• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Confessions of a Mario Main

~Pink Fresh~

Smash Master
I Wanted to Main Mario post release (like 2 weeks), since my friend started playing mario, but I didn't like using the same character as him, (loldittos) so I picked up Lucas D:

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I Wanted to Main Mario post release (like 2 weeks), since my friend started playing mario, but I didn't like using the same character as him, (loldittos) so I picked up Lucas D:
<---Liked Lucas ALOT while playing SSE and seriously considered maining him over Sonic and Mario.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427

I was originally going to main Pit when Brawl came out, and then I decided he was too floaty and awkward and campy.

Picture taken on the Halloween before USA Brawl release.

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
I was originally going to main Meta Knight. That worked out well. lol

ThatGuy

Smash Master
I wanted to write a sick guide on how to win with an offensive Mario, with interpretations on why Boss does what he does, explanations of why I do what I do, and why you should do or not do them based on how you want to play.

Unfortunately, I got lazy and put it off for some time. I wonder if I'll ever get started on it. If I get going on it I'll make it a WIP, as reading a big block of a guide at once is too much to take in...

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I wanted to write a sick guide on how to win with an offensive Mario, with interpretations on why Boss does what he does, explanations of why I do what I do, and why you should do or not do them based on how you want to play.
Y'know, I should add that to my guide.

I mean the whole analysis on why Boss does what he does. I have a pretty decent idea why he uses certain strategies.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
This is what I hate about Mario...his awesome looking but stupidly horrible Fair. Ugh, it throws off my whole combo game sometimes due to my main being Luigi and secondary Mario sometimes, I forget that i'm not Luigi and mess up with Mario's fair, slow and terrible move.

BSP

Smash Legend
yeah, fair's not one of his greatest moves. I hate it when i try to jab cancel into a d smash, and end up buffering a D tilt...yall can guess what happens next

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I've seen quite a few Marios make Fair look epic. It DOES have a few setups with fireballs.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I'll be that odd one out and say that Fair is Mario's 2nd worst move.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
It's nice to see a lot of confessions around the day of atonement. At least you have all confessed.

My newest confession is that I feel like I know almost everything about Mario, but only on a piece of paper. Right now, I'm unable to use all his various possibilities in battle at the right time.

Cold Fusion

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ JIGGLYPUFF OR RIOT ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Guys, I have to confess. I don't actually main Mario. I don't even use Mario
You are not supposed to know that
. I main Jigglypuff.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Confession: The little face at the bottom lies. I am one of you now.

(B-reverse fireballs are too awesome)

Calebyte

Smash Lord
Alright guys, I have a confession to make. Oh boy, this is tough.

Well, here goes....Idon'tknowhowtofightSamus!!!!

There it is. I've lost to Samus (by talented player, but still). I just get forced to approach with missles, and then zaired into oblivion. I can't beat Samus guys, what should I do? :(

NNID
LilG912
Cape and powershield her missles, Samus is rly scared of Mario's cape. Samus is very bad up-close, just go up-close and pressure her to death. Samus can't outcamp Mario w/ the zair and missiles. Just shield the Zair then approach her.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Camp her hard and PS Zair. Don't really know what else to say. Haven't played a good Samus in a while now.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Composer, right? Yeah, stay grounded until you get inside. Be careful of falling uairs, though on (your) juggles and Samus' Up-B comes out faster than people realize.

You've got awesome DI, so if you're in that, you should be able to get out alright.

[EDIT:] My confession: I can't seem to get wins against R.O.B. and get wrecked more than I should. I just don't know what I'm doing wrong in that matchup, but it's keeping me from higher placings.

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
For Samus: Fireball to death. Stay about 1/3 stage length away and fireball camp. When you're in close, Mario tornado works exceptionally well, and jab-->down smash does as well. Mario's nair (one the first few frames iirc) can stop a power missile, but I consider this to be more of a psychological advantage. When a Samus sees they can't use one of there bread and butter tactics, it can make the match easier for you.

For ROB: Fireball camp some more. If he tries to side-b the fireballs, you have an assortment of options (smash attack, nair, fair, bair). Also try to land fireballs if ROB is using his boosters.

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
For Samus: Fireball to death. Stay about 1/3 stage length away and fireball camp. When you're in close, Mario tornado works exceptionally well, and jab-->down smash does as well. Mario's nair (one the first few frames iirc) can stop a power missile, but I consider this to be more of a psychological advantage. When a Samus sees they can't use one of there bread and butter tactics, it can make the match easier for you.

For ROB: Fireball camp some more. If he tries to side-b the fireballs, you have an assortment of options (smash attack, nair, fair, bair). Also try to land fireballs if ROB is using his boosters.

Calebyte

Smash Lord
ROB can also be juggled pretty easily. If you get him in a utilt lock at low percents, and follow with some aerials, that's a free 30%-40%

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
ROB can also be juggled pretty easily. If you get him in a utilt lock at low percents, and follow with some aerials, that's a free 30%-40%
Yeah I forgot this. ROBs with bad DI can easy get 60-70% taken off with five up tilts, up smash, and a Mario tornado.

So awesome when it works.

SKidd

Smash Master
ROB is ****
but how come all the newcomers **** in brawl, and all the oooold veterans are terrible?

Calebyte

Smash Lord
ROB is ****
but how come all the newcomers **** in brawl, and all the oooold veterans are terrible?
Lol, a quick look at the tourney results thread shows the same people placing consistently within their region, all of them veteran players. So uh, what are you talking about?

mars16

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5429-8906-2115
My confessions is............

I can't pull off an eczact combo with Mario *sniff*

Top Bottom