• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Confirmed Character Discussion (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

I Like Smash...

Smash Apprentice
WHOA WHOA WHOA!!! Hey now! What's the deal here? I said Jiggs will most likely be coming back and we shouldn't have to worry about her. She's a great fighter and has been here from the beginning, why wouldn't Jiggs show up again?
i was only kidding...
silly...
some people are speculating that Pikachu will be the only Pokemon (not from the 3rd of 4th generations i mean) returning in Brawl as a PC...
im just concerned Sakurai might try to appease those making such bold statements...
but as far as im aware Jiggsy is still pretty popular in Japan, right???
thats the only reason it was in the first game to begin with if im not mistaken...

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
I think a newcomer will be here before E3.
I would pee myself literally if that one was in but I would rather Weavel though he is the second most popular so him(forgot his friggin name)for the win!

Well of course there's more speculation about newcomers than anything else. Newcomers is such a vast and unrestrained topic. A newcomer could be anyone from King Dedede to Dark Samus to Geno to Mach Rider to the Mii to Sakurai and Miyamoto themselves.
Of course, we just don't know. If Miyamoto was in, that would be god tier.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
I say ness will be reveled or Flaco. I think if falco makes it(wich he will) he will not be a secret character
If that's the case, I'd expect Wolf or Krystal to be a secret character then. It just seems like SF deserves an unlockable character in one way or another.

The rAt

Smash Ace
In a constant state of self-examination. In MN.
Bah, we don't need anymore new characters; four and a half are enough. Bring on the Smash!

But seriously, I'm going to go out on a limb and say we're not going to see anymore newcomers as starter characters (and thus no newcomers for awhile). Why? In Melee, that's exactly what we got; Ice Climbers, Peach, Bowser, and Zelda/Shiek; four and a half characters. All other new characters were unlockable.

I see no reason whatsoever to think that Meta Knight is an unlockable character. Why would we get unlockable characters before starters? What sense does it make for Sakurai to say "Hey check out these new characters! Now say goodbye to them and hello to the ones you'll actually be starting with!" Some folks are saying that Snake is unlockable, which I don't really believe because I haven't seen a source confirming or denying that yet, but assuming it is true it could have something to do with the fact that he's a third party character and could have initially been included in trailors and such to blow us fans out of the water (which I would say it accomplished rather effectively at the time).

NintendoWarrior

Smash Lord
Bah, we don't need anymore new characters; four and a half are enough. Bring on the Smash!

But seriously, I'm going to go out on a limb and say we're not going to see anymore newcomers as starter characters (and thus no newcomers for awhile). Why? In Melee, that's exactly what we got; Ice Climbers, Peach, Bowser, and Zelda/Shiek; four and a half characters. All other new characters were unlockable.

I see no reason whatsoever to think that Meta Knight is an unlockable character. Why would we get unlockable characters before starters? What sense does it make for Sakurai to say "Hey check out these new characters! Now say goodbye to them and hello to the ones you'll actually be starting with!" Some folks are saying that Snake is unlockable, which I don't really believe because I haven't seen a source confirming or denying that yet, but assuming it is true it could have something to do with the fact that he's a third party character and could have initially been included in trailors and such to blow us fans out of the water (which I would say it accomplished rather effectively at the time).
There was a link awhile back where Sakurai said all 3rd parties would be unlockables.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
There was a link awhile back where Sakurai said all 3rd parties would be unlockables.
I remember seeing someone say that before, but have yet to see the link.

I'm of the same mind set as The rAt on this. The point of secret characters is that they're secrets. If we already know they're there, what's the point?

Jolts_D

Smash Apprentice
Mario, Link, Kirby, Pikachu, Fox, Samus, Zelda, Bowser, Pit, and Wario.
Those are the current starters, I think, since those are the only ones that the official site mentions, even though others are officially confirmed (like Metaknight, Solid Snake, and Zero Suit Samus).
I have a question, though. If Zelda's in it, is Seik also?

Whisk

Smash Apprentice
It's good to know that Pit and Metaknight are in it, they both look like interesting characters to play as (even though I haven't played much of the Kirby series and have never seen the game Kid Icarus.) I just hope they don't throw too much of the veterans out. But I still hope to see plenty of newcomers when the game is released.

The rAt

Smash Ace
You know, every so often someone who's been here for awhile goes on a typewritten tyrade about n00bs who don't bother paying attention to what's already been said. Usually I skim these posts with a certain hypocritical sense of self-satisfaction that it wasn't me that got mad and chewed out the new guy. Sometimes, I'm the one writing them. This is one of the latter.

Jolts_D, so far as I have seen, the site says NOTHING about who is unlockable and who is starters, and I'm fairly certain this entire topic has been very nearly devoted to who has and has not shown up on the official site (hence the title), not to mention the fact that I just spent an entire post breaking down why the characters whom you just claimed won't be starters (with no arguement regarding why you think that) most likely WILL be starters. Also, the question of Sheik was just argued to death, revived, beaten, molested, then argued to death again not but a few pages back, and would take about thirty seconds check through and read before you post. Read before you post ****it.

