im talking bout he plays a ****ing different version.. ok except for hungrybox wich stays the same.
Armada is used to pal, he has to adjust, edge quarding fox is waay different, mango and hungry dont kno anything else.

Playing Ntsc isnt whats hard.. playing a different version is what is.

Its ok to be mango's fanboy but im just saying armada has proven himself in the WORLD not just Nstc.. your really being ignorant right now.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Lol why does every thread somehow related to Genesis 2 turn into Armada vs Mango

I hate you all <3

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i think roneblaster is gonna get blown up at apex

i think i see armada winning

we'll see though

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
Ive never though PP was better than mango, but he beat ur #1 player last time it mattered.

@Choknater 20$ side bet on that? Ill do any kind you want, mango finishers higher, which one of them will win, who will win the head-to-head, etc.

Top Bottom