• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dancing Blade is the best move in the game

Alterhalo

Smash Journeyman
Ahh the true power has been revealed about DB why EL are you telling other people this they will now know!

Now back to lurking!

Inle~Orichas

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone know for a fact what the frame advantage for marth's dancing blade is between attacks?

Example: after the 2nd hit upwards. Would I have enough frames to do something else?

Just wondering if this attack could be canceled to confuse the opponent effectively, maybe deal as much damage as possible before grabbing/jabbing/jump->Nair. Who knows, this might actually be applicable.

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
No decay means no need to regenerate your moves since none of them will ever...decay.
I know this, what Im saying is...

DB being a kill move is great. However every other character is strengthened as well. Is the difference positive or negative for Marth?

Snakes jabs and tilts will become even more godly. Metaknight...down smash, exc... King Dedede's chaingrab will do more damage, Ice Climbers will need less chaingrabs to reach kill %. Marth loses one advantage (the ability to regenerate moves easier then other chars) for another. Other characters become way better.

On the brightside, DDB4 will do about 21% as opposed to the 15-17 it does now. :)

bludhoundz

Smash Ace
Does anyone know for a fact what the frame advantage for marth's dancing blade is between attacks?

Example: after the 2nd hit upwards. Would I have enough frames to do something else?

Just wondering if this attack could be canceled to confuse the opponent effectively, maybe deal as much damage as possible before grabbing/jabbing/jump->Nair. Who knows, this might actually be applicable.
I think if you're going to cancel the DB combo, it's best to do so after the first swipe.

I could be wrong though.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I think you underestimate just how good a never decaying dancing blade would be.

14% everytime with one of the fastest and longest ranged moves? AT LEAST? Holy **** man, I'm practically getting wet.

Oh and like killing metaknight at 80%.

Snake does not top that power.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
no it isn't snakes uptilt is.
You're kidding right? It's broken by all means, but it doesn't have much use beyond punishing/juggling. I'd say MK upB is more, it trashes approaches of all kinds on top of making arguably the best early gimping move and great recovery.
I think you underestimate just how good a never decaying dancing blade would be.

14% everytime with one of the fastest and longest ranged moves? AT LEAST? Holy **** man, I'm practically getting wet.

They are looking less at how good it would be without decay, and looking more at how much more broken every other attack would get in terms of damage/knockback. Whorenado would be scary without decay.

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee

If dancing blade never decayed it would do like 16-22%, every time. The last hit would have enough knockback to send the opponent off the stage to the ledge where Marth loves to be. Not to mention its risky to DI because it can kill vertically or horizontally. I guess I did underestimate it xP

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
You're kidding right? It's broken by all means, but it doesn't have much use beyond punishing/juggling. I'd say MK upB is more, it trashes approaches of all kinds on top of making arguably the best early gimping move and great recovery.

They are looking less at how good it would be without decay, and looking more at how much more broken every other attack would get in terms of damage/knockback. Whorenado would be scary without decay.
Tornado would also have more knockback and would be easier to DI out of.

Inle~Orichas

Smash Journeyman
I think if you're going to cancel the DB combo, it's best to do so after the first swipe.

I could be wrong though.
That, and the third hit down retreats Marth a little to help avoid shield grabs and such.
Oh well, guess the best thing to do with a dancing blade is to simply insert this ridiculously amazing sword combo into the middle of an unfortunate opponents laggy whiff. That and its good to eat up a shield or last through a spot dodge. Dancing blade is a eerily reliable punisher.

**Havok**

Smash Lord
14% everytime with one of the fastest and longest ranged moves?

lol the startup range on DB is NOT long at all.

and it wouldn't kill MK at %80 tippered fresh if the MK DI's towards the stage and up.

**Havok**

Smash Lord
The last two hits for sure (not the blue one).

not the 2nd since the red hits downward.
lol by the time you use the entire DB just to use the last 4th red one, it's pretty dam* obvious what you're doing and you'll get punished.

Self-kun

Smash Rookie
I knew that Dancing Blade was a good move, but.... ****. All of that stuff to say about it.

Inle~Orichas

Smash Journeyman
Hmmmm...

I've been thinking about other uses of Dancing Blade, and I think that edge guarding off-stage might be one of them. What you need to do is jump off stage and use the first three attacks of dancing blade. What I'm thinking is that if you start to attack, you'll be able to string together the other attacks and bring your opponent closer to the bottom of the screen. If you hit with the first of dancing blade and your opponent is above you to some degree, you should probably F-air as this is probably not going to work as planned. but if not, it might be worthwhile to do the following:

To put it simply, use the first 3 downward oriented attacks. What this could do is not only gimp your opponent, but move your enemy either diagonally away from the stage without a midair jump (If your enemy was farther away) or severely below the stage (if your enemy was in the spike hitbox).

Now you may ask why in the world you would do this in lieu of a spaced F-air. I think it might be possible to use this as a wall of hit boxes that as dancing blade is famously known for hitting through opponents attacks, and also for its long duration. Plus, imagine the look on your opponent's face when you spike them with a dancing blade!

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
Hmmmm...

I've been thinking about other uses of Dancing Blade, and I think that edge guarding off-stage might be one of them. What you need to do is jump off stage and use the first three attacks of dancing blade. What I'm thinking is that if you start to attack, you'll be able to string together the other attacks and bring your opponent closer to the bottom of the screen. If you hit with the first of dancing blade and your opponent is above you to some degree, you should probably F-air as this is probably not going to work as planned. but if not, it might be worthwhile to do the following:

To put it simply, use the first 3 downward oriented attacks. What this could do is not only gimp your opponent, but move your enemy either diagonally away from the stage without a midair jump (If your enemy was farther away) or severely below the stage (if your enemy was in the spike hitbox).

Now you may ask why in the world you would do this in lieu of a spaced F-air. I think it might be possible to use this as a wall of hit boxes that as dancing blade is famously known for hitting through opponents attacks, and also for its long duration. Plus, imagine the look on your opponent's face when you spike them with a dancing blade!
There is just one small problem with your argument, DB IS NOT A SPIKE. Sure the 3rd hit can pull your opponent down to some degree but its even weaker as a spike than kirby or fox's dair. Using dancing blade offstage can get you stagespiked or SD'd if you accientally finish DB with the down variation.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
It isn't too practical, but I do like doing Side, Up, Down, Up as a combination, since if you space it right you can still hit with all of it and imo third down is one of the best if you can continue it, plus it looks awesome.

Also @ spiking with third hit: No, just no.

Inle~Orichas

Smash Journeyman
I don't necessarily mean you have to hit with the hitbox that sends the opponent down, but I have noticed that it has surprisingly good knockback when it doesn't spike. Btw, this isn't a definite strategy, I was just wondering if it was possible to use in lieu of other tactics. It is very risky, I agree. I would never have anyone use this against a MK, or other stage spiking recoveries.

Are there any other techniques that might be possible outside of usual DB use?

EDIT: I just thought of something, because dancing blade turns you around, could you use it in the air to continuously use B-airs in the direction of your opponent as a quick way to turn around? I might use this if your F-airs are getting stale and you don't want to get punished for a Dancing Blade or a smash. Once again I'm just theorizing.

Scott!

Smash Lord
Using DB1 in the air to turn away from the opponent to bair them? That seems very impractical. I mean, maybe it's not outside the realm of possibility that this could be used once in a rare while very situationally, but I kind of doubt it. DB1 has enough lag to keep this from being an effective surprise move. I'd rather hit them with a stale fair, but that's just me.

If you're thinking of using bair like fair, as a wall of sorts, then I would recommend thinking again. Bair has lag. I don't know how punishable it is if it's perfectly spaced, but I get a feeling it would leave you pretty open. I'd only throw it out as a mix up, and even then, not really much at all. I'd also want bair to not be stale, since it can be a kill move if they get up to higher percents.

Stale moves aren't going to be that big of a deal with Marth anyway, thanks to the move this thread is about. Almost nothing refreshes moves faster.

BBoyindo

Smash Ace
@ Scott
Turning around with db1 is of course not to be used as a replacement for fair, but it has some use. Instead of retreating fair from the ledge, you can db1 away from the stage and hit a bair through the stage. Not always usefull, since you don't want it to be stale, but it hits further then fair so it's an ok option.

Inle~Orichas

Smash Journeyman
Using DB1 in the air to turn away from the opponent to bair them? That seems very impractical. I mean, maybe it's not outside the realm of possibility that this could be used once in a rare while very situationally, but I kind of doubt it. DB1 has enough lag to keep this from being an effective surprise move. I'd rather hit them with a stale fair, but that's just me.
QFT

The lag at the end of DB1 makes the above tactic near useless. Wish it could have been a few frames faster, just to at least be comparable with F-air. I found that Short Hopping into the DB turnaround is possible, but then you could just F-air anyways.

Does anyone else have any experimental Dancing Blade tactics they'd like to share? I'd be willing to test them.

BBoyindo

Smash Ace
QFT

The lag at the end of DB1 makes the above tactic near useless. Wish it could have been a few frames faster, just to at least be comparable with F-air. I found that Short Hopping into the DB turnaround is possible, but then you could just F-air anyways.

Does anyone else have any experimental Dancing Blade tactics they'd like to share? I'd be willing to test them.
I did, but i'm keeping it for myself:)
Also people can just RAR

Inle~Orichas

Smash Journeyman
An example of being punished for DB might include mis-spacing the first hit while your opponent rolls behind you and then does what ever he wants.

I wonder if that reaction in itself could be punished.

I mean to say that you could appear that you've mis-spaced your DB but really are planning to punish the laggy Forward roll with a Dolphin Slash or something. Dancing Blade in general is a way to mess with a players mind.

ark-angel

Smash Cadet
idk if it already but this guide should be put in that list of guides by umm it either steel or timmy either or but still put it in there or stikie

Top Bottom