Please excuse the hate as I'm sure it makes me a total jerk, but come on. Sensai, I think I'm beginning to see your point...

P.S. I like the 2nd quote in your sig, though.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Some town in New Jersey Mains: Link, Falco, Ganond
^^^^
@Whisk:
Well if you have a Wii I recommend splurging some Wii-points for Kid Icarus. It's definitely one of the better and most challenging games of the NES generation. The music is beautiful and the gameplay is somewhat a cross between Metroid and Ice Climbers, which are both good games. If you don't have a Wii, or Wii-points for that matter, I recommend downloading an emulator and a Kid Icarus rom. You won't be disappointed.

Well if Meta Knight isn't a starter character I'll eat my hat. Having only Pit and Wario isn't really a good start for the newcomer lineup. I can understand why Zamus wouldn't be a starter, and Snake is going to be unlockable because he's 3rd party, but they've already given us Meta Knight and we know so much about him. I just think Sakurai has possibly forgotten about Meta? Hopefully not, because I really want to see some of his moves.

Devastlian

Smash Lord
As usual people jump to conclusions from what Mr. Sakurai said.

From SamuraiPanda's Thread, (ignore the first summary section) 251-260:

"....Sakurai says that having Snake as a hidden character rather than be part of the starting line-up is more fitting for a guest character."

So, it, like most of the stuff that came from the Contribution Fist isn't very definitive. Regardless of being secret or not, the companies that own the characters probably want people to know they're there before the game comes out. They probably don't want to rely on word of mouth to let their fans know that their character is in.

Whisk

Smash Apprentice
@Dyce: Well, I don't have the Nintendo Wii at current, but I plan on getting one soon with the money from my job (I don't work during this summer). I'll consider giving Kid Icarus a try I guess, since I am rather fond of mythology.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
As much as I would rather someone buy Kid Icarus on VC instead of download it "illegally", the VC version does not feature passwords, a key component of the original. If you want the "true" experience, check out a ROM.

Whisk

Smash Apprentice
Get off mah shoulder!
(Now I know how the Squirtle in the PokeFloats level feels.)

...and just to add, the character Dr. Wright has just been confirmed as an Assist Trophy. I think I remember him as a trophy in Melee...

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Were I the angel, I'd have to sing in my operatic falsetto just because it's silly and angelic. ZOMG Better idea: were I an angel, I could be PIT! Ohh, sweetness. =)

And you are correct, sir! Dr. Wright was, in fact, a trophy in Melee.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
As usual people jump to conclusions from what Mr. Sakurai said.

From SamuraiPanda's Thread, (ignore the first summary section) 251-260:

"....Sakurai says that having Snake as a hidden character rather than be part of the starting line-up is more fitting for a guest character."

So, it, like most of the stuff that came from the Contribution Fist isn't very definitive. Regardless of being secret or not, the companies that own the characters probably want people to know they're there before the game comes out. They probably don't want to rely on word of mouth to let their fans know that their character is in.
That's some pretty smooth thinking, especially considering the latest Dojo update: "Dr. Wright". Of course I am assuming that SimCity will have a newer version emerging, possibly on the Wii? Why else would Will Wright (Notice any connection?) want one of his past characters to appear on a predictably best-selling Wii title? ((Shh...not free money to develop Spore, I'm going somewhere with this.)) I think that we may be able to look at Assist Capsules as foreshadowing for upcoming Wii games.

EDIT: That is in addition to the whole idea that Trophies from Melee will be Characters/Nintendaids in the sequel.

Whisk

Smash Apprentice
@Aeris: Actually, I'm a girl... XD
And yes, Pit = Angel Pwnage, can't wait till Brawl comes out so I can play as him.

The rAt

Smash Ace
You know, even in spite of the clever little trick about looking for colors before jumping to conclusions that was suggested awhile back (dyce was it you?), I still fell for the old character confirmation/assist trophy switcheroo. Not that I'm complaining, mind you. I'd consider myself fairly neutral on this particular character. I just thought I'd highlight how much I feel like an idiot right now. Well played, Sakurai. Well played, indeed.

On a slightly more helpful note, yet more pictures of Assist Trophies in action where the trophy user appears nowhere in sight (as everyone appears to be taking damage from his attack). I'm going to go ahead and restate the idea that Assist Trophies take the place of the user for a period of time.

Feel free to change the subject if you don't want to revist the issue.

Andy

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
@Aeris: Actually, I'm a girl... XD
And yes, Pit = Angel Pwnage, can't wait till Brawl comes out so I can play as him.
And I'm a guy! Haha, I meant "sir" in a general sense, though, to fit the phrase that I used. I didn't actually mean to imply a gender, despite how it may have sounded.

Gahh, I'm super excited for Pit! I'm starting up the game and testing him out right away.

The rAt

Smash Ace
Aeris you are sexist and you are going straight to h***. Didn't you know that those two things are hopelessly interconnected? :p

Also, holy heck, we've got like three posts just in the time it took me to write that last one!

Edit: **** me and my crazy colors and bad spelling!

Devastlian

Smash Lord
That's some pretty smooth thinking, especially considering the latest Dojo update: "Dr. Wright". Of course I am assuming that SimCity will have a newer version emerging, possibly on the Wii? Why else would Will Wright (Notice any connection?) want one of his past characters to appear on a predictably best-selling Wii title? ((Shh...not free money to develop Spore, I'm going somewhere with this.)) I think that we may be able to look at Assist Capsules as foreshadowing for upcoming Wii games.

EDIT: That is in addition to the whole idea that Trophies from Melee will be Characters/Nintendaids in the sequel.
Apparently Dr. Wright is owned by Nintendo since Nintendo themselves made the game and own the character. (Look here at the end of the first post.) Spore looks kinda lame anyway. :x

Also, ya, Samurai Goroh and Dr. Wright look almost identical to their SSBM trophies...

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Some town in New Jersey Mains: Link, Falco, Ganond
You know, even in spite of the clever little trick about looking for colors before jumping to conclusions that was suggested awhile back (dyce was it you?), I still fell for the old character confirmation/assist trophy switcheroo. Not that I'm complaining, mind you. I'd consider myself fairly neutral on this particular character. I just thought I'd highlight how much I feel like an idiot right now. Well played, Sakurai. Well played, indeed.
Haha yea it was me, but no worries, I almost got overly excited myself. All you need to do is after reading the title of the update take a more than quick look at the color to the left. Green means go look if a character even makes an appearence, Yellow means slow down and take a breath because this one's only going to be fighting beside you, Red means STOP EVERYTHING YOU'RE DOING AND GET READY TO DROOL AT THIS FANCY NEW ADDITION TO THE TEAM!!!

EDIT:
To continue my color coded chart:
Purple means you're going to be humming the rest of the day.
Orange so far means that you're about to say to yourself: "Oh that's pretty neat."
Light Blue means you're about to read something you already know.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
Deva: Ooh, I misread the first time, I thought Dr. Wright was from the PC SimCity. My mistake. ((Sorry you don't get your own cute little quote-box-window-thingy, but I "multiquoted" the wrong post. :ohwell:))

On a slightly more helpful note, yet more pictures of Assist Trophies in action where the trophy user appears nowhere in sight (as everyone appears to be taking damage from his attack). I'm going to go ahead and restate the idea that Assist Trophies take the place of the user for a period of time.

Feel free to change the subject if you don't want to revist the issue.

Andy
I'll still back you on that one. ^^

Haha, that's funny, because the FIRST thing I did when reading the update was check for color, but I checked subconsciously. Something like my intuition caused me to look for color before name. Laugh out loud because you fell for it. ;p

I actually thought it was Wolfy (WGWolverine?) who first suggested the idea. Or perhaps it WAS Dyce as he claims...I'm too tired for this.

Red means STOP EVERYTHING YOU'RE DOING AND GET READY TO DROOL AT THIS FANCY NEW ADDITION TO THE TEAM!!!
Your retina just got owned by the next six and a half minutes of your lifetime. Only Sakurai saw this one coming.

And I'm a guy! Haha, I meant "sir" in a general sense, though, to fit the phrase that I used. I didn't actually mean to imply a gender, despite how it may have sounded.

Gahh, I'm super excited for Pit! I'm starting up the game and testing him out right away.
Haha...wow...awk-ward (fruity vocal trill added on for effect).

Ogre_Deity_Link

Smash Lord
Whatever any of the cases may be...

Please OH PLEASE make Link faster. I pray every night that the powers that be will make Link halfway decent and give him a chance to stand up to the faster characters.

ANY LINK FORM FTW!!!!

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I was kinda disappointed with this update. ATs aren't going to really impress me anymore =/

Anyway, Link looks faster in Brawl now if you look at the trailers.

Wrath`

Smash Master
Hmm, ok update. Biulding blast!!!. But i hope we get a character,i mean sakura has got us addicted to this a character a week drug

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
You guys kidding? I happen to like this updat a lot. That building blast looks like a good K.O. manuever.
Link...it would be fine if he was faster but that would make his character broken. That is like saying make Fox slower and lighter. He is way to fast and heavy. Leave Links speed but I personally want is Fsmash from 64 back.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
@ Rhyme
Yeah I suggested my patented slow scroll technique the day we got Goroh as an AT. I haven't been in on this discussion in a few days. But we haven't had any good updates character wise in a few days XD

I'm going through character withdrawal

chiyo-chan' dad

Smash Ace
Whatever any of the cases may be...

Please OH PLEASE make Link faster. I pray every night that the powers that be will make Link halfway decent and give him a chance to stand up to the faster characters.

ANY LINK FORM FTW!!!!
Yeah, you think how big his ganes are, you would think he be a bit better.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
This is a CONFIRMED character discussion you sillies...

So, what do you guys think of warios moves, I for one cant wait to put them into a combo..

If any of his moves send them strait up (ness's old Dair comes to mind) then he will be a beast, those moves just always rock me socks..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom